• Publisher: SCEA
  • Also On: PC
9.1

1. Mergal
    Jan 7, 2009
    I was surprised for how long this game was! 4 discs on a playstation! i really don't know how people finish that in 10 hours! i took about 40 hours, having fun in the mini games a bit on the way... replaying the wall market side quests section for how taboo it was, i suppose. i really don't know any other game with a crossdresser as the protagonist; adding in a brothel, and a gymI was surprised for how long this game was! 4 discs on a playstation! i really don't know how people finish that in 10 hours! i took about 40 hours, having fun in the mini games a bit on the way... replaying the wall market side quests section for how taboo it was, i suppose. i really don't know any other game with a crossdresser as the protagonist; adding in a brothel, and a gym for gay men. I really don't know any other game that would have those things. o.o so, i'll thank Final Fantasy VII for leading much of the gaming world into 3D and being so creative about it, though i'm only exaggerating the crossdresser comment of the wall market slums part here for kicks. (but, teehee, you could get sexy cologne!) Expand
  2. J.PSin
    Oct 25, 2004
    Greatest game ever.
  3. SethC.
    Nov 18, 2005
    Best RPG (and FF) ever, which makes it all the more tragic that the series has been on a downward spiral (with the exception of FFIX) ever since.
  4. JoshB.
    Jan 18, 2005
    You can tell anybody that never had challenges didnt fight the weapons.
  5. Time_devil
    Oct 31, 2005
    This game is great. It has great graphics and a very unique storyline. It really is a great game worth playing.
  6. ThanasisI.
    Feb 19, 2005
    Perfect Characters! Perfect Story! Perfect Gameplay! JUST PERFECT!!!
  7. JustinDeC.
    Mar 16, 2005
    One of the best Final Fantasy game ever to be created.
  8. RaúlOctavioPérezR.
    Apr 26, 2005
    It´is a wonderful, basically this game has the best story line i have ever seen, thougit´s graphics are not so good, they were good in the time it was created, without this little detail, the game is excellent
  9. Zury
    May 24, 2005
    Like most of the reviewers I agree this is the best game ever, even though it has been out for over 8 years now. It is better than the real world. I can only say 1 thing and that is you MUST play this game. There is a massive gap between my next favourite game Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater and this thats how good FFVII is!! This is one perfect game that will last over 40 hours.
  10. BenD.
    Jul 25, 2005
    In my opinion, this is the greatest game ever. It was this game that established RPGs as my favorite genre of video games. Every aspect of this game is phenomenal from the battle and stats system to the colorful characters and beautiful pre-rendered backgrounds. Buy it! And if you already own it, play it again... and then once more for good measures.
  11. PodgeR.
    Nov 22, 2006
    I've played and beaten all the Final Fantasy games, even now this is still my fave.
  12. AlbinB.
    Dec 14, 2006
    Best game ever... PERIOD.
  13. DanA.
    Dec 20, 2006
    So overrated today. But FF7 still holds up fairly well.
  14. VirginiaG.
    Jun 17, 2006
    This game just totally kicked ass. Best ff game in my opinion. You can spend a lot of time actually trying to achieve all the different materias and events that will happen. It brought interest for me to play more RPG games. People out there that say this is a bad game and is overrated think again. You just can't compare the graphics to the games today. I played it when it first came This game just totally kicked ass. Best ff game in my opinion. You can spend a lot of time actually trying to achieve all the different materias and events that will happen. It brought interest for me to play more RPG games. People out there that say this is a bad game and is overrated think again. You just can't compare the graphics to the games today. I played it when it first came out, it had the best graphics at that time. The storyline may be a bit confusing, but if you are truly a FF fan, you would play the game over a couple of times through, and truly understand what the game was about. Expand
  15. LukeG.
    Dec 11, 2007
    My favorite game of all time. The storyline was amazing and flawless. I have prbly played this game through many times on the pc and playstation the 6 years ive owned it and still want more. It was my first RPG i had ever played and i thought i would find better later on, but i didnt! Wow what a great game!
  16. Oct 28, 2013
    Visually dated (looks like a polygon's backside), but can still incredible. Obtuse in the way most JRPGs are; no journal, unmarked map, poor localisation ("This guy are sick"), withholds information and penalises organic gameplay (whilst rewarding systematic obsessive-compulsive behaviour) but over the space of two discs and a few months I thought Final Fantasy VII was the most beautifulVisually dated (looks like a polygon's backside), but can still incredible. Obtuse in the way most JRPGs are; no journal, unmarked map, poor localisation ("This guy are sick"), withholds information and penalises organic gameplay (whilst rewarding systematic obsessive-compulsive behaviour) but over the space of two discs and a few months I thought Final Fantasy VII was the most beautiful game in the world. Expand
  17. Oct 18, 2013
    Final fantasy VII is an experience so exciting. it begins a new era for the rpg generation in the world
    im really impressive. this game teach me a lot of thing about life,hope and dreams,no videogame could give me a reason to love videogame. in 1997,this game made a step forward to the 3d era. it was amazing and still be...a legend of squaresoft
  18. Mar 12, 2014
    Where to begin with this great game. For an old school game it still looks really good.The characters are one of the most memorable in the series. The greatness not only comes with the story but through the character envelopment. First in the final fantasy series to go 2d with huge wide open environments to explore. The materia system is genius. Where you as a person could realisticallyWhere to begin with this great game. For an old school game it still looks really good.The characters are one of the most memorable in the series. The greatness not only comes with the story but through the character envelopment. First in the final fantasy series to go 2d with huge wide open environments to explore. The materia system is genius. Where you as a person could realistically put any materia on any person. And for the people it is great to see so many great characters that you could use where all would be exceptional to completing the game. The limit system is great 2 with many different abilities for each character that evolve and get better with each level. The exceptionally great side quest, like getting a gold chocobo, are all great that add to the fun and great story this game represents. I recommend this game for every gamer to play at least once it is a classic. Expand
  19. Jan 4, 2015
    Quite simply my favorite game on any system. There's virtually nothing I don't love about this game. I've played it from beginning to end more than 25 times.
    I love the characters, story, music, style, world, combat, magic system...
    I love the characters, story, music, style, world, combat, magic system...
    About the only negative I can really give is that it is in desperate need of a serious graphical update. Hopefully someday Square will get its head out of its ass and give us a proper HD remake.
  20. Mar 22, 2015
    best game of history, the system of materia is awesome. Cloud, Tifa, Barret, Cid, Red XIII, Vincent, yuffie, Caith sith and Sephiroth.... perfection!!.
  21. Mar 29, 2015
    My all time favorite game. The best game ever made, patiently waiting for the remake of this game for the ps4 or the pc master race in 4k :) 10/10 have beat this game 7 times.... So far
  22. May 30, 2015
    This is the most memorable game you can find, and the best. There are so many epic characters, fantastic gameplay, lovely world map, and AWESOME story!

You have many interesting and epic hours if you want to do the story, and even more fun hours if you want to do all of the side quests. This game has also very high replay value, because when you are finished with the game, you will miss everyone and starts the game again after a short period.

The soundtrack on this game is a Masterpiece, you will love it! There are many emotional parts on this game, that is hard to forget. I know the graphics are not perfect, but it's very nostalgic!

This is the greatest game of all time in my personal opinion. Play this game NOW!
  23. Dec 15, 2010
    Formula for an incredible game;
    Memorable characters: check.
    Substantial length: check.
    Complex narrative: check.
    Climactic ending: check.
    Popular to spawn its own mini-series: check.

All this, and other things, make Final Fantasy VII an incredible game, which I will say is NOT overrated.
  24. Dec 8, 2011
    This game is fantastic. By far the best of its time and my favorite and likely the best pure rpg ever. The plot is well written and despite bad graphics this game managesn to make every pixel count. The story is shrowded in mystery and you uncover many twists in the plot that will affect you emotionnaly. It is a game with many secrets and skills at your disposal. Im on my secondThis game is fantastic. By far the best of its time and my favorite and likely the best pure rpg ever. The plot is well written and despite bad graphics this game managesn to make every pixel count. The story is shrowded in mystery and you uncover many twists in the plot that will affect you emotionnaly. It is a game with many secrets and skills at your disposal. Im on my second playthrough and there are still things i want to go back and do. Still secrets i find. Still a game that amazes me Expand
  25. Nov 14, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Hands down the best game I've ever played. Surprising since the first few hours were shaky, and I was only spurred on by my friend telling me I needed to keep going....

First few hours review: The graphics seem dodgy, your character is made out of a triangle or two. You get text instead of voice acting. You get dumped into a battle system that seems unnatural and clunky. The story is an infantile anti-corporate mess. The main character has no personality. 3/10

Final review: The graphics are great, the crappiness of your characters becomes loveable and the technique used for the backgrounds creates a unique and beautiful world, that actually looks great. The world map is awesome, and the variety and sheer character of the environments is breathtaking. At one point you return to the city you started in after being away on your travels for a while and it's an utter joy just because you get to experience the place again. An utterly immersive world.
    The text dialogue overcomes the uselessness of every piece of voice acting ever in a video game, and the script is amazing. I actually care what each person has to say, and I find myself emotionally invested not only in my own character but every one of the supporting cast I pick up along the way.
    The battle system is the best I have ever used, you will find yourself using every technique it has to offer, magic, summons and melee all have their place and you will use them equally. The balance is perfect, if you follow the story without spending hours levelling up for the sake of it each battle is just the right difficulty.
    The story itself is a piece of artistic genius. I never cared so much about a computer game, ever. It has all the action, comedy and drama you would ever want, and then goes further to touch on deeper subjects like destiny, good and evil, the meaning of life, love, death, self worth, all of that stuff. Just beautiful. At times you will struggle to hold back tears and in other moments you will be punching the air with win. Your character is a heavily flawed guy, and his victories are not only defeating his enemies, but defeating the significant emotional issues he has been carrying around. It was brave on the part of the writers to put such weaknesses into a main character, but for me it made me root for him way more than if he was standard hero dude with a "kind of troubled" past. This fella is actually a total freak, and to pull himself out of the mental rut he's in gives him more power than could be achieved otherwise. Another wonderful thing about his flaws is they are pretty much the same weaknesses as the bad guy, but because of how Sephiroth deals with them you hate him equally as much as you love Cloud. That's a lot, by the way. This guy is the ultimate badass, and two of his scenes in particular (fire in a village, sword in a back) are the most frightening and shocking things you will see in a video game. A guy that is genetically the same as Cloud, starting with the same identity crisis, but by the end battle so hateful that you are hell bent on annihilating him. Shakespearean I tell ya. And you will be rewarded after the battle with the simplest but most badass automated showdown you could ever see. OOOOOMMMNIIIISLLLASSHHHHH!!!!!!!!!
    Oh and the soundtrack is one of the best ever. Unforgettable.

I could go on, I mean I really could go on for a long time describing all the good things in this game. I've played it over 1000 hours (really) since it came out all those years ago, and nothing has surpassed it for me since. Metal Gear Solid is sitting all scratched up in a press somewhere, Gran Turismo gets whipped out every couple of years for a race or two. Medal of Honour has had about 100 better successors and I don't know where that disc is anymore. Final Fantasy 7 on the other hand will always have a place under my TV. Impossible to beat. If you've never played it, find the game and a psx if necessary. And as my friend told me all those years ago, stick through the first couple of hours, by god will you be glad you did.
  26. RyanG.
    Oct 7, 2008
    The best Rpg ever. To this day, and its all in the story.
  27. Funkymonk
    Apr 26, 2010
    I'm going to have to agree with Chris B B, Raxsah W and the others below who said this is overrated. Look, i'll give the game the credit it deserves; It was the first game to really make RPG's mainstream, perhaps even cool. In some ways it was influential. The graphics, music and storyline set new standards for PS1 and it just felt bigger and more epic then any RPG before I'm going to have to agree with Chris B B, Raxsah W and the others below who said this is overrated. Look, i'll give the game the credit it deserves; It was the first game to really make RPG's mainstream, perhaps even cool. In some ways it was influential. The graphics, music and storyline set new standards for PS1 and it just felt bigger and more epic then any RPG before it. However it has also aged badly in some ways as well. Anyone who isn't blinded by fanboyism can see that this is basically a conventional RPG with dated turn based combat, a good plot and excellent PS1 graphics and sound. Ther's nothing TRULY innovative about FF7 or it's gameplay and that's the point that fanboys calling it the best game ever need to think about (not that they will). There are games on the PS1, even, that are more innovative, with gameplay that TRULY pushes bounderies; Metal Gear Solid for example. So fanboys, you're entitled to your opinion but i think you're all deluded. FF7 is NOT the best game ever. FF7 is NOT the best game on the PS1. FF7 is NOT even the best RPG ever. FF7 is just a very good game. Expand
  28. Sep 7, 2011
    If there was such thing as a perfect game, this would most likely be it. It still outmatches many titles to this date. It's a serious shame there are not many games as good as Final Fantasy 7.
  29. RyanL.
    Sep 4, 2005
    I thought this was a great game but I liked 8 alittle more but other then that one of my top 10s and for those idiots who thinks this game sucks cuz of graphics or no voice acting can go suck a nut you guys arent gamers at all just wanna bes this rpg revolutionized the rpg world nothing came close to it and remember this was made back in 1997.
  30. JerkGuy
    Oct 4, 2007
    I have little if not any respect or regard for anyone
  31. Loel
    Feb 20, 2007
    This RPG game is one of the best games I have ever played. The story line really pulls you in and makes you want to absorb every ounce of detail. The game is so good, you'll find yourself shouting at the bad guys on the screen when your party gets killed. Each character has their own deep story line, not just the generic, "the guy chosen out of random" hero. You'll fall in love This RPG game is one of the best games I have ever played. The story line really pulls you in and makes you want to absorb every ounce of detail. The game is so good, you'll find yourself shouting at the bad guys on the screen when your party gets killed. Each character has their own deep story line, not just the generic, "the guy chosen out of random" hero. You'll fall in love with every one of them, maybe with the exception of Sephiroth. The music score is amazing, matching up to the one in Chrono Trigger, both of which were composed by Nobuo Uematsu. All gamers and non gamers should play this game. Square-Enix did an amazing job of creating the greatest video game of all time. Expand
  32. DennisL.
    Nov 10, 2005
    This was a great game it changed how final fantasy were before this.
  33. JimA.
    May 20, 2005
    Best game ever. Real life would only get a 7/10 in comparison to this world.
  34. peterm
    Jan 21, 2010
    This is the best FF in the series, and if not the best, defiantly one of the best game in any system (from Atari to ps3). The game included wonderful cinematic scenes, incredible story, socking moments, a feeling of connection with the characters and incredible fights. If the older remember the moment in time when FF went from 2d to 3d and made a huge impact in the whole industry with it This is the best FF in the series, and if not the best, defiantly one of the best game in any system (from Atari to ps3). The game included wonderful cinematic scenes, incredible story, socking moments, a feeling of connection with the characters and incredible fights. If the older remember the moment in time when FF went from 2d to 3d and made a huge impact in the whole industry with it stunning backdrops and design. Enix's favourite. Truly innovative for its time. Expand
  35. May 11, 2012
    VERY GOOD GAME! People *cough* I mean kids think the game is bad because of the bad graphics and bad gameplay. Yet the graphics are very good for that time. The gameplay is solid and very well written.
    People so say this game is bad never played through it OR are very young. go back to playing call of duty you kids.
  36. Feb 14, 2013
    I love how people say that it has bad graphics, horrible sounds and music, lame story and bad character development. Can't you people see that it's from 1997? It's the FIRST 3D game in the series. How can you expect a fully-HD realistic game when it's that old? Sure, it's a tad overrated, but that doesn't change the fact that it's awesome. I give it a 10 because it gives me large doses ofI love how people say that it has bad graphics, horrible sounds and music, lame story and bad character development. Can't you people see that it's from 1997? It's the FIRST 3D game in the series. How can you expect a fully-HD realistic game when it's that old? Sure, it's a tad overrated, but that doesn't change the fact that it's awesome. I give it a 10 because it gives me large doses of nostalgia. Expand
  37. OBoi
    Apr 5, 2003
    My favorite game of all time........period.
  38. ChrisC.
    Aug 24, 2007
    Easily the best game ever created. A must buy and all of that jazz. Look at how many people gave it a 10, and then look at how many people gave it a 0. Not to mention that the people who didn't like the game (how, I will never know) never explain why. "Oh, well....the music is bad." Yes, the music is so bad that there are orchestras that tour the U.S. playing the entire FFVII score Easily the best game ever created. A must buy and all of that jazz. Look at how many people gave it a 10, and then look at how many people gave it a 0. Not to mention that the people who didn't like the game (how, I will never know) never explain why. "Oh, well....the music is bad." Yes, the music is so bad that there are orchestras that tour the U.S. playing the entire FFVII score and it sells out instantly. I still get songs from the game stuck in my head probably about twice a week. "CLOUD LOOKS LIKE HE HAS HORSE HOOVES FOR HANDS" Yeah, well, how about you try and go back to 1997 (yes kids, thats a bit over TEN (10) years) with a developer's kit for PS1 and try to do a better job. I am sorry that FFVII does not satisfy every orgasmic graphical, extreme realism, and high definition desire that you've ever wanted. To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if every person who gave a low rating due to graphics is an Xbox360 fanboi. In any event, if you have not played FFVII, I would suggest stopping what you are doing, and running to the nearest EB/Gamestop/Rhino to pick up a copy. The story is phenomenal, the music is widely acclaimed, and the gameplay is intricate and detailed enough that you can customize your playing style, but not so complicated that you get left behind before you can even learn the system. Yes, the game is long. It is very long. It's even longer if you do all the side quests and other fun stuff that they threw in there. The length of the game is something that I love. I have played the game start to finish probably at least 6 or 7 times. Stop reading this and go play it. (and Final Fantasy Tactics, too) Expand
  39. Aug 15, 2011
    This game is still one of the best RPG's ever made, let alone one of the best games ever made. A fantastic narrative, with a story line that builds up enough tension to warrant continuing to play through the rest of the fantastic campaign that this game is based around. Some of the people below who gave it 0 are abosolutely ridiculous and they clearly don't know what makes a well developedThis game is still one of the best RPG's ever made, let alone one of the best games ever made. A fantastic narrative, with a story line that builds up enough tension to warrant continuing to play through the rest of the fantastic campaign that this game is based around. Some of the people below who gave it 0 are abosolutely ridiculous and they clearly don't know what makes a well developed game. As someone who is studying game development I know what I'm talking about and the design aspects are fantastic. Someone below in their review talks about 'no voice'. Voice acting doesn't make a game and also consider the time this masterpiece was made back in 1997 for the rise of the playstation home console system. NOT at all overrated an absolute gem everyone should try, now just need a remake :) Expand
  40. CatF.
    Apr 5, 2003
    I don't like throwing out perfect scores to games that I think are simply "good." This along with a few other games truly deserves it. To me, Final Fantasy VII stands out as one of the most spectacular games in history. It combines a deep, brilliant plot with an inventive magic system, and tops that off with stunning graphics and one of the best sound tracks to date. The game lacks I don't like throwing out perfect scores to games that I think are simply "good." This along with a few other games truly deserves it. To me, Final Fantasy VII stands out as one of the most spectacular games in history. It combines a deep, brilliant plot with an inventive magic system, and tops that off with stunning graphics and one of the best sound tracks to date. The game lacks only in its sound and lack of difficulty, but as an adventure RPG, these elements are not so important. The minor flaws are compensated with everything else this game has to offer. From a story telling point of view, this plot surpasses most fiction novels in creativity, twists, and character development. The materia system offers so much for the player to experiement with. RPGs tend to only offer one or two plays through, but I've found myself going through this game for my 6th time. The only warning I need to offer is that it requires patience. Final Fantasy VII is without a doubt the most memorable game I have ever played and subsequently the most enjoyable game to this day. Expand
  41. EthenM.
    May 24, 2004
    This is the best game ever, and it completely changed my life.
  42. Jun 18, 2011
    The Story of FF VII is well known for a good reason. Its a complex and deep story sucking you in and never letting you out. Also the Materia System is really fun, because you have many and interesting combinations. Great game.
  43. Dec 26, 2011
    best game ever. No videogame storyline has ever affected me in such a way. I've probably played it around 7 or 8 times. But about 6 months after I play it, i want to again. No other game is like that for me. Also, best music. The piano collections are incredible. 8, 9, and 10 are great, but the stories aren't nearly as good. Thats why I'm always surprised to hear 7 isn't somebody's favorite
  44. Apr 9, 2012
    Please excuse me if at any moment i offend any one,but i was just reading all of the bad reviews and i can't believe it.... this game is not only a classic, but its amazing in every way especially for its time. the main character is a mystery. That provides curiosity to the player "whats going on?" "who is this guy?" "what is SOLDIER?" and a billion more questions. Its has everything itPlease excuse me if at any moment i offend any one,but i was just reading all of the bad reviews and i can't believe it.... this game is not only a classic, but its amazing in every way especially for its time. the main character is a mystery. That provides curiosity to the player "whats going on?" "who is this guy?" "what is SOLDIER?" and a billion more questions. Its has everything it needs to engross a player in to the game the music is catchy and nice. I feel the graphics are good for its time other disagree that's fine because in any case the story makes up for it. this game was and could still be considered one of the best games ever. the fact there is no voice act provides for the mind to work its imagination a bit. if u like sure some things some times make little sense, but these things are just part of what makes it that much better it leaves you wanting more. this game is so good that i freaking played 6h straight slept 4h only to play another 6h. this game is awesome and i still cant believe there exist people who don't like it... it makes me sad. But, seriously get this game u'll love it and if u don't your'e one of the few who can't appreciate true genies. No offense. Expand
  45. Feb 27, 2013
    I dont understand people saying its overrated. The only thing overrated is their inteligence...Its a perfect rpg game with a good development and argument...I can stay long time saying things but it will take me all night long so i leave you with only one word: Masterpiece.
  46. Nov 27, 2012
    I can't believe I'm going to review a game that's 15 years old, but I'm bored so here it goes. When FFVII first came out I was absolutely blown away by it. Asked me then and I would have told you it was the best game ever. Now 15 years later, I will attempt to review it in a more objective manner. I recently made a FF pilgrimage of sorts, playing through every game in the main series,I can't believe I'm going to review a game that's 15 years old, but I'm bored so here it goes. When FFVII first came out I was absolutely blown away by it. Asked me then and I would have told you it was the best game ever. Now 15 years later, I will attempt to review it in a more objective manner. I recently made a FF pilgrimage of sorts, playing through every game in the main series, so my impressions are still fresh in mind. Obviously, I cannot really talk about the graphics as being 15 years old, that's hardly going to be fair. But I do remember how awesome I thought they were as a kid. The battle system made me very nostalgic for the way JRPG's used to be. Simple but deep, and you can clear this game without having to resort to grinding out levels. The game features a wide variety of mini-games, most of which are a great amount of fun (I must have done that snowboarding game about 50 times before I moved on). The big question though is how does the story and characters hold up. I truly hated Advent Children, and honestly I have been pretty disappointed by the Compilation of Final Fantasy VII as a whole. After playing through the game , it was crystal clear why there is a Compilation: The story is one of the finest told in the series. Cloud isn't as emo as he has become, Sephiroth is still a menacing figure, Barrett is still a racist Mr. T. Ripoff, and Rufus Shinra is still the most interesting character. Overall, for all younger gamers I recommend picking this one up on the PSN. Don't miss out on one of the best games in the franchise! Expand
  47. Dec 24, 2012
    Perfect 10!
    Still holds up fine today, and completely outclass most newer games... just have to get used to the dated graphics abit, but after an hour or so into it, you wont even think about graphics anymore.
  48. Jan 17, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. How people can say this game is bad... I have no idea.

No attachent between gamer and characters? I F*****G cried when Aeris died. I was pissed off when Yuffie stole my materia. Every single part of this game had me gripped.

The visuals were great for their time. I know it;s not all about visuals but at the time of creation this was top notch stuff.

The fact that I can still play this today without caring about the visuals AT ALL speaks to the greatness of the story. Epic story arcs and emotional scenes

How many hours of gameplay? a lot more than call of duty : 'let's release the same game again 4' I promise you.

You because you didn't get it.. don't hate on it. Especially when all of your objections are total bull
  49. Dec 17, 2014
    Final fantasy 7 is a fond childhood memory. This is in my top 3 games of all time. Great story, great characters. Plenty of value for money.

A solid 10/10. The type of game that comes along once every few generations.
  50. Mar 6, 2013
    Let me start this review saying this: All the people giving this game low scores shouldn't be taken in consideration. The one thing all of them say that deserve credit is that the game is overrated (and that is the very reason why they feel like the game is not good, also, playing a game with either too much expectation or too much scorn has quite a few chances of making it feel and looksLet me start this review saying this: All the people giving this game low scores shouldn't be taken in consideration. The one thing all of them say that deserve credit is that the game is overrated (and that is the very reason why they feel like the game is not good, also, playing a game with either too much expectation or too much scorn has quite a few chances of making it feel and looks bad).

But how could not this game be overrated? This game saved Square-Soft from its doom, it was the second that sold the most in the PlayStation, and if revolutionized RPG, the graphics and game-play were way ahead of its time (interesting to see that people say that the game has bad graphics, well, aside from the fact that the game is from the PlayStation [and it is not the most beautiful game on the platform], did any of these people have taken in consideration the time in which the game was released? Because it was incredible for its time).

Graphics: 10/10

If I was going to take in consideration all the games released for the PS One, I would probably give FF VII a 8/10, but I'm taking in consideration the time it was released. Simply because it was something ahead of its time, and that is why it received so much praise regarding this, people were stunned by how beautiful this game was, specially when the summons were used.

Sound: 10/10

The soundtrack of this game is a masterpiece. The tracks are either beautiful or awesome, from the Fighting Theme to the World Map's theme (Cloud's theme) to the final boss theme (One Winged Angel), they are all good. Sound effects were also good, though I think some of them could have been a little better, there is nothing wrong with them.

Game-play: 10/10

The combat system is really good even for today's standards. The game features the Materia System, in which the player will use these "crystals" called Materia, which are the materialized source of the planet's energy to use their abilities. The Materias are divided in five types: Command Materia (which allow extra commands in battle), Magic Materia, Summon Materia, Support Materia (can be linked to other Materia to enhance their effects), and Independent Materia (which have many functions, such as stat increases and auto-abilities). Equipment are divided in three main sections: Weapon, Armor and Accessory. Both Weapon and Armor have Materia Slots, and this is where you will place then, there will be a limited number of slots, so think carefully about your strategy. The player will use the Materia accordingly to his needs, it won't be all the time, but there will also be times when it will be required of the player the use of a better strategy to fight some bosses (or even mini-games such as the ones in the Golden Saucer). The characters also have special abilities called "Limit Break", this is basically their strongest attack, which can only be used after the player has received quite some damage and the limit bar is fulfilled.
    The battles work with a turn based system with real time elements, meaning each character and enemy will have its turn, but time also counts here, and if the player takes to long to make a decision that means he is gonna get hurt.

Story: 9,3

- Setting: The world of FF VII could be called a cyberpunk medieval world. It has beasts, legendary monsters, magic, guns, machines and other technological equipments. And the combination results in a very unique and incredible world that will never cease to amaze you. (10/10)
    - Character Delopment: This is what FF VII lacks the most. And yet, it doesn't lack much. Yes, characters could have received more time, but each one of them, except for the side characters, has a moment or two in the story where they are the focus, they're all there for something, and at times, not for the best of reasons, but what can they do? Another very good point of the characters, is that they're all really human, the don't really fall for the "hero stereotype". (8/10)
    - Story Progress: The plot is complex. Aside from the obvious criticism (which is not bad) towards the fact the mankind is ruining the planet by exploring the nature way too much, what stands out is that FF VII is a psychological thriller. You will be taken on a ride to discover the true psyche of the main character, and though at times confusing, it is really rewarding. The plot is also very subtle, as many relevant details tend to be either implied or mentioned only once. Many people still argue about who is the villain of the game because they fail to notice what is implied. Still, it is one of the best, if not the best aspect of the game. (10/10)

Replay Value: 8/10

The main reason to replay FF VII is it story and battles, the game itself is good enough to keep people coming even years after they have finished it, the world offers much to do, and there are quite a few side quests to keep people entertained even after they have finished the game.

Overall: 9, 46/10
  51. AlvinO.
    Mar 8, 2004
    FORGET ALL THE OTHER RPG OUT THERE >>>> This is all you need and will ever need..
  52. Pdiddy
    Jul 15, 2003
    Without a doubt this is the greatest video game ever made. Ever. it stands above even the most modern games in every aspect of its form. Easy to learn systems coupled with constant strategic implications make this the most in-depth RPG ever created. The graphics, while now outdated, where the best that the PS1 ever saw. And then there is the story. This is the only game I have ever played Without a doubt this is the greatest video game ever made. Ever. it stands above even the most modern games in every aspect of its form. Easy to learn systems coupled with constant strategic implications make this the most in-depth RPG ever created. The graphics, while now outdated, where the best that the PS1 ever saw. And then there is the story. This is the only game I have ever played that inspired deap emotions. I even cried at Aeris's death. Game manufactures have never created a masterpeice of this magnitde and never will again. Expand
  53. Dec 14, 2010
    Mmmm...........................materia......................
  54. Oct 2, 2012
    A little tear is coming down on my face thinking that with the horrible games we have today there will never be a masterpiece like FF VII. Long live FF VII and good old J-RPGs.
  55. DragisaR.
    Aug 30, 2005
    Simply the greatest game ever created. Incredibly awe-inspiring. This game will make you laugh, it will make you cry, it will fill you with excitement. This game is an adventure for all those who try it. If you haven't played this game yet, you are lucky... you still have the chance to experience its magic!
  56. KainC.
    May 20, 2006
    Just a damn good game. Solid storyline, 70+ hours of gameplay which will keep you wanting more and more till' the end, then you'll want to do it over again, to find the things you missed. Its IMPOSSIBLE to do everything once. Best game i've ever played.
  57. JackM.
    Aug 20, 2006
    Truely Emotional if only ff7-2 was a game.
  58. SeanS
    Aug 9, 2006
    Just to clear things up, FFVII is a great game. Is it the best RPG ever? Is it the best Final Fantasy ever? No. Why? Well, first off, the story is only mediocre, which is a huge downer because story is the key element of any RPG. The characters are ok, but they don't seem to have much life. Aside from Yuffie and Red, all the pther characters seem like clones of another one, like Just to clear things up, FFVII is a great game. Is it the best RPG ever? Is it the best Final Fantasy ever? No. Why? Well, first off, the story is only mediocre, which is a huge downer because story is the key element of any RPG. The characters are ok, but they don't seem to have much life. Aside from Yuffie and Red, all the pther characters seem like clones of another one, like Barret and Cid, or just don't have a very likable personality, like Cloud (Which was fixed by the release of FFVII:AC, which helps make FFVII much more enjoyable). Hate me if you wish, but Cloud and Sephiroth are not the greatest ever. Cloud is rather lifeless and Sephiroth not only helps to overcomplicate the story (and not in the Chrono Cross good way), but he seems rather randon and tries too hard to be "badass". But, like I said, FFVII is a great game due mainly to it's sheer size. There are a ton of extra things to do, such as level 4 limits, chocobo breeding, and the WEAPONS. All these combined with the awesome materia skill system make up for most of the game's downpoints. Sure, it doesn't reach the "Chrono" level of RPGs set by Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross, but neither does any other RPG, but FFVII is one of the best, though highly overrated, RPGs out there, and every RPG fan must play it. Expand
  59. JustinJ.
    Jun 30, 2007
    Okay, after reading this... I am just embarrassed to see the amount of people giving this game any less than an 8. I love it, I was of the first 25 people in North America to own the game (Thank god for my mother working for playstation), and this game will forever be held in my heart as my favorite game ever released. Sub-par graphics? Fck off and buy a 360 you mindless shit; no voice Okay, after reading this... I am just embarrassed to see the amount of people giving this game any less than an 8. I love it, I was of the first 25 people in North America to own the game (Thank god for my mother working for playstation), and this game will forever be held in my heart as my favorite game ever released. Sub-par graphics? Fck off and buy a 360 you mindless shit; no voice acting? Who gives a damn? neither did 90% of the other games before the current gen release (ps2, xbox, gc). Even if you don't like rpgs, just watching someone play this game makes me happy. It's the beautiful story, the detail in every screen, and the realistic feel that make this the game of my collection. P.s. Aeris was never meant to come alive again. Ever. Not in ANY version of ANY game. If she had, that would have ruined the entire rest of the games story, as well as AC. The only deadline was for the translation, which is why you frequently see "off" instead of "of", the game was completed already, and if it hadn't been a HUGE detail like that would not have been a "let's scrap this" thing to leave out. P.p.s. The producer (I think) lost his grandmother during the production of FFIII, and he says that Aeris is very much like a reflection of her to him, her attitude and being. He never meant for Aeris to be revived, because you can't bring back someone from the dead, only cherish the memories you have of them (Cloud made her his inspiration to live, she also saves the entire planet with her memory in a sense). His grandmother gave him the will to push on, as Aeris gave Cloud the same feeling. Expand
    Dec 3, 2002
    This game is one of the best RPGs of all time. Memorable characters and a great storyline puts it above all RPGs on the market. A must buy!!!
  61. JohnS.
    Mar 2, 2003
    I have been playin this game over and over for about 4 years this game is perfect everything from mini games to the battles, it has to be the second greatest next to final fantasy 1.
  62. John
    Nov 12, 2003
    This is one of the greatest games of all time. Third best game in the world after Final Fantasy IX and Zelda - Ocarina of Time.
  63. Zorprime
    Oct 17, 2003
    Hands down the greatest rpg i've ever played.
  64. StrongestDragonKnightFinalFantasyGod
    Dec 5, 2003
    Great...Simply wonderful....The VERY BEST Final FANTASY EVER 2ND to none!!!If u hate this game I'll hunt u down use my Dragon Knights prowers & my godly Final Fantasy powers & send u to a eternal prison in hell!Oh by the way the only 2 complaints R bad graphics & one I dare not speak of.
  65. TomM.
    Aug 23, 2003
    The most excellent game in the world today. That's it. Play this and you will be able to hang up your control pad and never play another game ever again. This is the most fufilling, superb and unbelievably excellent experience available on any console ever. And that is not an exaggeration.
  66. CloudStrife
    Sep 13, 2003
    I never got tired of the game no matter what every year I play it that is just how good it is^_^.
  67. SamC.
    Jan 20, 2004
    PERFECT PERFECT PERFECT.
  68. ChrisBB
    Oct 14, 2009
    What can i say about FFVII besides that it is hideously overrated. I think the only thing it deserves credit for is being the first step toward 3d rpgs but i always found it to be a very flimsy step. If you honestly look at FFVII and all it has to offer you find that the only thing that it improved or introduced were better graphics. the gameplay was just like the other ATB bar based FF What can i say about FFVII besides that it is hideously overrated. I think the only thing it deserves credit for is being the first step toward 3d rpgs but i always found it to be a very flimsy step. If you honestly look at FFVII and all it has to offer you find that the only thing that it improved or introduced were better graphics. the gameplay was just like the other ATB bar based FF games and the materia system was surprisingly similar to that of 6. overall the storyline was nothing special. the characters are one of the most overrated things about this game. The have flair and style but no personality to back it up. let me tell you something kids, having a big sword and spikey hair does not make you a good, well written character. the characters, in my opinion, lacked that certain depth to draw me in. While a decent game for the time it was not revolutionary. What gamers saw, was the same thing they had been playing for years, but now in a fancy 3D coating. Consequently, every little thing FFVII seemed revolutionary and original just because this was the first time they were seeing this stuff in 3D. just because it introduced nicer graphics, that does not make it a masterpiece. when it comes down to it, the future of RPGs wasn Expand
  69. Howdy
    Dec 19, 2002
    This is the greatest rpg ever made. i tip my hat to squaresoft they really outdone themselves. the storyline is awsome. the grafics arent the greatestbut the story line makes up for it. the marteria system is a lil hard to understand at first but once u get the hang of it ff8 and 9 cant compare. this is nothing short of the greatest game ever made.
  70. Shotgunsean
    Nov 5, 2003
    This is the best game in the world i have been playing it since it came out and it has never gotten boring.
  71. ShinjiK.
    Jul 22, 2003
    This game is so amazing it raises the question: Are humans really capable of creating something so beautiful?
  72. TylerT.
    Jul 29, 2004
    This is possibly the best game ever made! The storyline is the BEST I've ever seen!!!
  73. Aug 11, 2012
    This is by far my favorite RPG of all time. I consider Legend of Zelda OoT/Chrono Trigger close to it though, and still playing Final Fantasy 6, but the mood in this game just appeals to me so much more. The spin offs they released are utter crap though, so I'm not some blind fanboy. Being one of the only games to really get me attached to the story, even though people consider itThis is by far my favorite RPG of all time. I consider Legend of Zelda OoT/Chrono Trigger close to it though, and still playing Final Fantasy 6, but the mood in this game just appeals to me so much more. The spin offs they released are utter crap though, so I'm not some blind fanboy. Being one of the only games to really get me attached to the story, even though people consider it overrated, but the flawless mood the game sets is beyond anything I have ever seen in another game since it.

You jump right into the gameplay without some long boring cinematic and it is one of the best execution of story progression in RPG history. This game is a must play for everyone, no matter how your preferences for games are.

I just wish Square-Enix could make games like this again. You will unlikely see another classic fantasy for a long time, so you better play the classics until then.
  74. Aug 25, 2012
    A game that blew me away then and is just as much fun now. Called "The game that sold the Playstation" and I can see why. It's fun and entertaining, with hours and hours of gameplay and more if you like exploring and levelling up to be mega hard come the boss fights. Plus lots of the coolest characters and definately coolest bad guy. Once you can explore the world it's truly epic, withA game that blew me away then and is just as much fun now. Called "The game that sold the Playstation" and I can see why. It's fun and entertaining, with hours and hours of gameplay and more if you like exploring and levelling up to be mega hard come the boss fights. Plus lots of the coolest characters and definately coolest bad guy. Once you can explore the world it's truly epic, with side quests. With FFXII and Persona4, this is a stand out game, it's just epic, as simple as that. One of the best games I've ever played, which is saying a lot, and even though it seems ancient now and dated its still a game i come back too. With Suikoden and Grandia II its the cream of RPG Expand
  75. Sep 27, 2012
    Final Fantasy 7 is a decent game. i have played 7-8 times. Everytime i play, the scene and atmosphere make you seems to living inside the game. This game not only RPG Genre, One part of it is Adventure,
    Full of secret area, bosses in the open area, you can use highwind travel in the air, or submarine in the sea or chocoboo(like a bird) to explore secret area. In early stage of the game, you are in the city of Midgar, a future-like design city impress you. Soon You will then go to open map and start your trip,
    the Open Map main theme is very enjoyable, i sometimes stop a while listen to it until it ends. Also many BGM is enjoyable. Such as Tifa scheme, Aerith theme, Battle scheme, one winged angel(boss theme)etc. Character design is epic, each character has their own story. And look like they have soul even this is a game. When Aeris died, Cloud driven to crazy, and with BGM, i sure you must be in touch. In later stage of the game, after 20-30 hours, you come back Midgar city, it feels like i am back home. FF7 most impress me is the cut-scene CG, the Opening scene is epic and has something to do with ending scene(aeris appear first and last). FF7 give you not epic gameplay, but what you are in touch with the story by incredible CG, BGM, Character design. It is the best RPG game ever, since i have played FF9, 10, 13-2
    which not comparable with FF7. i give a 10+1 score.
  76. Sep 3, 2012
    What an epic game this was/is. I absolutely love how this game starts out, I'd say the best beginning ever in a video game (The city of Midgar). Every aspect of this game is awesome, whether it's the battles/bosses, music, or story, they are all amazing!!! I would have to say that this game is hands down the best FF ever made, and that's saying a lot for such an incredible series. If youWhat an epic game this was/is. I absolutely love how this game starts out, I'd say the best beginning ever in a video game (The city of Midgar). Every aspect of this game is awesome, whether it's the battles/bosses, music, or story, they are all amazing!!! I would have to say that this game is hands down the best FF ever made, and that's saying a lot for such an incredible series. If you can get passed the boxy character models in this game, you are in for one truly enjoyable ride! A bit of advice, this game is definitely challenging and is what makes it great. You could be doing fine and then all of a sudden a boss will decimate you. You then have to go out and level up, which is fun to do. The secrets and Golden Saucer adds a lot of fun content as well and FF7 has some serious end game content. Not to mention this game also has one of the slickest end bosses and the most beautiful soundtrack of all. Expand
  77. Mar 20, 2013
    This game is a definition of a perfect game. Even if played today, this game is amazing. The story line is complex and engaging. The leveling system is great and it is consistent so you will always be getting stronger and better weapons. The way you can customize your characters is completely different from any other game I have ever played. The less you know about this game beforeThis game is a definition of a perfect game. Even if played today, this game is amazing. The story line is complex and engaging. The leveling system is great and it is consistent so you will always be getting stronger and better weapons. The way you can customize your characters is completely different from any other game I have ever played. The less you know about this game before you play it the better. If you have not played this game before or recently, get it. It is out on several different systems. Go get it! Expand
  78. Aug 27, 2013
    Easily my most played and most favourite game of all time, played on release date and between then and now I have surely finished it 6 times or more. While some say that the graphics did not age well in this day and age, I view this product for what is was back in 1997 and everytime I see any footage of FFVII I immediately get drawn in, that is the effect this game has on me ever since.Easily my most played and most favourite game of all time, played on release date and between then and now I have surely finished it 6 times or more. While some say that the graphics did not age well in this day and age, I view this product for what is was back in 1997 and everytime I see any footage of FFVII I immediately get drawn in, that is the effect this game has on me ever since.

It is a near perfect RPG with an amazingly deep story (including various hidden scenes to explain the story even more) and some of the most famed protagonists (Cloud, Aerith, etc...) and antagonists (Sephiroth, Jenova, etc...) alike, an overworld with secrets to discover and last but not least an incredible battle/materia system to get to know.

The pacing is good, especially at the start of the game to get you into things, it slows down a bit after a few hours, but still goes strong, once the world opens up you are free to continue to your next story destination, do side quests or just battle away and level up...Completionist can easily sink 100+ hours into the game.

In short, whether this is your cup of tea or not, this game was a revolution back then and has a legacy for many many years to come...
  79. Nov 5, 2014
    I think this game right here set the bar for RPG's and not to mention what to expect from FF series. I've been thinking of a way to put this game into words and have failed to come up with a way to describe how amazing this game is. I would honestly say this has been probably the best game I've played since, well ever really. You must play this game, if you don't then you cannot considerI think this game right here set the bar for RPG's and not to mention what to expect from FF series. I've been thinking of a way to put this game into words and have failed to come up with a way to describe how amazing this game is. I would honestly say this has been probably the best game I've played since, well ever really. You must play this game, if you don't then you cannot consider yourself a real gamer, because this is the ultimate game. It's very sad at some parts too, and how many of us can say that we've experienced games that capture our emotions? Expand
  80. Jun 19, 2011
    I liked this game but 8 and 10 are by a clear mile the best ever final fantasy games. Square soft made the good games and square Enix are just total garbage!
  81. Jul 2, 2012
    As close to perfection in a game as you're ever likely to see. The finest sound track in gaming history, orchestral and oozing with atmosphere which suits the beautifully drawn scenery. The character graphics, whilst not A-grade stuff, have charm in abundance, radiating atypical JRPG at every turn (see Cait Sith for details!) Speaking of the characters, every single one of them areAs close to perfection in a game as you're ever likely to see. The finest sound track in gaming history, orchestral and oozing with atmosphere which suits the beautifully drawn scenery. The character graphics, whilst not A-grade stuff, have charm in abundance, radiating atypical JRPG at every turn (see Cait Sith for details!) Speaking of the characters, every single one of them are memorable by name, even if you haven't played the title for a decade. The Turks, Yuffie, Vincent... these are side characters yet they roll off the tongue. Even the enemies do; Emerald Weapon remains ingrained in the minds of a whole generation of gamers.

And the story... I doubt that we'll see anything that comes close to it ever again. To this day the only game to have legitimately made me cry with a scene that anyone who has played this game will know about.

In short, it's a classic in every sense of the word. If they ever re-release this on a modern platform it will sell out again and again, because even if you've put 100+ hours into this title you still want more.

There are minor faults, don't get me wrong. But they really are minor to the point of not worth mentioning - for example, there's a few translation issues, one or two of the mini games are frustrating, the world map can be confusing and chocobo breeding is nigh on impossible without a guide, but that's literally it. If you're a gaming enthusiast and haven't played this title, go out now, buy a PlayStation 1 from a second hand store and pick up a copy of FF7 - because your gaming career isn't complete without a showdown with Sephiroth on your CV.

It's probably the only game I'll ever score a legitimate 10/10 for, because when taken as a package, in terms of duration, replayability, storyline, atmosphere, gameplay... it's perfect, and I don't think it'll ever be beaten.
  82. MiloH.
    Jan 12, 2004
    A complete masterpiece and no doubt the best rpg ever!
  83. Apr 16, 2011
    What can i say, excellent cast of characters with interesting backgrounds and even though this games has one of the best stories ever in my opinion that is not what make Final Fantasy VII shine above the rest. Both Xenogears and Chrono Cross had deeper and more interesting stories, but what makes this game my all time favorite is the world itself. You will explore every corner of a hugeWhat can i say, excellent cast of characters with interesting backgrounds and even though this games has one of the best stories ever in my opinion that is not what make Final Fantasy VII shine above the rest. Both Xenogears and Chrono Cross had deeper and more interesting stories, but what makes this game my all time favorite is the world itself. You will explore every corner of a huge planet, from the huge and futuristic city of Midgar, to the lost Forgotten Capital, hidden temples, deserts, snow, underwater and a little bit of outer space and everything fits together in a perfect mix (science vs magic). The game is very unpredictable (especially when disc2 kicks in) and never gets boring even though it is 50 hours long. However stay away from the recently released spin-offs Dirge of Cerberus and Advent Children! While in the original game Cloud was a messed up and confused soul, in the AC version he is just a emo punk.
    My conclusion of this game is simple: Masterpiece!
  84. Oct 7, 2011
    Sephiroth is an example of one of those game villains who just "don't" die. The earlier villain offering, Kefka, from Final Fantasy VI was manical, psychotic, and succeeded in scorching the earth. When he died, that was it, he died. Playing whack-a-mole with Sephiroth got boring. It's hard to tell he's even the villain. You start the game fighting Shinra corp. You might ask yourself whySephiroth is an example of one of those game villains who just "don't" die. The earlier villain offering, Kefka, from Final Fantasy VI was manical, psychotic, and succeeded in scorching the earth. When he died, that was it, he died. Playing whack-a-mole with Sephiroth got boring. It's hard to tell he's even the villain. You start the game fighting Shinra corp. You might ask yourself why you have to even fight Sephiroth. I wondered the same thing.

Onto the parts I loved. I loved having a nice variety of characters to choose from. I loved the materia system, exploring the world and finding new bosses to kill. The Golden Saucer was awesome, lots of minigames and other things to do. More RPG developers need to learn players love having a mid-game hub to do other tasks rather than advancing the story. It's a shame square hasn't learned from their success though, as newer games in the series usually lack anything with 10% of the depth of the Golden Saucer.

Main villain was weak, but it's still a great RPG experience, a far gap between a 9 and 10 though.
  85. Aug 30, 2013
    Incredible depth, gripping music(the best soundtrack of all games i heard), interesting characters, amazing storyline, cool combat mechanics and a ton of content and secrets. This is the game i played the most in my life. Perhaps one run each year. The graphics are a bit outdated today but there are mods around to make it prettier if you want. No game has moved as much as this have. ItsIncredible depth, gripping music(the best soundtrack of all games i heard), interesting characters, amazing storyline, cool combat mechanics and a ton of content and secrets. This is the game i played the most in my life. Perhaps one run each year. The graphics are a bit outdated today but there are mods around to make it prettier if you want. No game has moved as much as this have. Its strange though. The first time i played this game i turned it off after 1 hour cause i got bored of the talking. Then i gave it another shot and just couldnt stop playing. Expand
  86. Sep 12, 2013
    The fact that Metacritic has FFIX above FFVII is criminal. The former was hardly innovative and had to make up for its lackluster story with mesmerizing graphics that utilized the best that the PS1 had to offer. FFVII was the seed that helped make the Playstation console into the best-selling unit of its generation. Everything about it was new, captivating, and incomprehensibly immense.The fact that Metacritic has FFIX above FFVII is criminal. The former was hardly innovative and had to make up for its lackluster story with mesmerizing graphics that utilized the best that the PS1 had to offer. FFVII was the seed that helped make the Playstation console into the best-selling unit of its generation. Everything about it was new, captivating, and incomprehensibly immense. Anyone knocking on the story while praising FFIX's is a joker. The fate of a central female character in FFVII reduced countless fans to TEARS. When in history has a video game event had such a profound impact on its players? Never. Certainly nothing in FFIX. I don't think FFVII was the best RPG ever made, but it is one of the most pivotal games ever made, period. The only thing more obnoxious than fanboys claiming that FFVII was the best game ever made are the people who think they're being new and exciting by exacerbating the faults of FFVII to make it out to be an overrated game. FFVII is not overrated--an undeniable fact for anyone who actually knows what they're talking about when it comes to talking about revolutionary video games. Expand
  87. May 16, 2014
    How many games are able to make you fall in love with a genre, and make it one of your most played genres? Not many, but it's what Final Fantasy VII was able to do with me. It's the first Final Fantasy game I touched, still remains my favorite one of the series, and certainly succeeded in making me in a lifelong fan of the series. To keep it short, I did consider it back then andHow many games are able to make you fall in love with a genre, and make it one of your most played genres? Not many, but it's what Final Fantasy VII was able to do with me. It's the first Final Fantasy game I touched, still remains my favorite one of the series, and certainly succeeded in making me in a lifelong fan of the series. To keep it short, I did consider it back then and still do the perfect game. One of the rare perfect 10s

Graphics: Of course by todays standards they are outdated, but I can guarantee you that back then they were cutting edge, and that the cutscenes had everyone orgasming. 10/10

Sounds: I'm not one to much care about sounds, but even to this day I easily recognize the music and themes of certain characters. If that doesn't speak volumes of the music, then I don't know what will. 10/10

Story: How many games are able to hook you in that you can't lay down your controller? 5-10% Well add this one to the list. I could list a fun anecdote for it, but I'll spare you and keep it short and just say that this game is/was pure addictive. Especially when a certain event happened towards the end of the first disc, and set me so full of rage that I wanted to enact my revenge asap. 10/10

Gameplay: Even to this day I absolute love turn based jrpgs, let alone that the materia system is still to this date one of the best leveling systems I've come across. Another and obvious 10/10

That's why I do go with a 10/10. Normally I would say there's no such thing as a perfect 10, but sometimes in you life you will meet up with something you could consider perfect, and for me one of those few things was Final Fantasy VII.
  88. Jun 6, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. THE BEST GAME EVER?! YOU GOT THAT RIGHT! THIS GAME IS ONE OF THE BEST PSX GAMES IN THE HISTORY OF PSX GAMES! X is okay. VI I like, VII is called overrated, but it's the BEST GAME OF ALL TIME! TO ALL THE HATERS OF THIS GAMES, GO GET A REAL HEART AND STOP PLAYING FPS GAMES ALL THE TIME! I LIKE ALL GAMES, EXCEPT FOR THE BAD ONES, AND THIS GAME IS LEGITAMETLY THE GREATEST GAME I'VE EVER PLAYED! Hironobu Sakaguchi is a great man for this game alone. I was moved by Aerith's death, and moved even more by the Cloud and Tifa romantic tension. But after the battle was over, I felt I really accomplished something! Keep up the work! We need these games to show how it's done right unlike XIII! Expand
  89. LoganDisney
    Jun 13, 2009
    The best game ever made, without a doubt. An incredible storyline and great characters add to the perfectly suited music of the game and pioneering (heheh) graphics of the game to make it one of few games I could play forever and never stop loving it.
  90. FredL.
    Mar 31, 2008
    So awesome... the ultimate game beautiful dramatic and filled with action.
  91. MarcusM.
    Apr 18, 2006
    lol the majority of ppl are saying this game rocks and there are just some ppl who dont like it (those who dont like RPG of course) so why dont you just get outta here! "They could've done better" oh yeah? they did their best with the technologies they had, 4 CDs man...there are tons of factors that have to be taken into account cuz this game is not made by ONE person you idiot. lol the majority of ppl are saying this game rocks and there are just some ppl who dont like it (those who dont like RPG of course) so why dont you just get outta here! "They could've done better" oh yeah? they did their best with the technologies they had, 4 CDs man...there are tons of factors that have to be taken into account cuz this game is not made by ONE person you idiot. Learn progamming, design, and graphics before you put any negative feedback! Expand
  92. MikeC.
    Apr 29, 2006
    Not much has to be said about FF7 in the year 2006. Most everyone who knows shit about games has payed it and come to their own conclusion, bu thtis game decimates almost any game ever made. The graphics were amazing for the times and the gameplay was very addictive, in depth and EXTREMELY fun.
  93. TitaniumDragon
    Nov 23, 2007
    This is simply one of the best RPGs ever made, and possibly the single best RPG ever made. The materia system allows for a great deal of flexibility in what your characters can do, which makes for good gameplay, and while there are some "cheap tricks" generally they aren't obvious until the second time through (which obviously means it was good enough for a replay). The story is This is simply one of the best RPGs ever made, and possibly the single best RPG ever made. The materia system allows for a great deal of flexibility in what your characters can do, which makes for good gameplay, and while there are some "cheap tricks" generally they aren't obvious until the second time through (which obviously means it was good enough for a replay). The story is quite good and engaging and the characters are well developed and it is very possible to empathize with them. The reality of the past is quite entertaining, and it is great to see both the future and the past revealed throughout the game. The storyline is good enough that the game has replay value, and it has a lot of minigames which are entertaining. The pacing of the story is excellent and it feels like you're making constant progress throughout the game towards the ending, with story scattered throughout. All in all, an excellent RPG, and one I'd highly reccommend to anyone, even someone who doesn't play RPGs. Expand
  94. IsaacM.
    Dec 16, 2007
    My favourite game of all time. The best story, the best baddie, the most shocking twist at the end of disc 1 (yes all you who have played it know what I mean and shed a tear or 2). The 1st time I played this game was in 1998 and I was in awe!! The most inspired story telling I have yet to see in a game. There is no better RPG period!! That includes all the RPG's to come!!!
  95. DaveW.
    Aug 25, 2007
    I can see nothing to complain about with FFVII. The story is excellent, the world is well thought, and the gameplay is solid. I believe that it has yet to be surpassed in the RPG genre since everything went 3D. There are those games where everything comes together to form an experience, this is one of those rare wonders.
  96. Faisal
    Nov 16, 2008
    I was with the detractors who are puzzled about the praise that is lavished on this game and believe it to be one of the most over rated of all time. I say was because I have had a BIG change of heart after completing the game for the second time ( after a gap of 10 years!) the other day. I finally can see what the fans have been saying all along - this is without doubt one of the I was with the detractors who are puzzled about the praise that is lavished on this game and believe it to be one of the most over rated of all time. I say was because I have had a BIG change of heart after completing the game for the second time ( after a gap of 10 years!) the other day. I finally can see what the fans have been saying all along - this is without doubt one of the greatest games of all time and probably my personal favourite game. The best 16 bit rpgs can't touch this - yes, including Chrono Trigger. I am suprised myself at how my second experience has so transformed my views and feelings about this game. I think the main reason why is that I had a grasp of the complex plot (with a bit of help from plot analysis articles by fans) much better this time around. The story and characters and music are what really lifts this game above most other story driven games. Having said that every aspect of the game is well designed including the battle system. If you have only tried this game once, not liked it much but suspect it might be worth a second try I recommend you do. You may be in for a big pleasant suprise. Expand
  97. AndyO.
    Jan 27, 2008
    FInaly Fantasy VII is the greatest game ever. Amazing graphics for it's time, memorable characters (love them or hate them you know who Cloud and Sephiroth are), great story, and amazingly successful. This game is the reason I play RPG's still, I long for something close to FFVII.
  98. DavidH.
    Mar 11, 2008
    Why in the name of God did I never play this game ten years ago? I'll say it... it puts ever other game I've played to shame. Okay, the characters and story aren't exactly the stuff of high art (Barret is about as cardboard as they come), but you care about them and they make you laugh. Still today, the level of depth this game offers is astonishing. When I eventually Why in the name of God did I never play this game ten years ago? I'll say it... it puts ever other game I've played to shame. Okay, the characters and story aren't exactly the stuff of high art (Barret is about as cardboard as they come), but you care about them and they make you laugh. Still today, the level of depth this game offers is astonishing. When I eventually complete it (and I don'tm want to do that until I've beaten Weapon), onto IX and Tactics for something more challenging. Expand
  99. MartinB.
    May 11, 2008
    Easily my favorite RPG ever. Its scope and epic-ness is only matched or surpassed by a handful of other games. Those who criticize the graphics need only realize this game was released more than a decade ago(1997).
  100. May 17, 2011
    Amazing game worth playing again and again. One of the greatest games of all time with a impressive one-hundred hour length and fantastic graphics for its time. The graphics today will look aged, but the game play will still be as amazing as the day it was released. The appreciation of Japanese role play games have diminished over the years, with its only true high-definition successorAmazing game worth playing again and again. One of the greatest games of all time with a impressive one-hundred hour length and fantastic graphics for its time. The graphics today will look aged, but the game play will still be as amazing as the day it was released. The appreciation of Japanese role play games have diminished over the years, with its only true high-definition successor being Lost Odyssey on the XBOX 360.

If you haven't played Final Fantasy VII, then I suggest you do. The characters are love-able, the game play is memorable and the game play is epic!

1. Brought RPGs into the Western spotlight and contained the most debated plot twist of an era. [Feb 2003, p.97]
  2. You can play the game time and time again. Always finding something new, from a new piece of materia to a new place, to defeating the ultimate weapons. The story twists and turns all the time always keeping you guessing as to what will happen next.
  3. Without a doubt, FF7 is one of the top Final Fantasy games out there. It is also one of the best RPG adventures of all time.