Final Fantasy VII PlayStation

9.1

1. May 28, 2011
    Final Fantasy VII is an experience that everyone should try at least once. I have played through it a few times and I can say that this game truly deserves a medal. I honestly believe that it is the best game that has ever been made based on several factors. For me, Storyline is a big factor. FF7 is a game that actively progresses through the story. There are no long breaks where nothingFinal Fantasy VII is an experience that everyone should try at least once. I have played through it a few times and I can say that this game truly deserves a medal. I honestly believe that it is the best game that has ever been made based on several factors. For me, Storyline is a big factor. FF7 is a game that actively progresses through the story. There are no long breaks where nothing seems to happen. The actual battling is turn based, rapid, and thrilling. Containing an almost never ending assortment of difficult and amusing enemies and bosses that will keep you entertained throughout all three disks. The plot is immense, with surprises, twists, and excitement up until the stunning climax. Graphics wise, the game is not lacking. Although the characters may be somewhat blocky, the battles and cut scenes are magnificent. The soundtrack is one of my favorite parts of the game. The soundtrack fits well with the gameplay and the battle themes are just amazing. Overall, I give it a perfect 10. Expand
  2. TomF.
    Apr 3, 2004
    Greatest game of all time.
  3. AdamC.
    May 28, 2004
    This is the beast game in the world.
  4. JacobD.
    Dec 18, 2008
    One of my favorite games of all time, it has a intriguing story line with very in depth characters. the fighting system works amazingly well, and it can be hard at parts.here are so many secrets and things to find you will spend hours going over everything, i know i did!
  5. JohnnyD.
    Nov 25, 2006
    A game so brilliant it enlightens your soul.
  6. BryanS.
    Dec 6, 2006
    Simply the best story of any video game. The materia system was perfect and the graphics were great for the time. The only problem was the tedious random battles.
  7. UlyssesA.
    May 9, 2005
    I couldn't believe how good this game was! I had so much trouble on Hojo, Sephiroth, and the weapons so I got pissed off. But I didn't stop because it was so fun. I don't know about the best game ever, but it is the best one that I have ever played.
  8. WilshireB.
    Jul 7, 2005
    Wow! This game is simply the best game of all time. Obviously since you've seen that written here about a million times. Turned me into the rpg vid game fan I am today and revolutionized the video game industry into what it is today. Props to square!!!
  9. OmbarK.
    Jun 4, 2008
    Many people say this game is one of the most overrated game of all time because it is the first game that a lot of people played, including me. The thing is, many of those people have their own little game from which they all rate others game from and very often this game is FFVI. Personnally, I don't see what these people see in it as I didn't like it but they don't see Many people say this game is one of the most overrated game of all time because it is the first game that a lot of people played, including me. The thing is, many of those people have their own little game from which they all rate others game from and very often this game is FFVI. Personnally, I don't see what these people see in it as I didn't like it but they don't see what we love about FFVII either. Sure, our expectations for future games reflected FFVII's style as but the thing is that it was a great game, it set the bar too high for us to even think about something better, even today. The musical score is simply the best in any game I've layed up to today (and musical scores are pretty bad nowadays if you ask me), the graphics aside from the world map are great, especially battles, AMVs are simply phenomenal for the time, the story is complex and holds many twists, finally, I loved the materia system and the mini-games but that's more personnal. There's a lot of good stuff of which FFVII was the pioneer at the time, mainly storeline and AMVs and will remain for that reason a ground breaking game. Expand
  10. Rayvior
    Jan 22, 2010
    Where does one begin? Do we address the attention to detail with scenery and weapons. Or do we grasp onto the easy to understand and execute gameplay? FFVII is very much, an RPG of the "golden age". It provided more story than any game of any genre at the time, and catered to the elitist in many. FF7 was just that good. It still is. Especially when companies are nickel and dime-ing with Where does one begin? Do we address the attention to detail with scenery and weapons. Or do we grasp onto the easy to understand and execute gameplay? FFVII is very much, an RPG of the "golden age". It provided more story than any game of any genre at the time, and catered to the elitist in many. FF7 was just that good. It still is. Especially when companies are nickel and dime-ing with DLC. We get to see what a complete and full game feels like. If I had to describe the genre FF7 is in, I would call it RPG Sandboxing. As nothing is linear unless the player makes it so, and even the limit breaks can be put on hold while you play a decent array of mini games. The game is the epitome of micron managing. If playing at Gold Saucer isn't for the player, one could raise and breed Chocobo's. Or explore hidden areas, or even locate that favorite weapon. FF7 has it all. Wish to pick up and play? then theres nothing to it. The game is as simple as Checkers and as complex as Chess. This is not a "like it or hate it" game, that term doesn't even apply to this, the game has far too many things to do, that even people who prefer a different type of genre will easily enjoy FF7. The story is immersive, the characters actually develop, and the plot is easy to follow without getting preachy. FF7 does what most 60 dollar Xbox games can't. Keep in mind this was when games like Zelda 64 came out. FF7 delivers. Expand
  11. NaomiM.
    Nov 1, 2004
    I really do like this game, i was wonderful for it's time. Not so much now b/c 9 and 10 blew it away. And i'm not a really big fan of Cloud i think some people worship him to much (Jeff M.). But I do give it a 10, it had a wonderful story.
  12. EricM.
    Mar 8, 2004
    This is the first rpg game I played and still is the best..It called my name and I bought it the first day it came out for the pc for about 80$. I also am currently a beta tester for ffXI and it's shit compared to ff7.
  13. CuthbertS.
    Jun 12, 2004
    Perfection, or as close as you can get. This game has more "oh my god" moments than any other, even MGS. A greater game will never be made.
  14. LeonL.
    Aug 5, 2004
    This is a really cool game seriously. From the moment you play it and the moment you finish it, you can never say this game is bad. Truly a masterpiece...
  15. DragonKnightofFinalFantasy
    Aug 9, 2004
    This is my favorite FF ever also my favorite game ever. Here I'm gonna break it down into five catergories. Story 10/10: Totally compelling and smart I'd go into details but I don't wanna spoil anything but it does have the best character devolpment. Graphics 9/10: Beautiful backgrounds, great character portaits everything perfect except character models they are all so This is my favorite FF ever also my favorite game ever. Here I'm gonna break it down into five catergories. Story 10/10: Totally compelling and smart I'd go into details but I don't wanna spoil anything but it does have the best character devolpment. Graphics 9/10: Beautiful backgrounds, great character portaits everything perfect except character models they are all so blocky all Lego men. Sound: One of the best soundtracks EVER so wonderful! Gameplay: Materia=perfect FFVIII's Junction systems= really sucky Materia>Junction Nuff' said. BEST GAME EVER!!!!!! Expand
  16. LukeD.
    Nov 2, 2005
    This game is the best game ever created and I think it is impossible to make a game as good as this ever again... It is flawless from music to the storyline, just watched FF7 advent children and all the memories flood back of this game :D damn i wish i could play it again but its too old for my computer :/
  17. TroyM.
    Oct 14, 2005
    Awesome story compelled me to play.
  18. MikeR.
    Jan 24, 2005
    Still the best game ever.
  19. RaymondL.
    Apr 13, 2005
    It's great to play this game. the grapics will knock you back.
  20. JasonW.
    Apr 15, 2005
    Unparalleled...
  21. TomiW.
    Apr 7, 2005
    FFVII is the best videogame ever made. Never has a game revolutionized the cinematic and storytelling experience of videogames. Never had a game been so long, yet so engaging, immersive and inspiring. This game changed the way I view videogames. Gone are the days when all I wanted was some fast paced action. This game thought me the art of storytelling is the best to ever happen to FFVII is the best videogame ever made. Never has a game revolutionized the cinematic and storytelling experience of videogames. Never had a game been so long, yet so engaging, immersive and inspiring. This game changed the way I view videogames. Gone are the days when all I wanted was some fast paced action. This game thought me the art of storytelling is the best to ever happen to videogames. I never played an RPG before this game, now 90% of the games I play are RPG's. And everytime I play an RPG, I always find myself asking the same question: when will there be another final fantasy VII. Expand
  22. OswaldoV.
    May 15, 2005
    This is by far the best game I've ever played, Metal Gear, Resident Evil their both good but this one tops it off if i finish this game i'll die happy.
  23. ChrisF-T
    Jun 2, 2005
    Yes, this is the greatest RPG of all time. It took the concept of a fantasy world and brought the genre a true feeling of realism. The story is the most personally reflective of any RPG i've played, you learn more abou the central character than any other game i've played. The Weapons are truly difficult, and overall this game is challenging, engaging and overall the most Yes, this is the greatest RPG of all time. It took the concept of a fantasy world and brought the genre a true feeling of realism. The story is the most personally reflective of any RPG i've played, you learn more abou the central character than any other game i've played. The Weapons are truly difficult, and overall this game is challenging, engaging and overall the most flawless gaming experience i've ever been honored to have. Expand
  24. Thorn
    Aug 7, 2005
    The game is good, it was the first game i played on my ps1. And it inspired me to buy more. Two flaws are that the villian is too good, and that there were several annoying main characters.
  25. JhonT.
    Nov 20, 2006
    Final Fantasy 7 is the best game ever. I only wish they made it for PlayStation 3.
  26. MarkD.
    Nov 5, 2006
    I can appreciate this games ground breaking plot, graphics, characters, the fact that it brought games and movies that bit closer and made RPGs cool yet i still gave up half way through. You see, despite all that it's still a hardcore RPG and only RPG fans will be engrossed till the end. So it "only" gets an 8.
  27. eX-SoldierStrife
    Jan 15, 2006
    The best game ever created, when I saw Final Fantasy 7 : Last Order and Advent Children I played the game over again. Even if the game is old it remains a classic and my favourite game. From the mythology and themes to the music and storyline, Final Fantasy 7 is flawless.
  28. GeorgeD.
    Apr 8, 2006
    I don't really understand how someone could think the story to this game was anything but breakthrough. Well, that's not true; I do understand. Being an English major, I often bear witness to the awful comprehensive power of the young mind. At several points in this list, people have stated that the Cloud character had no personality. While the character was intentionally I don't really understand how someone could think the story to this game was anything but breakthrough. Well, that's not true; I do understand. Being an English major, I often bear witness to the awful comprehensive power of the young mind. At several points in this list, people have stated that the Cloud character had no personality. While the character was intentionally written to be introverted, a great deal of expression and throught process came through the subtleties of the character. The character remains one of the most profound and intriguing characters to ever grace a videogame. The fact of the matter is, the story for Final Fantasy VII is so powerful, profound, intelligent and, often times, psychologically subtle that I am surprised any ordinary videogame fan was able to enjoy it. With games like Halo or Splinter Cell -- games wherein you simply run around and kill things without really having to fire a neuron or comprehend much of anything, other than your location on a screen -- it isn't a stretch to assume the average videogame fan is probably slow on the draw when it comes to things like reading comprehension, character analysis, or intuitive psychology. This hypothesis can also be reached by reading how many people complained of a "boring" story -- one person actually said that the psychology "ruined it" -- in the same breath as they complained about "horrible graphics." The graphics in the game were probably 8 on a list of the 10 most important aspects of the game. I won't go into every reason the game was breakthrough and will never be bested -- I actually stopped playing videogames after I completed it in 1997. I realized the year I played it that there was never, ever going to be anything like it again. It is just too smart for the average videogame fan. They don't want to process all the information, the characters, the messages, and the subtleties. They definitely don't want to process all the detective work that must be done and all the side games that are to be completed. They just want to click on a few characters and tell them to kill some other characters, or they want to point a rocket launcher in a vague direction and see things explode in great detail. Final Fantasy VII sacrificed a lot of its graphics for gameplay. There was so much too the game that A) the graphics hardly mattered at all, and B) for the time, it was too large to make the game with such profound quality and maintain superficial quality. Final fantasy VII was and is simply too good for pretty pictures -- though, all of the locations were beautiful and the vehicles were well conceived. There will never be another game this good. Videogamers just don't want to have to have the brainpower to play this. Expand
  29. JakeC.
    Apr 8, 2006
    Quite possibly the best game ever.
  30. MartinK.
    May 7, 2006
    One of the greatest games ever made. The storyline is on par with any great literary work. Right now, FFVII and the Metal Gear games are the only ones I can think of that truly deserve 10 points.
  31. JonC.
    Jul 30, 2006
    all you haters are complete duds. FFVII was one of the FIRST games for the PS1. and therefore, AMAZING grpahics for the time. The plot is amazingly deep, and complex. it may not be the best of all time, but its up there, and if u disagree, you obviously like those games like Catwoman. If you pay attention, you will enjoy it, its a RPG, so if u want like full on action, wrong game for you, all you haters are complete duds. FFVII was one of the FIRST games for the PS1. and therefore, AMAZING grpahics for the time. The plot is amazingly deep, and complex. it may not be the best of all time, but its up there, and if u disagree, you obviously like those games like Catwoman. If you pay attention, you will enjoy it, its a RPG, so if u want like full on action, wrong game for you, this game is surrounded by plot, and asuming people could read. (and FYI cloud acts like that because of the plot). Expand
  32. MarcL.
    Jul 3, 2006
    This game is truly incredible.the story kepps you into it all the way to the end and the replay value is awsome,music is excellent overall one of the best rpgs ever.
  33. PiltzM.
    Aug 1, 2006
    First game to ever touch a human soul and heart.Gifted story teliing and exelent musical score makes this game last forever in the gaming history.
  34. AlasdairD.
    Dec 5, 2007
    This is, quite simply, the single greatest game ever made. It is perfection. It's also really cheap now, so even if you have to forgo buying food for a few days, do so.
  35. AlexTheSexy
    Feb 5, 2007
    There has never been a game this monumental. From the opening sights of Midgar to the final Slaying of Sephiroth, scale, character, and beauty are constant and even playing it today, it is a rare moment when you are anything but impressed. The best game ever. PORT THIS FOR THE DS!
  36. JulietteT.
    May 30, 2007
    This is the game that got me interested in video games. I had never played an RPG before and this got me hooked! BEST GAME EVER! The story line is original, amazing and practically flawless. Each character is perfectly done, and there never has been a better protagonist trio! PLEASE remake this Square! DS!
  37. Berny
    Jun 23, 2007
    This game is the very reason of why i bought a ps one, it's the best game i've ever played over and over again.
  38. NathanD.
    Jul 22, 2007
    This game is the greatest game ever made. ther will NEVER be a game this good again.
  39. ChristianS.
    Feb 28, 2008
    For me this is the better game of my life. I love the storyline and im waiting if there is a release for the PS3, try to serach in youtube "final Fantasy VII PS3". The graphics doesnt means if this a good game, this game has relesed in 1997, and for these times the graphics was cool. If you are a RPG fan, you must try this game, the Materia system is addicting as hell and im still playing For me this is the better game of my life. I love the storyline and im waiting if there is a release for the PS3, try to serach in youtube "final Fantasy VII PS3". The graphics doesnt means if this a good game, this game has relesed in 1997, and for these times the graphics was cool. If you are a RPG fan, you must try this game, the Materia system is addicting as hell and im still playing since 2005 =D. Expand
  40. JoeyN.
    Apr 30, 2008
    Amazing game Ive got 2 copies of this the original I bought when first released the second Brand New Still Sealed just in case anything happens to my first one. I LOVE this game so emotional, so engrossing and anyone who does not agree otherwise Is not a gamer roll on the PS3 version (fingers crossed).
  41. ZechsM.
    Jun 21, 2008
    My favorite game of all time! totally deserves a 10!
  42. TylerB.
    Jun 3, 2008
    I don't know why someone was complaining about grahpics of this game it came out at the birth of PS1 (it didn't even have analog controls)...he must be a 5 year old who doesn't appreciate where games come from. This IS Final Fantasy. Compelling story, revolutionary combat systems (when it was made), and an excellent game to be the first 3D final fantasy. It is an I don't know why someone was complaining about grahpics of this game it came out at the birth of PS1 (it didn't even have analog controls)...he must be a 5 year old who doesn't appreciate where games come from. This IS Final Fantasy. Compelling story, revolutionary combat systems (when it was made), and an excellent game to be the first 3D final fantasy. It is an unforgettable experience from the first time you go into the land of Midgar. Expand
  43. [anonymous]
    Oct 3, 2009
    O.K. this is a very fun, addictive RPG in fact the best final fantasy game ever unless a miracle happens and they mke ff7 2 but that will never happen sadly but this is a MUST HAVE!!!!!!!!
  44. MattB
    Mar 12, 2009
    Anyone who rates this game lower then a 9 is one of those people who just likes to go a different direction then the crowd. They would do this for anything. If there was a movie everyone loved.... they would make up a reason to hate it. Best game of all time. Haters, hope you enjoy lying to yourself your whole life.
  45. A.Nonymous
    Sep 2, 2009
    Out of the Final Fantasy games I've played, this is not my favorite. That honor goes the Final Fantasy VI. In fact, I think this game is a bit overrated. However, it is still an unforgettable classic that RPG fans should definitely play. (As if there's any RPG fan that hasn't played it.) I must say, after playing through it recently, I think the polygonal models have aged Out of the Final Fantasy games I've played, this is not my favorite. That honor goes the Final Fantasy VI. In fact, I think this game is a bit overrated. However, it is still an unforgettable classic that RPG fans should definitely play. (As if there's any RPG fan that hasn't played it.) I must say, after playing through it recently, I think the polygonal models have aged horribly, at least out of battle. I realize the game is 12 years old, so I wasn't expecting Killzone 2 calibur graphics, but they're still almost painful to look at. I'm sure they were truly mind-blowing when the game first was released, but it's 2009 now. In battle, they're actually still impressive, in a way.The summons in particular are still awesome to look at. The pre-rendered backgrounds still hold up, as well. The story is somewhat confusing, but I found it entertaining and even moving at times. At times Sephiroth's motives were unclear to me. (Even more confusing was that it wasn't even Sephiroth...O.o) I also had trouble figuring out who exactly Cloud is, but for the sake of spoiler-avoidance, I won't go into detail. (Though I'm sure most of you have probably heard the story, anyway.) The gameplay holds up well. Lots of classic ATB battles are to be had, and it's fun tweaking your characters and making them into machines of destruction. One of my favorite things about Final Fantasy VII is the music. Nobuo Uematsu created a masterpiece with the game's soundtrack. Just look up some orchestrated versions of some of the songs, and I'll guarantee you'll be in awe. While I still think that Final Fantasy VII is overrated and has too many fanboys, I can't deny it's a great game. I can't imagine that any serious RPG fans are left that haven't played it, but if there are, I'd recommend they check it out. Expand
  46. AlexM.
    Nov 15, 2004
    The Greatest Game Ever
  47. JeremyJ.
    Jan 21, 2004
    This game is the best of all time!!!!!
  48. Josh
    Jan 21, 2004
    I have played every Final Fantasy in existence, and none captured my attention like FF7 with its story. This is the only game that deserves a perfect rating.
  49. TroyC.
    Oct 22, 2004
    I would just like to say that if Jesus had to come back in the form of a game....he would come back as newly packaged three disc rpg called Final Fantasy VII......and the world will rejoice in the glory in rains down upon us mortals.
  50. JenniferS.
    Dec 27, 2004
    Only game that have kept me playing for a year now even people that have left to play other MMORPG's (Worlds or Warcraft) games are coming back.
  51. VidM.
    Dec 8, 2004
    I had played several RPGs before this one, but this was the game that forever sold me to the RPG genre. I now view every other game through FF7-tinted glasses, and anything that's not an RPG just doesn't even come close. Sure there are plenty of crap RPGs out there as well as a few non-RPGs on par with FF7 in terms of gaming goodness (the more recent GTA installments as well as I had played several RPGs before this one, but this was the game that forever sold me to the RPG genre. I now view every other game through FF7-tinted glasses, and anything that's not an RPG just doesn't even come close. Sure there are plenty of crap RPGs out there as well as a few non-RPGs on par with FF7 in terms of gaming goodness (the more recent GTA installments as well as the Halo series come to mind). Still, FF7 is one of the few games to evoke true emotion in me. I cared about the characters. I wanted to find out more about them. I wanted them to succeed. I wanted to be there, traveling with them in their world. I wanted them to exist. This is one incredible game. Expand
  52. JeffM.
    Oct 29, 2004
    If there is a better RPG out there, let me see it so I can destroy it, long live king ff7.
  53. JesseI.
    Mar 26, 2004
    Great game.Great graphics,sound,characters,everything.
  54. Saisci
    Apr 24, 2004
    Nice storyline but the materia system is pretty flawed because if you get just one really good materia there's not much left of the challenge in this game.
  55. EthanH.
    Jun 11, 2004
    It is awesome and should be remade for PS2.
  56. MikeM.
    Jun 16, 2004
    This is the best game ever made. The storyline, music, and gameplay of all the final fantasies were all perfected in this one. It is the best game ever made, and always will be (unless they remake it).
  57. StuartJ.
    Jul 12, 2004
    The best game ever made, only one game in my opinion could ever be nearly as good as this and that is final fantasy VIII mostly due to its amazing music.
  58. MalcolmQ.
    Jul 17, 2004
    Greatest game ever made! An RPG that will be engraved in the hearts of gamers.
  59. RyanH.
    Oct 12, 2005
    Quite simply, the best rpg ever. Second best game ever.
  60. MikeS.
    Dec 23, 2005
    Best game i have ever played the story line is so awsome. sephiroth is the best villian in final fantasy. graphics were ok but there hands were blocks but i dont care bout the graphics it just feels like your there best game i ever played and it cant get any better.
  61. ThomH.
    Feb 21, 2005
    Quite simply the best game ever created. Unlimited replay value, and a story so involving it puts Metal Gear to shame. A pure timeless classic.
  62. Dan
    Apr 15, 2005
    Best Game Ever.
  63. NicholasR.
    May 19, 2005
    Easily the best game ive ever played, bar none.
  64. CodyJ.
    May 9, 2005
    This game was SO fun, that I played it for seven hours non-stop. I never play video games that long. The ending disappointed me a bit and it seemed to be missing some stuff, but it was too fun not to give it a 10.
  65. LewisR.
    Jun 23, 2005
    Best game ever! Amazing storyline that takes you into the game. In the time it was out (1997 ish) I give the game the following unbiased scores: Graphics:10/10. Superior, then. Gameplay:10/10. Detailed yet quick-to-learn combat system and almost total freedom. Sound:10/10. The best music I've EVER heard! Emotionally-charged to suit the atmosphere (personally, made me cry once). Best game ever! Amazing storyline that takes you into the game. In the time it was out (1997 ish) I give the game the following unbiased scores: Graphics:10/10. Superior, then. Gameplay:10/10. Detailed yet quick-to-learn combat system and almost total freedom. Sound:10/10. The best music I've EVER heard! Emotionally-charged to suit the atmosphere (personally, made me cry once). Lifespan:10/10. Depending on how quick you take playing RPGs, between 30 hours and 90 hours. However, to fully enjoy the game, will take roughly 75 hours. Massive. Biggest game ever, undebated. As for 2005, the game would score: Graphics:3/10. Nice cut-scenes but lack of detail, in particular with the characters. Gameplay:8/10. Very simple yet addictive battle system. Could be more detailed. Sound:8/10. Excellent sound quality to set the mood, but based entirely on midi tunes (needs modernising). Lifespan:10/10. Absolutely massive. Seriously. Therefore, to conclude, buy the game. Your life will be poorer without it. I realised that. I would have spent 3 times as much as they were selling it for if I knew what the game was like. Expand
  66. DavidM.
    Sep 1, 2005
    I think this is the best Final Fantasy game ever even though ff10's graphics are way beyond ff7, ff7 has the best storyline and more things to do.FF7 was made in 1997 as you know and even now when ive got my PS2 i still say that Final Fantasy 7 is my no.1 game. Thx
  67. NickC.
    Sep 16, 2005
    Best game ever if you dont like it get out.
  68. Fzukka
    Sep 18, 2005
    One of the best games made. Brilliant storyline and characters are onvolving and very deep. This the first rpg game i played and now i love them. This is the best final fantasy to date. A psp remake of this will be perfect.
  69. DeWayneH.
    Nov 6, 2006
    The best game ever made. I know it is a little bit outdated and the graphics aren't exactly superb, but this is the number one game of all time. And everybody knows that graphics don't make a game, right? It has the greatest storyline of any game, period. The only storyline that comes close would be God of War. The gameplay is awesome. It is so fun that anybody can enjoy it. The The best game ever made. I know it is a little bit outdated and the graphics aren't exactly superb, but this is the number one game of all time. And everybody knows that graphics don't make a game, right? It has the greatest storyline of any game, period. The only storyline that comes close would be God of War. The gameplay is awesome. It is so fun that anybody can enjoy it. The materia system is awesome, any idiot can pick up the controller and have fun. The level uip system is awesome. And it is one of the few Final Fantasies that doesn't have set abilities for certain people. Anybody can be a straight up physical attacker or a healer or a black mage. It doesn't matter. I would give this game a 14 /10, but they won't let me. Expand
  70. NickB.
    Jan 20, 2006
    This was a great game, storyline was excellent (who can forget the scene at the end of disc 1?), music was great as to be expected, but the overworld graphics could have been a little better.
  71. JamesT.
    Dec 2, 2006
    Best game on the ps1. The only little problem is the graphics but who really cares about the graphics its the gameplay that matters and it has great gameplay, also the storyline is one of the best it got me hooked right away. I hope they make a remake of the game.
  72. Mrexxx
    Oct 26, 2006
    I just started this game in early 06 and even though the graphics are outdated, it's story makes up for it. Its easily the best game I have played graphics or not.
  73. LeanneT.
    Mar 14, 2006
    I love this game, it's the best I have in my whole range of FF games, for the year it was out in the graphics were ace and they storyloine was so intricate I had to play it over and over, which made me enjoy it evenmore.
  74. JustinG.
    Jun 11, 2006
    The storyline of FF7 imerses you in a complete universe of vivid characters who make the game feel like you are reading a book. Through the 3 discs of the game, you will get hooked on knowing the outcome of the characters. Despite now dated graphics and technology, the nostalgia for fans of the FF series is great.
  75. Sephiroth
    Jun 5, 2006
    This was the best Final Fantasy game Ever! It had the best FF storyline,great Playstation graphics at the time and the audio was phenominal!
  76. WIll
    Aug 15, 2006
    For those of you that say this game sux well... have you actually sat and played it for over 20mins? If so try playing it for a couple of hours and you will very quickly see a story developing. Give it a try guys you will love it. This is the BEST game of all time. One of the first relases for PS1 and so u can accept the graphics which were excellent for the time it was released. And i For those of you that say this game sux well... have you actually sat and played it for over 20mins? If so try playing it for a couple of hours and you will very quickly see a story developing. Give it a try guys you will love it. This is the BEST game of all time. One of the first relases for PS1 and so u can accept the graphics which were excellent for the time it was released. And i dont mind reading what people are saying. You couldn't expect that much talking to be put into such an early game for the PS console so jus get used to it. The story line is very touching and really keeps you playing on and on. It is the best story line ever to exist in a game period. The charactors are good as they all differ greatly to each other. They have there own personalities and own limit break abilities. The game has so many extra (yet not essential) parts to it which you can complete which really makes the game loads more fun. Secret places to explore new weapons and magics to find and ultimate limit breaks are hiding for to find. Expand
  77. BrianB.
    Aug 16, 2006
    My favorite game. Great-story, music, characters, everything. I recommend this game to anyone who is an rpg fan or is looking to play a great classic game.
  78. JasonT.
    Aug 23, 2006
    I give this game an 8.5. The above score says 8, but I really give it an 8.5. Why not a 10? Because even though this game is fun to play, it is not pefect, and by all means is not the greatest game ever made. The reason everyone says it is perfect is probably because it is the first FF game, or even the very first game they have ever played, so in their mind, it is the most revolutionary I give this game an 8.5. The above score says 8, but I really give it an 8.5. Why not a 10? Because even though this game is fun to play, it is not pefect, and by all means is not the greatest game ever made. The reason everyone says it is perfect is probably because it is the first FF game, or even the very first game they have ever played, so in their mind, it is the most revolutionary game ever. This is why FFVII is the most over-rated game of all time. I liked the game (yes, die-hard fans, I've played through the game for MORE than 60 minutes...It took me 66 hours to complete),and the story for the first half or so of the game was fantastic with the Shinra trying to take over the world's supply of Mako, but the story dragged down a little bit with the intro of Meteor and that massive monster that almost destroyed Midgar (I'm sorry, but I forgot the name. Was it Ultimate...something?). It wasn't bad, just not as awesome as how the game first started out. The characters were good, and the death of Aeria was drmatic, and Sehiroth as a villain is good...just not amazing. the storyline of Jenova was really interesting, and the flashbacks into Cloud's past were very compelling...Just too damn long. I don't care what you fanatics say. Cut scenes are great, but I want a game, not an interactive movie. Overall, I'd give it an 8.5, maybe even a 9, since the game is a fun, classical experience. It is NOT the greatest game ever made, but it's probably one of the best RPGs out there. Expand
  79. TylerC.
    Sep 14, 2006
    Might not be the absolute best game I've ever played, but easily the most memorable. I can't remember a better time playing a game than playing FF7 for the first time.
  80. Kza
    Sep 29, 2006
    I bunked school for a month in '96 to play this game. First Oscar deserving entrance into cinematic gaming. People still talk about the soundtrack at parties. A game that defines gamers.
  81. Adam
    Jan 20, 2007
    What is there to say? When people say ceratain RPG's are cliche and been done before its because this game did it. Best storyline yet.
  82. JoeK.
    Feb 24, 2007
    This game is the best game i have ever played and i always loved FINAL FANTASY. Best game for the ps1 no doubt.
  83. HGp
    Jul 16, 2007
    This game is the MOST INCREDIBLE GAME EVER! Along with its incredible secret and graphics, its also support by an equally amazing storyline which makes it one of the best games ever to be made.
  84. CodyS.
    Jul 21, 2007
    FF 7 story line is THE BEST STORY LINE EVER PUT IN A GAME never in my life have i been that emotionaly attached to a game. Becouse of graphics and the no voice i can under stand some one given a score of 9 but any lower is an insult. If you have never played this game before i recomed you go and buy it even if you have to buy a ps or ps2 it is more than worth it.
  85. ThomasH.
    Jul 24, 2007
    This is the greatest game ever created. If you've never played it, then just play it, and you'll see exactly what we're all talking about.
  86. GerryD.
    Aug 14, 2007
    FF 7 was the first FF I ever played, around five years ago, since then I have not found one game anywhere neart as good as this. This is the only game I would ever consider giving a ten. The plot here is much better than any other games which are considered to have amazing plots like deus ex or half life. Even the latest FF's dont give me the same satifaction as this.
  87. MarkC.
    Aug 27, 2007
    I would say this is the greatest game ever made, everything about it is amazing. The story is what all rpg's should aspire to, because it brings you in so easily, and gets you so involved. I have never felt heartbroken for a caracter in a game, but at one point in the game you'll see what I mean. It is a very long game, I think when I finally beat it I had played 58 hours, that I would say this is the greatest game ever made, everything about it is amazing. The story is what all rpg's should aspire to, because it brings you in so easily, and gets you so involved. I have never felt heartbroken for a caracter in a game, but at one point in the game you'll see what I mean. It is a very long game, I think when I finally beat it I had played 58 hours, that right there speaks volumes about the games quality and story. Anyone who hasn't played this game really needs to go out and get it. Expand
  88. SophieB.
    Sep 22, 2007
    After about 9 years of playing video games constantly (since about the age of 6, and I'm still only 15 and probably have a lot more games to play ^-^) I can safely say this is my favourite game ever. Even if the graphics are dated, you need to remember how long ago this was made - and a game which is as complex and well-plotted as fun and addictive is rare.
  89. JoeM.
    Sep 25, 2007
    Totally agree with Chris C, this is the best game I have ever played. I hold it in such high regard that I compare no other game to it, because its just pointless. What really sickens me is people giving this game a big fat 0. Obviously, the only reason they do this is because they want to bring the overall average down because, in their opinion, its too high. There is no other reason for Totally agree with Chris C, this is the best game I have ever played. I hold it in such high regard that I compare no other game to it, because its just pointless. What really sickens me is people giving this game a big fat 0. Obviously, the only reason they do this is because they want to bring the overall average down because, in their opinion, its too high. There is no other reason for giving this a zero because you simply cant justify it. If you ask me, I will only ever give a game a zero if I open the box and suddenly see that the disk isnt there. Expand
  90. JeremyP.
    Nov 10, 2008
    I am a really huge fan of the final fantasy series, but my favorite of all times is final fantasy 7. I just wish that they still sold that game. I've been trying to find that game for a long time. Please start selling that game again. I really want to get that game. That is my number one adventure game and I love that game so much. It is awesome. Please e-mail me and let me know if I am a really huge fan of the final fantasy series, but my favorite of all times is final fantasy 7. I just wish that they still sold that game. I've been trying to find that game for a long time. Please start selling that game again. I really want to get that game. That is my number one adventure game and I love that game so much. It is awesome. Please e-mail me and let me know if you have a copy of the game. I'm starting my own game also. Expand
  91. Neen
    Jan 11, 2008
    I have played every FF game and this one still holds top spot. But don't take my word for it, play it all the way through with an open mind, and remember that this was the first 3D final fantasy title and that the achievements made at that time were phenomenal. If you look into the underlying templates of history and religion expressed in this game you will understand why it is so popular.
  92. Jon
    Mar 2, 2008
    Best RPG I have ever played.
  93. MareusK.
    Mar 23, 2008
    I have played games since i was 4 years old and i am proud to be able to say that I played almost every game worth mentioning in the game history atleast once. There are still a few titles i am trying to aquire, but its really just a few titles. That being said i have to admit that in my 20 years of playing games there were very few titles which managed to reach the heights of Final I have played games since i was 4 years old and i am proud to be able to say that I played almost every game worth mentioning in the game history atleast once. There are still a few titles i am trying to aquire, but its really just a few titles. That being said i have to admit that in my 20 years of playing games there were very few titles which managed to reach the heights of Final Fantasy 7. For those who judge this game purely by graphics i can only say i feel sorry for them because they are blind to the true art game, just as they are probably blind to to any form of art. They probably judge a book by its covers too. Its really sad they dont make more games like this. All of my best games come from 10 years ago. Baldurs Gate, Planescape Torment... Final Fantasy 7. I don't know which is better. Fallout series... God... I wish they would just dump the graphics and start making good old games with good story... Expand
  94. CloudS.
    May 11, 2008
    The very definition of gaming as an art.
  95. sconway321
    May 13, 2008
    This game is fantastic. The story is MINDBLOWING, the characters are brilliant and gameplay is great fun. The only reason I don't give this game 10 is because it felt dated and had bad graphics. But you learn to put these faults aside and enjoy the game. One of my most favourite games.
  96. PhilM.
    May 15, 2008
    This game, along with FFVIII are both the best games I've ever played in my life. The inconsistent art style is probably the only thing holding this game back. Everything else is just so perfect, such an immersive game.
  97. Brian
    Jul 16, 2008
    I have to agree with tyler. i got this game when it came out first and was absolutely blown away... 1997 i think. i cant see how it could be described as sub par - sub par to what ? what else was really comparible to ff7 at the time? out of every game ive ever played i still rate it no1- best game ive ever played and im sure alot of people would agree.
  98. JasonD
    Aug 22, 2008
    This game is a work of art... I played this game for 70 hours and I had a hard time fighting the final battle not because it was hard(if you can beat the ultimate weapons, Sephiroth is nothing) it was hard becasue I did not want the game to end,this is the only game i have ever played that made me mourn at the thought of it coming to an end. The graphics were outstanding... the best of This game is a work of art... I played this game for 70 hours and I had a hard time fighting the final battle not because it was hard(if you can beat the ultimate weapons, Sephiroth is nothing) it was hard becasue I did not want the game to end,this is the only game i have ever played that made me mourn at the thought of it coming to an end. The graphics were outstanding... the best of its time period. if you dont agree prove it.... tell me a title to look at. But as I remeber it, games went from SNES/SAGA graphics to FF7. the story is the greatest but in my opinion the freedom of this game is what made it the most revolutionary game I have ever played. of the 70 hours of game play 10 hours were story the other 60 were free reign of an entire world with vehicals to navagate every inch of the planet sized map, with side quest and character development that you are FREE to explore or not THIS GAME IS THE BEST GAME I HAVE EVER PLAYED. Expand
  99. RobertY.
    Aug 22, 2008
    Perhaps not the best game of all time, but among the best. To respond to what was stated by Mike M., there are numerous flaws in his criticism. First -- the graphics were absolutely spectacular for being the beginning of the Playstation Era. I remember, after playing Final Fantasy VIII and IX, thinking back at how much "worse" the VII graphics were. However, upon playing VII again I Perhaps not the best game of all time, but among the best. To respond to what was stated by Mike M., there are numerous flaws in his criticism. First -- the graphics were absolutely spectacular for being the beginning of the Playstation Era. I remember, after playing Final Fantasy VIII and IX, thinking back at how much "worse" the VII graphics were. However, upon playing VII again I realized my error. The fact is, they did absolutely amazing things with the resources they had. Second, regarding the characters. Mike's comments lead me to wonder if he played through the entire game, specifically to Disk 3. They do indeed start by presenting the characters as the usual stereotypes. However, through the game you find out more about each character, including some major things that make them anything but your ordinary "wooden, teen-programmed protagonists." Third, you call Sephiroth an "angst-ridden villain who we must accept as evil simply because he acts like it, with little discernible motivation." There are places you would get lynched for saying this. First, Sephiroth is perhaps one of the most complex villains of all time, because he is truly likable. In addition, his actions are clearly being influenced by an outside source (Jenova), which has an unknown degree of control over him. In addition, his relationship and history with the main character leave room for major psychological examination. I have written college papers on the subject of Sephiroth, and so I think we can drop the mistaken notion you seem to have that he is stereotypical. In addition, the primary struggle in the story is not "ultimate good versus ultimate evil." When truly examined (assuming you've played through the entire game), you can see that the primary conflict is the psychological conflict that the main character has with himself. Even the final battle can be viewed entirely as an allegory for a struggle inside his mind. "Good and evil" are not the sides presented. The "good" characters are clearly flawed, even somewhat villainous in their own ways. The "evil" characters are clearly gifted and most are very likable, despite being on the opposite side of the conflict. There were indeed more groundbreaking projects, similar deep stories, and these games should have a better reputation. This does not, however, diminish the amazing gameplay, graphics (yes, graphics), story, characters, and structure of this game. It's more than a "good JRPG." It's a great, universal RPG that is one of the most timeless classics we have seen in the genre. Expand
  100. DerekG.
    Oct 3, 2009
    To consider this game's rating, I'd have to say I'll compare to when it came out, because that's when I got it. The graphics were a revolutionary idea, even though now the polygons look horrible and deformed, it had a captivating story, characters and soundtrack, and the battles were enjoyable, especially the battles with Emerald and Ruby WEAPON.

#1 Most Discussed PS1 Game of 1997
#2 Most Shared PS1 Game of 1997

1. GMR Magazine
    Brought RPGs into the Western spotlight and contained the most debated plot twist of an era. [Feb 2003, p.97]
  2. You can play the game time and time again. Always finding something new, from a new piece of materia to a new place, to defeating the ultimate weapons. The story twists and turns all the time always keeping you guessing as to what will happen next.
  3. Without a doubt, FF7 is one of the top Final Fantasy games out there. It is also one of the best RPG adventures of all time.