Final Fantasy VII PlayStation

9.1

1. Jul 25, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. There were some RPGs before this one, but no doubt after this game this style got a lot of attention from a variety of players. This game have a complex and interesting story, a charismatic villain and a not so bland main character.

The character development is very simple, we just basically level up, but the magic system is very fun. The planet in this game is a living entity and produces “materia”, which are solidified “life stream”, the stuff the planet gives life to any being. We equip materias in our weapon and armor, and they level up as we kill enemies. Our characters can use magic and special powers depending on which materias he has equipped. The battle system is turn based, as most classic RPGs are, and we find aleatory battles as we walk around.

In the beginning we start in Midgar, a big city full of technology, while in the rest of the world they seem to be between medieval times and pre-modern technology, as it’s common on Final Fantasy titles. This city, Midgar, is sucking the life force of the planet to power it’s machines.

In Midgar the technology is far advanced, they were able to create soldier clones to serve them, and they have super-human powers. Theses soldiers have no family, but they implant false memories in them, so they think they are like any normal person. You are one of those soldiers, fight as a rebel against the Midgar government, or Shinra enterprises, to save nature and the planet, as everything is dying around the city.

Soon you find your true enemy, another clone soldier called Sephiroth that had discovered his origin and rebels against Midgar, using his superior powers to kill a lot of people in the Shinra Headquarters, the main building and enterprise behind the mining of the life stream from the planet. His motives are revenge, and soon after he discovers a menace to the planet and will try to use it to his advantage, bringing humankind to the brink of extinction.

This is just the very beginning of the game, the story is profound and full of details. Everything is grand and ambitious about this game, it was a revolution at the time. I’m glad to see they are doing a remake, this game deserves, it was a masterpiece.
  2. Jul 23, 2016
    This game is amazing, still up to this day. Story is well done, Combat is amazing, and Likable Characters.

Pros: +Story +Graphics, which are impressive for a ps1 game. +Characters +Gameplay +World +Fun Minigames +It's long. The 15 dollars is worth it Cons: -The beginning was slow -Time-based combat was awkward at first -That (O) is the select/Interact button, and (X) was

Pros:
    +Story
    +Graphics, which are impressive for a ps1 game.
    +Characters
    +Gameplay
    +World
    +Fun Minigames
    +It's long. The 15 dollars is worth it

Cons:
    -The beginning was slow
    -Time-based combat was awkward at first
    -That (O) is the select/Interact button, and (X) was the cancel/run button.

I so recommend this game, a lot!
  3. Jul 22, 2016
    All I have to say about this game is that it actually saved my life when I was young as I became very depressed and suicidal but this game gave me something to live for. Sounds ridiculous but it is the truth and after I finished playing it I felt inspired and wanted nothing more then to live my life. The story felt years before it's time, the music score was the best emotive music I haveAll I have to say about this game is that it actually saved my life when I was young as I became very depressed and suicidal but this game gave me something to live for. Sounds ridiculous but it is the truth and after I finished playing it I felt inspired and wanted nothing more then to live my life. The story felt years before it's time, the music score was the best emotive music I have ever heard and the content blew my mind. All in all it has inspired me throughout my life. No matter how old you are and no matter where you hail from, this game will truly leave you breathless and lost for words. Expand
  4. Jul 17, 2016
    El juego de rol que encandiló a los jugadores de las viejas generaciones e hizo enamorarse a multitud de personas por este género. Engancha desde el principio, acción nada más empezar. Personajes carismáticos todos ellos. Contrastan combates emocionantes con escenas profundas y emotivas (si lo has jugado sabrás a qué escena me refiero). Al ser largo, tiene horas y horas de juego que haránEl juego de rol que encandiló a los jugadores de las viejas generaciones e hizo enamorarse a multitud de personas por este género. Engancha desde el principio, acción nada más empezar. Personajes carismáticos todos ellos. Contrastan combates emocionantes con escenas profundas y emotivas (si lo has jugado sabrás a qué escena me refiero). Al ser largo, tiene horas y horas de juego que harán disfrutar al jugador. Personajes muy personalizables gracias a las numerosas armas, magias (materias) y objetos. Mención especial a la gran banda sonora de Nobuo Uematsu, genial. Un juego que muy difícilmente pueda ser superado por otro nuevo título de la franquicia o algún remake. Es terminar el juego y querer volver a jugarlo, sentirás pena al haberlo terminado, al igual que sucede con los buenos libros. Una obra maestra 100%. Expand
  5. Jun 23, 2016
    Final fantasy VII is a great ps1 game, it was released in 1997 along with crash bandicoot 2 and oddworld abe's oddysee, if you're final fantasy fan check it out!
  6. Jun 12, 2016
    Gameplay: 8/10 It's very fun and the mini games make it even better but can be slow at times. Story: 10/10 Engaging and full of twists. Also quite sad and emotional and has lots of backstory. Music: 10/10 Every track fits the time it's played and goes well with whats happening. Lots of songs are also very epic and memorable. Graphics: I'm gonna base this on what it would have been like inGameplay: 8/10 It's very fun and the mini games make it even better but can be slow at times. Story: 10/10 Engaging and full of twists. Also quite sad and emotional and has lots of backstory. Music: 10/10 Every track fits the time it's played and goes well with whats happening. Lots of songs are also very epic and memorable. Graphics: I'm gonna base this on what it would have been like in 1997 so 8/10. Ok so I wasn't born until 2002 but even someone like me thinks that the backgrounds look great and the cutscenes still hold up today but the character models look terrible now and I don't think they would of looked that great back in 1997. Battles: 9/10 Again like in gameplay is tactical and engaging but relatively slow. World 9/10: Ok so I'm not that far through but the midgar section was amazing but I think it decreased in quality slightly after you leave but back to this topic. The world is amazing in midgar and perfectly fits the setting but I didn't enjoy the exploration of the overworld as much as the midgar section (but I haven't been out for long and it might grow on me) Overall even with its problems I'd still give this game a 10/10 Expand
  7. Jun 6, 2016
    If I could I would rate this game 11 out of 10 but I can’t. Final Fantasy VII isn’t just a game it is a god for itself. This game is beyond amazing beyond awesome beyond masterpiece. Perhaps you don’t believe I’ve finished this game on 2016 with PSX emulator!! Several times during playing this game I said with myself “The value of this game is much more than many of high graphic games ofIf I could I would rate this game 11 out of 10 but I can’t. Final Fantasy VII isn’t just a game it is a god for itself. This game is beyond amazing beyond awesome beyond masterpiece. Perhaps you don’t believe I’ve finished this game on 2016 with PSX emulator!! Several times during playing this game I said with myself “The value of this game is much more than many of high graphic games of the current generation”. I still can’t believe this game was released on 1997. This game has dozens of positive things: Beautiful environments and locations, addictive gameplay, cool and charismatic characters, incredible music, amazing boss fights, awesome variety of enemies, entertaining side quests, fantastic story and an unforgettable ending and … . I finally understand why we were hearing news about the “remake” of this game on websites and game magazines. 100% one of the greatest games in the history of video gaming. Expand
  8. May 29, 2016
    This game is just superb, everything here matches, the art, the music, the story is easy to follow from the beginning, you will care for the characters, the soundtrack by Nobuo Uematsu is **** amazing!
    If you like J-RPGs this one is needed in you collection! Just buy it, don't find any reason to not buy it, just buy it.
  9. May 17, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Final Fantasy VII is one of those games that has many things I don't like, but it also has many things that are more than marvelous. This game has one the best villains ever created, best Final Fantasy villain ever, Sephiroth.

FF7 has many playable characters and everyone is well made. Some are more interesting than others, but Red XIII, Vincent Valentine and Tifa Lockheart are my absolute favorites. Then there is characters like Caith Sith, that I don't give a damn.
    Main character Cloud is fairly good but I have never really understand that why he is so popular. He is pretty boring character when compared to many so good ones. Red and Vincent both have more interesting story than Cloud's. Even the romance with Cloud is not very catching. Cloud and Aeris sure make a great couple and with that fact, this game have one of the most shocking moments ever in Final Fantasy. Tifa and Cloud are not very interesting as a couple.
    FF7 has very interesting story with all little side stories. There is surprises and I was really interesting about Sephiroth. It is little stupid with end on Disc 2.
    With many other characters, FFVII is build well. Characters have stories and real background.

Gameplay might just be the best in whole series. I like FF8 and junction system, it gives a lot of variate and challenge, but FF7 has Materia system, that works better in bigger picture. Using MP is good idea and with large amount of different materias and combinations, with red, purple, grey and yellow materia, it all work and give you a lot of freedom, how to build your team.

World is large and there is a lot to do. Many things are fun and give you a lot of freedom. There many strong monsters, secret stories and mission and even few team-mates are optional. But there is also those bad things that do not work that well.
    Chocobo raising (Golden Chocobo) becomes frustrating and man items in this game are missable, which is one of the biggest things I dislike. Then there is bad design, why there is final limit break, that is one of the weakest of them all max dmg 9999, once. These things just frustrate me.

But one thing I really dislike in this game, is the graphic. Graphic do not make game, but this graphic is one I despise. That is the one thing that makes FF8 that one bit better than FF7. Graphic is good in fighting, but why the overall character graphic have to be some **** LEGO block. It has some value, but in long run, I dislike it.

With all this, you might think that FFVII is bad game, but it is not. Final Fantasy VII is one of the best PS games ever and second best Final Fantasy game ever made. Game has a lot of weapons and materia, with Battlestyle and Materia system, that make battles really fun and give a lot to do.
    Every character has own style with limits and weaponry. There is many team-mates and majority of them is more than just fine, they are great.
    FFVII gives so much to do and it is fun to build characters with superb materia and defeat monsters that are really hard cases. With every rare materia and weapon to be found, this is huge game and well made one. There is bad things in this game, but overall, they can be put aside.

I think this game could have used better ending and more cutscenes, with overall better graphic, but well, that is why remake is coming.
    Final Fantasy VII is great game and finale is one of the best in the series. Sephiroth is villain that becomes better than any other character in the game, every way.

+ Sephiroth
    + Well made playable characters
    + Stories
    + Gameplay with Materia system
    + So much to do

- Block style graphic
    - Missable items
    - So many bad design ideas

Masterpiece
  10. Apr 18, 2016
    Un juego mágico lleno de emoción con escenas que se quedan grabadas en la mente por siempre.
    El sistema de combate es excelente y no cansa, a pesar de sus más de 40 horas de duración.
    También hay que destacar que toca el techo gráfico de PS1.
    Destro del catálogo de esta consola, es sin duda, uno de los grandes imprescindibles.
  11. Apr 13, 2016
    So nearly a 9 if it wasn't for a glaring issue that is, as far as I can tell, just for me. The frickin' characters are generic. I hear from people who complain about FF XIII for having generic characters with only one emotion throughout the game when this is just the same. I don't really know of a time throughout the game when Cloud wasn't angst or Barret wasn't 100% morally good but anSo nearly a 9 if it wasn't for a glaring issue that is, as far as I can tell, just for me. The frickin' characters are generic. I hear from people who complain about FF XIII for having generic characters with only one emotion throughout the game when this is just the same. I don't really know of a time throughout the game when Cloud wasn't angst or Barret wasn't 100% morally good but an arse at the same time. Gotta admit the story's fun but as always the critic in me, whilst playing, drifted towards optional things after all what's the point in having side orders if they don't look appealing. The result: I wanted more side quests! They were amazing and hooked me in big time. The main plot to the game starts off well but if you're like me and you're playing the PS4 edition however you've played the PSOne version in the past then you'll take notice of the lack of "insert disc blah" which actually works against the game. You see something big happens after the first disc which leads to a bit of chill out time at the beginning of the second disc which is appreciated however you don't get that feeling when it just continues. You don't get that brake, even for a few seconds, which adds so much thought into what happened and what's going to happen. I know you can stop after that point but if it just continues then you want to keep playing. The PS4 does add some cool features such as R3 which now speeds up the in game speed. When you sit through a slow 10 minute animation of several characters getting off of a train again and again it kind of gets tiring so this feature is much appreciated. We also get what I like to call the "why bloody hell would you want to press this button in any way whatsoever even if you were held at gunpoint that's a bad idea" button. Or R3 and L3 pressed together which turns off random encounters. Why is this a bad idea? No encounters=no points (xp)= screwed when fighting a boss. You also get a button that counters this by just healing you. All in all I enjoyed this game but not as much as FF X. Not the game's fault it's just that I grew up with X.
    Big question: would I recommend this game to someone who hasn't played an RPG before or the current strand of RPG games.
    Answer: No. FF VII is very much a veterans RPG. Don't know how RPG mechanics work? Welp then you're screwed. However if you've played FF games in the past then I do recommend this one! I'd probably say get your hands on FF X HD first to get used to the way these games work as the others sort of throw you in with no help. Unfortunately the line between traditional RPG and action RPG has been blurred since this game so those who are used to playing current RPG will definitely need some adjustment periods in order to get through this one however I enjoyed the crap out of it :D
  12. Mar 15, 2016
    What can I say that hasn't been said yet... Final Fantasy VII marks the beginning of an era. It says goodbye to the old-traditional equip a sword and go fight 1000 random encounters RPG's and welcomes an era where the important part of the game is the storyline and the character developement, and in what way it does that... Impressive storyline, impressive characters (each one of them),What can I say that hasn't been said yet... Final Fantasy VII marks the beginning of an era. It says goodbye to the old-traditional equip a sword and go fight 1000 random encounters RPG's and welcomes an era where the important part of the game is the storyline and the character developement, and in what way it does that... Impressive storyline, impressive characters (each one of them), enormour plot twists, and all that topped with SquareSoft's unique skill for making great soundtracks and ambientation. The result? The historical game everyone knows FFVII is.

Anyone that has not played this game needs to go and buy it asap, this is one of those videogames you have to play once in your life if you like videogames just a bit.
  13. Feb 19, 2016
    If I can have any video game in the world, what would it be? Picking one would be difficult... especially when there's a whole load of good video games out there. With Final Fantasy VII, nothing can completely stop it from being the best Final Fantasy game in the entire universe.
  14. Jan 15, 2016
    Solid game when it first came out. Materia system was good on paper but in reality it was very limited by forced links and dev design, and at the end of the day, because the game offers no real challenge till the end, you were leveling most of that materia just because you could. Playing 19 years later can get frustrating.
  15. Jan 13, 2016
    No matter how many other games I play, no matter how much time goes by, I cannot think of a game I enjoyed more than FFVII. Perhaps it was the fact that I never had a PC or console of my own as a kid, until I was about 11 or 12 years old when I got a Playstation, and the first game I really spent a lot of time with in my own home was FFVII. Perhaps it's the excellent soundtrack; one inNo matter how many other games I play, no matter how much time goes by, I cannot think of a game I enjoyed more than FFVII. Perhaps it was the fact that I never had a PC or console of my own as a kid, until I was about 11 or 12 years old when I got a Playstation, and the first game I really spent a lot of time with in my own home was FFVII. Perhaps it's the excellent soundtrack; one in which every single track sticks with you for a lifetime. There's nothing generic about any of the music, it's all just sublime nostalgia nearly 20 years later. OR maybe it's just the epic story line that brought us one of the most memorable, intriguing villains in video game history, and one of the most iconic heroes of the time. There's a lot of different aspects of this gamer that make it not only a 10/10, but my favorite game, above all else. My second favorite game of all time is Starcraft - I spend hundreds of hours in UMS games in Starcraft. But the overall quality and experience of FFVII was unreal at the time. In modern times it is rare that we get a game with so much heart and soul poured into it, one with a soundtrack that sticks with you for years and years and one that has a long, interesting story to go along with a unique gameplay experience. That simply doesn't happen much anymore, if at all. FFVII is much more than a mere video game. It's a work of art and a powerhouse ofa consoel seller. How many people do you know who bought a Playstation back in the day jsut to play FFVII? That's precisely how I ended up with mine. Before that, video games were casual fun for me. FFVII left me in awe and lusting for more. It shocking my imagination into overdrive and propelled me into the world of the wonders of technology. I couldn't believe how beautiful the game was at the time. The game is simply a wonder of technology, art and storytelling for the time. And it's loved so deeply and broadly that now, even after they said it would never happen, Square is remaking this masterpiece. We can only hope that the remake brings us a fraction of the joy and wonder we had with FFVII way back in 1997. Expand
  16. Dec 27, 2015
    A legendary game. I discovered it recently and was stunned, when a game with such old graphics can captivate you like that in 2015, it means a lot. Gameplay was great, materia system excellent, good story and interesting characters. Rich environment and huge map (for the time), excellent boss fights. Loved it, I am glad I played it.
  17. Dec 14, 2015
    Clásico de rol que ha llenado de diversión y disfrute a las infancias de millones gamers veteranos. Historia atrapante, gran música, personajes carismáticos y un sistema de combate muy bueno.
  18. Dec 10, 2015
    The game. Is. Legendary. Cubic graphics are sometimes players would face when playing in Playstation console or emulators though but overall the game is one of a kind treasure you would not want to miss. Cloud Strife, Sephiroth, Tifa, Aerith, Barret, Cid, Yuri, RedXIII, Vincent, Shinra soldiers, Rufus, Behemoth, Bahamuth, Ifrit, Chocobos. These characters are in the game and you're likeThe game. Is. Legendary. Cubic graphics are sometimes players would face when playing in Playstation console or emulators though but overall the game is one of a kind treasure you would not want to miss. Cloud Strife, Sephiroth, Tifa, Aerith, Barret, Cid, Yuri, RedXIII, Vincent, Shinra soldiers, Rufus, Behemoth, Bahamuth, Ifrit, Chocobos. These characters are in the game and you're like watching a television series with you playing as some characters of the game. It's like a good television cartoon series, it is. Expand
  19. Sep 23, 2015
    A game clearly far ahead of it's time. Got this as a child (born in '90) back in 1997, only had it because my father was an RPG nerd at the time and bought a Playstation "for me" for Christmas that year and wanted this game for himself while I played Hercules, or Bushido Blade. Little did he know this game would prove to be my favorite and is the sole reason I love single player RPGs toA game clearly far ahead of it's time. Got this as a child (born in '90) back in 1997, only had it because my father was an RPG nerd at the time and bought a Playstation "for me" for Christmas that year and wanted this game for himself while I played Hercules, or Bushido Blade. Little did he know this game would prove to be my favorite and is the sole reason I love single player RPGs to this day.

This game has it all, massive customization, GREAT storyline(the best), huge plot twists, tons of hidden things only found when using an online source or the original Brady Game Guide. This is truly the only RPG game I've 100%ed and it's not because of it's simplicity, but because the storyline sucks you in and doesn't let you go.

When this games remake is released in 2017 I am seriously considering purchasing a PS4 just so I can play it. Playstation has paid for "temporary exclusive rights" so it will probably be on PS4 for a year or two until XBOX can have it, and I just can't wait that long.

If you haven't played this game yet, do it. You will not regret it whatsoever.
  20. Aug 31, 2015
    This is the best game I have ever played. There is a PS4 remake on the way and i can't wait for it. The only other nostalgic and excellent games that I want remastered are Xenogears, Breath of fire 3, Chrono cross/Trigger, Metal gear solid and Resident evil. I don't understand how someone can give FFVII a bad rating.
  21. Aug 31, 2015
    artifact, Masterpiece, history and the ultimate jRPG i've played it long time age but didn't manage to beat this masterpiece after spending around 20 hours on psx but later i've decided to buy it from PSN store and playing it on vita the story still one of the best and exciting and rally twisted.
  22. Aug 23, 2015
    If you want to play the best RPG ever made, buy FFVII. Play it, beat it, and then play it some more.

I'm not even going to put anything else in here other than if you don't play it a second time through, you're missing the entirety of another game. That's how much is packed in here, and that's all you need to know to warrant you going out and buying it. Do it. Now. There will be no

Do it.
    Now.
    There will be no disappointment.
    Ever.
  23. Aug 8, 2015
    First game i ever play, and its my favourite game, its almost awsome in everything, amazing storyline, the soundtrack is fuking amazing, the combat system was pretty good for that time and the freaking awsome cut-scenes,the only 2 problems i catch was this 2 characters models that awfull for me Barret and Cait' Sith and Cloud rocket hands just that. I will remember for the rest of my daysFirst game i ever play, and its my favourite game, its almost awsome in everything, amazing storyline, the soundtrack is fuking amazing, the combat system was pretty good for that time and the freaking awsome cut-scenes,the only 2 problems i catch was this 2 characters models that awfull for me Barret and Cait' Sith and Cloud rocket hands just that. I will remember for the rest of my days the time expend playing this game. No game catch me like this one. But maybe one day another game will catch me. Expand
  24. Jul 21, 2015
    Rating a game almost 20 years after its original development may sound quite strange.
    You basically cannot have high expectations on graphics, mainly because our modern consoles look like reality, i think we have achieved a peak in graphics nowadays, nothing can compare to these modern graphics.
    However, the main role of a gamer is not complaining about graphics. That's easy indeed, our role is to contextualize a game for the period it was released. For example, i cannot give a 4 to the original super mario because of the graphics, that was the best they could do at the time, it doesn't matter if there is another, better-looking NES game, that was released 5 years later. Technology evolves continually and dramatically and even FFXIII graphics look very aged for a 2015 player (when it was released, about 5 years ago, it looked like a film).So we are in 1997. The environmental graphics are pre-rendered and let me say that(even today) they look beautiful. The character's graphichs, however, aren't that good. They barely resemble a person, but i honestly don't think this is important. Final Fantasy VII world is beautifully constructed, it has a lot of places, villages and cities, forests, caves, all very well designed and rendered. Villages look alive, tons of things to do, places to explore, who could ask for more?
    Characters and story are probably the best part of FFVII. Characters are more complex than they appear on first sight. Even the apparently most stupid character in our party has his own dreams, likes, dislikes, loves and interests, and a story behind that defines and fits him/her perfectly.
    Story is very good, full of plot-twists, complex but well explained and music...well, Nobuo Uematsu is a genius of soundtrack... what are you expecting from him?
    Overall, this game is truly a masterpiece in every aspect. Great story, Great combat system, Great Music, Great graphics. Do yourself a favor and play it if you've never done it. You won't be disappointed!
  25. Jul 19, 2015
    There is so much to say about this game. I've been a fan for so long and even after going back and replaying it for what has to be the tenth time I have to say that this is truly a masterpiece.
  26. Jul 14, 2015
    Let's start with soundtrack- AMAZING, AWESOME, BREATHTAKING, WONDERFUL, OVERWHELMING... Just you know, probably the best OST that has been ever made! I love it, I can listen to it everyday! And the story... Meh Aeris, why you died ;(? I really followed Cloud, Tifa, Barret and the others story (love you Cait Sith). Is's as good as soundtrack is (maybe even better). Battle system... I dontLet's start with soundtrack- AMAZING, AWESOME, BREATHTAKING, WONDERFUL, OVERWHELMING... Just you know, probably the best OST that has been ever made! I love it, I can listen to it everyday! And the story... Meh Aeris, why you died ;(? I really followed Cloud, Tifa, Barret and the others story (love you Cait Sith). Is's as good as soundtrack is (maybe even better). Battle system... I dont know why but I didnt enjoy materia at all. I mean it is good but I like FF8 Junction more. Maybe I'm just strange? Nevermind...
    I think that's all. I would give FF7 9.9/10. Just cant give 10 because I love eight part of series ;) Are you waiting for FF7 remake?
  27. Jun 17, 2015
    without doubt the best game ever made. The story, character and music are unchallenged even today. Many argue that it is due to nostalgia. let me say. it isn't. I have played countless of rpgs before ff7. Secret of man, chrono trigger, breath of fire etc.. are extremely good rpgs.Then ff7 came. A game like no other. I eagerly await the announced remake=)
  28. Jun 16, 2015
    Almost 20 years ago I got my first part time job, and spent my very first paycheck to buy FF7. I didn't even own a Playstation at the time, I just got the game because it was the most beautiful thing ever made that would ensure I'd save up money from my new job to buy the PS1 with. And it was worth it. FF7 was simply the greatest game of it's generation.

Sure, other PS1 games had

Sure, other PS1 games had better graphics... years later when the PS1 had been pushed to it's limit. But FF7 was the best of the best at the time it was made.

Ignore the hipsters who hate things just because the masses enjoy it. There is a reason FF7 is considered one of if not the greatest Final Fantasy games ever made. It pretty much single handedly created the US market for JRPGs.

And remember, just because a slightly emo main RPG character is cliche these days, this is the game they were all trying to copy. The original is never cliche, no matter how overused the concepts became afterwards.

FF7 was a generation defining game, like Pong. If you can get past the graphics these days (they are unbelievably crude by today's standards), this is a must play. If you can't get past the graphics, well then I can only assume you only care about shiny graphics and there's always Fast and Furious N+1 for you.
  29. Jun 1, 2015
    What can i say the best rpg game i have ever played oh probaly the best rpg game ever made nothing comes close its a classic i wish they would do a remake my fav game of all time.
  30. May 30, 2015
    This is the most memorable game you can find, and the best. There are so many epic characters, fantastic gameplay, lovely world map, and AWESOME story!

You have many interesting and epic hours if you want to do the story, and even more fun hours if you want to do all of the side quests. This game has also very high replay value, because when you are finished with the game, you will miss everyone and starts the game again after a short period.

The soundtrack on this game is a Masterpiece, you will love it! There are many emotional parts on this game, that is hard to forget. I know the graphics are not perfect, but it's very nostalgic!

This is the greatest game of all time in my personal opinion. Play this game NOW!
  31. May 11, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. One of the greatest games on playstation 1. I hope some day to remaster it. I do not have to say anything more. But i need to write one hundred and fifty characters. i think my score can describe it. Expand
  32. May 4, 2015
    One of the best if not the best RPG ever created. The game play is easy and intuitive and yet fun, the story and the atmosphere are engaging, the character development is cured. Every other rpg owes to FF7 a great debt
  33. Mar 29, 2015
    My all time favorite game. The best game ever made, patiently waiting for the remake of this game for the ps4 or the pc master race in 4k :) 10/10 have beat this game 7 times.... So far
  34. Mar 22, 2015
    best game of history, the system of materia is awesome. Cloud, Tifa, Barret, Cid, Red XIII, Vincent, yuffie, Caith sith and Sephiroth.... perfection!!.
  35. Mar 14, 2015
    This game may be the benchmark that all other story-based games can be compared to and modeled after. The storyline keeps you hooked, wanting to play more and more despite your body telling you that you need sleep and food.
  36. Feb 1, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. There's not much to be said about this timeless masterpiece that hasn't already been said. FFVII takes all of the ingredients which were good in the SNES entries and brought them to the PS. There's nothing this game lacks and whether one finds the graphics outdated or to "have aged badly" is a matter of taste, not fact. From the inspiring materia system to the optional characters, from the open world with hidden secrets to an amusement park with dozens of minigames, from the epic plot with twists never seen before in video games... It is silly how much backstory a game can have when you need atleast 3 playthroughs to remember it all. When I bought the PSone classic port version of the game from PSN and played the game again I was delighted to notice that Aerith notes in the beginning of the game that "there's this materia" she has which is "useless", only to remember that it is the precise materia that will save the world later on in the game.

All the characters have well-developed motives and each are strengthened by a brilliant leitmotif ala Nobuo Uematsu. The optional bosses are fun to run with challenge runs and are in fact rather difficult if one doesn't pay attention to his/her character builds and materia use.

This is a game that never will be forgotten.
  37. Jan 22, 2015
    I Really like FFVII, I'm not a fanboy that adore this game and say "The Best Game Ever" but I really like it.
    The graphics try to look like FFVI, on a SD/Chibi Style, but... Don't get too well on 3D however, I Like a lot of the cutscenes (but they are slow), and scenerys are really beutiful.
    About the gameplay, hardly gets repetitious, because all the minigames there have, but overall, it's a classic RPG gameplay and prepare yourself to grind, because you will need it.
    The history are really a mess, and it's too much riped from FFVI, the characters are ok, my favority is Cid (the best cid on FF), I like others like: Barret,Tifa and Yuffe
    It's a good game overall, have there moments, the history is good and the graphics are ok... It's a difficult game (if you have don't have pacient to grind) have o lot of sidequest (breeding chocobos are really boring), but I really don't undertend why it's so acclaimed, I think it is... a little... empty...
    (Sorry for my english, I'm Brasilian)
  38. Jan 4, 2015
    Quite simply my favorite game on any system. There's virtually nothing I don't love about this game. I've played it from beginning to end more than 25 times.
    I love the characters, story, music, style, world, combat, magic system...
    I love the characters, story, music, style, world, combat, magic system...
    About the only negative I can really give is that it is in desperate need of a serious graphical update. Hopefully someday Square will get its head out of its ass and give us a proper HD remake.
  39. Dec 29, 2014
    For the time it came out it was amazing, a trailblazer. The story remains with you years later. Yes, the graphics have aged and the UI is a bit clunky at times but when it came out it was something else. A true gem. It could be remade at some point to add more rounded edges, but its mini-games, story, and everything else was spot on.
  40. Dec 17, 2014
    Final fantasy 7 is a fond childhood memory. This is in my top 3 games of all time. Great story, great characters. Plenty of value for money.

A solid 10/10. The type of game that comes along once every few generations.
  41. Dec 12, 2014
    This game is perfect. Period.
    You have to keep in mind that it was released in 1997.
    And people are still asking for a remake on a high end console.
    It's like a gamer's dream. Unforgettable story and characters.
  42. Dec 8, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Final Fantasy is without a doubt THE BEST GAME that i have ever played. Pair it up with Crisis Core (PSP) and Advent Children (animated movie), and you're in for the ride of your life. The story of each character is so perfectly described that you can only feel like you've known them for your entire life.
    Fx (SPOILER!) Aeris' death scene surprised me! the fact that Square Soft had the balls to even attempt a move like that, chills me to the my bones.
    You get so much enjoyment out of this game. There are countless possibilities. Choose your party, what materia, armour and weaponry they have. It's got amazingly entertaining stuff such as: The battling, Exploring of the map and of course the Chocobo Racing and breeding.
    I was left with a little tear about to roll down my cheek, because i felt like i was saying goodbye to a part of myself, which i invested in these characters. And also because i wanted more.
    This game woke more emotions in me than any other game, book, movie or TV-series ever managed.

The only thing that's left to say is:
    Go play this game! and if you have already, go play it again.
  43. Nov 6, 2014
    Final Fantasy VII is the best game i have played ever! The gameplay is really addictive, the music matches the atmosphere in this game, and the characters are really memorable.

The first hours in this game can be a little boring, because you can only use a couple of magics and attacks, but everthing will get much better later. And who cares about the graphics when the game is so awesome?

The Materia system makes the player curious, because you can combine them and that does the game even more exciting and fun!

If you are a RPG fan, then this is a must-play for you. 10/10 without a doubt.
  44. Nov 5, 2014
    I think this game right here set the bar for RPG's and not to mention what to expect from FF series. I've been thinking of a way to put this game into words and have failed to come up with a way to describe how amazing this game is. I would honestly say this has been probably the best game I've played since, well ever really. You must play this game, if you don't then you cannot considerI think this game right here set the bar for RPG's and not to mention what to expect from FF series. I've been thinking of a way to put this game into words and have failed to come up with a way to describe how amazing this game is. I would honestly say this has been probably the best game I've played since, well ever really. You must play this game, if you don't then you cannot consider yourself a real gamer, because this is the ultimate game. It's very sad at some parts too, and how many of us can say that we've experienced games that capture our emotions? Expand
  45. Oct 26, 2014
    Final Fantasy VII is considered by many to be the best game in the franchise. Even if you don't think that, you still have to admit that it was as they would say, 'revolutionary.' The first true 3D game in the franchise contains a great story, memorable characters, and fun gameplay, overall. You'll get sucked right into this 40+ hour adventure. If you love Final Fantasy, or JRPGs, or youFinal Fantasy VII is considered by many to be the best game in the franchise. Even if you don't think that, you still have to admit that it was as they would say, 'revolutionary.' The first true 3D game in the franchise contains a great story, memorable characters, and fun gameplay, overall. You'll get sucked right into this 40+ hour adventure. If you love Final Fantasy, or JRPGs, or you are new to the franchise, definitely give this game a try. 10/10 Expand
  46. Oct 18, 2014
    I'm in my mid 30's now, but I clearly remember reading a preview of Final Fantasy VII back in late 1995 when the original Playstation was still in its infancy. I loved the concept, and followed its development as best as I could in those pre internet days.

Then it was released, in a vast hype build up and usually when you have so much hype, the game blows and sucks simultaneously... But how right all the reviews and hype was. This game defined my gaming life for years. and to a degree it still does. The story, the characters, the twists, plot development and music. It ticked every box several times. A tour de force of how to make a game that is worth 10 times its price.

Anyone who did not like this game, well I feel sad for them. And anyone that found this game recently who is young, and is criticising it for its dated look etc. Jog on kiddies, you have no idea what your missing. There are hundred of games I love, but this, this is my mount Everest of gaming. There is no game more perfect in my humble opinion.
  47. Oct 1, 2014
    the best the best the Best game of world it is Memory i love this game today i it still keep untouching. i don care about the graifc this my frist rpg that i play at games. i pround to live in this time +_+ square pleas we want ramke
  48. Aug 25, 2014
    This game gets an unfair bad rap because of the damage applied via the Compilation, and a vast majority of the complaints don't even apply to this game. Sure, the graphics haven't aged well, but everything else in this game is solid. The battle system is perfect, and the storyline, though complicated at first glance, will fall into place if you play through from beginning to end. FFVII isThis game gets an unfair bad rap because of the damage applied via the Compilation, and a vast majority of the complaints don't even apply to this game. Sure, the graphics haven't aged well, but everything else in this game is solid. The battle system is perfect, and the storyline, though complicated at first glance, will fall into place if you play through from beginning to end. FFVII is a masterpiece of an RPG that no gamer should miss out on. Expand
  49. Aug 13, 2014
    Truly genius. Quite possibly one of the greatest games to ever exist. Square has crafted something that truly sets the bar for what makes a good game. A majority of the games released in the past 4 years don't even remotely compare to the quality in which this game contains. This epic spanning three disks hold a plethora of greatness. From some of the best fictional character of all timeTruly genius. Quite possibly one of the greatest games to ever exist. Square has crafted something that truly sets the bar for what makes a good game. A majority of the games released in the past 4 years don't even remotely compare to the quality in which this game contains. This epic spanning three disks hold a plethora of greatness. From some of the best fictional character of all time to some of the coolest attack animations I've ever seen. This game excels in basically all areas. The required boss fights are all fun & with in reasonable expectation of difficulty. The side quest for the most part follow in this vein save with some exceptions hence the reason it's deserving of a 9.5 instead of a 10 contrary to what my above rating suggests. The gameplay is turned based or more specifically ATB done debatably at its finest. The weapon, armor, magic, & summon selections are superb. Sephiroth & his battle theme hold to this day as the best of the best in regards to both villains & music. Overall a phenomenal game that outdoes others in the Final Fantasy series effortless such as Final Fantasy lll, Vl, IX, Xl, Xll, Xlll, Xlll-2, Xlll-3, & quite possibly more. Expand
  50. Aug 2, 2014
    greatest rpg of all time period. remake the damn game already. you will not find another game that has fantastic character development the way this game does. if you like hironobu style jrpg games, this is THE game to play.
  51. Jul 12, 2014
    There is no point in spending too much time on a review for this game as it will all have been stated before, whether it is the graphics, music, story etc. It is some people's marmite / vegimite, and other people's marmite / vegimite.

For me it was the first game which clearly defined how RPG's needed to progress, and without doubt the one which completely hooked me into playing this genre. Unfortunately there has never been another game quite like FF7, shame on you Square.
  52. Jul 5, 2014
    This game is a masterpiece and it's perfect ,the story is one of the best ever , the graphics and visual are gorgeous ,the music is phenomenal ,the villain is one of the best villains in gaming history and the cinematics are great overal this is the best RPG game and on of the best games of all time ,buy it now.
  53. Jun 25, 2014
    Interesting how this game has a 92 rating but I couldn't find it on the all-time highest rated list. Nonetheless, this game is amazing on all levels, with a story that rivals most movies then and now. The music was incredible. Definitely one of the greatest video games of all time and deserves to be on the top 10 of every greatest video game list.
  54. Jun 6, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. THE BEST GAME EVER?! YOU GOT THAT RIGHT! THIS GAME IS ONE OF THE BEST PSX GAMES IN THE HISTORY OF PSX GAMES! X is okay. VI I like, VII is called overrated, but it's the BEST GAME OF ALL TIME! TO ALL THE HATERS OF THIS GAMES, GO GET A REAL HEART AND STOP PLAYING FPS GAMES ALL THE TIME! I LIKE ALL GAMES, EXCEPT FOR THE BAD ONES, AND THIS GAME IS LEGITAMETLY THE GREATEST GAME I'VE EVER PLAYED! Hironobu Sakaguchi is a great man for this game alone. I was moved by Aerith's death, and moved even more by the Cloud and Tifa romantic tension. But after the battle was over, I felt I really accomplished something! Keep up the work! We need these games to show how it's done right unlike XIII! Expand
  55. May 16, 2014
    How many games are able to make you fall in love with a genre, and make it one of your most played genres? Not many, but it's what Final Fantasy VII was able to do with me. It's the first Final Fantasy game I touched, still remains my favorite one of the series, and certainly succeeded in making me in a lifelong fan of the series. To keep it short, I did consider it back then andHow many games are able to make you fall in love with a genre, and make it one of your most played genres? Not many, but it's what Final Fantasy VII was able to do with me. It's the first Final Fantasy game I touched, still remains my favorite one of the series, and certainly succeeded in making me in a lifelong fan of the series. To keep it short, I did consider it back then and still do the perfect game. One of the rare perfect 10s

Graphics: Of course by todays standards they are outdated, but I can guarantee you that back then they were cutting edge, and that the cutscenes had everyone orgasming. 10/10

Sounds: I'm not one to much care about sounds, but even to this day I easily recognize the music and themes of certain characters. If that doesn't speak volumes of the music, then I don't know what will. 10/10

Story: How many games are able to hook you in that you can't lay down your controller? 5-10% Well add this one to the list. I could list a fun anecdote for it, but I'll spare you and keep it short and just say that this game is/was pure addictive. Especially when a certain event happened towards the end of the first disc, and set me so full of rage that I wanted to enact my revenge asap. 10/10

Gameplay: Even to this day I absolute love turn based jrpgs, let alone that the materia system is still to this date one of the best leveling systems I've come across. Another and obvious 10/10

That's why I do go with a 10/10. Normally I would say there's no such thing as a perfect 10, but sometimes in you life you will meet up with something you could consider perfect, and for me one of those few things was Final Fantasy VII.
  56. Apr 4, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Final Fantasy VII is truly a work of art, and I honestly mean that with my heart and soul. This game had dazzling graphics for the time of its release, revolutionized the gameplay of the genre, has an amazing soundtrack, and beautifully delivers its central themes.

FFVII is not like the previous entries in the series. Instead of a medieval or steampunk-like world, it takes to a world more centered around technology, but still retains fantastical elements. I feel some kind of introduction is in order: the planet in its core holds something called the Lifestream, which is magical energy drawn from the life on the planet. This energy can be harnessed as mako, and this mako is where materia and the magic materia grants its users come from. A human-like alien race known as the Cetra land on Gaia and settle with the native humans about 2000 years prior to the events of the game. Around this time a being known as Jenova arrives as well, and infects the Cetra with a terrible disease. The Cetra build massive robotic Weapons to kill Jenova, but Jenova is sealed away before they can use the Weapons. They are put into hibernation; by the time this has happened, there are only a few Cetra left in the world. The only other aspect of the story you need to know for right now is that a city known as Midgar has basically become the center of commerce on Gaia; however, Shinra, the corporation in charge of manufacturing the planet's mako and using reactors to power almost everything in Midgar, is the real entity that is ruling. Shinra is highly corrupt and is draining the mako from the Lifestream, which is killing the planet.

Trust me, I could go into MUCH more detail, but as far as background knowledge goes, those are the essentials. Now, at the risk of skimping out on indicative game elements, I'd like to go over something most people skip: the central plot themes. Yes, FFVII is greatly inspired by both real-life and mythology, particularly from the persecution of Jews and Judaism, but what I'm talking about are the literary themes, for lack of a better word. FFVII heavily revolves around nature versus technology, loss, and identity. The entire plot is a nature vs. technology scenario: AVALANCHE, a team that vows to stop Shinra from killing the planet (also where most of our main characters come from), is fighting Shinra itself. As the story progresses, it eventually becomes the world versus Jenova, and the ones who were fighting for the planet suddenly must go against it to save all mankind. There is also loss in this game. I think we all know about the tragic loss of one of the main characters early on in the game, which was actually inspired by the passing of the mother of the producer and Final Fantasy creator Hironobu Sakaguchi. This is definitely the most heartbreaking loss, seeing as you've spent hours and hours of game time grinding with and learning more about this character--before you know, you yourself have grown attached to this fictional character portrayed through polygons and text boxes, and you start to feel sad, maybe even hurt by the death of this character. Now, aside from loss, there is also identity. There are identity crises and regaining of identity EVERYWHERE in this game. Our primary main character doesn't even remember his memories correctly until almost two-thirds through the game! Identity is dotted throughout this adventure, and I think it is so masterfully woven into even the gameplay elements itself.

Now, you're probably asking by this point why I gave the game a 9 and not a 10 if it seems like I love it so much. Well, to tell the truth, I do think this is the best story I've ever heard and if I could give it a 9.5 I would, but this is not a book or a movie. It is a game, and as a game it is sincerely great, but it is not perfect. I personally think that any game where grinding is basically required is automatically not perfect. The gameplay is your typical RPG, and is still engaging to this day. What's also very engaging are the pre-rendered backgrounds; that is, you have to stare at them for a while to understand where to move. They did not age very well, but they do give the game a different feel, a different style than games before it, and that I applaud. The music is one of my favorite soundtracks in the series. I love it so much because it feels like it came from the SNES Final Fantasy games and was updated with the PlayStation sound chip. The battle themes make you pumped up and the town themes fit the mood of the locales and are comfortable in the background while talking to NPCs. I seriously recommend a listen if you have the time.

The Completionist is currently doing a multiple part review of this game and its various successors. He does more justice than I could ever hope to do in 5000 characters.

It's not the best game ever, but it is an amazing story. FFVII really is a work of art and I hope it will forever be recognized as one.
  57. Mar 24, 2014
    Classic Squaresoft title. Great story, great atmosphere, great soundtrack. I love the materia system, now if only the summons worked like they do in FFX. I didn't care for the Road Rash -esque racing minigame nor the snowboard minigame, but the chocobo breeding and racing minigame is so deliciously yummy. I would love to play a FF VII remake that combines the best features from the entireClassic Squaresoft title. Great story, great atmosphere, great soundtrack. I love the materia system, now if only the summons worked like they do in FFX. I didn't care for the Road Rash -esque racing minigame nor the snowboard minigame, but the chocobo breeding and racing minigame is so deliciously yummy. I would love to play a FF VII remake that combines the best features from the entire series. Midgar is so Blade Runner, would be the best open world city ever. Expand
  58. Mar 23, 2014
    I'm a bit late on the metacritic front, this still gets top marks. Nostalgia, sure, but I can still play this game today and have a great experience. Hoping for an update one of these days :)
  59. Mar 18, 2014
    The first game that ever made me feel something for the characters. I cried when Aeris died and rejoiced when I beat the game. I studied the strategy guide like a text book from school. I spent a good chunk of a summer playing this game and it holds a special place in my heart. It may not have aged very well but to me it doesn't matter. I know one day they'll do a complete remake and I'llThe first game that ever made me feel something for the characters. I cried when Aeris died and rejoiced when I beat the game. I studied the strategy guide like a text book from school. I spent a good chunk of a summer playing this game and it holds a special place in my heart. It may not have aged very well but to me it doesn't matter. I know one day they'll do a complete remake and I'll purchase it no matter what. The direction the series has gone the last ten or so years is disappointing. I don't know how square enix doesn't understand what made these games so great. It was the exploration and open world feel with steady progression. There was nothing like finally getting the knights of the round summon after all those chocobo races and ripping through every enemy with that summon. I loved the materia system I wish they would do it again in another ff game. People that hate on this game only do it because they didn't play the game when it came it. It hasn't aged too well graphics wise but you can't compare it to today's graphics. It's not fair. You can't say Mario bros is a **** game because of the graphics or that golden eye is **** because of the controls. You have to have experienced the games you rate when they came out. Great story, great music, fantastic open world feel, there aren't many games that can compare to ff7. Most people that played it when it came out know that. Best jrpg ever. Expand
  60. Mar 12, 2014
    Where to begin with this great game. For an old school game it still looks really good.The characters are one of the most memorable in the series. The greatness not only comes with the story but through the character envelopment. First in the final fantasy series to go 2d with huge wide open environments to explore. The materia system is genius. Where you as a person could realisticallyWhere to begin with this great game. For an old school game it still looks really good.The characters are one of the most memorable in the series. The greatness not only comes with the story but through the character envelopment. First in the final fantasy series to go 2d with huge wide open environments to explore. The materia system is genius. Where you as a person could realistically put any materia on any person. And for the people it is great to see so many great characters that you could use where all would be exceptional to completing the game. The limit system is great 2 with many different abilities for each character that evolve and get better with each level. The exceptionally great side quest, like getting a gold chocobo, are all great that add to the fun and great story this game represents. I recommend this game for every gamer to play at least once it is a classic. Expand
  61. Feb 27, 2014
    This is one of the greatest jrpg's of all time and possibly one of the greatest stories ever told in video games. The graphics may not hold up too well but the game has to be played by everyone.
  62. Feb 22, 2014
    I remember the days when my friend bought this game in 1997 and i was stunned of how amazing it was. In those days, it was not easy task to bring 2D rpg game experience to 3D. There were only few games which succeeded amazingly. And FFVII was one of it. It brings you the most important elements that any game should strive for it, Imagination and Innovation. Because of those elements itI remember the days when my friend bought this game in 1997 and i was stunned of how amazing it was. In those days, it was not easy task to bring 2D rpg game experience to 3D. There were only few games which succeeded amazingly. And FFVII was one of it. It brings you the most important elements that any game should strive for it, Imagination and Innovation. Because of those elements it will give you good memories whenever you remember it. Those who say it is perfect, well actually it is not perfect. What makes is not perfect is the storyline after Cd1. For those who say it is overrated... it is and it is not. It depends on person RPG experience. Expand
  63. Dec 25, 2013
    FF VII it changed the RPG genre. It provides deep and satisfying gameplay. Soundtrack is pretty neat and memorable. But FF VII story is a bit unfocused and confusing. Example: Group of terrorist(AVALANCE) thinks that the best way to earn equal rights to the people is to destroy city's powerplants. But if you are a RPG fan this game will stun you.
  64. Dec 11, 2013
    This is probably the best game I've ever played. If you're not looking for a traditional RPG where you'll actually have to spend time playing, you really have no business getting this, but if you want to get involved in a deep storyline, one of the only fun turn-based combat systems available, and have a spare 40 hours, there is no reason to not play this. Graphics apart from mini-moviesThis is probably the best game I've ever played. If you're not looking for a traditional RPG where you'll actually have to spend time playing, you really have no business getting this, but if you want to get involved in a deep storyline, one of the only fun turn-based combat systems available, and have a spare 40 hours, there is no reason to not play this. Graphics apart from mini-movies aren't that great, no, but if that's a huge deal for you, there's a lot of games you shouldn't be playing, like anything from the NES or SNES. I personally found the game play to be inviting enough that I played this for well over 100 hours just trying to complete side quests and such. Just make sure you know what you're going in for if you buy this, which is a time commitment and a sometimes difficult to follow storyline (I really didn't have much trouble with it, but other people seem to have). If you're okay with that, then definitely enjoy this great game. Expand
  65. Nov 10, 2013
    A Genuine 10/10

Brilliant in every sense of the word, maybe the characters animations could have been perfected, but hey,its from the 90's, it can be forgiven. Guaranteed cinematic wonder.
  66. Oct 29, 2013
    Storyline is excellent, even with the all too common cheesy moments in JRPGs, the battle system is easy to pick up and the characters are very memorable. I admit, I kept falling in and out of sleep during the first hour the game, but the story eventually picked me up. There are a decent amount of extras and they too deliver. FFVII does have it's flaws, but they eventually become minor andStoryline is excellent, even with the all too common cheesy moments in JRPGs, the battle system is easy to pick up and the characters are very memorable. I admit, I kept falling in and out of sleep during the first hour the game, but the story eventually picked me up. There are a decent amount of extras and they too deliver. FFVII does have it's flaws, but they eventually become minor and the game takes over. Overall, this is the RPG that created the hype behind RPGs and you would do yourself a disservice to miss out on this experience. Expand
  67. Oct 28, 2013
    Visually dated (looks like a polygon's backside), but can still incredible. Obtuse in the way most JRPGs are; no journal, unmarked map, poor localisation ("This guy are sick"), withholds information and penalises organic gameplay (whilst rewarding systematic obsessive-compulsive behaviour) but over the space of two discs and a few months I thought Final Fantasy VII was the most beautifulVisually dated (looks like a polygon's backside), but can still incredible. Obtuse in the way most JRPGs are; no journal, unmarked map, poor localisation ("This guy are sick"), withholds information and penalises organic gameplay (whilst rewarding systematic obsessive-compulsive behaviour) but over the space of two discs and a few months I thought Final Fantasy VII was the most beautiful game in the world. Expand
  68. Oct 25, 2013
    I like that all the negative reviewers in this game are from the ps2/ps3 era and cry about grapichs. Prob 12-y.o who don't know a about gaming and what they are talking about.. St33rpike don't even know which company who did the game. That the original Final Fantasy series came from Square, not Square enix It was two different companies nad I still liked and will prob always like Square,I like that all the negative reviewers in this game are from the ps2/ps3 era and cry about grapichs. Prob 12-y.o who don't know a about gaming and what they are talking about.. St33rpike don't even know which company who did the game. That the original Final Fantasy series came from Square, not Square enix It was two different companies nad I still liked and will prob always like Square, the only reason why I'm still having hope for SE is beacuse of Nomura's games. the other one's that he have no buisniess with aren't even worth playing immo. And this game is avtually his first official game together with Uematsu and they are just a great team together. I'm nog gonna talk about non-releated FFVII stuff here but I'm just saying. Give this game a shot. There is alot of skill costumazion, a very nice story that you'll like. the plot twist nad graphics are very good for it's time. It's a fun game that you easily sunk into and it's somewhat enoyable for at least disc 1-2. then it beacomes a little dull but it is still enjoyable. Expand
  69. Oct 18, 2013
    Final fantasy VII is an experience so exciting. it begins a new era for the rpg generation in the world
    im really impressive. this game teach me a lot of thing about life,hope and dreams,no videogame could give me a reason to love videogame. in 1997,this game made a step forward to the 3d era. it was amazing and still be...a legend of squaresoft
  70. Sep 16, 2013
    One of my favorite Playstation 1 games of all time! The story is great the graphics are classic the gameplay is smooth what more do you want from a game like this? if you own a Playstation and don't own final fantasy VII you are missing out.
  71. Sep 12, 2013
    The fact that Metacritic has FFIX above FFVII is criminal. The former was hardly innovative and had to make up for its lackluster story with mesmerizing graphics that utilized the best that the PS1 had to offer. FFVII was the seed that helped make the Playstation console into the best-selling unit of its generation. Everything about it was new, captivating, and incomprehensibly immense.The fact that Metacritic has FFIX above FFVII is criminal. The former was hardly innovative and had to make up for its lackluster story with mesmerizing graphics that utilized the best that the PS1 had to offer. FFVII was the seed that helped make the Playstation console into the best-selling unit of its generation. Everything about it was new, captivating, and incomprehensibly immense. Anyone knocking on the story while praising FFIX's is a joker. The fate of a central female character in FFVII reduced countless fans to TEARS. When in history has a video game event had such a profound impact on its players? Never. Certainly nothing in FFIX. I don't think FFVII was the best RPG ever made, but it is one of the most pivotal games ever made, period. The only thing more obnoxious than fanboys claiming that FFVII was the best game ever made are the people who think they're being new and exciting by exacerbating the faults of FFVII to make it out to be an overrated game. FFVII is not overrated--an undeniable fact for anyone who actually knows what they're talking about when it comes to talking about revolutionary video games. Expand
  72. Sep 6, 2013
    A traditional RPG when it comes to gameplay, Final Fantasy VII does not stay shy of novelty providing to the player a huge adventure in a very well-thought setting. Despite average in-game graphics, the visual impression is top-notch. It is undoubtedly advantaged by the fact that in 1997 there weren't many RPGs outside Japan, but it is a game so devoutly crafted that has virtually no weakA traditional RPG when it comes to gameplay, Final Fantasy VII does not stay shy of novelty providing to the player a huge adventure in a very well-thought setting. Despite average in-game graphics, the visual impression is top-notch. It is undoubtedly advantaged by the fact that in 1997 there weren't many RPGs outside Japan, but it is a game so devoutly crafted that has virtually no weak point. The plot is excellent, and keeps the player hooked even after 30+ hours of gameplay. Collapse
  73. Aug 30, 2013
    Incredible depth, gripping music(the best soundtrack of all games i heard), interesting characters, amazing storyline, cool combat mechanics and a ton of content and secrets. This is the game i played the most in my life. Perhaps one run each year. The graphics are a bit outdated today but there are mods around to make it prettier if you want. No game has moved as much as this have. ItsIncredible depth, gripping music(the best soundtrack of all games i heard), interesting characters, amazing storyline, cool combat mechanics and a ton of content and secrets. This is the game i played the most in my life. Perhaps one run each year. The graphics are a bit outdated today but there are mods around to make it prettier if you want. No game has moved as much as this have. Its strange though. The first time i played this game i turned it off after 1 hour cause i got bored of the talking. Then i gave it another shot and just couldnt stop playing. Expand
  74. Aug 27, 2013
    Easily my most played and most favourite game of all time, played on release date and between then and now I have surely finished it 6 times or more. While some say that the graphics did not age well in this day and age, I view this product for what is was back in 1997 and everytime I see any footage of FFVII I immediately get drawn in, that is the effect this game has on me ever since.Easily my most played and most favourite game of all time, played on release date and between then and now I have surely finished it 6 times or more. While some say that the graphics did not age well in this day and age, I view this product for what is was back in 1997 and everytime I see any footage of FFVII I immediately get drawn in, that is the effect this game has on me ever since.

It is a near perfect RPG with an amazingly deep story (including various hidden scenes to explain the story even more) and some of the most famed protagonists (Cloud, Aerith, etc...) and antagonists (Sephiroth, Jenova, etc...) alike, an overworld with secrets to discover and last but not least an incredible battle/materia system to get to know.

The pacing is good, especially at the start of the game to get you into things, it slows down a bit after a few hours, but still goes strong, once the world opens up you are free to continue to your next story destination, do side quests or just battle away and level up...Completionist can easily sink 100+ hours into the game.

In short, whether this is your cup of tea or not, this game was a revolution back then and has a legacy for many many years to come...
  75. Jul 31, 2013
    It has the most complex story in the FF Franchise and a deep batte system offering you much variety with the materia system. The OST is very good, altough FF VIII and FF IX are better in this point. One of the best ff games.
  76. Jul 18, 2013
    This game being less acclaimed than FF9 is just plain wrong. This is an absolute RPG classic that any fan of the genre must play. The dialogue is sometimes a bit confusing due to a sub par translation job from the original japenese, and yes the characters blocky polygon build is a bit funky, but other than those two minor complaints the game is great in every aspect. The story is very goodThis game being less acclaimed than FF9 is just plain wrong. This is an absolute RPG classic that any fan of the genre must play. The dialogue is sometimes a bit confusing due to a sub par translation job from the original japenese, and yes the characters blocky polygon build is a bit funky, but other than those two minor complaints the game is great in every aspect. The story is very good and you will have an attachment to some of the characters, the materia battle system is fantastic, allowing you to explore the entire world for hidden multi colored crystals that each have different magic abilities you can equip to any character and learn through experience points. Even more awesome you can link different materias together to give yourself a unique battle edge from character to character. There is tons of side quests to do that are very fun raising your own chocobos and breeding them to make better and faster ones to compete with and win prizes like weapons and rare materia) the search for the 3 ultimate weapon bosses that are very difficult and reward you with the most rare and best materia in the game, the flying saucers fun filled mini games, and more. The soundtrack is one of the best in a video game you will ever hear. Its arguable to put this as the best RPG game of all time, if not the best. Expand
  77. Jun 12, 2013
    Building on the JRPG traditions established in previous entries Final Fantasy VII was the first released on the PSone and for my money still remains the best in the genre. The games characters, storylines and freedom to explore are perfectly balanced and while it may now look a little dated graphically it is difficult to imagine how, apart from reducing the frequency of the random battles,Building on the JRPG traditions established in previous entries Final Fantasy VII was the first released on the PSone and for my money still remains the best in the genre. The games characters, storylines and freedom to explore are perfectly balanced and while it may now look a little dated graphically it is difficult to imagine how, apart from reducing the frequency of the random battles, it could possibly be improved upon. Expand
  78. Apr 27, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Final Fantasy VII is the jazz music of Final Fantasies; if you have to ask why it's a great game, you will never know. In order to appreciate the game, the person has to fall into a certain age range. The game represents a special time in the life of contemporaries.

It was the first RPG of its kind with a truly original story. It still jerks a tear thinking about Aeris' story when she and her mom escape the Shinra lab and her mom dies on the train, or when Red finds-out his dad who he thought abandoned him really sacrificed himself to save the tribe.

Great memories with this game.
  79. Mar 20, 2013
    This game is a definition of a perfect game. Even if played today, this game is amazing. The story line is complex and engaging. The leveling system is great and it is consistent so you will always be getting stronger and better weapons. The way you can customize your characters is completely different from any other game I have ever played. The less you know about this game beforeThis game is a definition of a perfect game. Even if played today, this game is amazing. The story line is complex and engaging. The leveling system is great and it is consistent so you will always be getting stronger and better weapons. The way you can customize your characters is completely different from any other game I have ever played. The less you know about this game before you play it the better. If you have not played this game before or recently, get it. It is out on several different systems. Go get it! Expand
  80. Mar 7, 2013
    Best Final Fantasy games of all time. Great story, side quests and longevity. This game took months upon months to complete with a story that was intriguing and had me wanted to play more and more.
  81. Mar 6, 2013
    Let me start this review saying this: All the people giving this game low scores shouldn't be taken in consideration. The one thing all of them say that deserve credit is that the game is overrated (and that is the very reason why they feel like the game is not good, also, playing a game with either too much expectation or too much scorn has quite a few chances of making it feel and looksLet me start this review saying this: All the people giving this game low scores shouldn't be taken in consideration. The one thing all of them say that deserve credit is that the game is overrated (and that is the very reason why they feel like the game is not good, also, playing a game with either too much expectation or too much scorn has quite a few chances of making it feel and looks bad).

But how could not this game be overrated? This game saved Square-Soft from its doom, it was the second that sold the most in the PlayStation, and if revolutionized RPG, the graphics and game-play were way ahead of its time (interesting to see that people say that the game has bad graphics, well, aside from the fact that the game is from the PlayStation [and it is not the most beautiful game on the platform], did any of these people have taken in consideration the time in which the game was released? Because it was incredible for its time).

Graphics: 10/10

If I was going to take in consideration all the games released for the PS One, I would probably give FF VII a 8/10, but I'm taking in consideration the time it was released. Simply because it was something ahead of its time, and that is why it received so much praise regarding this, people were stunned by how beautiful this game was, specially when the summons were used.

Sound: 10/10

The soundtrack of this game is a masterpiece. The tracks are either beautiful or awesome, from the Fighting Theme to the World Map's theme (Cloud's theme) to the final boss theme (One Winged Angel), they are all good. Sound effects were also good, though I think some of them could have been a little better, there is nothing wrong with them.

Game-play: 10/10

The combat system is really good even for today's standards. The game features the Materia System, in which the player will use these "crystals" called Materia, which are the materialized source of the planet's energy to use their abilities. The Materias are divided in five types: Command Materia (which allow extra commands in battle), Magic Materia, Summon Materia, Support Materia (can be linked to other Materia to enhance their effects), and Independent Materia (which have many functions, such as stat increases and auto-abilities). Equipment are divided in three main sections: Weapon, Armor and Accessory. Both Weapon and Armor have Materia Slots, and this is where you will place then, there will be a limited number of slots, so think carefully about your strategy. The player will use the Materia accordingly to his needs, it won't be all the time, but there will also be times when it will be required of the player the use of a better strategy to fight some bosses (or even mini-games such as the ones in the Golden Saucer). The characters also have special abilities called "Limit Break", this is basically their strongest attack, which can only be used after the player has received quite some damage and the limit bar is fulfilled.
    The battles work with a turn based system with real time elements, meaning each character and enemy will have its turn, but time also counts here, and if the player takes to long to make a decision that means he is gonna get hurt.

Story: 9,3

- Setting: The world of FF VII could be called a cyberpunk medieval world. It has beasts, legendary monsters, magic, guns, machines and other technological equipments. And the combination results in a very unique and incredible world that will never cease to amaze you. (10/10)
    - Character Delopment: This is what FF VII lacks the most. And yet, it doesn't lack much. Yes, characters could have received more time, but each one of them, except for the side characters, has a moment or two in the story where they are the focus, they're all there for something, and at times, not for the best of reasons, but what can they do? Another very good point of the characters, is that they're all really human, the don't really fall for the "hero stereotype". (8/10)
    - Story Progress: The plot is complex. Aside from the obvious criticism (which is not bad) towards the fact the mankind is ruining the planet by exploring the nature way too much, what stands out is that FF VII is a psychological thriller. You will be taken on a ride to discover the true psyche of the main character, and though at times confusing, it is really rewarding. The plot is also very subtle, as many relevant details tend to be either implied or mentioned only once. Many people still argue about who is the villain of the game because they fail to notice what is implied. Still, it is one of the best, if not the best aspect of the game. (10/10)

Replay Value: 8/10

The main reason to replay FF VII is it story and battles, the game itself is good enough to keep people coming even years after they have finished it, the world offers much to do, and there are quite a few side quests to keep people entertained even after they have finished the game.

Overall: 9, 46/10
  82. Feb 27, 2013
    I dont understand people saying its overrated. The only thing overrated is their inteligence...Its a perfect rpg game with a good development and argument...I can stay long time saying things but it will take me all night long so i leave you with only one word: Masterpiece.
  83. Feb 14, 2013
    I love how people say that it has bad graphics, horrible sounds and music, lame story and bad character development. Can't you people see that it's from 1997? It's the FIRST 3D game in the series. How can you expect a fully-HD realistic game when it's that old? Sure, it's a tad overrated, but that doesn't change the fact that it's awesome. I give it a 10 because it gives me large doses ofI love how people say that it has bad graphics, horrible sounds and music, lame story and bad character development. Can't you people see that it's from 1997? It's the FIRST 3D game in the series. How can you expect a fully-HD realistic game when it's that old? Sure, it's a tad overrated, but that doesn't change the fact that it's awesome. I give it a 10 because it gives me large doses of nostalgia. Expand
  84. Jan 17, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. How people can say this game is bad... I have no idea.

No attachent between gamer and characters? I F*****G cried when Aeris died. I was pissed off when Yuffie stole my materia. Every single part of this game had me gripped.

The visuals were great for their time. I know it;s not all about visuals but at the time of creation this was top notch stuff.

The fact that I can still play this today without caring about the visuals AT ALL speaks to the greatness of the story. Epic story arcs and emotional scenes

How many hours of gameplay? a lot more than call of duty : 'let's release the same game again 4' I promise you.

You because you didn't get it.. don't hate on it. Especially when all of your objections are total bull
  85. Dec 24, 2012
    Perfect 10!
    Still holds up fine today, and completely outclass most newer games... just have to get used to the dated graphics abit, but after an hour or so into it, you wont even think about graphics anymore.
  86. Nov 27, 2012
    I can't believe I'm going to review a game that's 15 years old, but I'm bored so here it goes. When FFVII first came out I was absolutely blown away by it. Asked me then and I would have told you it was the best game ever. Now 15 years later, I will attempt to review it in a more objective manner. I recently made a FF pilgrimage of sorts, playing through every game in the main series,I can't believe I'm going to review a game that's 15 years old, but I'm bored so here it goes. When FFVII first came out I was absolutely blown away by it. Asked me then and I would have told you it was the best game ever. Now 15 years later, I will attempt to review it in a more objective manner. I recently made a FF pilgrimage of sorts, playing through every game in the main series, so my impressions are still fresh in mind. Obviously, I cannot really talk about the graphics as being 15 years old, that's hardly going to be fair. But I do remember how awesome I thought they were as a kid. The battle system made me very nostalgic for the way JRPG's used to be. Simple but deep, and you can clear this game without having to resort to grinding out levels. The game features a wide variety of mini-games, most of which are a great amount of fun (I must have done that snowboarding game about 50 times before I moved on). The big question though is how does the story and characters hold up. I truly hated Advent Children, and honestly I have been pretty disappointed by the Compilation of Final Fantasy VII as a whole. After playing through the game , it was crystal clear why there is a Compilation: The story is one of the finest told in the series. Cloud isn't as emo as he has become, Sephiroth is still a menacing figure, Barrett is still a racist Mr. T. Ripoff, and Rufus Shinra is still the most interesting character. Overall, for all younger gamers I recommend picking this one up on the PSN. Don't miss out on one of the best games in the franchise! Expand
  87. Oct 2, 2012
    A little tear is coming down on my face thinking that with the horrible games we have today there will never be a masterpiece like FF VII. Long live FF VII and good old J-RPGs.
  88. Sep 27, 2012
    Final Fantasy 7 is a decent game. i have played 7-8 times. Everytime i play, the scene and atmosphere make you seems to living inside the game. This game not only RPG Genre, One part of it is Adventure,
    Full of secret area, bosses in the open area, you can use highwind travel in the air, or submarine in the sea or chocoboo(like a bird) to explore secret area. In early stage of the game, you are in the city of Midgar, a future-like design city impress you. Soon You will then go to open map and start your trip,
    the Open Map main theme is very enjoyable, i sometimes stop a while listen to it until it ends. Also many BGM is enjoyable. Such as Tifa scheme, Aerith theme, Battle scheme, one winged angel(boss theme)etc. Character design is epic, each character has their own story. And look like they have soul even this is a game. When Aeris died, Cloud driven to crazy, and with BGM, i sure you must be in touch. In later stage of the game, after 20-30 hours, you come back Midgar city, it feels like i am back home. FF7 most impress me is the cut-scene CG, the Opening scene is epic and has something to do with ending scene(aeris appear first and last). FF7 give you not epic gameplay, but what you are in touch with the story by incredible CG, BGM, Character design. It is the best RPG game ever, since i have played FF9, 10, 13-2
    which not comparable with FF7. i give a 10+1 score.
  89. Sep 3, 2012
    What an epic game this was/is. I absolutely love how this game starts out, I'd say the best beginning ever in a video game (The city of Midgar). Every aspect of this game is awesome, whether it's the battles/bosses, music, or story, they are all amazing!!! I would have to say that this game is hands down the best FF ever made, and that's saying a lot for such an incredible series. If youWhat an epic game this was/is. I absolutely love how this game starts out, I'd say the best beginning ever in a video game (The city of Midgar). Every aspect of this game is awesome, whether it's the battles/bosses, music, or story, they are all amazing!!! I would have to say that this game is hands down the best FF ever made, and that's saying a lot for such an incredible series. If you can get passed the boxy character models in this game, you are in for one truly enjoyable ride! A bit of advice, this game is definitely challenging and is what makes it great. You could be doing fine and then all of a sudden a boss will decimate you. You then have to go out and level up, which is fun to do. The secrets and Golden Saucer adds a lot of fun content as well and FF7 has some serious end game content. Not to mention this game also has one of the slickest end bosses and the most beautiful soundtrack of all. Expand
  90. Aug 25, 2012
    A game that blew me away then and is just as much fun now. Called "The game that sold the Playstation" and I can see why. It's fun and entertaining, with hours and hours of gameplay and more if you like exploring and levelling up to be mega hard come the boss fights. Plus lots of the coolest characters and definately coolest bad guy. Once you can explore the world it's truly epic, withA game that blew me away then and is just as much fun now. Called "The game that sold the Playstation" and I can see why. It's fun and entertaining, with hours and hours of gameplay and more if you like exploring and levelling up to be mega hard come the boss fights. Plus lots of the coolest characters and definately coolest bad guy. Once you can explore the world it's truly epic, with side quests. With FFXII and Persona4, this is a stand out game, it's just epic, as simple as that. One of the best games I've ever played, which is saying a lot, and even though it seems ancient now and dated its still a game i come back too. With Suikoden and Grandia II its the cream of RPG Expand
  91. Aug 11, 2012
    This is by far my favorite RPG of all time. I consider Legend of Zelda OoT/Chrono Trigger close to it though, and still playing Final Fantasy 6, but the mood in this game just appeals to me so much more. The spin offs they released are utter crap though, so I'm not some blind fanboy. Being one of the only games to really get me attached to the story, even though people consider itThis is by far my favorite RPG of all time. I consider Legend of Zelda OoT/Chrono Trigger close to it though, and still playing Final Fantasy 6, but the mood in this game just appeals to me so much more. The spin offs they released are utter crap though, so I'm not some blind fanboy. Being one of the only games to really get me attached to the story, even though people consider it overrated, but the flawless mood the game sets is beyond anything I have ever seen in another game since it.

You jump right into the gameplay without some long boring cinematic and it is one of the best execution of story progression in RPG history. This game is a must play for everyone, no matter how your preferences for games are.

I just wish Square-Enix could make games like this again. You will unlikely see another classic fantasy for a long time, so you better play the classics until then.
  92. Jul 13, 2012
    Final Fantasy VII is a classic game and it deserves to be a classic game. It has a great story and great characters that make you want to play the entire game and also give it a high replay value. The only down side of the game is the turn based combat but that was the norm for the time in which it was made. If your looking for a good classic RPG to play Final Fantasy VII is defiantly aFinal Fantasy VII is a classic game and it deserves to be a classic game. It has a great story and great characters that make you want to play the entire game and also give it a high replay value. The only down side of the game is the turn based combat but that was the norm for the time in which it was made. If your looking for a good classic RPG to play Final Fantasy VII is defiantly a must play and that is why it deserves a 10 out of 10. Expand
  93. Jul 2, 2012
    As close to perfection in a game as you're ever likely to see. The finest sound track in gaming history, orchestral and oozing with atmosphere which suits the beautifully drawn scenery. The character graphics, whilst not A-grade stuff, have charm in abundance, radiating atypical JRPG at every turn (see Cait Sith for details!) Speaking of the characters, every single one of them areAs close to perfection in a game as you're ever likely to see. The finest sound track in gaming history, orchestral and oozing with atmosphere which suits the beautifully drawn scenery. The character graphics, whilst not A-grade stuff, have charm in abundance, radiating atypical JRPG at every turn (see Cait Sith for details!) Speaking of the characters, every single one of them are memorable by name, even if you haven't played the title for a decade. The Turks, Yuffie, Vincent... these are side characters yet they roll off the tongue. Even the enemies do; Emerald Weapon remains ingrained in the minds of a whole generation of gamers.

And the story... I doubt that we'll see anything that comes close to it ever again. To this day the only game to have legitimately made me cry with a scene that anyone who has played this game will know about.

In short, it's a classic in every sense of the word. If they ever re-release this on a modern platform it will sell out again and again, because even if you've put 100+ hours into this title you still want more.

There are minor faults, don't get me wrong. But they really are minor to the point of not worth mentioning - for example, there's a few translation issues, one or two of the mini games are frustrating, the world map can be confusing and chocobo breeding is nigh on impossible without a guide, but that's literally it. If you're a gaming enthusiast and haven't played this title, go out now, buy a PlayStation 1 from a second hand store and pick up a copy of FF7 - because your gaming career isn't complete without a showdown with Sephiroth on your CV.

It's probably the only game I'll ever score a legitimate 10/10 for, because when taken as a package, in terms of duration, replayability, storyline, atmosphere, gameplay... it's perfect, and I don't think it'll ever be beaten.
  94. Jun 5, 2012
    From nowadays viewpoint the graphics might be terrible. Since this aspect doesnt make a game worse for my part, I can still say: epic game. Deep story, interesting gameplay, awesome characters, challenging fights, fine balancing... Today still one of the best games ever made.
  95. May 29, 2012
    You just can't consider yourself a serious gamer if you haven't tried this game. Everything here is great: great story, great battle mechanics, great character development, great amount of items, great characters, great length... So, basically, you need to play this game at least once in your life.
  96. May 28, 2012
    Final Fantasy has only been able to do something better than this once: Final Fantasy X. This is THE game of the PS1, flawless. Beautifully made and it also has the best story line ever.
    This game must never be seen as "overrated" for it truly stands up to its legendary title
  97. May 21, 2012
    In short, the most defining RPG of the 32-bit era! It's existence spawned a slew of inferior spin off games and movies, but most importantly helped establish the genre and it's transition from 2D to 3D. Good Plot, hours worth of side quests, great music, rewarding, & addictive. Visuals are obviously dated, but remain charming and were amazing for it's time.
  98. May 15, 2012
    Perhaps the greatest video game ever made. The story is engrossing, the graphics...were...awesome, the gameplay is awesome, and then there's Chocobo racing.
  99. May 11, 2012
    VERY GOOD GAME! People *cough* I mean kids think the game is bad because of the bad graphics and bad gameplay. Yet the graphics are very good for that time. The gameplay is solid and very well written.
    People so say this game is bad never played through it OR are very young. go back to playing call of duty you kids.
  100. Sep 6, 2013

#1 Most Discussed PS1 Game of 1997
#2 Most Shared PS1 Game of 1997

1. GMR Magazine
    Brought RPGs into the Western spotlight and contained the most debated plot twist of an era. [Feb 2003, p.97]
  2. You can play the game time and time again. Always finding something new, from a new piece of materia to a new place, to defeating the ultimate weapons. The story twists and turns all the time always keeping you guessing as to what will happen next.
  3. Without a doubt, FF7 is one of the top Final Fantasy games out there. It is also one of the best RPG adventures of all time.