• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Sep 3, 1997
  • Also On: PC
9.1

1. Dec 17, 2014
    Final fantasy 7 is a fond childhood memory. This is in my top 3 games of all time. Great story, great characters. Plenty of value for money.

A solid 10/10. The type of game that comes along once every few generations.
  2. Dec 12, 2014
    This game is perfect. Period.
    You have to keep in mind that it was released in 1997.
    And people are still asking for a remake on a high end console.
    It's like a gamer's dream. Unforgettable story and characters.
  3. Dec 8, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Final Fantasy is without a doubt THE BEST GAME that i have ever played. Pair it up with Crisis Core (PSP) and Advent Children (animated movie), and you're in for the ride of your life. The story of each character is so perfectly described that you can only feel like you've known them for your entire life.
    Fx (SPOILER!) Aeris' death scene surprised me! the fact that Square Soft had the balls to even attempt a move like that, chills me to the my bones.
    You get so much enjoyment out of this game. There are countless possibilities. Choose your party, what materia, armour and weaponry they have. It's got amazingly entertaining stuff such as: The battling, Exploring of the map and of course the Chocobo Racing and breeding.
    I was left with a little tear about to roll down my cheek, because i felt like i was saying goodbye to a part of myself, which i invested in these characters. And also because i wanted more.
    This game woke more emotions in me than any other game, book, movie or TV-series ever managed.

The only thing that's left to say is:
    Go play this game! and if you have already, go play it again.
  4. Nov 6, 2014
    Final Fantasy VII is the best game i have played ever! The gameplay is really addictive, the music matches the atmosphere in this game, and the characters are really memorable.

The first hours in this game can be a little boring, because you can only use a couple of magics and attacks, but everthing will get much better later. And who cares about the graphics when the game is so awesome?

The Materia system makes the player curious, because you can combine them and that does the game even more exciting and fun!

If you are a RPG fan, then this is a must-play for you. 10/10 without a doubt.
  5. Nov 5, 2014
    I think this game right here set the bar for RPG's and not to mention what to expect from FF series. I've been thinking of a way to put this game into words and have failed to come up with a way to describe how amazing this game is. I would honestly say this has been probably the best game I've played since, well ever really. You must play this game, if you don't then you cannot considerI think this game right here set the bar for RPG's and not to mention what to expect from FF series. I've been thinking of a way to put this game into words and have failed to come up with a way to describe how amazing this game is. I would honestly say this has been probably the best game I've played since, well ever really. You must play this game, if you don't then you cannot consider yourself a real gamer, because this is the ultimate game. It's very sad at some parts too, and how many of us can say that we've experienced games that capture our emotions? Expand
  6. Oct 26, 2014
    Final Fantasy VII is considered by many to be the best game in the franchise. Even if you don't think that, you still have to admit that it was as they would say, 'revolutionary.' The first true 3D game in the franchise contains a great story, memorable characters, and fun gameplay, overall. You'll get sucked right into this 40+ hour adventure. If you love Final Fantasy, or JRPGs, or youFinal Fantasy VII is considered by many to be the best game in the franchise. Even if you don't think that, you still have to admit that it was as they would say, 'revolutionary.' The first true 3D game in the franchise contains a great story, memorable characters, and fun gameplay, overall. You'll get sucked right into this 40+ hour adventure. If you love Final Fantasy, or JRPGs, or you are new to the franchise, definitely give this game a try. 10/10 Expand
  7. Oct 18, 2014
    I'm in my mid 30's now, but I clearly remember reading a preview of Final Fantasy VII back in late 1995 when the original Playstation was still in its infancy. I loved the concept, and followed its development as best as I could in those pre internet days.

Then it was released, in a vast hype build up and usually when you have so much hype, the game blows and sucks simultaneously... But how right all the reviews and hype was. This game defined my gaming life for years. and to a degree it still does. The story, the characters, the twists, plot development and music. It ticked every box several times. A tour de force of how to make a game that is worth 10 times its price.

Anyone who did not like this game, well I feel sad for them. And anyone that found this game recently who is young, and is criticising it for its dated look etc. Jog on kiddies, you have no idea what your missing. There are hundred of games I love, but this, this is my mount Everest of gaming. There is no game more perfect in my humble opinion.
  8. Oct 1, 2014
    the best the best the Best game of world it is Memory i love this game today i it still keep untouching. i don care about the graifc this my frist rpg that i play at games. i pround to live in this time +_+ square pleas we want ramke
  9. Aug 25, 2014
    This game gets an unfair bad rap because of the damage applied via the Compilation, and a vast majority of the complaints don't even apply to this game. Sure, the graphics haven't aged well, but everything else in this game is solid. The battle system is perfect, and the storyline, though complicated at first glance, will fall into place if you play through from beginning to end. FFVII isThis game gets an unfair bad rap because of the damage applied via the Compilation, and a vast majority of the complaints don't even apply to this game. Sure, the graphics haven't aged well, but everything else in this game is solid. The battle system is perfect, and the storyline, though complicated at first glance, will fall into place if you play through from beginning to end. FFVII is a masterpiece of an RPG that no gamer should miss out on. Expand
  10. Aug 13, 2014
    Truly genius. Quite possibly one of the greatest games to ever exist. Square has crafted something that truly sets the bar for what makes a good game. A majority of the games released in the past 4 years don't even remotely compare to the quality in which this game contains. This epic spanning three disks hold a plethora of greatness. From some of the best fictional character of all timeTruly genius. Quite possibly one of the greatest games to ever exist. Square has crafted something that truly sets the bar for what makes a good game. A majority of the games released in the past 4 years don't even remotely compare to the quality in which this game contains. This epic spanning three disks hold a plethora of greatness. From some of the best fictional character of all time to some of the coolest attack animations I've ever seen. This game excels in basically all areas. The required boss fights are all fun & with in reasonable expectation of difficulty. The side quest for the most part follow in this vein save with some exceptions hence the reason it's deserving of a 9.5 instead of a 10 contrary to what my above rating suggests. The gameplay is turned based or more specifically ATB done debatably at its finest. The weapon, armor, magic, & summon selections are superb. Sephiroth & his battle theme hold to this day as the best of the best in regards to both villains & music. Overall a phenomenal game that outdoes others in the Final Fantasy series effortless such as Final Fantasy lll, Vl, IX, Xl, Xll, Xlll, Xlll-2, Xlll-3, & quite possibly more. Expand
  11. Aug 2, 2014
    greatest rpg of all time period. remake the damn game already. you will not find another game that has fantastic character development the way this game does. if you like hironobu style jrpg games, this is THE game to play.
  12. Jul 12, 2014
    There is no point in spending too much time on a review for this game as it will all have been stated before, whether it is the graphics, music, story etc. It is some people's marmite / vegimite, and other people's marmite / vegimite.

For me it was the first game which clearly defined how RPG's needed to progress, and without doubt the one which completely hooked me into playing this genre. Unfortunately there has never been another game quite like FF7, shame on you Square.
  13. Jul 5, 2014
    This game is a masterpiece and it's perfect ,the story is one of the best ever , the graphics and visual are gorgeous ,the music is phenomenal ,the villain is one of the best villains in gaming history and the cinematics are great overal this is the best RPG game and on of the best games of all time ,buy it now.
  14. Jun 25, 2014
    Interesting how this game has a 92 rating but I couldn't find it on the all-time highest rated list. Nonetheless, this game is amazing on all levels, with a story that rivals most movies then and now. The music was incredible. Definitely one of the greatest video games of all time and deserves to be on the top 10 of every greatest video game list.
  15. Jun 6, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. THE BEST GAME EVER?! YOU GOT THAT RIGHT! THIS GAME IS ONE OF THE BEST PSX GAMES IN THE HISTORY OF PSX GAMES! X is okay. VI I like, VII is called overrated, but it's the BEST GAME OF ALL TIME! TO ALL THE HATERS OF THIS GAMES, GO GET A REAL HEART AND STOP PLAYING FPS GAMES ALL THE TIME! I LIKE ALL GAMES, EXCEPT FOR THE BAD ONES, AND THIS GAME IS LEGITAMETLY THE GREATEST GAME I'VE EVER PLAYED! Hironobu Sakaguchi is a great man for this game alone. I was moved by Aerith's death, and moved even more by the Cloud and Tifa romantic tension. But after the battle was over, I felt I really accomplished something! Keep up the work! We need these games to show how it's done right unlike XIII! Expand
  16. May 16, 2014
    How many games are able to make you fall in love with a genre, and make it one of your most played genres? Not many, but it's what Final Fantasy VII was able to do with me. It's the first Final Fantasy game I touched, still remains my favorite one of the series, and certainly succeeded in making me in a lifelong fan of the series. To keep it short, I did consider it back then andHow many games are able to make you fall in love with a genre, and make it one of your most played genres? Not many, but it's what Final Fantasy VII was able to do with me. It's the first Final Fantasy game I touched, still remains my favorite one of the series, and certainly succeeded in making me in a lifelong fan of the series. To keep it short, I did consider it back then and still do the perfect game. One of the rare perfect 10s

Graphics: Of course by todays standards they are outdated, but I can guarantee you that back then they were cutting edge, and that the cutscenes had everyone orgasming. 10/10

Sounds: I'm not one to much care about sounds, but even to this day I easily recognize the music and themes of certain characters. If that doesn't speak volumes of the music, then I don't know what will. 10/10

Story: How many games are able to hook you in that you can't lay down your controller? 5-10% Well add this one to the list. I could list a fun anecdote for it, but I'll spare you and keep it short and just say that this game is/was pure addictive. Especially when a certain event happened towards the end of the first disc, and set me so full of rage that I wanted to enact my revenge asap. 10/10

Gameplay: Even to this day I absolute love turn based jrpgs, let alone that the materia system is still to this date one of the best leveling systems I've come across. Another and obvious 10/10

That's why I do go with a 10/10. Normally I would say there's no such thing as a perfect 10, but sometimes in you life you will meet up with something you could consider perfect, and for me one of those few things was Final Fantasy VII.
  17. Apr 4, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Final Fantasy VII is truly a work of art, and I honestly mean that with my heart and soul. This game had dazzling graphics for the time of its release, revolutionized the gameplay of the genre, has an amazing soundtrack, and beautifully delivers its central themes.

FFVII is not like the previous entries in the series. Instead of a medieval or steampunk-like world, it takes to a world more centered around technology, but still retains fantastical elements. I feel some kind of introduction is in order: the planet in its core holds something called the Lifestream, which is magical energy drawn from the life on the planet. This energy can be harnessed as mako, and this mako is where materia and the magic materia grants its users come from. A human-like alien race known as the Cetra land on Gaia and settle with the native humans about 2000 years prior to the events of the game. Around this time a being known as Jenova arrives as well, and infects the Cetra with a terrible disease. The Cetra build massive robotic Weapons to kill Jenova, but Jenova is sealed away before they can use the Weapons. They are put into hibernation; by the time this has happened, there are only a few Cetra left in the world. The only other aspect of the story you need to know for right now is that a city known as Midgar has basically become the center of commerce on Gaia; however, Shinra, the corporation in charge of manufacturing the planet's mako and using reactors to power almost everything in Midgar, is the real entity that is ruling. Shinra is highly corrupt and is draining the mako from the Lifestream, which is killing the planet.

Trust me, I could go into MUCH more detail, but as far as background knowledge goes, those are the essentials. Now, at the risk of skimping out on indicative game elements, I'd like to go over something most people skip: the central plot themes. Yes, FFVII is greatly inspired by both real-life and mythology, particularly from the persecution of Jews and Judaism, but what I'm talking about are the literary themes, for lack of a better word. FFVII heavily revolves around nature versus technology, loss, and identity. The entire plot is a nature vs. technology scenario: AVALANCHE, a team that vows to stop Shinra from killing the planet (also where most of our main characters come from), is fighting Shinra itself. As the story progresses, it eventually becomes the world versus Jenova, and the ones who were fighting for the planet suddenly must go against it to save all mankind. There is also loss in this game. I think we all know about the tragic loss of one of the main characters early on in the game, which was actually inspired by the passing of the mother of the producer and Final Fantasy creator Hironobu Sakaguchi. This is definitely the most heartbreaking loss, seeing as you've spent hours and hours of game time grinding with and learning more about this character--before you know, you yourself have grown attached to this fictional character portrayed through polygons and text boxes, and you start to feel sad, maybe even hurt by the death of this character. Now, aside from loss, there is also identity. There are identity crises and regaining of identity EVERYWHERE in this game. Our primary main character doesn't even remember his memories correctly until almost two-thirds through the game! Identity is dotted throughout this adventure, and I think it is so masterfully woven into even the gameplay elements itself.

Now, you're probably asking by this point why I gave the game a 9 and not a 10 if it seems like I love it so much. Well, to tell the truth, I do think this is the best story I've ever heard and if I could give it a 9.5 I would, but this is not a book or a movie. It is a game, and as a game it is sincerely great, but it is not perfect. I personally think that any game where grinding is basically required is automatically not perfect. The gameplay is your typical RPG, and is still engaging to this day. What's also very engaging are the pre-rendered backgrounds; that is, you have to stare at them for a while to understand where to move. They did not age very well, but they do give the game a different feel, a different style than games before it, and that I applaud. The music is one of my favorite soundtracks in the series. I love it so much because it feels like it came from the SNES Final Fantasy games and was updated with the PlayStation sound chip. The battle themes make you pumped up and the town themes fit the mood of the locales and are comfortable in the background while talking to NPCs. I seriously recommend a listen if you have the time.

The Completionist is currently doing a multiple part review of this game and its various successors. He does more justice than I could ever hope to do in 5000 characters.

It's not the best game ever, but it is an amazing story. FFVII really is a work of art and I hope it will forever be recognized as one.
  18. Mar 24, 2014
    Classic Squaresoft title. Great story, great atmosphere, great soundtrack. I love the materia system, now if only the summons worked like they do in FFX. I didn't care for the Road Rash -esque racing minigame nor the snowboard minigame, but the chocobo breeding and racing minigame is so deliciously yummy. I would love to play a FF VII remake that combines the best features from the entireClassic Squaresoft title. Great story, great atmosphere, great soundtrack. I love the materia system, now if only the summons worked like they do in FFX. I didn't care for the Road Rash -esque racing minigame nor the snowboard minigame, but the chocobo breeding and racing minigame is so deliciously yummy. I would love to play a FF VII remake that combines the best features from the entire series. Midgar is so Blade Runner, would be the best open world city ever. Expand
  19. Mar 23, 2014
    I'm a bit late on the metacritic front, this still gets top marks. Nostalgia, sure, but I can still play this game today and have a great experience. Hoping for an update one of these days :)
  20. Mar 18, 2014
    The first game that ever made me feel something for the characters. I cried when Aeris died and rejoiced when I beat the game. I studied the strategy guide like a text book from school. I spent a good chunk of a summer playing this game and it holds a special place in my heart. It may not have aged very well but to me it doesn't matter. I know one day they'll do a complete remake and I'llThe first game that ever made me feel something for the characters. I cried when Aeris died and rejoiced when I beat the game. I studied the strategy guide like a text book from school. I spent a good chunk of a summer playing this game and it holds a special place in my heart. It may not have aged very well but to me it doesn't matter. I know one day they'll do a complete remake and I'll purchase it no matter what. The direction the series has gone the last ten or so years is disappointing. I don't know how square enix doesn't understand what made these games so great. It was the exploration and open world feel with steady progression. There was nothing like finally getting the knights of the round summon after all those chocobo races and ripping through every enemy with that summon. I loved the materia system I wish they would do it again in another ff game. People that hate on this game only do it because they didn't play the game when it came it. It hasn't aged too well graphics wise but you can't compare it to today's graphics. It's not fair. You can't say Mario bros is a **** game because of the graphics or that golden eye is **** because of the controls. You have to have experienced the games you rate when they came out. Great story, great music, fantastic open world feel, there aren't many games that can compare to ff7. Most people that played it when it came out know that. Best jrpg ever. Expand
  21. Mar 12, 2014
    Where to begin with this great game. For an old school game it still looks really good.The characters are one of the most memorable in the series. The greatness not only comes with the story but through the character envelopment. First in the final fantasy series to go 2d with huge wide open environments to explore. The materia system is genius. Where you as a person could realisticallyWhere to begin with this great game. For an old school game it still looks really good.The characters are one of the most memorable in the series. The greatness not only comes with the story but through the character envelopment. First in the final fantasy series to go 2d with huge wide open environments to explore. The materia system is genius. Where you as a person could realistically put any materia on any person. And for the people it is great to see so many great characters that you could use where all would be exceptional to completing the game. The limit system is great 2 with many different abilities for each character that evolve and get better with each level. The exceptionally great side quest, like getting a gold chocobo, are all great that add to the fun and great story this game represents. I recommend this game for every gamer to play at least once it is a classic. Expand
  22. Feb 27, 2014
    This is one of the greatest jrpg's of all time and possibly one of the greatest stories ever told in video games. The graphics may not hold up too well but the game has to be played by everyone.
  23. Feb 22, 2014
    I remember the days when my friend bought this game in 1997 and i was stunned of how amazing it was. In those days, it was not easy task to bring 2D rpg game experience to 3D. There were only few games which succeeded amazingly. And FFVII was one of it. It brings you the most important elements that any game should strive for it, Imagination and Innovation. Because of those elements itI remember the days when my friend bought this game in 1997 and i was stunned of how amazing it was. In those days, it was not easy task to bring 2D rpg game experience to 3D. There were only few games which succeeded amazingly. And FFVII was one of it. It brings you the most important elements that any game should strive for it, Imagination and Innovation. Because of those elements it will give you good memories whenever you remember it. Those who say it is perfect, well actually it is not perfect. What makes is not perfect is the storyline after Cd1. For those who say it is overrated... it is and it is not. It depends on person RPG experience. Expand
  24. Dec 11, 2013
    This is probably the best game I've ever played. If you're not looking for a traditional RPG where you'll actually have to spend time playing, you really have no business getting this, but if you want to get involved in a deep storyline, one of the only fun turn-based combat systems available, and have a spare 40 hours, there is no reason to not play this. Graphics apart from mini-moviesThis is probably the best game I've ever played. If you're not looking for a traditional RPG where you'll actually have to spend time playing, you really have no business getting this, but if you want to get involved in a deep storyline, one of the only fun turn-based combat systems available, and have a spare 40 hours, there is no reason to not play this. Graphics apart from mini-movies aren't that great, no, but if that's a huge deal for you, there's a lot of games you shouldn't be playing, like anything from the NES or SNES. I personally found the game play to be inviting enough that I played this for well over 100 hours just trying to complete side quests and such. Just make sure you know what you're going in for if you buy this, which is a time commitment and a sometimes difficult to follow storyline (I really didn't have much trouble with it, but other people seem to have). If you're okay with that, then definitely enjoy this great game. Expand
  25. Nov 10, 2013
    A Genuine 10/10

Brilliant in every sense of the word, maybe the characters animations could have been perfected, but hey,its from the 90's, it can be forgiven. Guaranteed cinematic wonder.
  26. Oct 29, 2013
    Storyline is excellent, even with the all too common cheesy moments in JRPGs, the battle system is easy to pick up and the characters are very memorable. I admit, I kept falling in and out of sleep during the first hour the game, but the story eventually picked me up. There are a decent amount of extras and they too deliver. FFVII does have it's flaws, but they eventually become minor andStoryline is excellent, even with the all too common cheesy moments in JRPGs, the battle system is easy to pick up and the characters are very memorable. I admit, I kept falling in and out of sleep during the first hour the game, but the story eventually picked me up. There are a decent amount of extras and they too deliver. FFVII does have it's flaws, but they eventually become minor and the game takes over. Overall, this is the RPG that created the hype behind RPGs and you would do yourself a disservice to miss out on this experience. Expand
  27. Oct 25, 2013
    I like that all the negative reviewers in this game are from the ps2/ps3 era and cry about grapichs. Prob 12-y.o who don't know a about gaming and what they are talking about.. St33rpike don't even know which company who did the game. That the original Final Fantasy series came from Square, not Square enix It was two different companies nad I still liked and will prob always like Square,I like that all the negative reviewers in this game are from the ps2/ps3 era and cry about grapichs. Prob 12-y.o who don't know a about gaming and what they are talking about.. St33rpike don't even know which company who did the game. That the original Final Fantasy series came from Square, not Square enix It was two different companies nad I still liked and will prob always like Square, the only reason why I'm still having hope for SE is beacuse of Nomura's games. the other one's that he have no buisniess with aren't even worth playing immo. And this game is avtually his first official game together with Uematsu and they are just a great team together. I'm nog gonna talk about non-releated FFVII stuff here but I'm just saying. Give this game a shot. There is alot of skill costumazion, a very nice story that you'll like. the plot twist nad graphics are very good for it's time. It's a fun game that you easily sunk into and it's somewhat enoyable for at least disc 1-2. then it beacomes a little dull but it is still enjoyable. Expand
  28. Oct 18, 2013
    Final fantasy VII is an experience so exciting. it begins a new era for the rpg generation in the world
    im really impressive. this game teach me a lot of thing about life,hope and dreams,no videogame could give me a reason to love videogame. in 1997,this game made a step forward to the 3d era. it was amazing and still be...a legend of squaresoft
  29. Sep 16, 2013
    One of my favorite Playstation 1 games of all time! The story is great the graphics are classic the gameplay is smooth what more do you want from a game like this? if you own a Playstation and don't own final fantasy VII you are missing out.
  30. Sep 12, 2013
    The fact that Metacritic has FFIX above FFVII is criminal. The former was hardly innovative and had to make up for its lackluster story with mesmerizing graphics that utilized the best that the PS1 had to offer. FFVII was the seed that helped make the Playstation console into the best-selling unit of its generation. Everything about it was new, captivating, and incomprehensibly immense.The fact that Metacritic has FFIX above FFVII is criminal. The former was hardly innovative and had to make up for its lackluster story with mesmerizing graphics that utilized the best that the PS1 had to offer. FFVII was the seed that helped make the Playstation console into the best-selling unit of its generation. Everything about it was new, captivating, and incomprehensibly immense. Anyone knocking on the story while praising FFIX's is a joker. The fate of a central female character in FFVII reduced countless fans to TEARS. When in history has a video game event had such a profound impact on its players? Never. Certainly nothing in FFIX. I don't think FFVII was the best RPG ever made, but it is one of the most pivotal games ever made, period. The only thing more obnoxious than fanboys claiming that FFVII was the best game ever made are the people who think they're being new and exciting by exacerbating the faults of FFVII to make it out to be an overrated game. FFVII is not overrated--an undeniable fact for anyone who actually knows what they're talking about when it comes to talking about revolutionary video games. Expand

1. Brought RPGs into the Western spotlight and contained the most debated plot twist of an era. [Feb 2003, p.97]
  2. You can play the game time and time again. Always finding something new, from a new piece of materia to a new place, to defeating the ultimate weapons. The story twists and turns all the time always keeping you guessing as to what will happen next.
  3. Without a doubt, FF7 is one of the top Final Fantasy games out there. It is also one of the best RPG adventures of all time.