Final Fantasy VII PlayStation

9.2

1. Jul 18, 2012
    With Final Fantasy VII, it became clear to me that SCEA had no idea what makes me actually want to play an RPG. Sure, the graphics were interesting, but the game play was so ridiculously slow. Also, the graphics often made the game MORE difficult, because it isn't clear where you can travel and which areas are merely background. The linear storyline left little room for exploration. AndWith Final Fantasy VII, it became clear to me that SCEA had no idea what makes me actually want to play an RPG. Sure, the graphics were interesting, but the game play was so ridiculously slow. Also, the graphics often made the game MORE difficult, because it isn't clear where you can travel and which areas are merely background. The linear storyline left little room for exploration. And the ridiculously long cinematics that accompany some of the combat maneuvers were just unbearable. I totally understand how many people love this game: the story was more complex than most games up to this point. However, the obsession with story and graphics over gameplay made this one a game I wish I could have returned to the store. Expand
  2. Jan 23, 2014
    Kind of a guilty pleasure of mine. The game sucks, but there are some redeeming factors of the game that make me keep playing. But JohnnyD is right. I wasted 42 hours on this game. Wasn't worth it. But I've played worse RPGs. Still the graphics, story, gameplay,and characters are all a mess.
  3. Dec 25, 2015
    Story,Characters,Twists, Blah Blah Blah. It's good for a game to have a decent story once in a while, but the gameplay still has to be good for it to be a good game. All you do in this is sit through cutscenes, walk around a little, go through a tedious combat section, sit through more cutscenes, read some dialogue, walk around, another boring combat section, more dialogue, more cutscenes,Story,Characters,Twists, Blah Blah Blah. It's good for a game to have a decent story once in a while, but the gameplay still has to be good for it to be a good game. All you do in this is sit through cutscenes, walk around a little, go through a tedious combat section, sit through more cutscenes, read some dialogue, walk around, another boring combat section, more dialogue, more cutscenes, and then it's over. The outdated graphics don't help either. Expand
  4. Aug 13, 2015
    Time to rip off the nostalgia beer goggles. This game is bad. It is not bad because of how poorly it aged. No, this was just never good to begin with.

The graphics were actually terrible even in their time. The Playstation was in no way a weak system, ever. But this game seemed to mistake the system for an N64 with cutscene capability, and was designed as such. Even for the Nintendo 64, a consumer would balk at the graphic design student quality textures, with terrible shading and singular drab colours. Note that the PS1 was a 128-bit system, and the N64 was a 64-bit system, and the two had wildly different graphics capabilities. Square Enix did not seem to take that into account when making this. Everything looks unpolished and deformed, with even the titles of that year all exceeding it in graphical quality by a significant degree.

The music also suffers, being below even MIDI quality at points. Even entries of the series on the same system grossly surpassed it. Hell, even Final Fantasy VI, which was on the SNES, a 16-bit cartridge system, had higher audio fidelity at points. I can only surmise Square Enix did not have a very easy time understand the system specifications or what a CD-ROM could hold.

The characters are bland, seeming like either cliches or characters from a dime store novel. Here's what you have: Brooding Character 1 w/ past regrets and obligatory big sword, Innocent young flower girl, Angry black man with machine gun arm, Brooding Character 2 with a gun, Obligatory airship engineer, Mutant dog, Cat with Megaphone, Obligatory ninja, Love interest, and last but assuredly least: Generic psychopath with obligatory big sword, watered down Oedipus Complex, Messiah Complex, and the personality of styrofoam. These are terrible even for a low budget game.

The story is nothing special, although it decides to condone eco-terrorism and make the main villian need a patsy in order to have any definite power. It basically is this: Bad company poisons the world, Captain Planet and his crew come to save the day, then main character crossdresses, and then more Captain Planeting until the story basically whittles down to two almighty balls, fetch quests spanning many hours, meaningless exposition on an already cringeworthy cast, and bad Freudian element implementation. And then apotheosis, followed by battling inside a person's brain against someone you just killed. Then sequels.

Gameplay isn't anything to write home about. Dumbed down to an insulting point, the game handholds you through poorly designed linear plot areas, makes the magic system a brainless chore, throws constant minigames at you that serve no purpose, and ultimately just wastes your time. Three discs of pain, and nothing more.

This game, most notably, has some of the most obscenely terrible quality control, as there was a debug enemy in a plot-relevant point of the game in the NTSC-J region.

I only wish there could be -1.
  5. Jan 24, 2016
    I don't normally complain about the graphics in a game, especially one this old, but the art in this game has such low resolution that there were times when I couldn't tell what was going on. I didn't know where the floor ended and the walls began, so I spent an inordinate amount of time on every section. It was horrible. The characters were sort of interesting, but the turn-based combatI don't normally complain about the graphics in a game, especially one this old, but the art in this game has such low resolution that there were times when I couldn't tell what was going on. I didn't know where the floor ended and the walls began, so I spent an inordinate amount of time on every section. It was horrible. The characters were sort of interesting, but the turn-based combat is dull and there are lengthy walls of text explaining the overly complicated combat system. This game hasn't aged well at all, and I have a feeling that I wouldn't have liked it much even if I'd played it when it first came out. Expand
  6. ChrisP.
    Nov 11, 2005
    From what many people say, "The Best Game Ever". Unfortunately, I can't disagree more. What we are presented with here, is a game with a mediocre at best storyline. They tried to infuse it with so much psychological meaning, that they ruined it. The music is good, for the most part. Unfortunately, most people only remember the song, "One Winged Angel". There are many other songs in From what many people say, "The Best Game Ever". Unfortunately, I can't disagree more. What we are presented with here, is a game with a mediocre at best storyline. They tried to infuse it with so much psychological meaning, that they ruined it. The music is good, for the most part. Unfortunately, most people only remember the song, "One Winged Angel". There are many other songs in this game, most of which being subpar when compared to previous Final Fantasy soundtracks. All in all, it is a shame that this is how the Final Fantasy series was immortalized when much of the groundwork of this game was started in Final Fantasy VI. But hey, who wants to hear that? Expand
  7. MaxW.
    Aug 13, 2005
    A horribly overrated game. No voice whatsoever, the whole game is mute. Bad storyline and poor selection of characters. A bad RPG if it even is one.
  8. BenL.
    Mar 10, 2006
    Indeed, I can't agree with Chris P. any more. People call this "the best game ever", and I honestly cannot see why. Alright, I'll hand it to you, it has good music, okay graphics (the regular animation was pretty icky, but the fmv's were pretty nice for the time), and a mediocre badguy. But, the plot was weak in many place, and the character development was terrible. Cloud Indeed, I can't agree with Chris P. any more. People call this "the best game ever", and I honestly cannot see why. Alright, I'll hand it to you, it has good music, okay graphics (the regular animation was pretty icky, but the fmv's were pretty nice for the time), and a mediocre badguy. But, the plot was weak in many place, and the character development was terrible. Cloud has the personality of a rock, and when it comes to RPG's a game may be better looking then the rest, but if its story clunks, then it will never pass for me. Expand
  9. MarkB.
    Aug 9, 2007
    Final Fantasy 7 is probably the worst Final Fantasy in the entire series. I don't understand the cult following that It has. The music is bad, the gameplay is just abismal, the graphics look like crap, there is no character development and the story line is just retarded. Every time I play it I have to force myself just to finish the first disc, after that i fell like I want to drill Final Fantasy 7 is probably the worst Final Fantasy in the entire series. I don't understand the cult following that It has. The music is bad, the gameplay is just abismal, the graphics look like crap, there is no character development and the story line is just retarded. Every time I play it I have to force myself just to finish the first disc, after that i fell like I want to drill a hole in my head. If I could, I would go back in time and stop this game from ever being made. Expand
  10. JesseR.
    Sep 23, 2008
    The most overrated game ever. Lots of ADD-afflicted kids worship this game and refuse to try anything 2-D. This is sad.
  11. HannahL.
    Jan 14, 2006
    This game is boring. Graphics are horrible, and they could've done better. I wouldn't be so angry if that was the best they can do, but I saw other ps1 games that have WAY better graphics than this. Cloud has like horse hands. And it's always so dark. And, it's SUPER boring. It's impossible to finish this game.
  12. JohhnyD.
    Dec 25, 2007
    Waste of time, poor graphics poor gameplay.

#1 Most Discussed PS1 Game of 1997
#2 Most Shared PS1 Game of 1997

1. GMR Magazine
    Brought RPGs into the Western spotlight and contained the most debated plot twist of an era. [Feb 2003, p.97]
  2. You can play the game time and time again. Always finding something new, from a new piece of materia to a new place, to defeating the ultimate weapons. The story twists and turns all the time always keeping you guessing as to what will happen next.
  3. Without a doubt, FF7 is one of the top Final Fantasy games out there. It is also one of the best RPG adventures of all time.