Final Fantasy VIII PlayStation

8.6

Jun 17, 2006
    This was a pretty good game. It just didn't get me hooked on as much as FFVII did. I know it's kind of hard on this game since it's the first to come out after FFVII which is believed one of the best RPG's despite the graphics now. I mean... it has to live up to its name. The thing that really annoyed me was that it took ages to get magic out of monsters and you This was a pretty good game. It just didn't get me hooked on as much as FFVII did. I know it's kind of hard on this game since it's the first to come out after FFVII which is believed one of the best RPG's despite the graphics now. I mean... it has to live up to its name. The thing that really annoyed me was that it took ages to get magic out of monsters and you can't equip your people. Well junction is ok..... but i mean all the time wasted in drawing magic just pisses me off. This game is quite good though i would recommend it to people that are into RPG's. Expand
  2. Dec 25, 2013
    So many problems in this game. Drawing system and junction system are so much busy work. Annoying and awkward characters. Story is unfocused, bizarre and full of plot holes. The game includes some satisfying scenes and battles.
  3. Dec 29, 2012
    My opinion is split over this game. On one hand, we have a decent story, amazing graphics/soundtrack, and interesting concept. On the other hand, we have rather limited development for most characters, an unorthodox but definitely unenjoyable battle system, and an overdose of melodrama.
  4. Jul 17, 2012
    I can't give this game any higher than a 6....I can't stand all the plot holes, or ANY of the characters for that matter...Zell is an annoying ADHD punk, Squall is so out of touch with his emotions he can't even pick up signals, and they all use first grade comebacks for everything. Aside from that, the plot up to disc 1 was pretty great, then it got really messed up. I enjoy all theI can't give this game any higher than a 6....I can't stand all the plot holes, or ANY of the characters for that matter...Zell is an annoying ADHD punk, Squall is so out of touch with his emotions he can't even pick up signals, and they all use first grade comebacks for everything. Aside from that, the plot up to disc 1 was pretty great, then it got really messed up. I enjoy all the theories about Rinoa being Ultimecia and Squall being dead throughout the game, but the game itself has many flaws. The Draw/Junction system is the most ANNOYING b u l l s h i t way of powering up characters in any RPG I've ever played. You sit there and draw spells to "junction" to your character, and then you cant use them so what's the point of having a cast button?? Oh and don't even get me started on the lame plot twists such as the orphanage scene...they all conveniently "forgot" because of their GFs. Yeah right. The graphics however are very top notch for the PS1, but in that comes very cryptic backgrounds the game requires you to check before being allowed to move foreward. some of it is so cryptic you'd never even know what to do without looking it up.... The fiend animations are again amazing and the battles themselves are well done. The overworld is VERY annoying due to terrain issues, but then again after you gain access to the Ragnarok it becomes quite fun to fly around. Overall, this game has turned out to be a meh experience for me. 6/10. Expand
  5. JasonB.
    Mar 2, 2003
    This game is okay but it doesnt have the aura of past final fantasy games, i mean i like the battle system with the draw command and stocking magic but it was a queit diffrent step from final fantasy 7, a step i think that shouldnt have been taken.
  6. Aug 25, 2014
    I will admit that 7 was a tough act to follow, but even on its own merits, 8 falls flat. Its gameplay mechanics are interesting in concept, but require so much micromanagement that it grinds the pace of the game to a grinding halt. Drawing magic is a chore, the characters are really underwhelming, and the story is just confusing. It's the only game in the series I really dislike- heck,I will admit that 7 was a tough act to follow, but even on its own merits, 8 falls flat. Its gameplay mechanics are interesting in concept, but require so much micromanagement that it grinds the pace of the game to a grinding halt. Drawing magic is a chore, the characters are really underwhelming, and the story is just confusing. It's the only game in the series I really dislike- heck, with all the issues of 13 I still thought its battle system was interesting- and I recommend you skip this one. Expand
  7. WillT
    Jan 10, 2010
    This game's probelm isn't it's looks, it's not that the games boring it's just that all the junction and card game is terrible, if you don't like grinding, then stay away from this, worth a spin-off at least, but not lower than 70%
  8. Oct 25, 2013
    It's a decent Final Fantasy game but can't get nowhere as good as FF VI, VII and IX.
    ITs preatty nice grapics but I just hated the main char that was trying to be dark and edgy through the whole game until *spoiler* his love was on the merge of death. Final Fantasy has always been known for it's MAgic and summoning feature but in this game MAgic is somewhat removed dued to the fact you raise your stats with magic and steal em stockwise from mobs instead of earning or finding em while using MP while consumed. So you end up grinding Magic from mobs and use it for stat boost then just auto attack and use limit breaks until the mobs are dead. Somewhat you throw in a GF (Summon) once in a while and you have to watch as always a nice cutscene, but it get's kinda annoying to mash the square button to get some extra *boost* dmg.
    Anyway the music is great, the song eyes on me is just breathtaking imo. It's a casual game for casual players so to say, wasy to level easy to finish. Decent story with nice music. If you can play it sure do. But don't waste too much energy on it.
  9. Jan 9, 2014
    Im sorry
    i really tried to like this game
    but i cant. its too bored,too repetitive the gameplay is slower than final fantasy vii the graphics and the soundtrack are amazing!!!! but the plot is too simple to me,i mean students who tried to save world of a future witch? the dialogs are bored and corny like Titanic or Twilight the characters are not deep and impressive than Final
    Im sorry
    i really tried to like this game
    but i cant. its too bored,too repetitive
    the gameplay is slower than final fantasy vii
    the graphics and the soundtrack are amazing!!!!
    but the plot is too simple to me,i mean
    students who tried to save world of a future witch?
    the dialogs are bored and corny like Titanic or Twilight
    the characters are not deep
    and impressive than Final Fantasy VII (I hate Zell and Quistis)
    they are too simple and cliche
    but i have to admit that its a masterpiece and i undesrstand why people like it
    so,
    Go ahead And Enjoy this jewel man!!
  10. DragonKnightofFinalFantasy
    Feb 15, 2004
    A mockery of Final Fantasy but not bad the battle system is pretty crummy though and none of the girls are hot I mean look at Questis she is 18 but looks like she's 30!But the story is good and it is Final Fantasy so you still feel like you're having a pretty good time. Go buy FF7 instead.
  11. Jan 15, 2014
    It does not compare well at all to the Squaresoft masterpieces of its era, but in the end, it's still a decent game.

If you absolutely must complete every game in the series, you'll find that there are far worse hurdles to overcome than Final Fantasy VIII (like XIII, for instance), but don't expect its quality of design and storytelling to live up to some of the others. The plot is

The plot is convoluted and a bit too convenient at times, and nearly all of the characters are tiresome cliches. The game really throws you for a loop when you suddenly take control of a completely different cast with no context whatsoever, but I came to care about Laguna's plight far more than I ever did about Squall's, which I think says a lot.
  12. Mar 11, 2013
    I loved the story and (most of) the characters, but at times, I hated this game. Final Fantasy VIII has a nice (albeit nonsensical) story, with a cast of characters led by one who mopes so hard he gives Shinji Ikari a run for his money. Boasts impressive use of the technology at the time with beautiful music (as ever), but game mechanics are unfortunately broken (eg. not obtained A or B?I loved the story and (most of) the characters, but at times, I hated this game. Final Fantasy VIII has a nice (albeit nonsensical) story, with a cast of characters led by one who mopes so hard he gives Shinji Ikari a run for his money. Boasts impressive use of the technology at the time with beautiful music (as ever), but game mechanics are unfortunately broken (eg. not obtained A or B? Can not pass C), suffers from "how the hell was I supposed to know that?" syndrome and the junction and GF systems are poorly explained and unnecessarily confusing to begin with. Expand
  13. Jan 7, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Okay. I have not played all the games in the final fantasy series, most notably not FFVII, a game which many seem to compare VIII to (obviously). But when I read some of the reviews here on metacritic I thought that I could give my opinion. The story starts of great. You have a intresting story of schools that train these young adults to become some sort of soldiers or mercenaries, and everything is very well presented with nice looking cutscenes and nice in-game environments. And the music is, as expected from a FF-game, absolutely fantastic throughout the game.
    But after a while (after disc 1) the story starts to decline. The red thread is lost somewhere and at the end of the game you barely who the final boss is or even what is going on. I wasn´t really intrested in the end.
    The characters didn´t really apeal to me. I mostly found them to be annoying, but thats maybe just me.
    And while the combat and gameplay mechanics are unique, they are quite clumsy and pretty much disencourage you from using magic since it will make your characters base stats weaker. One mayor problem in my opinion is the fact that it is so easy to abuse the limits.
    A positive thing though is the minigames and side quests you can take part in, especially the card game. You feel really encouraged to collect all the cards and win over the best card players, something which FFIX failed with for me.
    My verdic would be that it´s an okay final fantasy game with obious flaws and I wouldn´t recommend it to someone who hasn´t played any other FF-games. But if you are hungry for more JRPGs from this era you could play this and might enjoy it.
  14. Feb 1, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. For all the bad rep this game sometimes gets, it is still a good game. The junction system is solid, although breaks the game when the player realizes just to draw 99 stacks of every spell which results in every employed character becoming overpowered as fudge. The limit breaks in this one are still gold although the way they are obtained was a bit of step back from VII; whereas VII made you complete a huge battle arena with difficult monsters and penalties, in VIII the limit breaks are far easier to obtain. The game still has the other ingredients; open world exploration, hidden islands, epic plot, epic score etc. Some may think that 7/10 is far too low for this game, but that's only because game reviews seem only to deal in absolutes nowadays. 7/10 is a good score, a good score for a good game. And that's what VIII is: small minor steps back from VII but hardly anything that would make it a bad game. VIII is a good game. Expand
  15. May 21, 2015
  16. Oct 23, 2016
    I like the fact that Final Fantasy tries to do something a little different each edition, this time is the Draw system. Essentially you "Draw" new abilities from enemies, basically the steal system from thief characters. It's interesting basing an entire game around that mechanic, but it almost hinders my enjoyment of the game. Thats not to say FF8 isn't a great game, it certainly is, butI like the fact that Final Fantasy tries to do something a little different each edition, this time is the Draw system. Essentially you "Draw" new abilities from enemies, basically the steal system from thief characters. It's interesting basing an entire game around that mechanic, but it almost hinders my enjoyment of the game. Thats not to say FF8 isn't a great game, it certainly is, but I wasn't a fan of having to steal abilities when in combat to stockpile skills (especially boss fights) when I should be beating enemies. Overall a good game. Expand

#1 Most Discussed PS1 Game of 1999
#3 Most Shared PS1 Game of 1999

1. GMR Magazine
    Things were more "real" this time around. [Feb 2003, p.97]
  2. Unfortunately while the game is graphically superior to FFVII, in terms of setting, story and controls it lags way behind.
  3. Spanning four discs, this is a massive RPG. You can try and skate through it in 50 hours but can easily spend over a 100 hours playing if you decide to take on all of the side games, collect all of the Cards and experience all there is to experience from this game.