8.8

1. Jun 21, 2011
    Guardian Forces are easy to exploit but other than that, this game is the closest thing to perfection unleashed on mankind. Gameplay is fun, graphics are playable (even today), story is great and the game has the deepest, most beautiful cast of characters ever created in the world of video games. If you like RPGs, you will fall in love with FFVIII.
  2. Jun 13, 2011
    This game knows how to suck you in. The Junction System may seem weird first but offers many possibilities for different combinations. The Story, altough getting a little stuck in the end, is pretty epic. It focuses on the main chara like no other RPG, probably also a reason why the other characters come a bit short. The Soundtrack is great, the battle system very smooth. Superb Game.
  3. Jan 25, 2012
    Masterpiece.
    That's the perfect word to describe this game.
    Well, there's another word to describe it: Perfection
    That's all.
    Everybody must enjoy this perfect masterpiece.
  4. May 6, 2012
    People always rate games as "best game ever" which is impossible to do, but this game is so close to that statement it is kind of scary. It has a touch of everything that a fantasy game requires, addictive combat, mini games, strong and gripping story line. If there is one problem I can point out is the fact that square enix didn't bring out a HD remastered version of the game. It is onePeople always rate games as "best game ever" which is impossible to do, but this game is so close to that statement it is kind of scary. It has a touch of everything that a fantasy game requires, addictive combat, mini games, strong and gripping story line. If there is one problem I can point out is the fact that square enix didn't bring out a HD remastered version of the game. It is one of those games that you cannot get tired of and the more you play it the more you want to play it, regardless of how retro the game is Expand
  5. Dec 4, 2010
    I adore the storyline, and the graphics were a huge improvement over FF7. Honestly, FF7 gets overrated so often that FF8 falls in its shadow. It's very unfortunate. The battle system is great, but the music can get repetitive at times. My major complaint about FF8, however, is the junction system. Parts of it are good, such as the idea of having the GFs (summons) give you differentI adore the storyline, and the graphics were a huge improvement over FF7. Honestly, FF7 gets overrated so often that FF8 falls in its shadow. It's very unfortunate. The battle system is great, but the music can get repetitive at times. My major complaint about FF8, however, is the junction system. Parts of it are good, such as the idea of having the GFs (summons) give you different abilities. What I don't like about it is how you get magic abilities by drawing it from enemies to a max of 100. It can take a very long time to get the magic you want or need. That's not the worst of it: you can change your stats by equipping your magic to each stat. This makes things overly complicated, and makes it so that using magic WEAKENS YOU. It annoys me heavily because I'm usually a pretty heavy magic user. Even more annoying than that is that the last 3 bosses in the game have the ability to deplete one magic spell to 0, which absolutely cripples you. Of course, I also like it in a way because it gives some added difficulty to the last boss even if you're level 100. Which brings me to my favorite part of the game: the enemies scale to your level for once! They really need to do that with more final fantasy games. Collapse
  6. Jan 19, 2011
    My favorite RPG of the PSX era and probably of all time. This game is so deep in every single level. Story, Gameplay and Graphics. Even the mini game inside the game was incredibly fun.
  7. Feb 4, 2011
    This game good i love the junction its the best, people who say its **** then go play different game this game was may long ago its not new and why play it if you only care about hot girls and the combat is not **** if you think its **** then your noob go play different game that good for you.
  8. Feb 28, 2011
    Favorite FF game so far. The characters are much more developed than in VII and the junction system is actually something I'd consider a good feature.
  9. Jun 9, 2011
    A game with a personality; it's dialogue wasn't as banal as previous efforts within the Final Fantasy series (though that may have been the fault of translation), and the battle system while obviously not for everyone had considerable depth, the joy of customization within how you wanted to play the game was definitely a plus. It possesses a soul that Square-Enix's games nowadays sorelyA game with a personality; it's dialogue wasn't as banal as previous efforts within the Final Fantasy series (though that may have been the fault of translation), and the battle system while obviously not for everyone had considerable depth, the joy of customization within how you wanted to play the game was definitely a plus. It possesses a soul that Square-Enix's games nowadays sorely lack... The characters within the game added an extra dimension to the bland dialogue and mistranslations Final Fantasy 7 were rife with, locations in the game were well designed and while the plot may not be for everyone, it definitely was an attempt to reach heights 7 couldn't. Like every other game in the final fantasy series the music is excellent and involving, with the climax of the plotline setting the standard for future Final Fantasys Expand
  10. Aug 15, 2011
    A simple masterpiece to the fullest extent.
    Everything in is game is carefully crafted and so much care is taken to make a connection with these characters and their epic struggle to save the world.
    Easily my favorite game and would highly recommend this to fans of Final Fantasy 7!
  11. Oct 16, 2011
    Haters gonna hate, this is the best FF, if VII is your favorite dont mean nothing, VIII has the best story, characters, music, everything is perfect here, if you think VII's better, go play it, but don't come here to say something stupid like that.
  12. Nov 26, 2011
    Even though I have not other wise quite liked RPG games, I enjoyed this game a lot. It has a good mix of humor and seriousness, the combat system works well though GF attacks have too long animation. This game is LONG, taking over 50 hours just to get to the middle of the game, if you haven't played the game before. There are few stupid things, which should have been skipped from the game,Even though I have not other wise quite liked RPG games, I enjoyed this game a lot. It has a good mix of humor and seriousness, the combat system works well though GF attacks have too long animation. This game is LONG, taking over 50 hours just to get to the middle of the game, if you haven't played the game before. There are few stupid things, which should have been skipped from the game, but the game is still a must buy to anyone, who still has PS1. Expand
  13. Feb 18, 2012
    This game is definitly one of the best, love the junctions and it has more summons than all of the others which is cool. It has better gameplay than IX however i loved IX story the best of any FF game. the gameplay of VIII isnt as good as VII but it is a better story which wins me over. Now that VII has crisis core and all the other VII's it makes it almost equal, but not quite!
  14. May 6, 2012
    This is my favorite Final Fantasy game on the PS1 and is far more accomplished than Final Fantasy VII. The story and characters are fantastic, The soundtrack is one of the best I have heard in a Final Fantasy game, the battle system feels far more advanced (in a good way) than Final Fantasy VII the Junction system is a bit complicated but in my opinion it is one of the best systems becauseThis is my favorite Final Fantasy game on the PS1 and is far more accomplished than Final Fantasy VII. The story and characters are fantastic, The soundtrack is one of the best I have heard in a Final Fantasy game, the battle system feels far more advanced (in a good way) than Final Fantasy VII the Junction system is a bit complicated but in my opinion it is one of the best systems because the character customization options offered by the Junction system are huge. The ability system feels very similar to Final Fantasy VI seeing that you have to equip the Summons to get the abilities. however the game is by no means flawless even though it's much better than FF7 it does have a couple of issues: Stocking magic spells can be a big chore, the SeeD rank system should have been removed because it get's a bit erratic at times seeing that your SeeD rank randomly increases and decreases so your better off selling items you don't need because you get alot more money doing that, there are a couple of other small niggles but it's not enough to ruin the game. Even though it's not perfect it is still an awesome and memorable RPG experience that you shouldn't miss out on. Expand
  15. May 11, 2012
    This game is very good. people say that the combat system is complicated and the storyline is confusing.. its not, you need to get into the game instead of just turning it on and doing a review. I have beaten this game mutliple times and it it very good.
  16. Dec 16, 2012
    One of the greatest game series to come out of Japan, an epic masterpiece that will entertain you from beginning to end. Its one of the big 3 Final Fantasy games that came out in quick succession, with VIII, and IX, during the series glory years.
  17. May 24, 2013
    while some may not understand this game, for me it is a breath of fresh air. The story is engaging and heartfelt, the stakes are high and for it's time it was quite the milestone in terms of graphics.

The environments are beautiful and the score I believe is Nobuo Uematsu's finest work to date. The pacing is just right and the characters are individuals that you can really invest in. The villain is a real menace and the underlying story is rich in philosophical content. A bit more time, care and thought could have been put into explaining the junction system but once you really understand it's power and complexity you will be rewarded with a fun and deep character evolution system.

One of the things I loved about this game is that the summonings [or Guardian Forces as they are called in this game] tie into the story and are not just some random gimmick thrown into the game. Also there is real character development: Squall and his friends really grow up through the course of the game. This game also boasts, what is in my opinion, the best mini game of the series: Triple Triads.

The replay value is high and it comes as no surprise that this is my favourite entry in Square's [Square-Enix] flagship series.
  18. Jan 15, 2014
    The best Final Fantasy game ever made, bar non.
    Final Fantasy 8 is the best game in the series and it has the best character depth, the true emotions used throughout the game made it an experience I have never forgotten about since I was a kid.
    Squall, for me, Has to be the best character throughout any Final Fantasy game too. The combat system was the best used and this game had the
    The best Final Fantasy game ever made, bar non.
    The combat system was the best used and this game had the best guardian forces too, the game dosent hold your hand in any way and back on the PS1 days people had to have an imagination not a baby step guide to play games. I miss the SquareSoft games because SquareEnix just can't make a good Final Fantasy game. I praise the recent Hitman but Final Fantasy they really are killing. The best games of Final Fantasy go, FF8>10>7>9. 7 is not the best in the series!
  19. Dec 30, 2010
    this is the RPG that proves if you got a great story and solid charicters it can still be a damn good RPG despite some glaring flaws. biggest problem with this game is the combat and junction system and the draw system which all suck hard . you would almost think that would break this game but its story and charicters are very well done and keot me very intrested and allowed me to plowthis is the RPG that proves if you got a great story and solid charicters it can still be a damn good RPG despite some glaring flaws. biggest problem with this game is the combat and junction system and the draw system which all suck hard . you would almost think that would break this game but its story and charicters are very well done and keot me very intrested and allowed me to plow through that crap . the final boss battle is much better done then FF7's which now feels abit more like a challange . the ending was also pretty good. a worthy RPG that will warrent your time as long as you are a story driven RPG gamer. Expand
  20. May 16, 2011
    FF VIII isn't the best of the series -- especially when it's compared to VII. However, it still offers up some impressive visuals and great new features. Pros: An unbelievable amount of depth in its graphics, story, setting, characters, and gameplay that's ahead of its time. Cons: Battles occur too frequently; the Battle system itself truly blows.
  21. May 20, 2011
    It's not the best the series has offered -- especially when it's compared to FF VII. But overall, it's still a fantastic RPG that a lot of FF fans shouldn't have missed. Pros: Breathtaking graphics and FMVs; a lot of depth in terms of story, setting, and turn-based battling; likable characters; lots of humor. Cons: When you compare it to FF VII, the story and setting do not offer anythingIt's not the best the series has offered -- especially when it's compared to FF VII. But overall, it's still a fantastic RPG that a lot of FF fans shouldn't have missed. Pros: Breathtaking graphics and FMVs; a lot of depth in terms of story, setting, and turn-based battling; likable characters; lots of humor. Cons: When you compare it to FF VII, the story and setting do not offer anything new or innovative; too many random battles; dull battle system; use of Magic; annoying card game. Expand
  22. Feb 27, 2012
    I grew up with FF8. This was the game that would spark my love of gaming. Of course you probably imagine that you can't trust my review since I'll be blinded by nostalgia. However, I played this game once again recently and while it was still a fantastic experience i can now see that the game definitely stumbles on occasion. For the first two discs the story is thrilling and effectivelyI grew up with FF8. This was the game that would spark my love of gaming. Of course you probably imagine that you can't trust my review since I'll be blinded by nostalgia. However, I played this game once again recently and while it was still a fantastic experience i can now see that the game definitely stumbles on occasion. For the first two discs the story is thrilling and effectively told. After this, it becomes messy, confusing and more than a bit ridiculous (you know I'm talking about the orphanage twist). Every character except Squall and Laguna are dull and don't develop in any meaningful way. The world feels strangely small and doesn't have the personality of FF7 or FF9. Still, the combat system is excellent and deep, the story is engaging for the most part, the animation is superb for its time and the mini games are addictive. Despite my grievances, FF8 is a worthy entry in the venerable series and I look forward to playing it again. Expand
  23. Mar 20, 2012
    A surprising RPG with impresive and beautiful images, precious musical and interesting history. The best intro of all Final Fantasy. But... the combat system is bad and bored and the history has holes. Ok, FFVII is perfect, FFVIII not, the Squall´s game has several faults, but it can be called Final Fantasy.
  24. May 29, 2012
    Best JRPG of all times. Is a little bit better than Final Fantasy VII, which gives it the extra score up to 10 in my opinion. The artistic design is more adult and detailed, the history is more adult too. All game localizations are much more diverse between them and make you wish to explore them. The battle mechanic is improved, using magic as an item and the Guardian Force collecting andBest JRPG of all times. Is a little bit better than Final Fantasy VII, which gives it the extra score up to 10 in my opinion. The artistic design is more adult and detailed, the history is more adult too. All game localizations are much more diverse between them and make you wish to explore them. The battle mechanic is improved, using magic as an item and the Guardian Force collecting and summoning. The game is also full of secrets for the player to discover and use in its benefit in later battles. The soundtrack is amazing and helps very well at setting the right gaming ambient. Expand
  25. May 27, 2012
    My second favorite final fantasy game next to final fantasy 9! This game just kept having crazy twists one after another! Very underated game! One of the best games ever!
  26. Dec 29, 2012
    My opinion is split over this game. On one hand, we have a decent story, amazing graphics/soundtrack, and interesting concept. On the other hand, we have rather limited development for most characters, an unorthodox but definitely unenjoyable battle system, and an overdose of melodrama.
  27. Dec 30, 2012
    Amazing game, full of original ideas for its time, epic story line with loads of side quests and hidden bosses. Would love a graphically updated re-release :)
  28. Feb 28, 2013
    The magic drawing, altough i like the "traditional" way more, is an interesting feature along with the junction system. The story is not like FF VII but focuses more on the main character and shows him changing his own for better, which is shown great. FF VIII has also nice graphics and superb FMV´s and also a wonderful soundtrack. Top game.
  29. Mar 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. My favorite FF ever. I have played every FF from VI to XIII. This is my favorite out of all of them. Their is everything in this game. A great battle system once you master it. A deep emotional story with great characters and development and a fantastic musical score. Squall and Rinoa's love story only heightens this games already amazing resume. This game doesn't deserve the hate it gets. The junction system is a very unique and fantastic way to customize all your characters to your liking. Squall may be somewhat unlikable in the beginning but that is on purpose. He develops dramatically as a character throughout the game. The only reason this game divides the fanbase is because it was the game after the so called perfect FFVII. Final Fantasy VII is great but VIII tops it in almost every aspect. I highly reccommend you buy this game on PSN and play it if you love FF and JRPGS or just looking for a great game. Expand
  30. Apr 9, 2013
    This is the Final Fantasy of my hearth.
    Maybe because I was the perfect age when I played it (13), but I never got so emotionally attached to a videogame like I did with this one.
    This is the Final Fantasy of my hearth.
    Today the graphics are outdated, but at the time they looked marvelous. Music was superb, so were the cutscenes. I even loved the Junction system that many people disliked. Above all, there was the story and the characters.
    To me, it's the best videogame I've ever played.
  31. Jul 16, 2013
    This is my favorite video game of all time. The game pulled me in more than any game since, and I have so many fond memories of playing it.

I've gone back and finished it at least 5 times, and the story never gets old. I honestly never understood how people would claim VII as being the best Final Fantasy of all time, the story and gameplay of VIII took everything that was good in VII

I've gone back and finished it at least 5 times, and the story never gets old.

I honestly never understood how people would claim VII as being the best Final Fantasy of all time, the story and gameplay of VIII took everything that was good in VII and made it better.
  32. Sep 6, 2013
    Perhaps the perfect mix between tradition and innovation, Final Fantasy VIII adds some interesting touches to a very well established formula (eliminating mana is a plus; the gauntlet system doesn't get actually useful until halfway through the adventure). But most of all, it creates a wonderful and complex world where the player is caught in a series of epic storylines. At one point youPerhaps the perfect mix between tradition and innovation, Final Fantasy VIII adds some interesting touches to a very well established formula (eliminating mana is a plus; the gauntlet system doesn't get actually useful until halfway through the adventure). But most of all, it creates a wonderful and complex world where the player is caught in a series of epic storylines. At one point you will find out that one story has little in common with the other, and the more you progress the more it becomes surreal, but this doesn't subtract from the gameplay quality. Visually, it's nothing short of impressive; and it has the most entertaining minigame of all time, a card game which never fails to be frustrating in the most entertaining way. Expand
  33. Sep 10, 2013
    This is my favourite RPG of all time.
    Its crazy that this game which was released in 1999 has storyline that lasts about 60 hours! I have played this game for more than 140 hours and I'm still loving every second. These days you are lucky to get more than 20 hours from a single player game.
    Great story, characters, gameplay, experience, atmosphere and world!
  34. Nov 18, 2013
    I make it a POINT to play this game at least once a year. This game never gets boring and I get sucked into the storyline just as much as I did the first time I played in 99. This is a must play game. Play this and you will realize why I HATE FFXIII
  35. Dec 14, 2013
    My brothers love this game but more importantly, i do. This game is a master piece just like one of the other favorable best games out on the market these days. So far i only played it on PS2 and will be again on PC via steampowered. I can spend alot of time in the game just leveling up my characters and their abilities. I also love IX and X. 10/10 Excellent work with this 1, square EA
  36. Jan 2, 2014
    I fell in love Final Fantasy VIII. Well done literally EVERYTHING. The combat system, story, music, bosses, graphics-in this game, everything is perfect. I look at it from the FF series fan. I know that I'm not entirely objective but this game has that something. As for me, the best RPG for PC and PSX.
  37. Jan 27, 2014
    Simply the best Final Fantasy game ever made, and maybe my favourite game of all time

So much depth to it, i played FF7 before it but that never ever hooked me the way 8 did back in 1999

Love the characters aswell, Squall is easily one of the coolest chars in any game and how can you not like Rinoa?
  38. Mar 19, 2014
    Simply put: One of the best games ever created. This truly defined my gaming experience not only as a child, but also an adult. From Junctioning to Drawing, to its excellent combat, this game truly innovated the gaming industry. Both this game and Final Fantasy 7 will be my favorites in the series.
  39. Mar 24, 2014
    Squall isn't a likeable protagonist at all, the magic system is super boring (drawing/casting is easily the worst magic system ever created), the cast is a mixed bag. The music, atmosphere, mini games, & satisfaction (if you do the cards into items/no level up strategy) more than make up for it though. Honestly it's my favourite PSX Final Fantasy.
  40. Mar 29, 2014
    14 years after, I find myself always thinking back to this game and ff7...
    These were absolutely my 2 top games of all time!
    Im so nostalgic when I think about this game. Everything was well done! 1- Music was the best I've ever heard 2- Story was perfect, serious and mature, yet fantasy without exhagerations 3- Characters were DEEP and not funny emo looking or girly 4-
    14 years after, I find myself always thinking back to this game and ff7...
    These were absolutely my 2 top games of all time!

Im so nostalgic when I think about this game.
    Everything was well done!

1- Music was the best I've ever heard

2- Story was perfect, serious and mature, yet fantasy without exhagerations

3- Characters were DEEP and not funny emo looking or girly

4- The Love story was touching

5- The Art style was very very attractive

6- It was made for people with a brain, intelligence is needed to play

Sorry the game is really magical, I don't know how to put into words what I've played 14 years ago its just too much for me to describe on the spot
  41. Jul 14, 2014
    There is a game theory that the first Final Fantasy you play is the one that you will consider your favorite one of the entire series - I for one believe this. VIII was the first one I played and the one that made me try all of the others and, for me, none of the others come close to the joy and emotion that you get from this game.
    I understand why many people do not like the Junction
    I understand why many people do not like the Junction system that this game uses but I find it great to use and fun to change everything about to ensure that you've got the best stats. I also hear people complain a lot about having to draw magic constantly from enemies so that when you do Junction spells you have enough to make a significant difference to each character, but this is not the case. Your summons (known as Guardian Forces in this game) will learn abilities that they will use to change their stats, change the characters stats that a GF is Junctioned to, abilities to use on the field, abilities to use in battle and abilities that you can use to refine items into magic/magic into stronger magic/improve items/refine cards into items etc. You will pick up hundreds of items over your journey that you can use to refine into magic spells - so there is no need to draw magic for hours and almost all magic can be refined from items in the game, Scan can't for example. Early game you will need to draw magic because you won't have the abilities/many items yet but you don't need to get 100 of each spell as you'll get them soon enough.
    The Triple Triad mini game is also a lot of fun and something to do if you're wanting a break from the story/action. It's a card game that you play against a computer opponent using cards you've obtained from enemies, given to you by NPCs, won in Triple Triad games or by turning your enemies into cards using the Card command which is an ability learned by one of the two starter GFs that you're given at the start of the game. I find that it is best to wait until you have a few decent Boss cards/GF cards as you will not win many games using the early level cards. The rules of the game are different depending on which region of the world you are playing in, which adds something extra to the games that you play - some areas of the game will have rules which make the game you're playing very easy and some will make the games very difficult. There are ways to change the rules if an area is too difficult or you simply do not like the rule, which there is information about online. There are lots of extra things that you can do that aren't required, which all give you different things - giving you the back stories, letting you challenge extra bosses, giving you GFs, the chance to ride Chocobo's, giving you extra cards and rare items.
    The story is really great too - it does get a little "weirder" after disc one but I feel that it doesn't take anything away from the game and some people think that there is no reason for this but there are some theories online explaining this, and using in-game evidence, which I happen to find really interesting and somewhat believable. The characters all have different personalities and most are memorable.
    The graphics are very good for the time, and the soundtrack is something which I still listen to today - and the opening FMV and song really get you excited for this game, and the song is one of my favorites in the entire soundtrack.
    Some of the GFs that are in the game can do ridiculous amount of damage and can be very useful to use during most battles, but all of them have a very long cinematic sequence which you must watch every single time that you use it in battle. It's nice to see the first few times, but it can get a bit boring if you like to use GFs over and over to do a lot of damage. For me, using the ability "Boost" does remove some of the boredom. This ability lets you increase the damage done by a GF by repeatedly pressing the square button at certain intervals of the sequence - I always enjoy trying to reach the limit of 250 when using each GF.
    Each party member you can use has their own "Limit Break" which is an attack that can be used to do a lot of damage to a single opponent/all opponents or to aid your party.. You cannot use them at all times, and can only use them when your character has low health or if you use the magic spell "Aura". I find it a lot of fun trying to unlock the different ones that can be used , by using certain items on Quistis, buying certain ammo types for Irvine, reading certain magazines for Zell/Rinoa or by making different Gunblades for Squall. Some of the limit breaks can be a lot of fun to execute as you need to manually do them yourself. The game play during battles could get tedious if you had no real input in yourself, other than just simply choosing commands so this helps. You can also time the R1 button when Squall is attacking to inflict more damage.
    I feel that this game is worth picking up for any FF/ RPG fan, and it will always be my favorite game of all time.
  42. Apr 28, 2013
    There is not much I can say about this review that The Spoony Experiment didn't cover, and there are big problems here...but the pros outweigh the cons and I really enjoy this Final Fantasy. It's not on par with classics like 4-6, 7, or 9...but it's a good game.
  43. dz9
    May 29, 2012
    From reading my reviews, I am a huge Final Fantasy Fanboy in general. FYI my least favorite final fantasies are 2, 8, and 13. This game is a little hard to review because I could imagine this game would've been ground breaking for its time. But looking at it objectively, I have to believe that it gets mixed in with the greatness which is 6,7,9, 10, that it fools people into thinking itFrom reading my reviews, I am a huge Final Fantasy Fanboy in general. FYI my least favorite final fantasies are 2, 8, and 13. This game is a little hard to review because I could imagine this game would've been ground breaking for its time. But looking at it objectively, I have to believe that it gets mixed in with the greatness which is 6,7,9, 10, that it fools people into thinking it is good. First, what does this game have going for it?? Well not much... it has an iconic hero in Squall and it had great graphics and presentation for a PS title. That's about it. In this title, Combat is repetitive and to maximize its capability you literally have to spend hours on nearly every random encounter due to the redundant "draw" system. Besides this, its the classical final fantasy gameplay for all its good and bad. The story, starts off pretty strong, but once you get past the first disc, the game appears to have a fetish for plot holes and plot progression that is just down right silly and dumb even for a JRPG title. Like I said, Squall is a very iconic character.. but besides him, not only are the other characters bland, with the exception of Seifer, they are all annoying and despicable. The style in which you equip weapons is no where to be found and the way you "junction," almost eliminates all desire to even use magic. Side content outside of synthesizing for better weapons is useless and doesn't even reward you for doing them. For one, there is no armor in the game and all the weapon upgrades are down by monsters dropping rare items, so the best you can hope for is a magazine which most likely doesn't even do anything. In the End: This game is a downright mess, some of the gameplay makes you want to like it for the nostalgia, but the plot makes no sense, all the characters are forgettable and unlikable (outside of Squall and Seifer), adventuring is pointless, and equipment is either no where to be found or is counter intuitive. Horrible game, but despite this, if you are a hardcore final fantasy fan, it is worth a quick play through, others might want to stay away completely. Expand
  44. Jul 17, 2012
    I can't give this game any higher than a 6....I can't stand all the plot holes, or ANY of the characters for that matter...Zell is an annoying ADHD punk, Squall is so out of touch with his emotions he can't even pick up signals, and they all use first grade comebacks for everything. Aside from that, the plot up to disc 1 was pretty great, then it got really messed up. I enjoy all theI can't give this game any higher than a 6....I can't stand all the plot holes, or ANY of the characters for that matter...Zell is an annoying ADHD punk, Squall is so out of touch with his emotions he can't even pick up signals, and they all use first grade comebacks for everything. Aside from that, the plot up to disc 1 was pretty great, then it got really messed up. I enjoy all the theories about Rinoa being Ultimecia and Squall being dead throughout the game, but the game itself has many flaws. The Draw/Junction system is the most ANNOYING b u l l s h i t way of powering up characters in any RPG I've ever played. You sit there and draw spells to "junction" to your character, and then you cant use them so what's the point of having a cast button?? Oh and don't even get me started on the lame plot twists such as the orphanage scene...they all conveniently "forgot" because of their GFs. Yeah right. The graphics however are very top notch for the PS1, but in that comes very cryptic backgrounds the game requires you to check before being allowed to move foreward. some of it is so cryptic you'd never even know what to do without looking it up.... The fiend animations are again amazing and the battles themselves are well done. The overworld is VERY annoying due to terrain issues, but then again after you gain access to the Ragnarok it becomes quite fun to fly around. Overall, this game has turned out to be a meh experience for me. 6/10. Expand
  45. Jul 15, 2012
    Final Fantasy VIII is a good game. One of the reasons that it is good is that it's a lot different from other Final Fantasy games. Final Fantasy VIII manages to include Science Fiction aspects as well as a great fantasy story that fans of the Final Fantasy series have come to love. The battle system is nothing special but the very unique story makes up for the flaws that this game has.
  46. Sep 2, 2012
    Not my favorite FF but not the worst either. This game is worth a play through if you are a fan of the series. Just be prepared to repeatedly sit through at least a 10 second cut scene every time you use a guardian force, which is definitely the most annoying aspect of the game and frankly the most annoying aspect of any good game that I know of. This is a large and somewhat challengingNot my favorite FF but not the worst either. This game is worth a play through if you are a fan of the series. Just be prepared to repeatedly sit through at least a 10 second cut scene every time you use a guardian force, which is definitely the most annoying aspect of the game and frankly the most annoying aspect of any good game that I know of. This is a large and somewhat challenging game, and the gardens are a cool concept just not my cup of tea for a FF game. Although annoying, for its time the cut scenes for the GFs look pretty cool but the character models aren't the prettiest to look at. I will admit though I think the Ragnarook is my favorite airship out of any FF games. Expand
  47. Nov 28, 2012
    Still bored, so here's a review on a game that's 13 years old. If you've read my review on FFVII, you'll know I made a Final Fantasy pilgramage and played all the games from the main series, so my impressions of the game are fresh in mind. First, when I first played FFVIII I couldn't finish it. I couldn't put my finger on it at the time, but the game just didn't draw me in. I didStill bored, so here's a review on a game that's 13 years old. If you've read my review on FFVII, you'll know I made a Final Fantasy pilgramage and played all the games from the main series, so my impressions of the game are fresh in mind. First, when I first played FFVIII I couldn't finish it. I couldn't put my finger on it at the time, but the game just didn't draw me in. I did eventually beat it in my teenage years, but even then I didn't feel the same emotions from this game as I did with VII and IX. The story is very well crafted, but the plot holes that are complained about are legitimate complaints. I can totally understand the criticism of the characters too, but I'm a little more forgiving as it was Square's first attempt at attempting to flesh out "real" people. The magic system is quite a nice feature as far as junctioning goes, but the drawing system is a real pain (and yes, I know you can refine cards and items into magic, but that is just substituting one busy task for another). Combat is standard fare. If you haven't played the PS1 Final Fantasy's and are interested I would recommend VII or IX over this one any day of the week. Despite that, this is a piece of Final Fantasy history, and should be judged on it's own merits. It's not a bad game, it's quite good in fact. It's just the first in what I would lable the "sub-par" Final Fantasy's. Expand
  48. Feb 14, 2013
    The story is pretty straight-forward. Unlike other FF games, there is no real good and/or evil. There are just two sides. It had many plotholes, sure, but it was entertaining... until disc 4... then the story really began to hurt my head. Anyway, get an emulator or a PS and give this game a shot, it's worth your time!
  49. Mar 11, 2013
    I loved the story and (most of) the characters, but at times, I hated this game. Final Fantasy VIII has a nice (albeit nonsensical) story, with a cast of characters led by one who mopes so hard he gives Shinji Ikari a run for his money. Boasts impressive use of the technology at the time with beautiful music (as ever), but game mechanics are unfortunately broken (eg. not obtained A or B?I loved the story and (most of) the characters, but at times, I hated this game. Final Fantasy VIII has a nice (albeit nonsensical) story, with a cast of characters led by one who mopes so hard he gives Shinji Ikari a run for his money. Boasts impressive use of the technology at the time with beautiful music (as ever), but game mechanics are unfortunately broken (eg. not obtained A or B? Can not pass C), suffers from "how the hell was I supposed to know that?" syndrome and the junction and GF systems are poorly explained and unnecessarily confusing to begin with. Expand
  50. Apr 25, 2013
    If the name of this game not be FF8. He can have better critics. Is a nice game and i really like it. The music, character, history... Is the best FF for me with the IX.
  51. Sep 14, 2013
    Initiated what I refer to as "the dark ages" of Final Fantasy. A veering off course from the elements that were central to Final Fantasy storylines and too much focus on graphics. Not nearly as bad as the ninth installment of the series, but a horrible first step to say the least.
  52. Oct 25, 2013
    It's a decent Final Fantasy game but can't get nowhere as good as FF VI, VII and IX.
    ITs preatty nice grapics but I just hated the main char that was trying to be dark and edgy through the whole game until *spoiler* his love was on the merge of death. Final Fantasy has always been known for it's MAgic and summoning feature but in this game MAgic is somewhat removed dued to the fact you raise your stats with magic and steal em stockwise from mobs instead of earning or finding em while using MP while consumed. So you end up grinding Magic from mobs and use it for stat boost then just auto attack and use limit breaks until the mobs are dead. Somewhat you throw in a GF (Summon) once in a while and you have to watch as always a nice cutscene, but it get's kinda annoying to mash the square button to get some extra *boost* dmg.
    Anyway the music is great, the song eyes on me is just breathtaking imo. It's a casual game for casual players so to say, wasy to level easy to finish. Decent story with nice music. If you can play it sure do. But don't waste too much energy on it.
  53. Oct 29, 2013
    Aside from the obvious attempts at character duplication, this game was entertaining enough to keep you going, the story is not the best out there, but it does the Final Fantasy legacy justice. The mini game involving cards is very addictive, unfortunately it eventually becomes tedious with rule changes in different regions until you no longer care for it. The game felt messy at times,Aside from the obvious attempts at character duplication, this game was entertaining enough to keep you going, the story is not the best out there, but it does the Final Fantasy legacy justice. The mini game involving cards is very addictive, unfortunately it eventually becomes tedious with rule changes in different regions until you no longer care for it. The game felt messy at times, direction-wise and the battle system is a little annoying in certain areas, but overall it does great, so this is one to definitely try out. Expand
  54. Dec 25, 2013
    So many problems in this game. Drawing system and junction system are so much busy work. Annoying and awkward characters. Story is unfocused, bizarre and full of plot holes. The game includes some satisfying scenes and battles.
  55. Dec 27, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Oh boy, This game... I remember back when I was young.
    When I was 3 my first game was FFVII and FFVIII, what Can I say about this childhood experience? Great! I love this game and everything about it. But, as a great game it does have some flaws.
    1. The Junction is very confusing, but at the mean time you'll get used to it.
    2) the Magic, since I played VII alot, this magic system and the draw system, is too easy, but hey that's my opinion.
    3)You need at least 1,000 exp to go to the next level, it's easy, but it's a pain if you need to level up the weak ones.
    4)once it's done it's done.

But other than that, This is Impressive, and a Amazing RPG game, the story line is beautiful, and added some romance into it. The game is long as hell and you'll be playing it for at least 100-200 hours to beat it. And the Graphics are amazing for a PS1.Defentely an Amazing game, but VII is 35% better than VIII.
  56. Jan 9, 2014
    Im sorry
    i really tried to like this game
    but i cant. its too bored,too repetitive the gameplay is slower than final fantasy vii the graphics and the soundtrack are amazing!!!! but the plot is too simple to me,i mean students who tried to save world of a future witch? the dialogs are bored and corny like Titanic or Twilight the characters are not deep and impressive than Final
    Im sorry
    i really tried to like this game
    but i cant. its too bored,too repetitive
    the gameplay is slower than final fantasy vii
    the graphics and the soundtrack are amazing!!!!
    but the plot is too simple to me,i mean
    students who tried to save world of a future witch?
    the dialogs are bored and corny like Titanic or Twilight
    the characters are not deep
    and impressive than Final Fantasy VII (I hate Zell and Quistis)
    they are too simple and cliche
    but i have to admit that its a masterpiece and i undesrstand why people like it
    so,
    Go ahead And Enjoy this jewel man!!
  57. Jan 15, 2014
    It does not compare well at all to the Squaresoft masterpieces of its era, but in the end, it's still a decent game.

If you absolutely must complete every game in the series, you'll find that there are far worse hurdles to overcome than Final Fantasy VIII (like XIII, for instance), but don't expect its quality of design and storytelling to live up to some of the others. The plot is

The plot is convoluted and a bit too convenient at times, and nearly all of the characters are tiresome cliches. The game really throws you for a loop when you suddenly take control of a completely different cast with no context whatsoever, but I came to care about Laguna's plight far more than I ever did about Squall's, which I think says a lot.
  58. Mar 16, 2014
    This game is just awful. Final Fantasy 7 may be a pretty bad game, but it's Ocarina of time compared to this one.Sucks that I hate this one more than FF13. Where 7 had potential and blew it, this one had no potential at all and is just a piece of crap.
  59. May 26, 2014
    not a perfect game i should admit...but i don´t know the story just capture me i simpy love the progression of squall( i identify with him a LOT) and just love the way Rinoa is...my favorite RPG of all times n_n
  60. Jul 19, 2014
    this game is a deception of the great name of Final Fantasy. First, the game is the most boring of all final fantasy, boring character, boring story who takes you forever to start. During the fighting, all you do is draw, draw draw draw draw to retrieve the magic enemies so there no more magic bar. improving the character system is one of the worst I've ever seen. I do not recommend thisthis game is a deception of the great name of Final Fantasy. First, the game is the most boring of all final fantasy, boring character, boring story who takes you forever to start. During the fighting, all you do is draw, draw draw draw draw to retrieve the magic enemies so there no more magic bar. improving the character system is one of the worst I've ever seen. I do not recommend this game to anyone, take FFVII instead which is much more fun with its system of materia. In short, Final Fantasy VII >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Final Fantasy VIII and you can even add an exponential. Expand
  61. Aug 11, 2014
    One of the best games ever created by man and possibly the best and most genius soundtrack ever recorded till now. I consider this game a diamond, a piece of genius
  62. Aug 25, 2014
    I will admit that 7 was a tough act to follow, but even on its own merits, 8 falls flat. Its gameplay mechanics are interesting in concept, but require so much micromanagement that it grinds the pace of the game to a grinding halt. Drawing magic is a chore, the characters are really underwhelming, and the story is just confusing. It's the only game in the series I really dislike- heck,I will admit that 7 was a tough act to follow, but even on its own merits, 8 falls flat. Its gameplay mechanics are interesting in concept, but require so much micromanagement that it grinds the pace of the game to a grinding halt. Drawing magic is a chore, the characters are really underwhelming, and the story is just confusing. It's the only game in the series I really dislike- heck, with all the issues of 13 I still thought its battle system was interesting- and I recommend you skip this one. Expand
  63. Sep 11, 2014
    how is this rated so highly it befuddles me its the worst Console or handheld FF game by Far lets get one thing right i like powering up in RPGs like most players do and this robs me of that [ it punishes you for leveling up] that that bad RPG /

i Have play game with odd Leveling systems but this as one of the worst and the magic system is the worst in any rps i have ever played since you cannot use you powerful magic i do not like party based RPG that disallow mages in you Party im sorry that is a bad mark on the game

this has the worst Side quest in FF history Triple Triad Just Hateful
  64. Oct 9, 2014
    So this is my first review, but i felt the time was right for me to start doing som reviews. First of all this is absolutely one of my favorite games if not my favourite game. Either this FF X, MGS 3 , Fallout 3, golden sun 2, fire emblem 7 or skyrim . But we are here to talk about ff vii
    Final fantasy viii put you in the shoes of Squall, and his desire to save the once he love Rinoa. You have a very good cast in this game after my point of view ,perhaps not the best but certainly not bad either. i used around 82 hrs completing this game, w killing omega weapon and ultima weapon. The atmosphere are brilliant and the graphics looks good for being a game from 1999. The game play is turn based and good w a lot of options and takes actually som effort to become good at it. The opening is just magnificent and the endings is also very good. The music is superb, the character development is also very good especially for Squall and Rinoa. Cute scenes is overall gorgeous and especially Rinoa. What made this game so good for me is was the brilliant story , the good characters and that it actually handled time travel in a good and easy way. So do i really have any drawback on this game, well perhaps only game play if you have not played final fantasy or don`t pay attention during the little of tutorial you get , then u might easily have a hard time but , that is also one of the thing i think this game nailed perfect. The cast might not be better then ff vi, ff vii, or ix but is definitely not bad. So yeah it nailed the junction system is brick solid if you know how to use it. So yeah i give this a 10 simply because this game has it all. Good cast , good story, brilliant music, good atmosphere and good graphic for the time it was released , is there anything thing that i can say as a cons it is the moon scene.
  65. Nov 9, 2014
    The three PS1 FF games are all amazing. I would consider this one the worst out of those 3, though... And no, it's not because of the Junction System. Overall, the story was pretty weird and the battles didn't feel as fun as it did in the previous game, FF VII... And a lot of the characters are ----- towards each other. Nevertheless, it's a great game and any FF fan or anyone who wants toThe three PS1 FF games are all amazing. I would consider this one the worst out of those 3, though... And no, it's not because of the Junction System. Overall, the story was pretty weird and the battles didn't feel as fun as it did in the previous game, FF VII... And a lot of the characters are ----- towards each other. Nevertheless, it's a great game and any FF fan or anyone who wants to try FF should definitely pick this one up sometime. Expand
  66. Nov 20, 2014
    If Final Fantasy 7 was one for the kids, FF8 was by contrast a story for the adults. The use of different time periods all converging together was something that cinema is still trying to replicate today, 15 years later. Just look at Interstellar. The concepts, themes, dialogue, and character design are all much superior in FF8 than in any other game in the series from 1 all the wayIf Final Fantasy 7 was one for the kids, FF8 was by contrast a story for the adults. The use of different time periods all converging together was something that cinema is still trying to replicate today, 15 years later. Just look at Interstellar. The concepts, themes, dialogue, and character design are all much superior in FF8 than in any other game in the series from 1 all the way until 12 where it was slightly outdone in certain areas.

Perhaps inferior in certain munchkin gameplay areas, and an absence of overpowering combos, it was really only 7 and 12, and perhaps 9 that allowed sheer craziness in terms of power. I will however still concede that there are moments in several other franchise entries that are simply more fun to play through than in 8.

The graphics at the time were light years ahead of where 7 was, and it featured a much more immersive world experience. Now the first playstation's 3D graphics look rather bad without extreme AA and other post-effects, but at the time it was amazing. And it's cutscenes were better than any other media form at the time could replicate. I could watch the intro over and over again and not get tired.

The music of Final Fantasy 8 is the best in the series. There's no room for argument here, it simply is. Admittedly it falls short in energized boss music, but the rest of it is top notch.

At the time of it's release, the genre was defined by 7. It's demographic was "all those who loved 7". So when that audience was exposed to something so different as 8 was, it was jarring and somewhat wasted on those gamers. It wasn't 7, so it wasn't as good. Most of those gamers never played 6, and most of them would never see any FF as good as 7. And at the time, the trend was the Japanese personalities, cliches, art style, dialogue, convoluted plot, etc. It's understandable that people would like 8 less. It simply wasn't trendy enough. But looking back as older adults, it's clear that it is a better game in many ways. It's graphics, story, characters, all hold up better with it's age than many other games in the series.

Let's just talk story for a moment. Japanese games are notorious for making no sense and then having you fight in outer space at the end against a monster that has several phases, each crazier than the last. If you love that sort of stuff, great. But for the rest of us, a story that made sense, yet was still deep and full of intrigue, is and was a breath of fresh air. Outside of time-compression hanky panky near the end (which is still mild compared to weirdness in FF10 and FF7), it all makes sense without just being plain weird. Let's face it, even after crisis core, (which parts of it contradict things in ff7), 7's story in regards to cloud still don't really add up. And in 10, he's just a dream? What?

Right now, there's forum posts full of people arguing back and forth about what actually happened in various FF games. Not so much with 8, and that is an accomplishment in the series.
  67. Dec 4, 2010

1. Things were more "real" this time around. [Feb 2003, p.97]
    Things were more "real" this time around. [Feb 2003, p.97]
  3. Unfortunately while the game is graphically superior to FFVII, in terms of setting, story and controls it lags way behind.