Final Fantasy VIII PlayStation

8.6

1. NaomiM.
    Nov 4, 2004
    This game is not a mockery, i really like it and the story, yeah, its got some problems, but they all do! This is one of the best! Better than 7!
  2. Jun 13, 2011
    This game knows how to suck you in. The Junction System may seem weird first but offers many possibilities for different combinations. The Story, altough getting a little stuck in the end, is pretty epic. It focuses on the main chara like no other RPG, probably also a reason why the other characters come a bit short. The Soundtrack is great, the battle system very smooth. Superb Game.
  3. StevenP.
    Dec 27, 2007
    Fantastic game, even today i enjoy playing it, great characters and an excellent storyline, although in my younger years i didn't understand most of it, it all became clear once i matured and began to think outside the box. Today this game may not seem like much compared to more graphical and mainstream final fantasy games, but this is a true classic! it clearly stands out above the rest!
  4. BradW.
    Jul 27, 2008
    Simply amazing. This game is everything you'd expect from Final Fantasy, most notably a great story with an amazing ensemble of characters. This, along with FF7, are among my most favorite games to date.
  5. Jan 19, 2011
    My favorite RPG of the PSX era and probably of all time. This game is so deep in every single level. Story, Gameplay and Graphics. Even the mini game inside the game was incredibly fun.
  6. Leon
    Dec 6, 2002
    This game is great. It has great graphics and a very unique storyline. It really is a great game worth playing.
  7. Nightkin
    Mar 27, 2005
    The best Final Fantasy game to come out on PS, or possibly ever up to that point in time. FF VIII far surpasses Final Fantasy VII in graphics, story and ingenuity. It is perhaps people's attachment to FFVII's novelty when it first came out that make their bias judgments for it so liberal and judgments for this one so harsh.
  8. Pauline
    May 3, 2005
    I personally thought this was a great game. The setting and characters truly moved me. And the musical score was just absolutely superb. Although some of the characters didn't receive great character development, it was the two main ones that was truly great. Although there are many flaws in the game, I highly recommend it.
  9. JohnH.
    Jan 23, 2006
    If you have played Final Fantasy VII and thought about getting VIII, then do so! It
  10. DavidR.
    Jul 17, 2006
    Definitely one of my three favourite games. The story is fantastic, the characters are engaging (I still cry when I listen to 'Eyes on Me' from my soundtrack CD - yes I bought that too), and the gameplay is brilliant. Some people say that FFVII is better. Those people should not be believed - they allow their inability to use the junctioning system properly (it really is quite Definitely one of my three favourite games. The story is fantastic, the characters are engaging (I still cry when I listen to 'Eyes on Me' from my soundtrack CD - yes I bought that too), and the gameplay is brilliant. Some people say that FFVII is better. Those people should not be believed - they allow their inability to use the junctioning system properly (it really is quite simple, and very effective, if you sit through the two-minute tutorials) to obscure the fact that FFVIII is superior in every major element you look for in an RPG (aside from being twice the framerate as well!). Utter perfection. Expand
  11. StevenS.
    May 4, 2007
    They will never ever make one as amazing as 7, 8, 9 and 10 ever again. This game is amazing in everyway, should keep you playing for like... 100 hours... love the soundtrack yeah yeah.
  12. JimK.
    Dec 30, 2002
    I loved this game, because of how well-put this game was made. The romantic storyline intersecting with the main character trying to save the world, was really nice. The FMV movies in the game are spectacular! Maybe as good as FFX's. You would feel sorry if you missed out on this great Final Fantasy game.
  13. PiotrS.
    Nov 20, 2004
    The GReatest Game ever.
  14. JesseI.
    Mar 26, 2004
    One problem. Magic system.otherwise perfect for any gamer.
  15. DamionK.
    Dec 31, 2006
    Amazing game. Just stunning game play - (hours of it) and unlike some of the future games (like X), it allows for a great deal of mobility of when you want to complete particular quests and go adventuring on the side quests. Definately worth while.
  16. LyanH.
    Jun 30, 2006
    The best FF by square so far. One hour play will turn into days, Trust me I know.
  17. AndrewC.
    Jan 10, 2007
    This is the very first Final Fantasy game I ever played, and it is also my favorite. Some people complain that it's more of an "interactive story" than a true RPG, and the many changes to the series seem to tick people off. But these are all the reasons that I really love FFVIII. It has wonderful, believable characters and a sweeping plot. Its junction system allows loads of freedom, This is the very first Final Fantasy game I ever played, and it is also my favorite. Some people complain that it's more of an "interactive story" than a true RPG, and the many changes to the series seem to tick people off. But these are all the reasons that I really love FFVIII. It has wonderful, believable characters and a sweeping plot. Its junction system allows loads of freedom, and the graphics are superb. Square has yet to do better. Expand
  18. DanielG.
    Jan 1, 2007
    Firstly what kind of moron plays FF to look at pixelated women? Secondly this game is nothing short of the best RPG I've ever played, but I'm pretty much a sucker for anything FF based. I bought this after FFVII believing nothing could compare to it, how wrong I was, almost everything about the game was better. The graphics for PS1 are the best I've seen, especially after Firstly what kind of moron plays FF to look at pixelated women? Secondly this game is nothing short of the best RPG I've ever played, but I'm pretty much a sucker for anything FF based. I bought this after FFVII believing nothing could compare to it, how wrong I was, almost everything about the game was better. The graphics for PS1 are the best I've seen, especially after the previous FFs and their hideous super deformed characters (a feature which sadly reappeared in FFIX). The story was complex and every element brought up tied in well to the rest, and even after playing it for the 20th time i still don't understand the point of Ultimecia, Sephiroth was a far better main villain but still the Ultimecia battles are pretty epic for such and old game. The characters genuinely develop and reveal their feelings for one another, or hatred in some cases, and what starts as a bitter rival soon becomes a powerful villain in the game. The way the story skips between two different sets of characters in two different time periods is really well done and doesn't bore you unlike FFVII or VI somtimes do (often in the case of VI). The Junction system is probably the best leveling system on any FF I've played, it's intuitive and allows you to fully customise your character's strengths instead of having them pretty much develop in a pre-defined manner with no real control over their stats. The weapon sets are pretty cool too, and instead of rasing some Gil and buying them from the next shop you have to travel to different locations and defeat all sorts of monsters to get the parts to upgrade the weapon, I think it added an extra level of difficulty for those obsessed with getting final magic, stats and weapons (like me). The ability to draw magic from locations on the map and enemies makes it more interesting especially when you have the choice to either junction the magic to increase your stats or use it in battle. It spans four discs so back in them days it was pretty long, and still is now. One thing I don't like is the people that diss the Junction system, and then go on to praise the Sphere Grid from FFX, which sucked totally, no leveling, incredibly long wait between stat increases especially major ones like HP, which in turn makes most of the bosses incredibly hard to beat. The bosses and monsters in FFVIII however, will level up alongside your characters making sure that the battles are always just challenging enough. The only bad thing about the leveling system is that you pick favourite characters almost from the onset and the others will be at weak levels like 17. Leveling imo is the only place that FFVII has VIII beat (since characters not in use still level up, because thinking logically they have to move too so they would get into battle quite a lot), they're both good games but VIII is by far the best. Highly recommended to any gamers interested in excellent storyline, superb soundtrack, detailed characters with interlinking histories and of course, epic boss battles, enjoy! Expand
  19. ChristineW.
    Sep 16, 2007
    So addicting. I've played VII and IX too, and I have no idea how this game scored lower than the both of them. The story is great and the romance is tasty. Graphics are pretty nice too for that time. I LOVE THIS GAME. The juctioning system is a bit confusing at first, but you'll get used to it.
  20. PhilM.
    May 15, 2008
    This along with Final Fantasy VII are both the greatest games I've ever played in my life. The only downside I have to point out in this game is that it ends. A lot of people whinge about the battle system, I never had any issues with it. The only mechanic that didn't seem to work too well was that you always only need 1000exp to level up meaning you can't really "catch up" This along with Final Fantasy VII are both the greatest games I've ever played in my life. The only downside I have to point out in this game is that it ends. A lot of people whinge about the battle system, I never had any issues with it. The only mechanic that didn't seem to work too well was that you always only need 1000exp to level up meaning you can't really "catch up" to higher level characters. Expand
  21. AndrewN.
    Jul 3, 2008
    The characterization in Final Fantasy 8 is incredible. In terms of storyline and setting,its one of the most sophisticated games in the series. An unforgettable epic.
  22. RanFast
    Apr 27, 2009
    If Final Fantasy VIII had come out before VII, we wouldn't be seeing these VII spinoffs and movies. VIII took what VII did so very right and made it so much better. It took the already incredible graphics and gave them a steroid injection. Beautiful magic, summon and limit effects and gorgeous rendered backdrops really took my breath away in '99. The characters, who were given If Final Fantasy VIII had come out before VII, we wouldn't be seeing these VII spinoffs and movies. VIII took what VII did so very right and made it so much better. It took the already incredible graphics and gave them a steroid injection. Beautiful magic, summon and limit effects and gorgeous rendered backdrops really took my breath away in '99. The characters, who were given the shaft in VII so the story could take focus, are gloriously fleshed out and are truly worth getting attached to. In fact, this is a love story which at first sounds like it could be a total bore and a complete cheese fest but actually turns into something very moving and emotionally captivating. Gone is the Engrish that marred past Final Fantasy entries and in its place beautiful dialogue that doesn't just speak to game nerds but everyone who is able to pick up a controller to play. By just reading text you could tell which character was speaking, something that VII just couldn't do. Its plot is also nothing to pass off either as it is epic and sweeping with clever plot twists that effect not just the world but the characters themselves (something that, again, VII did not incorporate). The battle system also takes an interesting turn. Gone is MP which makes way for a Stocking system of magic, where spells are used like items. Yet interestingly, these spells can be equipped to your characters' stats to give them an often times much needed boost, which is my favorite part of the whole game. Over all, a beautiful game that I have played countless times through and still continue to play, despite its noticeable age. Expand
  23. SiphonedLightning
    Jul 19, 2009
    Amazing amazing game!! Truly if this game had been FF VII and the actual FFVII had come out later we'd be watching an innumerable number of 3D movies of Squall and Rinoa! I believe this is the second best in this franchise, the best being FF IV as it is the first RPG i have ever played at age 10.. FF VIII has an amazing storyline, not meant at all for the average gamer because of its Amazing amazing game!! Truly if this game had been FF VII and the actual FFVII had come out later we'd be watching an innumerable number of 3D movies of Squall and Rinoa! I believe this is the second best in this franchise, the best being FF IV as it is the first RPG i have ever played at age 10.. FF VIII has an amazing storyline, not meant at all for the average gamer because of its heartwarming depth of ideas such as the connected life of all the characters involved.. I almost cried when Ultimecia was annihilated because the group had become an integral part of my life by then! Exquisite plot, awesome FMVs and scintillating progress of ideas in this edition of Final Fantasy.. Hats off to this Square Enix story writer.. Gameplay could have been slightly better, particularly magic system very tedious.. graphics too not impressive.. im really hoping the two games FF 7 and FF 8 are remade in Xbox 360 and PS3.. id give any amount of dollars to buy those two and just compare with 21st century graphic technology! Expand
  24. IvannaP.
    Dec 30, 2003
    This is the greatest game ever...the storyline is awesome and the gameplay i superb....i would recommend any rpg gamer to get this game...NOW!......even though its like a long time ago.
  25. Josh
    Jan 21, 2004
    One word- Perfect.
  26. Time_devil
    Oct 31, 2005
    Great game, great characters, great music. I highly recommend it.
  27. LawrenceP.
    Feb 14, 2005
    This is the best freaking game on the planet and this is in the year 2005!
  28. DeniseG.T.
    May 28, 2007
    Ehe, easily my favorite game. The characters are just great and there isnt really a sob feast element going on like in 7, although I do have to admit that Squall was a bit a cry baby, but that made him cuter for some reason. The graphics were amazing for its time. Overall a really excellent game
  29. TylerH
    Aug 29, 2008
    This game is truly a masterpiece. The characters, story, combat system, and graphics are top notch. Never have I played a game that kept me so interested in what was next.
  30. BarryP.
    Sep 29, 2008
    Possibly my favourite game in the series. It's adult approach makes it a pleasure to play and the love triangle with the characters involed is something different compared to the other games. The relationship with all of the characters make sense, especially with Rinoa and Squall. [***SPOILERS***] they meet on the dance floor, you see something between them as Squall looks over to Possibly my favourite game in the series. It's adult approach makes it a pleasure to play and the love triangle with the characters involed is something different compared to the other games. The relationship with all of the characters make sense, especially with Rinoa and Squall. [***SPOILERS***] they meet on the dance floor, you see something between them as Squall looks over to Rinoa as she walks away. It's not until disc 3 that they fall for each other (even though Rinoa liked him since the start; Squall wasn't giving anything away and didn't get Rinoa's cues. There's so much to see and do, with 16 GF's to capture and much magic to collect. Where as other titles had similar power systems where MP (mana points) was the main focus for use of magic It has a different approach on the power system, where the player must junction their magic in the best suited abilities to raise their status and effects. It does get ridiculed for a few flaws and major differences to the others but what makes it so marvelous to play is it's originality. People claim Final Fantasy VII and IX to be head and shoulders above VIII and the rest of the series but they are wrong. This game stands alone, comparing it to the likes of Final Fantasy VII is somewhat wrong due to their differences. VII set the benchmark for all of them released on PS1/2 but this one shows just as much character in my opinion. I completed the game a dozen times and i seem to be finding more things every time i embrace it. The game is simply epic production that every Final Fantasy fan should try and admire the work Square have put into developing this masterpiece. Expand

#1 Most Discussed PS1 Game of 1999
#3 Most Shared PS1 Game of 1999

1. GMR Magazine
    Things were more "real" this time around. [Feb 2003, p.97]
  2. Unfortunately while the game is graphically superior to FFVII, in terms of setting, story and controls it lags way behind.
  3. Spanning four discs, this is a massive RPG. You can try and skate through it in 50 hours but can easily spend over a 100 hours playing if you decide to take on all of the side games, collect all of the Cards and experience all there is to experience from this game.