Gran Turismo PlayStation

• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Apr 30, 1998
8.8

1. Jun 25, 2016
    Gran Turismo is the first video game I've ever played (in 2000) and at the time I thought it was the best game ever. But playing this in 2016 made me change that opinion real quick.

Firstly the simulation mode is really short, and I mean REALLY short. It took me 12 hours to fully beat the game at 100% (excluding the gold licences) and no I wasn't usually overpowered cars, I was usually using cars that balances the rest of the AI. Well it could mean that I'm a good driver? Not really, I just think the game was too short to fully utilize everything from gran turismo. (Great example of this is "One make races")

Secondly not enough content, like my first point. GT1 had a great potential to be a game to last 30+ hours... with the combination of all tracks (forward and reverse) you'd think that there would a lot more races, there was only 3 endurance races, (and 2 of the endurance race were from the same track but forward and reserve) I think they could have used mini endurances in other tracks which could have been a lot more interesting. Same with grand prix.. there weren't too many that stuck out and maybe more GPs could have been added, but that's just me.

Next problem I have with the game is the audio quality, I know GT hasn't been the greatest with audio quality but the audio sounds too bland, the same tire screech noise played on a 1 second loop while you are drifting sounds dreadful, the engine revs sounds really similar (except for the LM cars) and because of this, car enthusiasts wouldn't be able to enjoy the sound effects of the cars because they probably wouldn't know the difference between a "Corvette grand sport" and a "95' Honda prelude". And if it wasn't for the interesting soundtrack, I would honestly play the game on mute.

And finally the AI isn't great, I found the AI to be extremely aggressive which I find that they always bump into your car like bumper cars, I even found myself spinning out or going off track because the cars are pushing me to the side of the road, this makes the AI completely unreliable and so I find myself watching the AI for a smooth overtake because I'm afraid they'll pull a pit maneuver on me which will make me lose the race.

But after all the negative comments, I do have to give these game credit. This is one of the best racing sims I've played on a console, GT1 pushed the PS1 to the limits with this game. The graphics, the amazing rendering for it's time and hell... the game could even play on 60FPS if it wanted to (See Hi-Fi mode GT1). And even so I found the game preform a lot better overall then it's predecessor "Gran Turismo 2".

The car physics in GT1 has to be kinda wonky and tends to oversteer a lot which doesn't make a lot of sense, because car physics in GT2 and newer GTs tends to do the opposite and understeer a lot more. It makes GT1 cars easier to drift because of oversteer. But other then that it's a good game, I finished the game once but honestly I would probably never play this game again. GT2 is a much better game then GT1 and GT3 and GT4 are considered some of my favourites in the Gran Turismo franchise. But why I'm not going to play the game again? It seems like the game is too outdated whereas GT2 is not, and I'm not talking about the graphics, but the gameplay mechanics, the content and all of these races to keep you occupied, GT1 lacks in content, I've stated the gameplay mechanics are wonky and the lack of races seem to uninteresting. But GT2 seems to fix all of that and honestly I'm glad Polyphony Digital steered out of GT1's direction and made some changes. GT1 will remain a classic but some classics doesn't need to be reopened and played again.

#8 Most Discussed PS1 Game of 1998
#1 Most Shared PS1 Game of 1998

1. GMR Magazine
    The replays had some of us doing double-takes to make sure we weren't watching real race footage. [Feb 2003, p.97]
  2. If you can get past its slightly intimidating barrier to entry (getting your license to race in this game is trickier than the real thing), you'll play Gran Turismo for months and months and never see all of its glory. This is a classic.
  3. Picture the most complete racer you could ever imagine, now double it. Gran Turismo is definitely the best racing game ever.