Grandia PlayStation

• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Sep 30, 1999
6.3

1. Nov 24, 2015
    I'd like to keep this review short and reasonable.

Grandia is a J-RPG game that first came out to the Sega saturn but later was ported to PS1, it was one of my first introductions to an RPG and that includes FF8 and FF9. Anyway, Grandia stood out on it's own with it's design and colorful story that really made it feel like you were destined for ''grand'' adventure. With an unique
    I'd like to keep this review short and reasonable.

it was one of my first introductions to an RPG and that includes FF8 and FF9.

With an unique combat system that this game was praised for and some of the best soundtrack composed to fit in every mood in the game it was easy to fall in love.

Let me summarise with the pros and cons.

Pros.

- Well phased story that didn't overstay its welcome.
    - Pretty pixelated graphics on a 3D landscape
    - Unique fighting system
    - Likeable characters
    - Three rewarding sidequests that extends gameplay.
    - 60-80 hours of gameplay.
    - Great soundtrack

Cons

- Voice acting hasn't aged well.
    - Sound effects seem to desync sometimes.
    - Enemies do not scale on your level.
    - Camera tends to get obstructed (this rarely happens)
  2. Aug 25, 2015
    Grandia in a word is: Excellent. New gamers may think the story drags or is too long. BUT! that's how a RPG is supposed to be, you know.

Do not confuse story telling with the game dragging. From beginning to end, this is one of my favorite games on the PSX. A real RPG game, not like the current games that focuses too much on "fan service" leaving everything else aside. "New RPG's" should learn from this.

Can't really complain about anything. Progression, leveling, enemy encounters, every single thing is just amazingly done. Can't find a single fault. 11 out of 10.
  3. Aug 19, 2015
    Not only the characters are epic designed but also the story is. It may begin with a kid who's playing around and imagining of be on a adventure but it ends with an epic guy who's got the blessing of the spirits holding their sword and fighting against evil. I like the anime art they included. Its really epic,my first and favorite rpg as good as ff7 or even better. The way the mainNot only the characters are epic designed but also the story is. It may begin with a kid who's playing around and imagining of be on a adventure but it ends with an epic guy who's got the blessing of the spirits holding their sword and fighting against evil. I like the anime art they included. Its really epic,my first and favorite rpg as good as ff7 or even better. The way the main character deals with some situations is just good and the music is like someone mixed all epic soundtracks together into one track and presents it to you with gods earphone affiliated to the mp3 player. This game changed my life and my behavior and it's really worth play it. Expand
  4. May 11, 2015
    This is my favorite Playstation game I first started playing it when it first came out and still enjoy it today. It a really easy game and fun to play and I hope you enjoy it as much as I have.
  5. Mar 10, 2015
    Grandia showcases one of the best RPG combat systems ever developed. The combat mechanics paired with a passable storyline and colorful characters makes Grandia one for the collection.
  6. Sep 28, 2014
    This is the best game I have played till now. I loved every single moment of that game. The characters, the gameplay back in time, the History of never giving up. When Justin climbs that huge wall that divides the world and discovers a whole New World to be explored, it´s simply amazing. The love between Justin and Feena. The sad moments. Everything about the first Grandia is brilliant.
  7. Aug 1, 2014
    A long adventure with a naive but touching story, nice characters, good battle system and lots of ingame details. The worst things are tedious random battles and awful navigation, though I still enjoyed the game.
  8. Jan 5, 2014
    This is a great adventure with endearing characters, lively towns, and fun combat. The attention to detail is much higher than other games of the time. The interaction between the characters as well as the expressions on their portraits during dialogue is excellent. This game is absolutely gorgeous and the character sprites will stand the test of time compared to early polygonal charactersThis is a great adventure with endearing characters, lively towns, and fun combat. The attention to detail is much higher than other games of the time. The interaction between the characters as well as the expressions on their portraits during dialogue is excellent. This game is absolutely gorgeous and the character sprites will stand the test of time compared to early polygonal characters in other games (look at cloud in FF7)

My only two issues with the game were to lack of field maps and the casting of spells took much longer than necessary, but they were still awesome.

"Come power of the Universe! HA!!!!! Dragon King Slice!!"
  9. Dec 29, 2013
    Grandia is a game that sparked my fascination with RPG's when I was a young child, along with Final Fantasy IX (and X shortly after that). The visuals are well done, the story is great, and the audio is fantastic (aside from a few voice actors like Justin and Sue's characters). And the soundtrack, oh that soundtrack. Words cannot describe how amazingly fantastic the music is. It was one ofGrandia is a game that sparked my fascination with RPG's when I was a young child, along with Final Fantasy IX (and X shortly after that). The visuals are well done, the story is great, and the audio is fantastic (aside from a few voice actors like Justin and Sue's characters). And the soundtrack, oh that soundtrack. Words cannot describe how amazingly fantastic the music is. It was one of the first games to have a fully featured soundtrack, but it sounds more like Jesus himself injecting you with his love.

Ahem. Anyway, the gameplay is also expertly designed and insanely fun...under the right circumstances. The base game is horribly imbalanced, with many spells, skills, and items completely useless. It is an extremely easy game. I had to dock off a point for this only fault.

This issue is easily fixed however, with the mod called "Grandia Redux." Look it up and play it. It changes the balance of gameplay to be challenging and rewarding, and easily makes the game a 10/10.
  10. Dec 22, 2013
    The game becomes long and drawn out towards the end which does the game no favors in terms of enjoyment and the dialogue and plot is very, very cheesy. the battle system and magic and abilities was solid and kept me playing in what was otherwise your typical but overly cheesified cheese fest of a game that wasn't great in anyway shape or form. Oh yes, and Justin seriously began to grate onThe game becomes long and drawn out towards the end which does the game no favors in terms of enjoyment and the dialogue and plot is very, very cheesy. the battle system and magic and abilities was solid and kept me playing in what was otherwise your typical but overly cheesified cheese fest of a game that wasn't great in anyway shape or form. Oh yes, and Justin seriously began to grate on me too.
    graphics 4/10
    game play 7/10
    story 3/10
  11. Jul 25, 2012
    The game is worth playing for the battle system alone. The characters and story are dumb, and i just couldnt wait for the game to end, it dragged on and on.
  12. Jul 16, 2012
    Things which seemed epic when you were fourteen don't usually stand the test of time. Grandia with its shambling plot and cringe-worthy anime moments fits squarely into this bracket.
  13. AzimS.
    Apr 25, 2007
    This game had a lot of lovely character.The way their interacted to each other was fantastic.The technology may not seem good enough for some players but the storyline is marvelous.Each characters were given a great chance to show themselves.This game had funny humor,great battle system of it's own,puzzles,creative monster design,and others.I'm very sure that this game will give This game had a lot of lovely character.The way their interacted to each other was fantastic.The technology may not seem good enough for some players but the storyline is marvelous.Each characters were given a great chance to show themselves.This game had funny humor,great battle system of it's own,puzzles,creative monster design,and others.I'm very sure that this game will give players the feeling of satisfaction,as long as you don't care about the visual. Expand
    Apr 2, 2007
    The battle system still stands today as one of the best an RPG has to offer. The plot was entertaining throughout and led up to an epic finale. All around, one of my favorite games.
  15. Jul 25, 2012

#8 Most Discussed PS1 Game of 1999
#5 Most Shared PS1 Game of 1999

1. Story is a great component of any RPG but it has to have a quality battle engine alongside. Thankfully Grandia utilizes one of the best we have played.
  2. With an absolutely stellar story, and characters that are more lively and fleshed out than those found in other series this game provides the integral components to make for an RPG that will rule the players life until they’ve finished the game.
  3. A role-playing masterpiece that delivers in all of the ways that really matter. While perhaps a little behind in the technology curve, Grandia's innovation, atmosphere, and story make it one of the most noteworthy RPGs in recent memory.