8.8

1. Sep 9, 2013
    Do you love JRPG's? DId you ever? Then play this. Consider that this game came out in 1994 for the Sega CD, so you probably never heard of it back then. At that time, this game had an hour and a half of full anime style animation, and an hour and a half of spoken dialog, six years and two generations earlier than the juggernaut Final Fantasy had it's first spoken dialog. It's too bad that the original came out for Sega CD because by the time it was reworked for PSX, LUNAR was graphically dated and didn't get the praise that it highly deserved as one of the best RPG series of all time.

Why is that? Well, it's the writing and the likeable characters that do it for me. Working Designs put great care into their translations, and they were leagues better than the competition at that time, with none of that awkward stuff common in 1990's JRPG's. That, combined with a far bigger adventure than the first LUNAR, make it an incredible journey and game. The music of the series is also incredible, and I still have it on my computer. Check out Star Dragon Theme and compare it to the quality of other games of the 16/32-bit era.

If you can still play through games like Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 6, or any other of those classic JRPG's, I highly recommend the Sega CD or PSX version of LUNAR Eternal Blue.
  2. Sep 9, 2013

1. Lunar 2 is a template for what sequels should be. While not pushing the graphical limits of the Playstation, the involved story and excellent soundtrack are wondrous.
  2. If you're looking for a story to unravel over 40+ hours and you don't mind wading through a few dungeons, you'll love Lunar 2. This is one classic that deserves the name.
  3. One the greatest games ever to grace a console. It's fun, simple and has a great replay value. Once you get past the 16-bit gameplay graphics, you're sure to find a lot to like about Lunar 2.