Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee PlayStation

9.1

1. May 13, 2012
    The art is amazing, the voice acting was top notch for it's time, and the creatures are genius.
    It's the best platform game I've ever played and it's difficulty is may put off a more casual audience but there will never be a time when it is unfair on you, when you make a mistake and die you always think to your self "Ok, that didn't work but now i know where I went wrong". It's a masterpiece and you should pick it up seeing it's quite cheap on certain services.
  2. Aug 31, 2011
    I just finished this game after downloading it on my PS3....and it's one of the best games ever made. If you have a PS3, get this off PSN. The amount of thought that was put into this game puts modern games to shame. In an age of mindless, dumbed-down games that tell you exactly what to do, this game actually makes you think and figure things out. It will be hard to play a mindlessI just finished this game after downloading it on my PS3....and it's one of the best games ever made. If you have a PS3, get this off PSN. The amount of thought that was put into this game puts modern games to shame. In an age of mindless, dumbed-down games that tell you exactly what to do, this game actually makes you think and figure things out. It will be hard to play a mindless modern game after having my brain stimulated by this brilliant game.

This game was made in a time when game companies didn't dumb down their games for 11-year-olds...back then, game companies made games how they wanted to make them and they weren't afraid to make their games difficult. Sadly, no one will ever make a game like this again...game companies today cater to dumb people who want to mindlessly mash buttons without ever using a brain cell. Oh well, at least you can still get it on PSN.
  3. StringerB.
    Jan 8, 2003
    I loved this freakin whacked out, weird-ass game. Abe rocks.
  4. AxelR
    Sep 9, 2008
    This games kicks ass over most games in the past 10 years. Amazing how this has actually held the test of time.
  5. AndreasL
    Dec 2, 2008
    Why look elsewhere when perfection is right here?
  6. Nov 20, 2012
    It was fantastic in '97 and it's fantastic now.I've lost count the number of times I've finished it over the last 15 years.Still one of the best games ever made.
  7. Sep 22, 2011
    This is one of my favorite childhood games. A bit morbid, but that isn't always a bad thing. There literally are no other games like this one, and what I mean by that is the original content is unforgettable. Definitely one of the better games of the decade, and I wish more developers were this creative and talented.
  8. Sep 7, 2012
    A game for the playstation that was released a couple of years ago didn't get huge media attention, but now that it can be found in bargain bins across the country, you should do yourself a favor and check it out. "Abe's Oddworld Oddysee" is a game of great imagination, fun, and immense challenge. In fact, some of the game may be two challenging. The basic game style is from a side view,A game for the playstation that was released a couple of years ago didn't get huge media attention, but now that it can be found in bargain bins across the country, you should do yourself a favor and check it out. "Abe's Oddworld Oddysee" is a game of great imagination, fun, and immense challenge. In fact, some of the game may be two challenging. The basic game style is from a side view, with rooms, and in each room Abe has to figure out how to get something done. It's a puzzle game with an action twist, with a great story and a sequel hot in stores now. The main drawback is that this game may be in some ways too difficult for young children, or even for those without quick video game reflexes. But for the rest of us, check it out.

Pros:Fun, challenging, great story

Cons:Slightly repetitive, almost too challenging

(This review originally written: Oct 01 '99)
  9. Nov 9, 2011
    Do i need to say something? its perfect, awesome, a classic.
  10. Nov 11, 2011
    Truly stunning 2D platformer, from the game mechanics, to the graphics and of course the music/sound effects.

This title even has a main potagonist you really do care about, along with his 99 workmates who you should try your best to save!

Epic, beautiful, gorgeous!
  11. May 22, 2012
    This is another PSX classic. The game mechanic forces you to explore without knowing what will come next, to save your friends without knowing if you'll die, to think about a solution of a problem without knowing exactly what's that problem. Very hard and exigent game, but also very beautifuly finished maps and history. I can't give it 10 because of the lack of saving points. Dying in theThis is another PSX classic. The game mechanic forces you to explore without knowing what will come next, to save your friends without knowing if you'll die, to think about a solution of a problem without knowing exactly what's that problem. Very hard and exigent game, but also very beautifuly finished maps and history. I can't give it 10 because of the lack of saving points. Dying in the same spot again and again and repeating the same part of the game can be frustrating. Expand
  12. Mar 12, 2014
    Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee isn't your average platformer diverging from the typical traits that cause "gamer's thumb" and is addictively frustrating. Challenging and well-thought out puzzles that are blended perfectly with a bit of action, a slightly darker sense of humour than you would normally find in a brightly coloured platformer giving you a good 20 hours or more worth of fun gameplayOddworld: Abe's Oddysee isn't your average platformer diverging from the typical traits that cause "gamer's thumb" and is addictively frustrating. Challenging and well-thought out puzzles that are blended perfectly with a bit of action, a slightly darker sense of humour than you would normally find in a brightly coloured platformer giving you a good 20 hours or more worth of fun gameplay without being fast-paced or action-packed. A game in the genre which will appease those tired of platform games, but also caters for those who never really had the taste and wants fresh meat of a game. Let's just hope it's not Mudokons! Expand
  13. Apr 2, 2015
    It's one of the games I would name when asked about Sony Playstation. It was one of the first games my parents bought me with the console in 90-s in Vienna. A 100% classic for original PS. Can't forget the voice of Abe during the game. And the first cutscene - intro with words: "This is Rapture Farm" is the best intro I saw in video games!
  14. Mar 29, 2013
    This game was pretty much the reason I bought a PS1 in the first place. Graphic were fantastic, and it is still one of my all time favorite platformers. Overall: A brilliant platformer that holds well, even 15 years after it's initial release.
  15. Jun 17, 2014
    What can I say? In my opinion, the greatest game ever created. The artwork is amazing, the puzzles are fantastic and the gameplay is top notch. What is most amazing about this game is how fantastically it's aged, it is in my eyes the most amazing well aged game ever made. While amazing games such as Final Fantasy VII look laughable by today's standards with blocky CGI and even blockierWhat can I say? In my opinion, the greatest game ever created. The artwork is amazing, the puzzles are fantastic and the gameplay is top notch. What is most amazing about this game is how fantastically it's aged, it is in my eyes the most amazing well aged game ever made. While amazing games such as Final Fantasy VII look laughable by today's standards with blocky CGI and even blockier in-game graphics and clunky controls, everything that was impressive in Abe's oddysee in 1997 is still impressive today; the artwork is amazing, the controls and gameplay are fantastic, and the cutscenes look amazing even today, let alone by 1997 standards. One could say the game is a little too difficult for casual gamers, but challenging games are always best. A timeless classic. Expand
  16. Dec 4, 2015
    Great game; althought i played New N tasty, but i first discovered that game by internet videos; i watched the whole 'playthrought' of Abe's Oddysee on PS1.
  17. Mar 27, 2016
    If you are a fan of platformers, this is a must-have for your collection. its mix of dark humour and hilariously unsuited hero of the day makes for an enticing story with a meaningful adventure. With gorgeous and detailed level design.

#3 Most Discussed PS1 Game of 1997
#4 Most Shared PS1 Game of 1997

1. If not for "Final Fantasy 7" this would probably be my pick for game of the year.
  2. The game is just designed and presented so damn well, that it hooks you in and keeps you coming back for more. It's one of those rare games that require players to think before they react.
  3. Electronic Gaming Monthly