R4: Ridge Racer Type 4 PlayStation

• Publisher: Namco
  • Release Date: May 1, 1999

1. MichaelE
    Mar 1, 2009
    I think everything about this game is superb. The graphics, music, tracks and handling are all excellent and this is the best arcade style racer of it's generation. It still plays better than many racing games of today.
  2. LucaR
    Oct 20, 2009
    Absolutely a phenomenal racing game, controls are rock solid, and for a playstation 1 game, it looks pretty. I'm a fan of the soundtrack too, but I can see how it may not be some peoples cup of tea.
  3. JhosethR.
    Jul 2, 2003
    I think tghis game is absolutely awesome! It can't be beaten by any other game of its releasing year, not even GT, which I hate a lot, by the way...no other game has made me feel like driving a real car, and the braking system...ohhh!!! that'0s the best part of this game...I simply love it! Venezuela (the place I live in) loves R4...
  4. May 29, 2012
    Very cool arcade racing game with a huge game length. However, the number of cars is actually pretty low because most of them are just the same with different team colors. Still, on of the funniest racing games ever with all the drifting mechanics and the cool tracks.
  5. MatheusR.
    Jul 2, 2005
    This Gane Is Simply Terrific.

#19 Most Discussed PS1 Game of 1999

1. GMR Magazine
    Plenty of cars, silky-smooth graphics, and of all things, a story mode. Best played with the Jogcon controller. [Feb 2003, p.97]
    Extremely tight controls, and the US version enables Dual Shock support! Take that, Japanese version!
  3. The control in R4 is something that you will either be a fan of and realize that it offers almost unprecedented control or feel that it is so arcadish and fake that it's unbearable. I reside on the fan level.