Resident Evil 2 PlayStation
  • Release Date: Jan 21, 1998
  • Also On: PC
9.2

1. Jul 28, 2013
    For me Resident Evil 2 remains the best game in the series (other than arguably the fourth installment but that took the series in a different direction) and easily ranks amongst the best games of its generation. Building upon the foundations of the original very few titles to this day have been able to invoke such a sense of dread and isolation, the game making brilliant use of fixedFor me Resident Evil 2 remains the best game in the series (other than arguably the fourth installment but that took the series in a different direction) and easily ranks amongst the best games of its generation. Building upon the foundations of the original very few titles to this day have been able to invoke such a sense of dread and isolation, the game making brilliant use of fixed camera angles to make sure the play never knows what is around the next corner.

Of course the graphics and some of the gameplay elements, such as 'bullet sponge' bosses and B-movie scripts, may be outdated now but if you own a PSone or PS2 this is still worth digging out for an idea of what a survival horror game should be like.
  2. Mar 22, 2013
    Absolutely fantastic. It improved on the original in every way and tried many new ideas that have yet to be topped. One of the few games that has successfully made me jump and kept me on the edge of my seat. Great story, fantastic characters, brilliant visuals and highly memorable gameplay. Overall: While it is my favorite of the series, it still isn't the best and does suffer from someAbsolutely fantastic. It improved on the original in every way and tried many new ideas that have yet to be topped. One of the few games that has successfully made me jump and kept me on the edge of my seat. Great story, fantastic characters, brilliant visuals and highly memorable gameplay. Overall: While it is my favorite of the series, it still isn't the best and does suffer from some minor flaws, but at least the voice acting has improved to tolerable levels. Expand
  3. May 27, 2012
    Awesome game. 2 whole quests.
  4. Mar 3, 2013
    Takes everything from the original and improves upon it. With diverse paths through the game split between two characters, each storyline is much more unique this time. Better voice acting, sharper character models and textures, tons of new weapons, and a compelling storyline split between two diverse locations make this one of my favorite games ever. If you enjoyed the original, beTakes everything from the original and improves upon it. With diverse paths through the game split between two characters, each storyline is much more unique this time. Better voice acting, sharper character models and textures, tons of new weapons, and a compelling storyline split between two diverse locations make this one of my favorite games ever. If you enjoyed the original, be prepared to be blown away by all the improves to the series. Resident Evil 1-3 are all fantastic survival horror games from a bygone era of gaming that all fans of action games should play. Expand
  5. Oct 5, 2012
    i love this game PERIOD it oozes blood & challenge (no pun intended) lol anyways it is one of the best survival horror games let alone the series. yes i kid u not it is one of the best it is up there with silent hill 1 & 2, doom 3, and of course fatal frame
  6. May 2, 2014
    survival horror wise, this is the best game in the franchise. the scariest, the most challenging, and of course the tyrant, which isn't quite as cool as nemesis, but whatever. quite possibly the greatest survival horror game ever
  7. Jun 27, 2012
    This game still suffers from some of my problems with the first game such as the weird unnecessary inventory system and very stiff combat, but this game didn't piss me off as much. In fact I enjoyed this game enough to completely overlook those flaws. It's a pretty rough game but doesn't feel unfair about it. Above all, it's fun and probably one of the best games in the series.
  8. Nov 5, 2014
    This game will have you on the edge of your seat until the very end, from start to finish. Resident Evil cannot be topped when it comes to length of a game, spookiness, or just plain not knowing what to expect. The game can be hard, but not difficult and with many different rewards for finish on different difficulties and getting a score at the end you can unlock things(I won't spoil it).This game will have you on the edge of your seat until the very end, from start to finish. Resident Evil cannot be topped when it comes to length of a game, spookiness, or just plain not knowing what to expect. The game can be hard, but not difficult and with many different rewards for finish on different difficulties and getting a score at the end you can unlock things(I won't spoil it). The game can be heart wrenching at times too, as you kind of feel like a character grows on you. The music is what makes the game even better. I mean they have perfect music for whatever scenario you're in so you kind of never know what to expect, so it's creepy. I cannot say enough good things about this game, so hopefully you will experience it, even 16 years later it's still one of the best. Expand
  9. Oct 21, 2013
    Resident evil 2 is the best resident evil of franchise
    one of the scariest game of my childhood
    i love it
    is one my favourite games of ps1 and n64
    i love it
  10. Jun 28, 2012
    The Mansion seemed like the best setting, but RE2s police department isn't that far behind. RE2 improves over the original ALOT. The plot, characters, and scenarios are more engaging. Gameplay tweaks fix a lot of the originals issues. Controls feel a tad more precise. The game seems to have a perfect balance of action, puzzles, and backtracking. RE2 is up there with REmake and RE4. It'sThe Mansion seemed like the best setting, but RE2s police department isn't that far behind. RE2 improves over the original ALOT. The plot, characters, and scenarios are more engaging. Gameplay tweaks fix a lot of the originals issues. Controls feel a tad more precise. The game seems to have a perfect balance of action, puzzles, and backtracking. RE2 is up there with REmake and RE4. It's certainly the best Resident Evil on PSone and one of the best in the entire series. Expand
  11. Oct 1, 2013
    One of the greatest Survival-Horror games of all time. Great atmosphere and great puzzles are major factors in this game being a classic. The game gives you 5 different ways of playing the story, those being Leon Scenario A and B, Clair Scenario A and B, and a rookie mode, which starts you out with 3 infinite weapons. This is close to a masterpiece of a game, and easily one of PS1'sOne of the greatest Survival-Horror games of all time. Great atmosphere and great puzzles are major factors in this game being a classic. The game gives you 5 different ways of playing the story, those being Leon Scenario A and B, Clair Scenario A and B, and a rookie mode, which starts you out with 3 infinite weapons. This is close to a masterpiece of a game, and easily one of PS1's best of all time. Expand
  12. Jun 4, 2014
    The best survival horror and the best psx ever made.
    The best survival horror and the best psx ever made.
    This is not a formal review, but i need to say that Resident Evil 2 was the best game that i played in my life, from my childhood, in my old ps1. and now years after i still loving that masterpiece, my score is 9.5, but i give it the 10, it's a shame that resident evil 6 is a disaster with no horror, those where the days. I am looking forward to play Biohazard Value Plus for the Dreamcast, this game make me love the ps1 and teach me what the true horror means. Thank you Capcom.
  13. Jul 6, 2013
    Gave the original Resident Evil a 9 also, but I do like Resident Evil 2 a little bit more. This game improves and builds on all the the greatness of the first. Still hate the controls.
  14. Oct 11, 2013
    EN: Resident Evil 2 shows a overall improvement on the series, and really shines when it comes to jump-scares. Great game.
    PT-BR: Resident Evil 2 mostra uma melhora geral na série, e realmente brilha quando se trata de sustos. Ótimo game.
  15. Nov 4, 2011
    One of the best gmes i've played. The Soundtrack, cutescenes, characters and history.... everything in this game is epic. Probably the best Resident Evil and one of the best games of Capcom.
  16. Feb 22, 2014
    Very rarely would I give a 10/10 for any game... but when you STILL compare every new survival horror to this one and that your childhood was marked by this video game...WELL IT DESERVES a 10.

People need to judge this by pretending it's 1996-1999 era and then they'll realise this is probably one of the best 10 games ever made!!! The story line is simple yet very intriguing. The

The story line is simple yet very intriguing. The characters weren't bland and were mysterious. The pre-rendered backgrounds are amazing!!(I prefer these then the new-gen).

Some of the BEST things about this game was that it had an awesome atmosphere! (new-gen games fail at this).
    I remember finding pages and diaries and reading through them and being completely immersed in the world. (the one where the guy is writing about his painful seclusion and feeling sick...not knowing how long he had left).
    Absolutely breathtaking!!

Capcom should have stuck to this recipe and kept this game for NICHE audience! Instead, they made RE5, RE6 and completely destroyed everything that was perfect about RE1,RE2.

This is hands down the best RE of them all. Sorry RE4 was good but it did NOT have a story like this one did... neither did it have the HORROR aspect as well blended as this one!
  17. Aug 30, 2013
    Long long ago, when the Resident Evil series was an adventure/horror series and not an action/shooter series, Capcom actually knew how to make good games. Resident Evil 2 is one of them. It's plot is simple, yet intriguing. The game is one of the most atmospheric games of this era and even though it's quite old, you can still tell that it is well designed. The gameplay is excellent asLong long ago, when the Resident Evil series was an adventure/horror series and not an action/shooter series, Capcom actually knew how to make good games. Resident Evil 2 is one of them. It's plot is simple, yet intriguing. The game is one of the most atmospheric games of this era and even though it's quite old, you can still tell that it is well designed. The gameplay is excellent as well. Need I say more? This game is a classic. Expand
  18. Nov 16, 2013
    i remember the first day i played this 15 years ago. i remember those exact words, (we finally beat it!) only 5 years old when i first beat re2 and 3. resident evil series will always be on my game list, even when ps5 and 6 come out. people gona play Cod Bo 3 and 4 while im playing games not for entertainment, but also to reminisce to. I will never forget who Capcom is.
  19. May 21, 2012
    When i played this game the first time me and a friend stayed up all night to play and we were speechless of how much it kicked ass LOL this is a all time classic!
  20. Jun 2, 2013
    To me Resident Evil 2 and 4 are tied for the best and my personal favorite, not just because Leon is awesome in both, but the gameplay was just wow. I literally can play these two games over and over and over. They're that addicting. I love them. Now focusing on 2. 2 starts out where Leon is supposed to go to the RPD for a party. First day on the job is always supposed to be the worstTo me Resident Evil 2 and 4 are tied for the best and my personal favorite, not just because Leon is awesome in both, but the gameplay was just wow. I literally can play these two games over and over and over. They're that addicting. I love them. Now focusing on 2. 2 starts out where Leon is supposed to go to the RPD for a party. First day on the job is always supposed to be the worst anyway, well yeah it was a bad day for Leon. The opening scenes put you in suspense and it never stopped. When it got quite I got real scared as a kid not going to lie. I was terrified, but I beat the game. I even bought it for my ps3. This game also really intrigued me. It was a long long campaign. I just love this game so much it's ridiculous. 2 and 4 of the Resident Evil franchise are my favorite games of all time. Expand
  21. Sep 12, 2011
    A king among survival horror game genre. A feast for those who like to be scared and a must buy for RE 1 fans. The atmosphere is brilliant, gameplay may not suit everybody since the control scheme is deliberately frustrating. Add to that constant strive for ammo, zombies and mutatns jumping out from nowhere and the creepy enviroments and you have a **** for making you constantly scared ****
  22. Sep 30, 2013
    A great sequence of the first game, introduces others great characters, with a good storyline and graphics, this makes Resident Evil one big franchise in the world of games.
  23. Feb 22, 2012
    As ChrisM put so well this is getting a 10 for me to compensate for JayD abusing the rating system. Would have given it a 9 otherwise. This game frightened the crap out of me and despite a lot of very annoying issues with camera angles, movement, battle gameplay etc. the atmosphere and visuals made it one of the most memorable games on the playstation.
  24. Jun 28, 2012
    This was the first survival horror game I ever played, and thus, the first game to make me anticipate nightfall for full enjoyment. Your surroundings have to be engulfed in darkness if you want your pants scared off properly, after all. You can choose to play as one of two protagonists; Claire, sister of S.T.A.R.S. member Chris from the first game. Or Leon, who is presented with theThis was the first survival horror game I ever played, and thus, the first game to make me anticipate nightfall for full enjoyment. Your surroundings have to be engulfed in darkness if you want your pants scared off properly, after all. You can choose to play as one of two protagonists; Claire, sister of S.T.A.R.S. member Chris from the first game. Or Leon, who is presented with the greatest first day rookie cop assignment ever; to survive a zombie apocalypse. The game's soundtrack is atmospheric, and really captures the ambience of a desolate setting, housing unfamiliar and unnatural horrors in its shadows, and a lingering hope for survival beyond those shadows. The game is a perfect compromise between shooting, puzzle-solving, and pop-up scare tactics. I also enjoy the fact that you can play a second side of the story directly after beating one disc, and vice versa. That makes for 4 different scenarios and a lot of added replay value. Expand
  25. Sep 17, 2013
    This was the first survival horror I played and it will always hold a place in my heart. The game overall was an instrument of perfection (well of course there's the cliche voice acting) and having multiple scenarios on multiple discs made this a thunderous experience. Most notable for introducing Leon and Claire, as well as the infamous Licker.
  26. Jun 9, 2014
    Check out top 10 scary moments and all bosses in Leon (A) scenario here:
    About a game: it is easier than RE1, but it provides more action. Also you have 4 possible scenarios (Leon A, Leon B, Claire A, Claire B). No need to speak about atmosphere, it is as it should be; great! There are riddles that aren't hard, but give a nice touch to the game. In the
    Check out top 10 scary moments and all bosses in Leon (A) scenario here:

There are riddles that aren't hard, but give a nice touch to the game. In the police station, a place where you run into while being chased by zombies at a beginning, you try to find a shelter thinking it is safe, but how wrong can you be... I don't know what to say about this game and be original. It can't be written briefly, you simply need to play it by yourself to find out what's this game like.
  27. Apr 2, 2013
    Ein wahrer Klassiker, atmosphärisch und spielerisch steht auch der zweite Teil dem ersten und Zero im nichts nach. Hier merkt man allerdings, dass das Spielprinzip verstaubt. Die Abläufe sind von Teil zu Teil immer die gleichen. Man kommt in ein unheimliches Anwesen und endet dann in irgendeinen geheimen Labor. Von Zero bis Teil 3 immer das gleiche Schema. Klar dass die Macher versuchtEin wahrer Klassiker, atmosphärisch und spielerisch steht auch der zweite Teil dem ersten und Zero im nichts nach. Hier merkt man allerdings, dass das Spielprinzip verstaubt. Die Abläufe sind von Teil zu Teil immer die gleichen. Man kommt in ein unheimliches Anwesen und endet dann in irgendeinen geheimen Labor. Von Zero bis Teil 3 immer das gleiche Schema. Klar dass die Macher versucht haben, mit Teil 4 etwas anderes zu machen, wo dann der Untergang der Serie seinen Lauf genommen hat. Lieber hätte man das 3D Third Person Element mit dem Survival Horror Element verknüpft und ein paar neue Konzeptideen hinzugefügt, stattdessen gabs den Actionbrei, aber das ist eine andere Geschichte. Resident Evil 2 selbst ist ein super Spiel mit hohen Widerspielwert aufgrund der 2 verschiedenen Kampagnen. 2 Main Kampagnen mit Claire und Leon und 2 B Kampagnen mit einer alternativen Startroute. Aufjedenfall ein geiles Oldschool Resi, ich habs an einem Stück durchgespielt und hatte zu keiner Sekunde langweile. Das einzige was man dem Spiel ankreiden könnte ist die ständige hin und her Lauferei und wieder das gleiche Schema wie die restlichen Resis seiner Art. Expand
  28. Aug 8, 2014
    Even thought the first installment of the Resident Evil was amazing,Resident Evil 2 perfected it in all the aspects.You start as Leon S.Kennedy,a rookie police officer,who in the first day at his duty,is surviving at a zombie apocalypse.
    Graphics-8/10
    Playabilitie-10/10
    Soundtrack-10/10
    Review by Henry4Dead
  29. Feb 20, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is one of the best games in the genre, and of the best games for the PS1 ever. It's slightly more action-oriented than the more scary RE1, but it doesn't make it lesser of a game. The action-horror atmosphere actually fits very well, but maybe it could have been slightly better if it was a teeny tiny bit more scary. Who knows. The music and the sound effects are excellent and gives the game an eerie atmosphere. The dialogue is kinda cheesy, but that's the way I like it. It has a lot of puzzle-solving which is a good thing, and it has interesting environments and characters. 2 separate characters with 2 separate scenarios each (granted the scenarios aren't very different from one another), and an extra mini-game with Hunk and Tofu gives this game a great replay-value. Plenty of interesting bosses including: alligator, Mr X., different mutations of William Birkin, G-Virus' "Offspring", the Moth (although not really a boss). 1-2 more boss-fights had been perfect though. I think Chief Irons had made a good boss, imagine a boss-fight with a human who isn't infected by some kind of virus, blasting away with a hunting rifle, and setting off traps (he enjoyed hunting) during the fight. A boss-fight against one of Hunk's team members would have been nice too. A G-virus mutated mercenary with a machine gun. Plenty of different monsters such as: a few different kind of zombies (but where are all the children zombies?), 2 kind of lickers, 2 kind of walking plants, spiders, dogs (where are all the cats though?), crows. Cats and snakes (there are only sissy snakes, and few of them) would have been cool. Some kind of different bird would have been nice, since there are only crows/ravens/whatever. Summary: A solid 10, it is everything that a Resident Evil should be, and I will NEVER get tired of this game. I still remember the first time I saw this game, it was when I watched my friend play the RE2 demo, which his older brother had got from his copy of RE 1 Dir. Cut. I was awe-struck and deeply fascinated when i watched my friend play it. It's more than 10 years later now, and the fascination of this game hasn't decreased, Expand
  30. Jun 25, 2012
    Here are my six standard game-judging questions:
    1. Did I enjoy the game overall? Yes.
    2. Was the game good enough to play through to completion? Yes. 3. Did I get a little bored and put the game down for a while to play another game in the mean time? No. 4. After completing the game, was it good enough to play again, even for a little while? Yes. 5. Was it good enough to warrant a
    Here are my six standard game-judging questions:
    1. Did I enjoy the game overall? Yes.
    2. Was the game good enough to play through to completion? Yes.
    5. Was it good enough to warrant a purchase of a re-release or sequel? Yes.
    6. Is it timeless/a classic? Meaning: Is it good enough to still play to this day? No.
    What's my total? 9/10!
    Note: I am 31 years old, and a mature, respectful, unbiased gamer.

1. Zombies running amok in Raccoon City; more B-movie voice acting running amok on your speakers. Enough to fill two disks this time! [Feb 2003, p.97]
  2. The sequel elevates what was so great about the first one to a complete new level of terror.
  3. One of the most clever, crowd-pleasing, tense, dramatic, beautiful and playable games ever conceived.