Spyro: Year of the Dragon PlayStation

• Release Date: Oct 23, 2000
8.8

1. M.M.
    Sep 30, 2002
    This is a great game and I highly recommend this to all gamers. The only part that doesn't exceed my standings is that moneybags is still in the game! I don't mind him once in awhile but he's in every level more than at least once. Your practically giving away your gems for one simple move or other things that can be learned other ways. Other than that this game rocks! I This is a great game and I highly recommend this to all gamers. The only part that doesn't exceed my standings is that moneybags is still in the game! I don't mind him once in awhile but he's in every level more than at least once. Your practically giving away your gems for one simple move or other things that can be learned other ways. Other than that this game rocks! I love how sparx now has his own level! Great job! Expand
  2. MichaelH.
    Feb 26, 2002
    One of the best games on the playstation, a must to all gamers.
  3. SabrinaS.
    Aug 24, 2001
    Well it is easy and not cheesie. I am 17 and have played all types of games my whole life, and I like Spyro the best. It has some very cool graghics and a little dragon with an attitude.
  4. Gods_Grl
    Mar 25, 2002
    This game is awesome! But it does get confusing when you are trying to get to the next level. Other than that, this game rocks!
  5. Hellogoodbye
    Jan 15, 2003
    The game is a waste of money people would be better to put their money towards a PS2 and grand theft auto or timesplitters2 or Devil May Cry y' know something decent!
  6. RoccoRasco
    Feb 12, 2003
    Best of the series, a blast!
  7. Jonny
    Oct 15, 2007
    This game was brilliant. the imaginative levals just make you want to play it through the night. and the music is catchy.
  8. HillaryG.
    Nov 19, 2001
    I hated playstation. My fiance was an additct to tony hawk pro skater 2 so while he was at work i put in a cd (it happened to be year of the dragon) At 3am i was still playing. I haven't finised it cause i dont have the time and every time i sit down i'm glued. It's like crack. I'm now a playstation addict and spryo is what hooked me.
  9. JonE.
    Oct 13, 2001
    A true breakthrough in the world of gaming. Excellent play and story line. BEST EVER!
  10. AshtonM.
    Oct 18, 2001
    This game is so easy I beat the whole game, and it was incredible!
  11. Bentleytheyeti
    Jun 26, 2003
    Even if I was'nt the main character, I managed to buy a club for Bartholomew of a fat bear so he could beat up that mean Sorceress!
  12. MarkD.
    Nov 10, 2006
    This series got better with each sequel untill this - the best cutesy platformer on the PlayStation.
  13. Kasey
    Dec 27, 2006
    This is by FAR my favorite game but I hate those new ones. I like the old Spyro sparx and hunter and the others. Those new ones dont even have the same voice...WHATS UP WITH THAT!?.
  14. Mar 27, 2011
    Insomniac knew how to make Spyro a working game. The game has such a large amount of content and variety of gameplay that this Spyro game was Insomniac's way of going out with a bang. Sure, you have a strange camera to deal with and a glitch here and there, but this game is outstanding. It still entertains me to this day... 10 years after release. My PSone classic downloaded copy of thisInsomniac knew how to make Spyro a working game. The game has such a large amount of content and variety of gameplay that this Spyro game was Insomniac's way of going out with a bang. Sure, you have a strange camera to deal with and a glitch here and there, but this game is outstanding. It still entertains me to this day... 10 years after release. My PSone classic downloaded copy of this game has noticeble semi-common framerate drops. They do not kill the experience, but they are somewhat annoying. Expand
  15. Nov 19, 2010
    The only PS1 game better than this one is Spyro: Ripto's Rage. That's all. I am putting more words like this one to meeeeeet the minimum requuuiiirement of 150 charrractttersssss.
  16. Jan 21, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. There is nothing to say............................................................................................................................... Expand
  17. Dec 2, 2010
    The early Spyro series by Insonmiac Games is probably the best platformer series ever made. Speaking of which, "Spyro: Year of the Dragon" is the best Spyro game. Still keeping its originality, "Year of the Dragon" still changes in some sorts. "Spyro: Ripto Rage" can be too quiet at times but not for this installment. There is a lot of action in this installment. Unlike the previous SpyroThe early Spyro series by Insonmiac Games is probably the best platformer series ever made. Speaking of which, "Spyro: Year of the Dragon" is the best Spyro game. Still keeping its originality, "Year of the Dragon" still changes in some sorts. "Spyro: Ripto Rage" can be too quiet at times but not for this installment. There is a lot of action in this installment. Unlike the previous Spyro games, this game's storyline progresses from time to time, rather than staying stiff in certain sections. We have both old characters back and new characters appearing, as well as more entertaining levels with side missions. This game is very fun, a classic platformer and worth a play. Expand
  18. Apr 30, 2011
    Year of the Dragon is arguably the best Spyro game to date. Pros: Fantastic graphics; rich, colorful visuals; charming characters; a surprising amount of depth in level design. Cons: The control and camera are often wonky.
  19. Mar 18, 2012
    this game is fun because there's egg you collect and you get then get new dragon which is cool then you can win more and get more dragons this game is cool
  20. Jul 2, 2011
    Ah, yes. The last great Spyro game, and by far the best of the Spyro games. This game has it's share of defining moments from the fun as all hell flying mini-game (hell all mini-games were good), to ramming and burning Moneybags in order to get all of your gems from the bastard, to every boss battle, especially the ending fight, which is still among my favorite bosses ever. It has flaws,Ah, yes. The last great Spyro game, and by far the best of the Spyro games. This game has it's share of defining moments from the fun as all hell flying mini-game (hell all mini-games were good), to ramming and burning Moneybags in order to get all of your gems from the bastard, to every boss battle, especially the ending fight, which is still among my favorite bosses ever. It has flaws, sure, but they are almost unnoticeable due to the greatness of this game. Expand
  21. Aug 15, 2011
    Goofy graphic style don't seem to date even in this year, seriously thats fantastic. The levels are always a fun adventure that can't be miss. Insomniacs classic series went in a bang that left a nice footprint that can't be removed. I'm glad I played this.
  22. Mar 28, 2013
    The platformer was certainly a popular genre back in the PSone days and this first Spyro title was amongst the better efforts.
  23. Feb 9, 2017
    Very appealing. Completes a landmark trilogy. Not as good as Ripto's Rage, which to me lit the identity of this world. Year of the Dragon remains highly fun and dynamic, however as a result the amount of detailed gameplay can make some levels a little excessive. But that might be this game's only flaw.
  24. Feb 22, 2012
    wow what a great game from my youth! I remember playing this for months on end! such an immersive world created and a great soundtrack to boot! easily my favourite ever ps one game!
  25. Mar 30, 2012
    Superb platformer game, probably the best one on PSX along with Rayman 2: The Great Escape, Croc 2 and Crash Bandicoot games. Spyro can now gang up with 5 other animals/beasts (a monkey, a yeti, a kangaroo, a penguin and even Sparx!) to solve variety of masterfully designed levels and puzzles. The graphics were excellent for it's time, and the soundtrack, produced by Steve Copeland, is aSuperb platformer game, probably the best one on PSX along with Rayman 2: The Great Escape, Croc 2 and Crash Bandicoot games. Spyro can now gang up with 5 other animals/beasts (a monkey, a yeti, a kangaroo, a penguin and even Sparx!) to solve variety of masterfully designed levels and puzzles. The graphics were excellent for it's time, and the soundtrack, produced by Steve Copeland, is a timeless classic. It's a shame Insomniac have sold the rights to this title and focused on producing generic FPS games instead. Expand
  26. Dec 25, 2013
    Bright, colorful, cartoony... this is a great fantasy world to explore. Responsive and solid gameplay with some new features. Spyro is still one of the best platformers along with crash on Playstation.
  27. Nov 15, 2012
    This game is absolutely incredible. Spyro: Year of the Dragon has it all, especially when it was first released. Graphically, it maxes out the PS1. Musically, Stewart Copeland and additional producer Ryan Beveridge did a great job continuing with that Spyro-esque sound with the strummy chords and all that.

Gameplay wise, it excels. There's six (technically 7) playable characters in the game, and they are each very unique. I'll say this: Spyro STILL has the best swimming mechanic and any game, and Spyro the Dragon is probably the best controller platformer in existence. The engine is perfect.

The story wraps up the original series in an efficient way, I just wish there were more great Spyro games like the first three.
  28. Oct 7, 2012
    Spyro 3 it took everything good about the first two Spyros and perfectly put it into one great game with new added features. Amazing levels, smooth controls, great characters this is a game that you can't help but love. By far the best in the series you should really check it out
  29. Mar 22, 2013
    What great level design. The higher difficulty and incredible (for its time) graphics, infectious exploratory gameplay, and colorful visuals make it one of the greatest games on the PS1.
  30. Aug 11, 2013
    This game sucks! CoD for life!

Ok, now that I have your attention, BEST ADVENTURE GAME EVER MADE!!!! (CoD sucks) Great graphics, fun gameplay, compelling story, need I go on?

#4 Most Discussed PS1 Game of 2000
#19 Most Shared PS1 Game of 2000

1. Its true 3D exploratory gameplay, its vast and varied level designs, its colorful cast of characters, and its picture-perfect control create a fantastic atmosphere.
  2. Spank!
    A good, solid 3D platformer that won't disappoint fans of the purple dragon, but may leave fans of the genre feeling a little empty.
  3. Daily Radar
    More creative minigames, a slightly higher difficulty level, superb level design and some of the best realtime graphics the PlayStation has ever seen all make Year of the Dragon a winner.