• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Oct 23, 2000
8.7

1. RoccoRasco
    Feb 12, 2003
    Best of the series, a blast!
  2. Jonny
    Oct 15, 2007
    This game was brilliant. the imaginative levals just make you want to play it through the night. and the music is catchy.
  3. Kasey
    Dec 27, 2006
    This is by FAR my favorite game but I hate those new ones. I like the old Spyro sparx and hunter and the others. Those new ones dont even have the same voice...WHATS UP WITH THAT!?.
  4. MichaelH.
    Feb 26, 2002
    One of the best games on the playstation, a must to all gamers.
  5. AshtonM.
    Oct 18, 2001
    This game is so easy I beat the whole game, and it was incredible!
  6. Bentleytheyeti
    Jun 26, 2003
    Even if I was'nt the main character, I managed to buy a club for Bartholomew of a fat bear so he could beat up that mean Sorceress!
  7. Feb 22, 2012
    wow what a great game from my youth! I remember playing this for months on end! such an immersive world created and a great soundtrack to boot! easily my favourite ever ps one game!
  8. Mar 30, 2012
    Superb platformer game, probably the best one on PSX along with Rayman 2: The Great Escape, Croc 2 and Crash Bandicoot games. Spyro can now gang up with 5 other animals/beasts (a monkey, a yeti, a kangaroo, a penguin and even Sparx!) to solve variety of masterfully designed levels and puzzles. The graphics were excellent for it's time, and the soundtrack, produced by Steve Copeland, is aSuperb platformer game, probably the best one on PSX along with Rayman 2: The Great Escape, Croc 2 and Crash Bandicoot games. Spyro can now gang up with 5 other animals/beasts (a monkey, a yeti, a kangaroo, a penguin and even Sparx!) to solve variety of masterfully designed levels and puzzles. The graphics were excellent for it's time, and the soundtrack, produced by Steve Copeland, is a timeless classic. It's a shame Insomniac have sold the rights to this title and focused on producing generic FPS games instead. Expand
  9. SabrinaS.
    Aug 24, 2001
    Well it is easy and not cheesie. I am 17 and have played all types of games my whole life, and I like Spyro the best. It has some very cool graghics and a little dragon with an attitude.
  10. MarkD.
    Nov 10, 2006
    This series got better with each sequel untill this - the best cutesy platformer on the PlayStation.
  11. Nov 19, 2010
    The only PS1 game better than this one is Spyro: Ripto's Rage. That's all. I am putting more words like this one to meeeeeet the minimum requuuiiirement of 150 charrractttersssss.
  12. Mar 18, 2012
    this game is fun because there's egg you collect and you get then get new dragon which is cool then you can win more and get more dragons this game is cool
  13. Jul 2, 2011
    Ah, yes. The last great Spyro game, and by far the best of the Spyro games. This game has it's share of defining moments from the fun as all hell flying mini-game (hell all mini-games were good), to ramming and burning Moneybags in order to get all of your gems from the bastard, to every boss battle, especially the ending fight, which is still among my favorite bosses ever. It has flaws,Ah, yes. The last great Spyro game, and by far the best of the Spyro games. This game has it's share of defining moments from the fun as all hell flying mini-game (hell all mini-games were good), to ramming and burning Moneybags in order to get all of your gems from the bastard, to every boss battle, especially the ending fight, which is still among my favorite bosses ever. It has flaws, sure, but they are almost unnoticeable due to the greatness of this game. Expand
  14. Feb 2, 2013
    The little dragon that could gets his second sequel, which, unlike Ripto's Rage, a game that completely changed the physics and feel of the series, doesn't really spice anything up much. Spyro controls the same this time around. The thing changed the most from the previous games is the focus on Spyro, as there are FIVE other playable characters. Sheila the Kangaroo, Sgt. Byrd the...The little dragon that could gets his second sequel, which, unlike Ripto's Rage, a game that completely changed the physics and feel of the series, doesn't really spice anything up much. Spyro controls the same this time around. The thing changed the most from the previous games is the focus on Spyro, as there are FIVE other playable characters. Sheila the Kangaroo, Sgt. Byrd the... Penguin, Bentley the Yeti, Agent 9 the Monkey, and even Sparx himself is playable. While it's a nice change of pace, the characters feel like padding, and their levels are the least memorable of them all. Though it used to be my favorite as a kid, I have now seen the light and discovered Ripto's Rage! recently to be vastly superior. While it gets rid of annoying elements from 2, like the "soul essence" in favor of gems, and the double jump glitch, it's obviously Insomniac exhausted all of their ideas into the second, and while this is a VERY solid game with memorable levels, cut-scenes and characters, it's not even close to the greatness that is Ripto's Rage! Expand
  15. Nov 26, 2010
    My first ever video game was the original spyro the dragon for ps1 the whole series of spyro for ps1 is breathtaking this game especially its more than a masterpiece and longer and bigger than the first 2 (which where also amazing by the way) it will make you ply it until you've done everything and got more then 100% this game is a must have if you have a playstation and you're a fan ofMy first ever video game was the original spyro the dragon for ps1 the whole series of spyro for ps1 is breathtaking this game especially its more than a masterpiece and longer and bigger than the first 2 (which where also amazing by the way) it will make you ply it until you've done everything and got more then 100% this game is a must have if you have a playstation and you're a fan of good platformers Expand
  16. M.M.
    Sep 30, 2002
    This is a great game and I highly recommend this to all gamers. The only part that doesn't exceed my standings is that moneybags is still in the game! I don't mind him once in awhile but he's in every level more than at least once. Your practically giving away your gems for one simple move or other things that can be learned other ways. Other than that this game rocks! I This is a great game and I highly recommend this to all gamers. The only part that doesn't exceed my standings is that moneybags is still in the game! I don't mind him once in awhile but he's in every level more than at least once. Your practically giving away your gems for one simple move or other things that can be learned other ways. Other than that this game rocks! I love how sparx now has his own level! Great job! Expand
  17. JonE.
    Oct 13, 2001
    A true breakthrough in the world of gaming. Excellent play and story line. BEST EVER!
  18. May 14, 2013
    Outstanding, amazing and enjoyable classic (although I prefer Ripto's Rage). One of the many games that should never be forgotton and should still be played in the future.
  19. Jan 5, 2013
    Not as good as perfect Spyro 2: Gateway to Glimmer, but still a great sequel. I miss the cutscenes, when you enter the level or get out of level. Gameplay is still fun, even though it gets a little bit slower, when you are playing with other than Spyro. I also like music, story and levels. 10 out of 10.
  20. HillaryG.
    Nov 19, 2001
    I hated playstation. My fiance was an additct to tony hawk pro skater 2 so while he was at work i put in a cd (it happened to be year of the dragon) At 3am i was still playing. I haven't finised it cause i dont have the time and every time i sit down i'm glued. It's like crack. I'm now a playstation addict and spryo is what hooked me.
  21. Dec 2, 2010
    The early Spyro series by Insonmiac Games is probably the best platformer series ever made. Speaking of which, "Spyro: Year of the Dragon" is the best Spyro game. Still keeping its originality, "Year of the Dragon" still changes in some sorts. "Spyro: Ripto Rage" can be too quiet at times but not for this installment. There is a lot of action in this installment. Unlike the previous SpyroThe early Spyro series by Insonmiac Games is probably the best platformer series ever made. Speaking of which, "Spyro: Year of the Dragon" is the best Spyro game. Still keeping its originality, "Year of the Dragon" still changes in some sorts. "Spyro: Ripto Rage" can be too quiet at times but not for this installment. There is a lot of action in this installment. Unlike the previous Spyro games, this game's storyline progresses from time to time, rather than staying stiff in certain sections. We have both old characters back and new characters appearing, as well as more entertaining levels with side missions. This game is very fun, a classic platformer and worth a play. Collapse
  22. Oct 7, 2012
    Spyro 3 it took everything good about the first two Spyros and perfectly put it into one great game with new added features. Amazing levels, smooth controls, great characters this is a game that you can't help but love. By far the best in the series you should really check it out
  23. Gods_Grl
    Mar 25, 2002
    This game is awesome! But it does get confusing when you are trying to get to the next level. Other than that, this game rocks!
  24. Aug 15, 2011
    Goofy graphic style don't seem to date even in this year, seriously thats fantastic. The levels are always a fun adventure that can't be miss. Insomniacs classic series went in a bang that left a nice footprint that can't be removed. I'm glad I played this.
  25. Oct 9, 2013
    Year of the Dragon is yet another fine entry into the Spyro franchise, and unfortunately the last game worth any praise. While there's a few tedious side missions and a few small qualms here and there, Year of the Dragon stands among the best platforming titles ever made, along with the two games before it. Final Score 8.9/10
  26. Jul 12, 2014
    Rarely does a third game come along and become the best in the series, but that is exactly what "Spyro: Year of the Dragon" manages to do. And the funny thing is this: the game sold almost 3.75 million copies (according to VGChartz) despite being released 3 days before the PlayStation 2 was released in America. Imagine how much more it would have sold early in the PlayStation's lifespan.Rarely does a third game come along and become the best in the series, but that is exactly what "Spyro: Year of the Dragon" manages to do. And the funny thing is this: the game sold almost 3.75 million copies (according to VGChartz) despite being released 3 days before the PlayStation 2 was released in America. Imagine how much more it would have sold early in the PlayStation's lifespan.
    Regardless of sales numbers, "Spyro: Year of the Dragon" is a fantastic game that, to me, still stands as one of the PlayStation's best games. Featuring plenty of expansive environments, plenty of minigames, gorgeous visuals that still hold up to this day, the same lovable characters from previous games to go along with plenty of new characters, great voice acting and plenty of polish to the gameplay, "Spyro: Year of the Dragon" is one of the PlayStation's finest titles ever. If you missed out on this masterpiece, go ahead and give it a shot. After all, it is available on the PlayStation Network, so go ahead and pick it up. I guarantee you'll have a blast!
  27. Dec 20, 2013
    A game that amazed me as a kid and amazes me now. I have recently started playing it after about 10 years and it is bring back my passion for gaming!!
  28. Mar 27, 2011
    Insomniac knew how to make Spyro a working game. The game has such a large amount of content and variety of gameplay that this Spyro game was Insomniac's way of going out with a bang. Sure, you have a strange camera to deal with and a glitch here and there, but this game is outstanding. It still entertains me to this day... 10 years after release. My PSone classic downloaded copy of thisInsomniac knew how to make Spyro a working game. The game has such a large amount of content and variety of gameplay that this Spyro game was Insomniac's way of going out with a bang. Sure, you have a strange camera to deal with and a glitch here and there, but this game is outstanding. It still entertains me to this day... 10 years after release. My PSone classic downloaded copy of this game has noticeble semi-common framerate drops. They do not kill the experience, but they are somewhat annoying. Expand
  29. Apr 30, 2011
    Year of the Dragon is arguably the best Spyro game to date. Pros: Fantastic graphics; rich, colorful visuals; charming characters; a surprising amount of depth in level design. Cons: The control and camera are often wonky.
  30. Feb 4, 2014
    If you're childhood was Spyro and Crash then your alike me, Spyro was more of my game though. Adventourus and cherishing, but Year Of The Dragon goes places the small purple dragon has never dared going. You will never bored with this game, never.
  31. Dec 2, 2010

1. Its true 3D exploratory gameplay, its vast and varied level designs, its colorful cast of characters, and its picture-perfect control create a fantastic atmosphere.
    A good, solid 3D platformer that won't disappoint fans of the purple dragon, but may leave fans of the genre feeling a little empty.
  3. More creative minigames, a slightly higher difficulty level, superb level design and some of the best realtime graphics the PlayStation has ever seen all make Year of the Dragon a winner.