Spyro: Year of the Dragon PlayStation

• Release Date: Oct 23, 2000
8.8

1. MichaelH.
    Feb 26, 2002
    One of the best games on the playstation, a must to all gamers.
  2. RoccoRasco
    Feb 12, 2003
    Best of the series, a blast!
  3. Jonny
    Oct 15, 2007
    This game was brilliant. the imaginative levals just make you want to play it through the night. and the music is catchy.
  4. HillaryG.
    Nov 19, 2001
    I hated playstation. My fiance was an additct to tony hawk pro skater 2 so while he was at work i put in a cd (it happened to be year of the dragon) At 3am i was still playing. I haven't finised it cause i dont have the time and every time i sit down i'm glued. It's like crack. I'm now a playstation addict and spryo is what hooked me.
  5. JonE.
    Oct 13, 2001
    A true breakthrough in the world of gaming. Excellent play and story line. BEST EVER!
  6. AshtonM.
    Oct 18, 2001
    This game is so easy I beat the whole game, and it was incredible!
  7. Bentleytheyeti
    Jun 26, 2003
    Even if I was'nt the main character, I managed to buy a club for Bartholomew of a fat bear so he could beat up that mean Sorceress!
  8. Kasey
    Dec 27, 2006
    This is by FAR my favorite game but I hate those new ones. I like the old Spyro sparx and hunter and the others. Those new ones dont even have the same voice...WHATS UP WITH THAT!?.
  9. Jan 21, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. There is nothing to say............................................................................................................................... Expand
  10. Apr 30, 2011
    Year of the Dragon is arguably the best Spyro game to date. Pros: Fantastic graphics; rich, colorful visuals; charming characters; a surprising amount of depth in level design. Cons: The control and camera are often wonky.
  11. Mar 18, 2012
    this game is fun because there's egg you collect and you get then get new dragon which is cool then you can win more and get more dragons this game is cool
  12. Feb 22, 2012
    wow what a great game from my youth! I remember playing this for months on end! such an immersive world created and a great soundtrack to boot! easily my favourite ever ps one game!
  13. Nov 15, 2012
    This game is absolutely incredible. Spyro: Year of the Dragon has it all, especially when it was first released. Graphically, it maxes out the PS1. Musically, Stewart Copeland and additional producer Ryan Beveridge did a great job continuing with that Spyro-esque sound with the strummy chords and all that.

Gameplay wise, it excels. There's six (technically 7) playable characters in the game, and they are each very unique. I'll say this: Spyro STILL has the best swimming mechanic and any game, and Spyro the Dragon is probably the best controller platformer in existence. The engine is perfect.

The story wraps up the original series in an efficient way, I just wish there were more great Spyro games like the first three.
  14. Oct 7, 2012
    Spyro 3 it took everything good about the first two Spyros and perfectly put it into one great game with new added features. Amazing levels, smooth controls, great characters this is a game that you can't help but love. By far the best in the series you should really check it out
  15. Mar 22, 2013
    What great level design. The higher difficulty and incredible (for its time) graphics, infectious exploratory gameplay, and colorful visuals make it one of the greatest games on the PS1.
  16. Jan 5, 2013
    Not as good as perfect Spyro 2: Gateway to Glimmer, but still a great sequel. I miss the cutscenes, when you enter the level or get out of level. Gameplay is still fun, even though it gets a little bit slower, when you are playing with other than Spyro. I also like music, story and levels. 10 out of 10.
  17. Aug 27, 2013
    I shall never forget this game, it brings such great childhood memories, and still is a great game, Year of The Dragon showed something different then the other 2 spyro games before this, well you weren't able to play as different characters and a whole lot of fun mini games. I suggest you play this or any other spyro game that was for ps1, purchase it off of the Ps store today!
  18. Aug 30, 2013
    This is literally among the best games i have ever played.

If you have a ps1/ps2/ps3/psp or ps vita, then you NEED to own this game.

And spyro 2

and even spyro 1.
  19. Oct 13, 2013
    spyro year of the dragon is one of my favorite games for the ps1. the levels are all memorable, the musics great and the 5 playable characters none of which feel tacked on and the story is great. well its a not epic RPG story but a nice simple story that is easy to follow and perfect cut scene to game play ratio. meaning the they aren't too many cut scenes to bog the game down but enoughspyro year of the dragon is one of my favorite games for the ps1. the levels are all memorable, the musics great and the 5 playable characters none of which feel tacked on and the story is great. well its a not epic RPG story but a nice simple story that is easy to follow and perfect cut scene to game play ratio. meaning the they aren't too many cut scenes to bog the game down but enough to have a story that flows thru the game. lastly the graphics for its time the graphics where amazing, colorful worlds and nice to look at enemies and characters. to simply put spyro year of the dragon is a must buy for your gaming collection and hell buy the other 2 ps1 spyro games there pretty good to. Expand
  20. Jul 12, 2014
    Rarely does a third game come along and become the best in the series, but that is exactly what "Spyro: Year of the Dragon" manages to do. And the funny thing is this: the game sold almost 3.75 million copies (according to VGChartz) despite being released 3 days before the PlayStation 2 was released in America. Imagine how much more it would have sold early in the PlayStation's lifespan.Rarely does a third game come along and become the best in the series, but that is exactly what "Spyro: Year of the Dragon" manages to do. And the funny thing is this: the game sold almost 3.75 million copies (according to VGChartz) despite being released 3 days before the PlayStation 2 was released in America. Imagine how much more it would have sold early in the PlayStation's lifespan.
    Regardless of sales numbers, "Spyro: Year of the Dragon" is a fantastic game that, to me, still stands as one of the PlayStation's best games. Featuring plenty of expansive environments, plenty of minigames, gorgeous visuals that still hold up to this day, the same lovable characters from previous games to go along with plenty of new characters, great voice acting and plenty of polish to the gameplay, "Spyro: Year of the Dragon" is one of the PlayStation's finest titles ever. If you missed out on this masterpiece, go ahead and give it a shot. After all, it is available on the PlayStation Network, so go ahead and pick it up. I guarantee you'll have a blast!
  21. Nov 12, 2013
    This is how my love for this tiny purple dragon originated when I was 6 years old when I first played this game. When I turned 9 I got 1 and 2 and took really good care of them 13 years later I still adore this version of Spyro, you can't find games like this anymore.
  22. Dec 20, 2013
    A game that amazed me as a kid and amazes me now. I have recently started playing it after about 10 years and it is bring back my passion for gaming!!
  23. Feb 15, 2014
    One of the better games on the PS1 all 3 of the Spyro games are great and are still great to this day, if anyone has not played these they should get them from the store or anywhere they can, it is well worth the money
  24. Mar 5, 2014
    The Spyro trilogy was my first set of games ever. I never got tired of playing these games. Spyro 3: Year of The Dragon was a awesome sequel to Spyro 2: Riptos Rage! So, practically, this game describes my childhood, along with many others. The game added many new features to keep it fun, but still not turn away from the other two original Spyro games. It is definitely worth your time andThe Spyro trilogy was my first set of games ever. I never got tired of playing these games. Spyro 3: Year of The Dragon was a awesome sequel to Spyro 2: Riptos Rage! So, practically, this game describes my childhood, along with many others. The game added many new features to keep it fun, but still not turn away from the other two original Spyro games. It is definitely worth your time and money to get this game! That is why I give this game a full 10/10. Expand
  25. Jun 17, 2014
    Loved charging around as a little purple dragon. Sure the graphics are from 14 years ago, and the story is basic, but it's just light fun searching for eggs and completing tasks. Nothing complicated or hardcore.
  26. Aug 20, 2015
    The best PlayStation 1 game I ever played. Colorful creative levels, memorable characters, outstanding graphics, tight controls and some of the most addicting gameplay you will ever experience. Holds up so well.
  27. Nov 9, 2015
    As a child I would complete this game over and over again without boredom, along with gateway to glimmer (other favourite). So for that, my rating is extremely accurate!
  28. Jan 19, 2016
    Spyro:Year of the Dragon, succeeds in many places other platformers fail. It has excellent and fluid controls, allowing for smooth transitions between moves, as well as the single best swimming mechanic in any game.
    The game has excellently designed levels with more complex challenges, enemy movements, more colours, and many different stylistic themes including Beaches, Snowy Peaks, Haunted Tombs, Islands in the sky with giant crystals and magicians, A fireworks factory overrun by ninjas and many others. The amount of detail in the levels from the colours, to the Skies( nobody ever talks about the sky ), to the excellent variety of minigames ranging from Cat hockey to Skateboarding and everything in-between, Spyro's gameplay never disappoints. On top of this, there are an additional 5 characters to play as, including a James Bond parody on Sergeant Bird, to a monkey with ADHD and a Laser Gun, all of which control differently to each other with uniquely designed levels and minigames to utilize their unique abilities. Driving all these Fantastic gameplay and design elements home is an incredible soundtrack with upbeat and slightly fantastical melodies, mixed in with various other styles to give each level a distinct and atmospheric wonder that only Spyro can.
    It's charming, it's fun, it's unique, and it's excellent 10/10.
  29. Jun 26, 2016
    The best triology's Spyro games. It must have a 10 score, because it is the game of my childhood, thanks Insomiac to create the purple drangon's singular
  30. Jul 3, 2016
    100% the best Spyro game of all time! Why the gameplay is awesome the graphics are great for it's time and the controls feel free and the platforming really does rival Crash. This game is perfect.

#4 Most Discussed PS1 Game of 2000
#16 Most Shared PS1 Game of 2000

1. Its true 3D exploratory gameplay, its vast and varied level designs, its colorful cast of characters, and its picture-perfect control create a fantastic atmosphere.
  2. Spank!
    A good, solid 3D platformer that won't disappoint fans of the purple dragon, but may leave fans of the genre feeling a little empty.
  3. Daily Radar
    More creative minigames, a slightly higher difficulty level, superb level design and some of the best realtime graphics the PlayStation has ever seen all make Year of the Dragon a winner.