Star Ocean: The Second Story PlayStation

8.5

1. Apr 18, 2017
    Soooooo good, couldn't appreciate it until after the final boss fight but it's on the same wavelength as Chrono Trigger. If you played that game back in the day and liked it, go for this.
  2. Mar 27, 2014
    The greatest Star Ocean game, the last good Star Ocean game, a true RPG classic. I love the complex "private actions" mechanic which allows the player to influence relationships and thus which ending you'll get. There are over 86 possible endings, setting a benchmark.
  3. Jan 25, 2014
    I found The Second Story too mired in archaic JRPG conventions that made the game impossible to enjoy. I wanted to like it, and I did for a few hours, but the prospect of having to grind (and grind some more) to proceed, ridiculous difficulty spikes, content hidden to all but psychics (suffers from "how was I supposed to know that!?" syndrome) ensured I cancelled my adventure 6 hours in.I found The Second Story too mired in archaic JRPG conventions that made the game impossible to enjoy. I wanted to like it, and I did for a few hours, but the prospect of having to grind (and grind some more) to proceed, ridiculous difficulty spikes, content hidden to all but psychics (suffers from "how was I supposed to know that!?" syndrome) ensured I cancelled my adventure 6 hours in. Unexpectedly weak. Expand
  4. Dec 22, 2013
    The battle system is the best thing about this game, it was fun and made grinding a lot easier then other RPG's you come across. story wise however i found that it was left wanting as it slowly built up to an anti climatic finish which seemed premature given events prior to it. The battle system was enough that i kept playing and item creation plus other special abilities kept it fun.The battle system is the best thing about this game, it was fun and made grinding a lot easier then other RPG's you come across. story wise however i found that it was left wanting as it slowly built up to an anti climatic finish which seemed premature given events prior to it. The battle system was enough that i kept playing and item creation plus other special abilities kept it fun. overall it was good but lacking in some areas especially story line.
    graphics 8/10
    game play 8/10
    story 4/10
  5. Mar 11, 2012
    This is my favorite game of all time. Absolutely amazing. Great combat system, lots of interesting characters, good story. This game is a pleasure to play through.
  6. Dec 30, 2010
    if you are wondering why sqaursoft is held in such high regaurd even though now adays most of there RPG;s are half assed all you have to do is look back at the PS1 era RPG's they did and you will find alot that are of the highest qaulity and this game is among them . the story telling is top notch , great charicters . a fun new combat system that moves away from turn based (not like theresif you are wondering why sqaursoft is held in such high regaurd even though now adays most of there RPG;s are half assed all you have to do is look back at the PS1 era RPG's they did and you will find alot that are of the highest qaulity and this game is among them . the story telling is top notch , great charicters . a fun new combat system that moves away from turn based (not like theres any thing wrong with turn based combat) . lots of side quest and a intresting new way to get charicters in your party that are effected by your decisions . great boss battles and some nice challanging ones and a real tough final boss battle that actaully made me feel i had to put some real effort into it . alot of differnt endings which give this RPG alot of replay . a deffinite must play for any RPG fan. Expand
  7. ChrisP.
    Nov 11, 2005
    Absolutely amazing. The combat has tossed aside the boring turn based system for a more challenging free movement system. The storyline has a few cracks but nowhere near as much as other RPG's and it more than makes up for that with the ability to tinker with how your characters feel about one another. The Private Action system allows you to actually interact with your characters and Absolutely amazing. The combat has tossed aside the boring turn based system for a more challenging free movement system. The storyline has a few cracks but nowhere near as much as other RPG's and it more than makes up for that with the ability to tinker with how your characters feel about one another. The Private Action system allows you to actually interact with your characters and learn more about their past, and... well your main characters past. The music, composed by Motoi Sakuraba is some of the best music you'll hear anywhere. Do yourself a favor and try this game out. It might be challenging at first, but the payoffs later on will become so very apparent. Expand
  8. WilliamA.
    Dec 24, 2004
    To me personally i think the game kicks ass. granted controlling so many characters is difficult but after a while it becomes normal. also the gameplay is smooth and the story is solid (and funny depending on who is with you) the private action is a novel idea more rpg's should try to include this feature in their games as well. i couldn't really begin to truly praise this gameTo me personally i think the game kicks ass. granted controlling so many characters is difficult but after a while it becomes normal. also the gameplay is smooth and the story is solid (and funny depending on who is with you) the private action is a novel idea more rpg's should try to include this feature in their games as well. i couldn't really begin to truly praise this game and that's a lot from me considering i'm almost a straight squaresoft fan been playing since final fantasy for nes. Expand
  9. VidM.
    Nov 9, 2004
    Loved the first world. Hated the second. First twenty hours or so are awesome, but by then the game has played itself out.
  10. Mar 11, 2012

#15 Most Discussed PS1 Game of 1999

1. PSM Magazine
    Delivers an engaging adventure for an instant role-playing classic.
  2. I would have to say the single feature that most caught my attention would have to be the emotional points. Started in the original Star Ocean game, it has been honed and perfected in the sequel (I am told it's better in the next in the series).
  3. The problem I found here is that swithcing between characters in your party and trying to control them all at once is pretty hard. It's nice that Enix and Tri-Ace added the option to choose but we feel that the standard is the way to go.