Suikoden II PlayStation

• Publisher: Konami
  • Release Date: Aug 31, 1999
8.4

1. May 16, 2017
    One of the best RPGs ever released, hands down. My personal favorite JRPG along with the Chrono series. Everything about it is amazing, but the story is the great masterpiece here.
  2. Mar 11, 2017
    I never played this when it came out but I have to say that this is one of the more timeless epics in gaming I have ever played. So much of comes to the story of betrayal, corruption, ambitions and even genocide that made me understand how gaming can impact so much of our perspectives. I wish I could score this a ten but I will never know what it's like back when it released. Still anI never played this when it came out but I have to say that this is one of the more timeless epics in gaming I have ever played. So much of comes to the story of betrayal, corruption, ambitions and even genocide that made me understand how gaming can impact so much of our perspectives. I wish I could score this a ten but I will never know what it's like back when it released. Still an amazing game for me Expand
  3. Sep 30, 2016
    By far the best PS1 rpg. And i have played them all, back when they were released. Too bad it was handled poorly by Konami, was released only in 50k copies in NA and wasn't released in Europe.

The story is one of the best in any game to this day, music is great, the graphics are cute and have aged quite well considering it was on the PS1. The gameplay is very good for its time and genre.

An underrated gem, if you can stomach the old graphics, you have to play it.
  4. May 28, 2016
    One of the best games you can find on PS1. A masterpiece for its time and console.
    The story is not without holes, but the number of great characters that are actually designed (by design I mean characters motivations and background) much better than most characters you can find in "modern" video games, this whole castle of great characters is overwhelming.
    The strategic battles are even
    The strategic battles are even more fun than they were in S1, Lots of mini-games, challenging final boss, more options for customization with runes and many other pluses comparing to the first game in the series.
    If you would play this on PS Vita, then this game is a "10" and a must have. My current score is a 2016 score for PS1 game.
  5. Apr 12, 2016
    one of the best games of JRPG from PS1. When i play this game with FF 7 in my chilhood. Is never late for a review for a big tittle like this, i till waiting for Suikoden 6
  6. Mar 15, 2016
    Characters, story and music. It all looks cute. But it's so much deeper. This is easily one of my all time favorite games.
    The game expands on the original and everything looks better and works better.
    The fighting system is simple, but allows for a lot of personal taste on what type of strategy you like.
    And to collect the characters and make the right decisions is so much fun.
  7. Oct 12, 2015
    One of the best RPG i have play in my life! A epic history combine with a excellent gameplay with a amazing graphic and soundtrack! The Rpg world need more ''Suikodens''
  8. Jul 30, 2015
    If there was ever a game to give a 10 to (not just in metacritic terms, but a real perfect 10), this game is it. If you love amazing plot twists and a mature story, deep, relatable characters and want a memorable experience playing an engrossing RPG, this is as good as it gets. This game is the epitome of RPG games. The size of it's playable characters is just simple enough that it becomesIf there was ever a game to give a 10 to (not just in metacritic terms, but a real perfect 10), this game is it. If you love amazing plot twists and a mature story, deep, relatable characters and want a memorable experience playing an engrossing RPG, this is as good as it gets. This game is the epitome of RPG games. The size of it's playable characters is just simple enough that it becomes addicting to recruit all 108 (unlike games like Chrono Cross where it can be a chore). The variety of gameplay elements is a treat--there is a cooking game, you can collect vases to show off in your very own hot bath, the main base grows as you progress, etc. Multiple combat modes (TBS, 6-party turn based, 1 vs 1 tactical combat (similar to that of Uncharted Waters from SNES (a great game I should add), and an amazing Unite system which allows you to mix and match different characters to find cool combos. This game honestly has it all.

It is an absolute steal as well to have this game available for Vita for 9.99!!! Graphics has aged well too, especially on the Vita screen where it is just the right aspect ratio, and you can play it on the go, meaning random battle encounters don't get so tedious. The soundtrack as well has some of the most memorable songs of all time as well! Tracks like "Reminiscence" still give me goosebumps after all these years, and the OST is on the same level as Chrono Trigger, FFVI/IX/X, etc. Finally, the main villian is quite possibly one of the most insane villains of all time (rating among Kefka from FF6, Geoffrey from Game of Thrones, you get the idea..). I would recommend this game for anyone of any age.

To be very, very critical and think about some of its flaws, I would say pacing at times can get pretty slow with a little back tracking here and there (typical RPG-fare), and some of the grammar in the script is a bit dated. But overall, it is a near flawless game. It is sad games like FF7 and Skyrim are so highly acclaimed, but Suikoden 2 is forgotten at times as one of the RPG greats. Even if you don't have access to the first game, this is definitely a must play, 10/10. Happy gaming!
  9. Jul 5, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is one my best childhood memories and gaming experiences. Collecting all the 108 Stars of Destiny was a challenge. It include not only 6 player turn-based battles, but also larger army battles and duels. The mini-games in the castle and customization made it incredibly fun. There were 108 NPC that could join your team, and most were pretty unique and a welcome addition to the team. The game had a good main story which captivated you from the beginning, and many other side-quests such as fighting a vampire army which enhanced the experience further. I enjoyed all Suikoden games but Suikoden II remains my favorite. Hopefully Suikoden VI (someday) is even better! Expand
  10. Dec 7, 2014
    Suikoden II is a wonderful RPG. The storyline is the JRPG version of Game of Thrones, with twists and turns throughout. This game is a must-play for any RPG fan, especially since it is now available on the PSN after being very difficult to find since it's release. Give it the time, experience the cooking mini-game, and recruit all 108 characters. It's worth it, and it was worth the waitSuikoden II is a wonderful RPG. The storyline is the JRPG version of Game of Thrones, with twists and turns throughout. This game is a must-play for any RPG fan, especially since it is now available on the PSN after being very difficult to find since it's release. Give it the time, experience the cooking mini-game, and recruit all 108 characters. It's worth it, and it was worth the wait for anyone that was unable to play it because of it's lack of availability for the last ~15 years Expand
  11. Nov 19, 2014
    Suikoden II in my opinion is one of the greatest RPG's I've ever played, and I'm privileged to be a holder of such a great game which I will explain shortly, the amount of content included in a game of this size is generally astonishing as you can max out over 30 hours on the story alone and still be gasping for more afterwards.

I remember as a child playing this for the first time when

I remember as a child playing this for the first time when RPG's where the FPS's of now; so I played the likes of the Final Fantasy franchise and Shining Force to name a few. So I didn't really know what to expect when playing, I was so attached with the characters and usually the toughest part of the game was selecting a party of 6 characters out the possible 50+ available. Sometimes I would dress up as the "Hero" and became closely attached to sticks that look like Tonfa's.

The game seems a lot like a kids game but that view is quickly dismissed with the dark nature of the story with evil characters who kill helpless civilians and depressing hanging scenes. As I a kid I loved it surprisingly, though the years of therapy to make me socially acceptable again hahaha.

My final review on this game would be to pick this game up and play it, if your an avid RPG fan and if your not you should defiantly give this game a try. You can also buy it as a financial investment because its price will defiantly rise the less and less there are available around the world. I'm keeping mine till the day I die, can't sell a game with such memorable moments plus its 15 years old and had it took long it can move out when its18 haha

Thanks for reading my review of Suikoden II PS1

Ninjo
  12. Sep 17, 2014
    Truly the only game that deserves a perfect 10/10. Not to say that it isn't flawless, but it's much closer to a 10 than a 9. Going to get the flaws out of the way first, because they're nothing major at all and even somewhat expected by the JRPG genre in it's given era. The worst thing about Suikoden 2 is the translation. There's some obviously typos and just awful translations from theTruly the only game that deserves a perfect 10/10. Not to say that it isn't flawless, but it's much closer to a 10 than a 9. Going to get the flaws out of the way first, because they're nothing major at all and even somewhat expected by the JRPG genre in it's given era. The worst thing about Suikoden 2 is the translation. There's some obviously typos and just awful translations from the Japanese original to English (can't speak for Spanish, Chinese, German etc). Apart from that, there's nothing wrong as far as I can tell. While it shouldn't be seen as a hinder to the game itself, it's extremely expensive to play it in a language apart from Japanese at a cost effective price given it's short print run and lack of digital medium. (PlayStation Network)

Music, pacing, flow, learning curve, everything is just perfect. However, the part which Suikoden II shines most in is in it's story and characters. Nothing, can compare. Suikoden II just doesn't have my favourite video game story and character development, but my favourite of any given media medium ever. Chances are if you're reading this, you know of Suikoden II's story, but on the off chance that you don't I highly recommend playing the game as blindly as possible. You will not regret.

It's a shame Konami has abandoned the Suikoden series. Maybe one day we will see it re-released or a Suikoden VI. But I won't count on it.
  13. Sep 12, 2014
    Have to admit that as a J-RPG fan this game has pretty much everything that you could want in a roleplay game. After playing it countless times I find it very hard to find fault with in the experience of playing Suikoden II.

Strong plot, interesting characters (of which most are actually playable, with there being 108 to recruit) and the game is presented so well. A wonderful score by Miki Higashino with memorable and mood setting pieces.

The game has six member part battles much like the original, strategic war battles and a number of mini-games and side quests which can either result in plot based rewards or new characters joining your army of stars.

Suikoden II rates in as perhaps one of the best role-play games I have ever played and is timeless in the fact that I can come back and play it over and over... years after it's original release. It corrects and improves on a number of things from the original though I have to admit that there are some translation errors but it's hardly something that really effects the game.

I seriously recommend picking this game up if you love a good plot and fun characters who will surprise you with depth (especially if you've played the later entries in the series). Konami released a winner with Suikoden II, countless modern JRPGs have tried to match it but so many have failed.
  14. Jul 14, 2014
    Even though it was released in the late 1990's, it is still one of my favorite games today. An immersive storyline, quick loading times, solid soundtrack, fair graphics, and a customizable turn-based combat system make this an enjoyable play. In addition, the side missions are plenty, and most add even more depth to the characters of the game. Getting a used physical copy of this game willEven though it was released in the late 1990's, it is still one of my favorite games today. An immersive storyline, quick loading times, solid soundtrack, fair graphics, and a customizable turn-based combat system make this an enjoyable play. In addition, the side missions are plenty, and most add even more depth to the characters of the game. Getting a used physical copy of this game will cost you over $100 at the present time, but if it does make its way to the PSN pick this game up. It's an underrated classic. Expand
  15. Mar 24, 2014
    So much love for this game, it's like the Chrono Trigger for the PSX (if you forget about Chrono Cross for a sec). This game will look and play amazing until the end of time, ageless masterpiece.
  16. Jul 28, 2013
    Best game in the series. One of the best RPGs ever. Truly a masterpiece, its flaws are nothing compared what this game brings in terms of plot line. If Konami worked harder in this game, certainly it would be the best RPG in PSOne.
  17. May 3, 2013
    Ones of the best games I have ever played, I will always remember this game. Story, game play, yes even the beautiful 2D graphics and music all come together to create unforgettable experience. Must play, right up there Chrono trigger as the best RPGs of all time, maybe even the best games off all time.
  18. Jul 18, 2012
    What words can describe Suikoden II Amazing, Stunning, Fantastic, Awesome, Absolutely Incredible, it's all of this and more i could spend ages talking about the detail, the characters, the city's, the strategic battles and the fun glitches well there is only one of these i know of actually but the thing i think caught my attention the most was the music just superb i love it i could playWhat words can describe Suikoden II Amazing, Stunning, Fantastic, Awesome, Absolutely Incredible, it's all of this and more i could spend ages talking about the detail, the characters, the city's, the strategic battles and the fun glitches well there is only one of these i know of actually but the thing i think caught my attention the most was the music just superb i love it i could play this game over and over there are so many characters to try although some seem useless i am sure they are not this game is one of my all time favourites and it was the first of the series that i played which is funny so Suikoden II it's a name i will always cherish and whenever i hear that song Homesickness i always feel at home. Expand
  19. HikaruS
    Jul 10, 2009
    Masterpiece. No game ever made can beat it's plot, that even with some clichès, makes a genial use of them. Even if you have a new-generation console, you'll not be wasting your time playing this. Solid gameplay and soundtrack, marvellous storyline, charismatic characters(and a great variety of it), beautiful visual for the "magics"(that were implemented in a interesting Masterpiece. No game ever made can beat it's plot, that even with some clichès, makes a genial use of them. Even if you have a new-generation console, you'll not be wasting your time playing this. Solid gameplay and soundtrack, marvellous storyline, charismatic characters(and a great variety of it), beautiful visual for the "magics"(that were implemented in a interesting way), a couple of different endings... With some of it based on the ancient chinese literary, more specifically on "Shu?h? Zhuàn"(Suikoden in japanese, Water Margin in english). So yes, you can expect much of this, unless you are a unbrained action(and maybe childish) games die-hard fan. Collapse
  20. ShionL.
    Oct 3, 2008
    The thing about this game is that you can play it over and over and still find something new. It is such a wonderful game, but I do recommend playing Suikoden I first inorder to get the best out of the game. I love this game, what more can I say.
  21. DanM.
    May 2, 2008
    Amazing!!! This is a game with a good story behind it and characters that just fall into place their own personalities and characteristics. This is a game i wouldn't mind popping in my playstation 2 or 3 and start it back up for ol' time sakes.
  22. CassieB.
    Jan 17, 2008
    I work at a GameStop and have 11 systems AND nearly 250 games (not to mention the ones I've rented from work), so I've played a LOT of games. And out of all the games I've played, this has got to be one of my all time favorites...if not my favorite. The entire game is amazing and for some reason once I start playing I just can't stop. It's a rare thing indeed that I work at a GameStop and have 11 systems AND nearly 250 games (not to mention the ones I've rented from work), so I've played a LOT of games. And out of all the games I've played, this has got to be one of my all time favorites...if not my favorite. The entire game is amazing and for some reason once I start playing I just can't stop. It's a rare thing indeed that I give a game a 10 out of 10, but this is one of those rare occasions. If you even remotely like RPG's, you owe it to yourself to find this rare game. Expand
  23. ShaunF.
    Jan 6, 2008
    I have played an large number of games, in any genre you care to mention, and have never seen any come as close to this masterpiece. It is the strongest in the series by a mile, the sequals cannot match it, and it improves on the already excellent original. Any RPG I play is measured against Suikoden 2, and none have come close to even challanging it. Marvellous graphics, a very engaging I have played an large number of games, in any genre you care to mention, and have never seen any come as close to this masterpiece. It is the strongest in the series by a mile, the sequals cannot match it, and it improves on the already excellent original. Any RPG I play is measured against Suikoden 2, and none have come close to even challanging it. Marvellous graphics, a very engaging story with great depth and a fantastic sound track. I have replayed this game numerous times, and have never failed to be anying but wowed on each playthrough. Truly legendary. Expand
  24. AndréN.
    Nov 18, 2007
    Without a doubt the game I've appreciated the most out of all the games I've played. The characters. The gripping story. The beautiful music. Marvellous! Thank you, Konami.
  25. HuxleyH.
    Jul 8, 2007
    In my humble opinion, Suikoden II is the single best game ever made. An incredible plot and cast, gorgeous graphics (The good thing about sprites is that they age pretty well), an amazing soundtrack, perfect gameplay... this game hasn't been beaten yet, and I doubt it will.
  26. CallieR.
    May 18, 2006
    The follow-up to the original Suikoden enable you to import data from the first game into the second installment. Suikoden II may be longer than the original, but the story, graphics, and high replay value gives Suikoden II high marks on my account.
  27. Seesha
    Dec 9, 2005
    I thought this game was so great. I been trying to perfect the past years and I'm almost there!
  28. ZacharyE.
    Apr 14, 2005
    Iv'e played this game and to me it is so great because it is a mixture of adventure, action and heartbraking tradgedies but my favourite is how you get to use your skills of knowledge when it comes to stratergy fights.
  29. KaraC.
    Mar 8, 2005
    I love Suikoden!! Both the 1st and the 2nd are the BEST!! I haven't tried the 3rd or 4th yet but I can't wait!! I heard they're even better!! lol, see ya!!
  30. VidM.
    Feb 28, 2005
    It just doesn't get better than this. This is my favorite RPG, and I have played quite a few. I play through this game at least once a year and love it every time. I cannot say that for any other game. Truly a masterpiece in storytelling, style, and gameplay.
  31. SamiE.
    Jan 29, 2005
    This is the Beautiful Game. Suikoden II's execution is perfect. Simple, yet elegantly effective gameplay, a multi-layered storyline about people, not politics, and a varied, touching musical score make Suikoden II Yoshitaka Murayama's masterpiece.
  32. Stu
    Oct 19, 2004
    Best rpg ever... seriously, hands down. Slightly better than the first, far better than the third, greatness.
  33. JowyK.
    Jul 21, 2004
    Very good game with a good story and nice anime. Along with over a hundred characters to choose from youll find yourself asking on who will yopu go with or will you left behind coz almost all of them are very cool especially the sexy Ellie and powerful Georg Prime.

#4 Most Discussed PS1 Game of 1999
#7 Most Shared PS1 Game of 1999

1. netjak
    I would place this one up there with "Xenogears" and "Grandia" as the three must buy RPGs for the system.
    A true sequel in nearly every aspect, Suikoden II manages to achieve the rare feat of actually picking up where the former game left off, taking gamers for a familiar ride that proves to be deeper and much more detailed than the original.
  3. Recreates some of the humor and visceral energy of the Chinese novel that loosely inspired it. But the characters and dramatic movement in this story of war are given enough time, thought, and care to come into a life all their own.