Tales of Destiny II PlayStation

• Publisher: Namco
  • Release Date: Sep 10, 2001
8.3

1. Jun 9, 2013
    This is the only Tales game I have, so I won't compare it to the others.

For me, the game was great, with a dynamic battle system, lots of sidequests, hidden locations, optional bosses and whatnot. Also it was pretty long too, which is always good. Voice acting was ok, not anything spectacular, but doesn't hurt the ears either. I like the story (no spoilers!), and -oh- the FMVs are
    This is the only Tales game I have, so I won't compare it to the others.

I like the story (no spoilers!), and -oh- the FMVs are just brilliant. There isn't a lot of them, but they're spot-on. Namco sure knows how to make them epic and memorable.

The bad? There were lots of skits cut out from the English version, and there seem to be a lot of voice files on the disks which aren't used ingame, too. Makes you wonder. Also sometimes there can be a horrendous combination of enemy types, which makes you want to smash your pad/keyboard on the wall (Guitaricle 4x Carvadole, OH HOW I HATE YOU!!!)

Overall, I'll give it a 9/10.
  2. Kutch
    Jul 4, 2004
    This game is really good, there are many games out there in 3D graphics but still "sucks", but this simple 2D game really "rocks". Along with cool anime FMV's and unique battle system the game stands high than other games on its genre. Although you can't control the other characters on battle mode, still you can give them orders on what to do and that style adds more strategy toThis game is really good, there are many games out there in 3D graphics but still "sucks", but this simple 2D game really "rocks". Along with cool anime FMV's and unique battle system the game stands high than other games on its genre. Although you can't control the other characters on battle mode, still you can give them orders on what to do and that style adds more strategy to the game on how you handle your party. Expand
  3. SchEzo
    Nov 2, 2001
    Very engaging story. The battle engine will make you jump on your seat, add that with fine BGM and there, you have a wonderful game.
  4. AdamH.
    Jan 31, 2002
    Excellent game. The graphics are top notch as far as Playstation 1 games go. I also like trying to find that funny wonder chef and I like the active battle system as for sound, well it could be better. The character voices are either too high pitched (Meredy) or too low pitched (Reid). And Keele sounds too much like a girl. I usually just turn the volume very low and turn my CD Player on. Excellent game. The graphics are top notch as far as Playstation 1 games go. I also like trying to find that funny wonder chef and I like the active battle system as for sound, well it could be better. The character voices are either too high pitched (Meredy) or too low pitched (Reid). And Keele sounds too much like a girl. I usually just turn the volume very low and turn my CD Player on. Plus some of the monsters are too strong for being at certain points in the game (I used gameshark and got better weapons and armor and still got stomped.) Other than that, the game is awesome! (Just avoid the tough monsters at the beginning until higher levels and remember to save often) Expand
  5. BleuF.
    Jan 7, 2003
    This is an awesome game! Very fun!
  6. RobR.
    Nov 2, 2001
    This game is extremely fun and interesting. The FMV's are nice (the few they have). And the gameplay is excellent. Its just kind of hard to understand how to use everyone at once. I usually just play as Reid and let everyone else do their own thing while I try and use my Skills. Right now my best skill is Demon Lighting Hammer I've used it 213 times and it keeps getting This game is extremely fun and interesting. The FMV's are nice (the few they have). And the gameplay is excellent. Its just kind of hard to understand how to use everyone at once. I usually just play as Reid and let everyone else do their own thing while I try and use my Skills. Right now my best skill is Demon Lighting Hammer I've used it 213 times and it keeps getting stronger. The same with the rest of the moves. Its great to build up all your moves even if you learn a new one. Get everyone move to at least 100 or 200 like I'm working on. Believe me in the long run it will be worth it. (And also use Dark Bottles to train more) I'm on disk one level 34 and still training until I figure out how to learn TEMPEST STRIKE!! I don't understand what the hell I need to do learn it...Anyways later say something if you want i'm always playing this game and trying to beat the City Circuit which is extremely hard even at my lvl. And the play...I don't know what the hell is up with it but it will cost you mad Gald. The 7th one cost 100,000 and i don't know about the 8th. WELL PEACE OUT!! Expand
  7. NicolasK.
    Jan 5, 2002
    I've played all games, and all games are worth a 10 out of 10.
  8. JiaqianL.
    Nov 20, 2001
    The battle system is fast, attractive, the story is good too.
  9. Greenishio
    Jul 21, 2003
    Despite all those impressive 3D games out there, this 2D game shines!!! The battle system is so exciting that I never gets tired! It's not perfect but all those neat stuff about the game win my heart! I love it! I love it! I love it!

1. A superb sequel to a great original game.
  2. Those looking for an FMV extravaganza need not apply, but if you value the gameplay that really makes an RPG what it is, you'll find a lot to like in Tales of Destiny II.
  3. I’m happy to say that Namco’s fixed a lot of what made Tales 1 annoying while preserving its cooler aspects for their three-disc sequel. [Oct 2001, p.154]