• Publisher: Namco
  • Release Date: Sep 10, 2001
8.3

1. Feb 26, 2013
    The battle system is good with it hidden special attacks and everything but the rest is just generic. Have played better tales of games than this, disappointed me.
  2. Jun 9, 2013
    This is the only Tales game I have, so I won't compare it to the others.

For me, the game was great, with a dynamic battle system, lots of sidequests, hidden locations, optional bosses and whatnot. Also it was pretty long too, which is always good. Voice acting was ok, not anything spectacular, but doesn't hurt the ears either.
    I like the story (no spoilers!), and -oh- the FMVs are
    just brilliant. There isn't a lot of them, but they're spot-on. Namco sure knows how to make them epic and memorable.

The bad? There were lots of skits cut out from the English version, and there seem to be a lot of voice files on the disks which aren't used ingame, too. Makes you wonder. Also sometimes there can be a horrendous combination of enemy types, which makes you want to smash your pad/keyboard on the wall (Guitaricle 4x Carvadole, OH HOW I HATE YOU!!!)

Overall, I'll give it a 9/10.

1. A superb sequel to a great original game.
  2. Those looking for an FMV extravaganza need not apply, but if you value the gameplay that really makes an RPG what it is, you'll find a lot to like in Tales of Destiny II.
  3. I’m happy to say that Namco’s fixed a lot of what made Tales 1 annoying while preserving its cooler aspects for their three-disc sequel. [Oct 2001, p.154]