Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 PlayStation

7.7

1. KirkG.
    Nov 8, 2001
    I bought this game as soon as it came out and I wasn't disapointed. THPS2 rules!!
  2. Gods_Grl
    Mar 25, 2002
    This game rocks! I own 1 and 2 of tony hawks pro skater games. If the third one is as good as this, I'm geting it! This is definitely a must have for all gamers!
  3. Jenn:)
    Jul 14, 2002
    This game is awesome!
  4. KevinS.
    Aug 30, 2003
    Unbelievable!
  5. RafaelC.
    Jun 29, 2005
    Good Game, but kinda Over-Rated by the Hype..
    Jul 24, 2005
    Why does it need a story it's a skating game. Even without a story name a better skatting game!
  7. StevenT.
    Aug 8, 2001
    Ooooh myyyy god!
  8. KarlD.
    Jan 4, 2002
    One of the best games ever for the psx! The playstation world is divided between those who played tony hawk's 2 and those who are going to play it!! Flawless!!
  9. JohnF.
    Jul 31, 2003
    It rulez.
  10. EverettP.
    Aug 29, 2003
    This game was the best sequel of all time.
  11. TomP
    Nov 15, 2008
    One of the best. Still played today. there is no need for a story with such amazing gameplay
  12. HimanchuGiri
    Jun 12, 2009
    Breath-taking, still replayable to this day. Relive the classic game that defined the extreme sports genre by cutting into a slice of a cake knows as Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2. The whole game revamped what was previously thought un-upgradable and maximized it ten fold. The whole concept is awesome and it appealed to both hardcore and casual gamers. An enthralling game that deserves Breath-taking, still replayable to this day. Relive the classic game that defined the extreme sports genre by cutting into a slice of a cake knows as Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2. The whole game revamped what was previously thought un-upgradable and maximized it ten fold. The whole concept is awesome and it appealed to both hardcore and casual gamers. An enthralling game that deserves its 98/100 metascore. May this game be in a video game museum, shelved as one of the best games of all time. It deserves it. Go on, play the game today! Expand
  13. LividFiction
    Nov 26, 2006
    While THPS was an oustanding game, THPS2 guaranteed the series' ongoing success. With new tricks and two new modes
  14. JohnD
    Nov 17, 2007
    An excellent skating game. I have enjoyed this game for many, many years.
  15. johndoe
    Dec 20, 2009
    Hands down, the best tony hawk game ever made.
  16. Jan 24, 2011
    Not just the best skateboarding game made, but the best sports game made. Everyone who played this when they first had a playstation will all have very fond memories of THPS2.
  17. Dec 6, 2011
    This game is awesome! Perfect soundtrack, awesome gameplay and original graphics (very nice for PS plataform). A lot of secret areas and easter eggs to find. AWESOME, RADICAL! THIS ONE TOTALLY ROCKS!! It makes me try to fix my good old PS 1 to to play it.
  18. Oct 10, 2015
    Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 is a game I've been playing a lot of lately. Since THPS5 came around and disappointed just about everyone, I figured it was an opportune time to return to this game after years of not playing it.

The first thing to note about THPS2 is that movement just feels good. Really good. Your character skates along the screen at a breakneck pace, every ollie fees as though it has the correct balance of distance and floatiness. The manual system implemented changed the way this entire series was played and designed by implementing ollie, fliptrick, grind, fliptrick, manual, fliptrick, grind, etc. combos. Bails have an impressive range of animations (albeit canned animations, this was PS1, after all) and hit with satisfying thuds and cracks. Grinds feel the right amount of sticky for this style of gameplay. Overall, simply maneuvering and learning THPS2's mechanics is one of the main, if not THE main draw to the game.

Luckily, there's a solid game backing this movement up. Throughout the game's career mode, you'll have 10 goals to complete through 5 of the game's 8 levels, with 3 levels being designated competition levels. The goals range from high scores, collecting the SKATE letters, finding secret tapes, doing specific tricks over specific environmental hazards, destroying objects, etc. There's a lot to do in THPS2's levels, and the variety you see helps to make for an expertly paced game. Not just variety in the goals, but in the levels themselves. You'll see everything from cold warehouses, to sunny beaches, to schoolyards, to bullrings, so on and so forth.

Instead of simply accomplishing goals to unlock levels, THPS2 revolves around a currency system. Effectively, you're still completing goals to unlock levels, but the trick is, goals are worth varying amounts of cash, with the game's tougher goals being worth more than your typical high score challenge. It's a system that rewards you more accordingly.

On top of goals paying out, there are hidden cash icons to find throughout the levels. There are 12 for each stage, and once you complete the goals for a level, you're tasked with finding them all to cross the 100% completion off of the level goals checklist. Again, rewarding you with more money for your efforts.

Money is not only used to unlock levels though. In between levels you have the ability to spend cash on stat points to make your character go faster, ollie higher, balance more easily, and so on, as well as buying boards with incremental stat upgrades tied to them. THPS2 makes sure that you're always working toward something, whether that be unlocking a new level, board, or the ability to make your skater better, and that's what helps it remain so compelling.

Which is a good thing, considering once you know your way around the game, a 100% run with a single character can be over within an hour's time. After you complete the game, though, you unlock more characters, cheats, levels, etc., with each character having their own unlock tied to them. I must have played through this game a solid 6 or 7 times now, and I still haven't unlocked everything. Thanks to the game's structure, outstanding level design, and solid skating engine, I've yet to get bored with it. I absolutely plan on playing it through with every other character until I unlock everything possible.

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 is a literal masterpiece. It's so close to perfecting the genre that it's hard to believe that this was only Neversoft's second effort with the series. It's hands-down the best arcade style skating game ever made, with even its sequels somewhat losing the magic and essence of what THPS2 was. THPS2 is a 10, hands down.
  19. Oct 22, 2015
    It's a 15-year-old PlayStation game and still it holds up as one of the best ever made. So, uh, props.
    It's not a very good pick-up-and-play game, though. But if you've played any other TH game after this one it shouldn't be too hard for you to learn.
  20. Dec 28, 2013
    The music are so cool,The challenge is hard!Simple this is the best tony hawk game!The skates options are very extense and the game is very long!Hey Oh Let's Go play Tony Hawk's
  21. Jul 22, 2014
    I'm giving it a 10, because if it's music.Because it's the best skateboarding game.Because haters are stupid (u mad bro?).Because it was the reason I'd like to start skating.Because Spiderman is awesome and because I love it... haters hate it cuz they can't make a simple combo...
  22. Aug 7, 2014
    One of the best PS games of all time.This game offers great fun and awesome multi player action.
    10/10.
    Graphics-9/10
    Playabilitie -9/10
    SoundTrack-9/10
  23. Jan 6, 2015
    One of the best games on the Playstation. The Tony Hawk games are always fun and this was a great sequel, sure Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3 on the PS2 took the whole series to the next level but this was the last good tony hawk games to come on the PS1. With a great soundtrack and levels this game would keep you busy for hours and not to mention this was one of the first games that let you buildOne of the best games on the Playstation. The Tony Hawk games are always fun and this was a great sequel, sure Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3 on the PS2 took the whole series to the next level but this was the last good tony hawk games to come on the PS1. With a great soundtrack and levels this game would keep you busy for hours and not to mention this was one of the first games that let you build your own skate park. This game deserves all the high ratings from critics and may I say might be one of the best PS1 games ever. Expand
  24. Feb 11, 2015
    Amazing game in which I have spent hours playing. Just for those who think this is a game that only the old farts with nostalgia like I'm only 16 and I too find this game to be worth 10 stars
  25. May 18, 2015
  26. Nov 6, 2015
    Top KekTop KekTop KekTop KekTop KekTop KekTop KekTop KekTop KekTop KekTop KekTop KekTop KekTop KekTop KekTop KekTop KekTop KekTop KekTop KekTop KekTop KekTop KekTop KekTop KekTop KekTop KekTop KekTop KekTop KekTop KekTop KekTop KekTop KekTop KekTop KekTop KekTop KekTop KekTop KekTop KekTop KekTop KekTop KekTop KekTop KekTop Kek
  27. Mar 26, 2016
    Now this got better. Tony Hawk's skating adventures just got to the next level and it's only for your closest original PlayStation console anywhere if seen.

#5 Most Discussed PS1 Game of 2000
#1 Most Shared PS1 Game of 2000

1. CNET Gamecenter
    The best skateboarding game ever and one of the greatest PlayStation games of all time.
  2. GMR Magazine
    The best installment of the series in terms of control, music, and course design. [Feb 2003, p.97]
  3. CheckOut
    With its customizability, near-perfect gameplay and copious amounts of fun, Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2 is the real deal -- a great sequel and a stellar game.