Toy Story 2: Buzz Lightyear to the Rescue! PlayStation

7.8

1. Feb 23, 2016
    Usually I call movies to be better than their respective games, but this one did pretty much alright for a decent game. Game has different review and rating per system.
  2. Dec 4, 2012
    Not even close to titles like the Crash and Spyro series, but still a pretty fun game. I don't believe anyone would be interested in this game today, but I remember actually enjoying it as a kid.
  3. AprilB.
    Aug 10, 2005
    For a kids game this is horrible. It looks good but is way to hard. I climbed up the tree rope and tried that boring swing to the platforms 100 times and finally gave up never got to the top. There were other areas that were also as annoying and near impossible. Games are supposed to be fun and challenging not boring and frustrating. I'd rather play Sly 2 or Ratchet and clank.
  4. Mar 17, 2014
    Let me start this review by saying that kids will gobble this up. It looks great for a PSX game, the controls aren't perfect, but still rather good, and (maybe because I'm still a kid at heart) playing as Buzz Lightyear is genuinely fun. Definitely recommended if you're a fan of the movies, or have a child that enjoys the movies. (especially since you can pick it up dirt cheap,Let me start this review by saying that kids will gobble this up. It looks great for a PSX game, the controls aren't perfect, but still rather good, and (maybe because I'm still a kid at heart) playing as Buzz Lightyear is genuinely fun. Definitely recommended if you're a fan of the movies, or have a child that enjoys the movies. (especially since you can pick it up dirt cheap, considering it's age)

Also, friendly reminder to other Metacritic users, we do not give anything below a 5 to a game unless it is FUNDAMENTALLY BROKEN.

"Game of the year 0/10" - Metacritic users.
  5. Mar 23, 2017
    The game is fun for a few hours. But after like 3 levels you'll get bored.

The music is nice but because you'll be stuck in a level for a bit longer it will get on your nerves fast. There's only 1 music track for each level and a track for miniboss fights. The controls are solid but the camera needs sometimes adjustment. The level-design is a bit unforgiving, you'll take 10
    The game is fun for a few hours. But after like 3 levels you'll get bored.

The controls are solid but the camera needs sometimes adjustment.

The level-design is a bit unforgiving, you'll take 10 minutes to climb a tree and if you fall down you can start over. there are little puzzles but the games boils down to exploring the map and collecting coins and chips. So every level is in the end the same. There are upgrades that you can collect but i didnt get quite hang on it.

Its a okey-ish game at best. If you have finished all the classic PSX titles then sure why not play it, but there are better games out there.
  6. May 12, 2017
    Let's all just get the disclaimer out of the way now: licensed video games, unfortunately, tend to suck. While there are some diamonds in the rough, often times, developers will make a game based on a license for no other reason other than quick cash. It's the easiest way to release ham-fisted game and still get rich off of it. That said, Traveller's Tales worked their hardest to disproveLet's all just get the disclaimer out of the way now: licensed video games, unfortunately, tend to suck. While there are some diamonds in the rough, often times, developers will make a game based on a license for no other reason other than quick cash. It's the easiest way to release ham-fisted game and still get rich off of it. That said, Traveller's Tales worked their hardest to disprove this theory with "Toy Story 2: Buzz Lightyear to the Rescue" for the PlayStation, hoping to make a game worthy enough to stand next to one of the greatest animated films of all time (and one of my personal favorites). And it's pretty clear that they put in far more effort than most licensed games do.
    There's a number of things to like about this game: it's got solid platforming, catchy music, decent visuals and some really good, interesting level design. The game mostly follows the plot of the first film, but features some unique areas not seen in the film. It's clear Traveller's Tales didn't want to just "release something," they wanted to make something that, if nothing else, could still be a fun play even for the older crowd, and the game is mostly successful.
    It's not perfect, however: while the visuals are pretty good overall, the characters aren't blessed with the most well-animated faces (take note that their lips also don't move), and while it's a fun adventure, kids might be shocked that the game is as difficult as it is. Also, while many of the early levels are great, the final few levels are mostly unexciting, and the game doesn't really end as well as it started.
    Still, if you can find it for a good price, "Toy Story 2: Buzz Lightyear to the Rescue" is definitely worth playing through. It's nothing spectacular, but it's a nice little diversion that I'm sure many people can have some fun with.
    Final rating: 7 out of 10 "Good"
  7. Jan 5, 2017
    I find this a very interesting title in the PlayStation 1's library. It's got amazing graphics, especially for a 3D PlayStation 1 game. The soundtrack and sound quality are also top-notch. The gameplay's a little generic and frustrating, but it's a well built platformer otherwise. I'd say it's a great game for anyone to have on PlayStation.

#18 Most Discussed PS1 Game of 1999
#10 Most Shared PS1 Game of 1999

1. The game is filled with imagination, color and good solid fundamental platforming elements. With the success that Toy Story has generated gamers will enjoy getting a chance to take control of Buzz Lightyear and giving those bad toys a real lesson in butt kicking.
  2. Fans of the Toy Story movies should consider this one a must have. Even without the dynamic characterization and the familiar setting, Toy Story 2 is a well executed arcade title.
  3. An adventure title that is longer than most others. It features 15 levels, with 5 tokens to be collected in each level, mini games, 15 mini bosses, 5 bosses, beautiful FMV's, colorful areas, free movement, and so much more that my fingers can break from writing so much info.