Xenogears PlayStation
9.3

1. Mar 9, 2013
    I admit that after time has taken its toll on this game that it is a bit hard to go back to now with all these new great games out. However, Xenogears still is my favorite game of all time. I enjoyed the story greatly and once you figure out the combat system, it was one of the most fun of its time. Better than the regular turn based stuff from old rpgs.
  2. Jan 19, 2011
    This game could have been the best RPG of all time. It's a real shame the developers ran out of funding and had to rush the second part/disc of the game. Still with all of it's flaw the story is so incredible and the combat is so amazing it puts this game as the second best RPG of all time for me.
  3. Jul 11, 2011
    Not going into great detail but it's been my favorite game since I've played it and hasn't been beaten. A great story and fun unique gameplay. It tried more to be good than to be different and focused on the story and characters than the leveling system.
  4. Dec 19, 2010
    when i played the demo of this game long ago i know this game was gona be some thing special and had to have it day one . i couldnt believe how great a RPG i was gona be playing . RPGS are made great on 1 main thing and thats story telling and intresting charicters and xenogears does it better then any other RPG ive played before it and since after it . this is still the best RPG ive ever played . the story is very deep and there is alot of text to read so if you are not into reading alot of text for story then you arnt a hardcore RPG player. the combat system all be it simple is alot of fun and the moves you can pull off are alot of fun to wach and the coolest thing about the combat system you can fight in a giant mech . the only tiny gripe i have on this game is the magic system is for the most part useless outside of beating the rare enimy who can only be hurt by magic or healing it has no use. that tiny complaint still does nothing to hold back from this game being the best and most perfect RPG out there . Expand
  5. May 25, 2013
    Fighting in a gear is fun but thats all what is special in xenogears. The plot my be good but it is so unbelievable bad paced. The first CD is slow like anything else and the second CD is just skipping from one scene to another, while the main character sits on the chair and tells you what happened and what the group did and where they did go. Thats ridicilous. The battle system is average having minor plus for the gear fighting.Srsly maybe it could have been great game if square had not rushed with the game but it did not turned out to be. Expand
  6. Mar 25, 2013
    What makes a game great? It's not it's flaws, where xenogears have many, it's not the fact that it's dated by the time I played it in 2005, it's not the graphics or the great voice overs. A game is only great if it's memorable, and when you look back all these years you still remember fondly certain aspect of such a game that you can't get out of your mind. Xenogears is one such rare experiences. The storyline, the characters and the soundtrack and the overall feel I had upon completion of the game makes me look past the frustration, the grind, the seemingly rushed pacing towards the final third of the game, for all those many flaws about the game, I felt fulfilled, emotionally and mentally attached to one of these rare masterpieces of our time. The only way to do this game justice is to complete this game yourself and let it etched itself into your memories. Expand
  7. Jul 7, 2013
    It may seem antiquated to give a review to a PS1 game in 2013, but this game needs more credit. The story is simply put amazing, I will make no more mention of it. The gameplay involves playing as Fei Fong Wong, Citan, Elly, amongst others, stacking button combos and building up "deathblows", which are stronger moves to put away enemies (Like Triangle/Cross would activate one, and so on). The combos are limited to how much AP you have on a certain character. This works similarly once you get into the Gears, or what some people know of them as Mechs. I just found this game a very good experience. Although its not for everyone, I would highly recommend it, as you get a really good story, good gameplay, and characters you can actually feel for, even through the very abyssmal Second Disc of the game, where everything feels rushed, but it was still a pleasant experience to end the game. Expand
  8. Sep 10, 2013
    What could have been a terrific game is all but ruined by the fact that it is unfinished in both presentation and execution. The story's premise has promise and is very intricate, but so poorly translated that it turns everything said into a joke, and as such, the poor translation is my biggest gripe. Virtually every other line is at best poorly written and awkward, with dialog that is strange and unnatural. This is very jarring especially in situations with certain characters that should sound intelligent or domineering, yet they just come across sounding like idiots or children. Now at worst, the grammar and punctuation is simply wrong, and this makes it apparent that the game is unfinished. Many times I actually had more fun laughing at the errors than reading the dialog. It's bad. On top of that, the plot is crammed full of elements that only serve to prolong the story unnecessarily, with many interactions being incredibly verbose, repeating things that have been said already and making characters seem stupid. That goes to the poor translation I suppose.

Speaking of unfinished. The game is unfinished. The entire second disk is entirely changed in presentation and told like a story rather than played, which is all well and good because if it were like the rest of the game, it would be another 40 hours and to be honest it was dragging on given the games other deficiencies.

What is good about it? I think that the game was ambitious, and had an interesting premise for a plot. The graphics are crisp and hold up even today. The music has several tracks that I really liked as well.

I recently replayed Xenogears in it's entirety because I didn't finish at a kid, however it unfortunately proved painful to get through. There are plenty of other games from that era and even earlier that are still terrific and I can definitely enjoy playing again and again, but this isn't one of them.
  9. Jan 16, 2014
    Ridiculously good. Ambitious to the nth degree, massive chunks of dialogue interspersed with plot and turn-based mecha combat, a real Final Fantasy beater.
  10. Mar 9, 2012
    Best JRPG ever. I spent more than 400 hours on it and each time i started from scratch it always felt like the first time. Most successful blend of an anime with an adult theme.
  11. Dec 20, 2011
    One of my most beloved old PSX games. Spent hours and hours on this, maxed out all of my Gears, and maxed out my manly adventuring party's gear as well. I still have my 'Creid' Xenogears soundtrack and game soundtrack, to boot.

My only regret is not being able to wipe my memory so I can play it again fresh.
  12. May 15, 2012
    The best game I've ever played. I played it back on 1998. It is 2012 and still the best game of my entire life. Good plot, nice graphics, incredible combat system, long duration and much more.
  13. Jan 23, 2013
    This game has a lot of charm and I wanted to like this game, but dear god this game was so ridiculously long and slow, I couldn't finish it. Put a ton of hours into it though. Wasnt that fun either. It could have been a masterpiece if they condensed the plot.
  14. May 25, 2013
    A beauty. Strong story, a great cast, fun gameplay. Everything just fits together in Xenogears. I just can't resist the feeling of giving this a 10/10. If you love a more mature JRPG with a plot that keeps you thinking even after you've dropped the controller and if you love a game that just nails every other aspect of a videogame, go find Xenogears. You can also download the ISO file or something if you can't find it. Can't wait to see more of the X Series after this and Xenoblade. 10/10:OMG!!! Expand
  15. Jan 20, 2013
    One of my absolutely favorite games of all time. A compelling story-line, top-notch music, interesting combat mechanics, and captivating characters make this an RPG worth taking a look at. Do yourself a big favor and pick this up, it's a classic in my book.
  16. Jun 20, 2014
    Greatest storyline of all time!!! It makes all of the RPG's out there appear childish and trivial. This RPG is a game changers and it will not leave you without pondering the events that unfold within its chapters. I will rest my case with this..... There is nothing else on the beaten path (videogame plots / RPG's) that can touch this masterpiece. People that don't get it, are either simpletons, or just plain impatient. My answer to that..... not everyone is born to be a scholar or grasp things of depth. However, if your the kind of person that has these qualities, this is an absolute must. I gurantee you won't be able to play it just once. The story will keep you coming back, as it does for the rest of us. Expand
  17. Mar 26, 2013
    Fantastic character development. Deep and thought provoking story. Amazing use of camera angles. Squaresoft baked a very unique RPG "recipe" for this title. Think 'mature-Kung-Fu-anime-style- action-RPG with all the usual Side-quests and what not Although the story is delivered rather slowly, I find it gives you more time to be drawn in to the abundance of details and the cinematography. ONLY DIE-HARD RPG FANS will enjoy this tale that was ahead of its time. Expand
  18. Sep 24, 2013
    The Depth this game tried to aim for was amazing, sure the story got convoluted at times and 'slightly' confusing. But that's what you get when you try to pack in half a dozen key philosophical ideas. What in philosophy isn't confusing?
    Still for me trying to understand it is what made me like this game so much and probably rate is as my favorite game of all time.
  19. Nov 3, 2013
    well actually this game is for a 9.5
    but what ever
    Xenogears is a innolvidable story
    with a great soundtrack,great characters and a awesome gameplay
    its so nostalgic. a Masterpiece of Square soft
  20. Jan 23, 2014
    Truly a labyrinthine epic that is worthy of being called a tour-de-force of storytelling in virtually any medium. Xenogears is a cerebral, esoteric, and possibly didactic masterpiece possessing sci-fi and fantasy tropes embedded with the use of intricate philosophical, psychological and religious themes.
  21. Feb 13, 2014
    There are very few games that deserve a 10, and this is one of them.

Not many games and game companies are brave enough to tackle the tip of the iceberg psychology, philosophy, and spiritual concepts - especially in one game. These aspects of the game alone give it a complex story, and to add to it's appeal, there are also concepts of love, class wars (floating city vs. land dweller),
    the age-old gear piloting conundrum, and so much more.

The battle system is turn-based, and allows for upgradable moves based on experience in addition to the traditional equipment upgrade aspect. The other component of battle is an alternate in-gear fighting (and travel) mode which contains a different set of techniques and upgradable moves and gear equipment altogether. Two battling systems in one, each with their own complexities, attributes, and magic.

The characters are easy to relate to even though the story may seem complex at first. It has the traditional "find out where you came from to uncover the story" starting point of now classic, and forgotten RPGs, and each character has a deep and personal back story. The story takes twists and turns and the game has a high standard of replay value because the story takes time to understand. It is clear that the story was developed and written carefully.

Additional details include a card game that can be played as a continuing mini-game, hidden locations, and additional minigames including fighting championships and gear battles.

There is much more I could say, but they surely don't make them like this anymore.
  22. May 3, 2014
    Xenogears is one of those games, the ones that gain recognition beyond belief and send others running away screaming. Many consider it to be the magnum opus of JRPGs, and others bash it down into the depths. I, myself, consider it the former.

The story is something else entirely. Combining nearly every trope in the game, the plot is like a mix between Neon Genesis Evangelion and Final
    Fantasy VI. It aims to analyze various religious, psychological, and philosophical theories with its anime-like characters and their adventures. While VERY confusing to understand the first time, Xenogears' manages to create one of the most amazing tales ever told in all of media. The game will most likely require a few play-throughs to understand all of the messages, but it is very rewarding once you do.

My overall opinion of Xenogears is great. I consider Xenogears to be one of the best RPGs of all time, plotwise, and I do not rate lightly. The plot draws you in and keeps you playing even when it gets confusing, and the music pulls at your emotions. The only thing I could possibly ask of this game is more; more cut scenes, and more depth to the battles. Also, the majority of the game is contained on the first disc, and so little is done with the second disc that the game should have had more in it spread over both CDs.
  23. Aug 23, 2014
    (my score is 9.5) Xenogears is not a game. It's a true masterpiece. Xenogears is the best RPG of the 6th generation of console. Better than Final fantasy VII and especially the VIIIth, Xenogears has the best story ever told in a video game. "Astonishing," "amazing," "emotional," those are superlatives that lends itself perfectly to the scenario of Xenogears. Never the notion of history and the absolute dominance of the latter were not much in the center of the creative process for this work. Just for the story, this game deserve a score near of the perfection. I can't believe that this game lacked of budget because of the shameful final fantasy viii (go check the score i gave to it). Don't hesitate, DON'T take FFVIII GO buy xenogears! Expand
  24. Oct 28, 2014
    Xenogears was supposedly to be the real final fantasy 7! But they changed the idea because the story was too controversial for a final fantasy, and well they sold the FF7 we got instead...
    Probably the best RPG on the ps1 console boasts great music, characters and overall gameplay, but is the AMAZING story the star in here, is a long game that you have to play twice or check after the
    wikis on the net.
    The pace is not the best granted and maybe that could be fixed on a remake and the anime sequences are unnecessary as well. They did not connect well with the game.

This game cries for a remake, leave everything intact just change some interface and graphics respecting the original artstyle, it just dont look so nice now, that problem has plagued MOST ps1 games, at least the ones that use polygons or zoom effects like xeno. (vagrant story another candidate for remake please!).
  25. Jul 21, 2012
    Most overrated RPG of all time. Story is boring, battle system is one of the worst Ive seen, and the characters are not interesting. I dont get all the hype surrounding this game.
  26. Aug 13, 2014
    a piece of crap. The story is far too complex for nothing and the gameplay is a shame (omg the jumps...) there's nothing good in this lame game, beside the music.

1. Has a very deep and engrossing (perhaps blasphemous, hence the furore) tale to tell.
    Xenogears is a must for any RPG lover, regardless of your views toward Squaresoft. With its depth and creativity, Xenogears is my choice for RPG of the year.