Xenogears PlayStation
9.3

1. Mar 9, 2013
    I admit that after time has taken its toll on this game that it is a bit hard to go back to now with all these new great games out. However, Xenogears still is my favorite game of all time. I enjoyed the story greatly and once you figure out the combat system, it was one of the most fun of its time. Better than the regular turn based stuff from old rpgs.
  2. Jan 19, 2011
    This game could have been the best RPG of all time. It's a real shame the developers ran out of funding and had to rush the second part/disc of the game. Still with all of it's flaw the story is so incredible and the combat is so amazing it puts this game as the second best RPG of all time for me.
  3. Jul 11, 2011
    Not going into great detail but it's been my favorite game since I've played it and hasn't been beaten. A great story and fun unique gameplay. It tried more to be good than to be different and focused on the story and characters than the leveling system.
  4. Dec 19, 2010
    when i played the demo of this game long ago i know this game was gona be some thing special and had to have it day one . i couldnt believe how great a RPG i was gona be playing . RPGS are made great on 1 main thing and thats story telling and intresting charicters and xenogears does it better then any other RPG ive played before it and since after it . this is still the best RPG ive ever played . the story is very deep and there is alot of text to read so if you are not into reading alot of text for story then you arnt a hardcore RPG player. the combat system all be it simple is alot of fun and the moves you can pull off are alot of fun to wach and the coolest thing about the combat system you can fight in a giant mech . the only tiny gripe i have on this game is the magic system is for the most part useless outside of beating the rare enimy who can only be hurt by magic or healing it has no use. that tiny complaint still does nothing to hold back from this game being the best and most perfect RPG out there . Expand
  5. Mar 25, 2013
    What makes a game great? It's not it's flaws, where xenogears have many, it's not the fact that it's dated by the time I played it in 2005, it's not the graphics or the great voice overs. A game is only great if it's memorable, and when you look back all these years you still remember fondly certain aspect of such a game that you can't get out of your mind. Xenogears is one such rare experiences. The storyline, the characters and the soundtrack and the overall feel I had upon completion of the game makes me look past the frustration, the grind, the seemingly rushed pacing towards the final third of the game, for all those many flaws about the game, I felt fulfilled, emotionally and mentally attached to one of these rare masterpieces of our time. The only way to do this game justice is to complete this game yourself and let it etched itself into your memories. Expand
  6. Jul 7, 2013
    It may seem antiquated to give a review to a PS1 game in 2013, but this game needs more credit. The story is simply put amazing, I will make no more mention of it. The gameplay involves playing as Fei Fong Wong, Citan, Elly, amongst others, stacking button combos and building up "deathblows", which are stronger moves to put away enemies (Like Triangle/Cross would activate one, and so on). The combos are limited to how much AP you have on a certain character. This works similarly once you get into the Gears, or what some people know of them as Mechs. I just found this game a very good experience. Although its not for everyone, I would highly recommend it, as you get a really good story, good gameplay, and characters you can actually feel for, even through the very abyssmal Second Disc of the game, where everything feels rushed, but it was still a pleasant experience to end the game. Expand
  7. Jan 16, 2014
    Ridiculously good. Ambitious to the nth degree, massive chunks of dialogue interspersed with plot and turn-based mecha combat, a real Final Fantasy beater.
  8. Mar 9, 2012
    Best JRPG ever. I spent more than 400 hours on it and each time i started from scratch it always felt like the first time. Most successful blend of an anime with an adult theme.
  9. May 15, 2012
    The best game I've ever played. I played it back on 1998. It is 2012 and still the best game of my entire life. Good plot, nice graphics, incredible combat system, long duration and much more.
  10. May 25, 2013
    A beauty. Strong story, a great cast, fun gameplay. Everything just fits together in Xenogears. I just can't resist the feeling of giving this a 10/10. If you love a more mature JRPG with a plot that keeps you thinking even after you've dropped the controller and if you love a game that just nails every other aspect of a videogame, go find Xenogears. You can also download the ISO file or something if you can't find it. Can't wait to see more of the X Series after this and Xenoblade. 10/10:OMG!!! Expand
  11. Jan 20, 2013
    One of my absolutely favorite games of all time. A compelling story-line, top-notch music, interesting combat mechanics, and captivating characters make this an RPG worth taking a look at. Do yourself a big favor and pick this up, it's a classic in my book.
  12. Mar 26, 2013
    Fantastic character development. Deep and thought provoking story. Amazing use of camera angles. Squaresoft baked a very unique RPG "recipe" for this title. Think 'mature-Kung-Fu-anime-style- action-RPG with all the usual Side-quests and what not Although the story is delivered rather slowly, I find it gives you more time to be drawn in to the abundance of details and the cinematography. ONLY DIE-HARD RPG FANS will enjoy this tale that was ahead of its time. Expand
  13. Sep 24, 2013
    The Depth this game tried to aim for was amazing, sure the story got convoluted at times and 'slightly' confusing. But that's what you get when you try to pack in half a dozen key philosophical ideas. What in philosophy isn't confusing?
    Still for me trying to understand it is what made me like this game so much and probably rate is as my favorite game of all time.
  14. Nov 3, 2013
    well actually this game is for a 9.5
    but what ever
    Xenogears is a innolvidable story
    with a great soundtrack,great characters and a awesome gameplay
    its so nostalgic. a Masterpiece of Square soft
  15. Jan 23, 2014
    Truly a labyrinthine epic that is worthy of being called a tour-de-force of storytelling in virtually any medium. Xenogears is a cerebral, esoteric, and possibly didactic masterpiece possessing sci-fi and fantasy tropes embedded with the use of intricate philosophical, psychological and religious themes.
  16. Feb 13, 2014
    There are very few games that deserve a 10, and this is one of them.

Not many games and game companies are brave enough to tackle the tip of the iceberg psychology, philosophy, and spiritual concepts - especially in one game. These aspects of the game alone give it a complex story, and to add to it's appeal, there are also concepts of love, class wars (floating city vs. land dweller),
    the age-old gear piloting conundrum, and so much more.

The battle system is turn-based, and allows for upgradable moves based on experience in addition to the traditional equipment upgrade aspect. The other component of battle is an alternate in-gear fighting (and travel) mode which contains a different set of techniques and upgradable moves and gear equipment altogether. Two battling systems in one, each with their own complexities, attributes, and magic.

The characters are easy to relate to even though the story may seem complex at first. It has the traditional "find out where you came from to uncover the story" starting point of now classic, and forgotten RPGs, and each character has a deep and personal back story. The story takes twists and turns and the game has a high standard of replay value because the story takes time to understand. It is clear that the story was developed and written carefully.

Additional details include a card game that can be played as a continuing mini-game, hidden locations, and additional minigames including fighting championships and gear battles.

There is much more I could say, but they surely don't make them like this anymore.
  17. EricT
    Jan 12, 2010
    One of the most intricate plots ever weaved for an rpg. One of the combat system innovators for the jrpg genre, this game is one Squarenix's under appreciated masterpeice's . This game is must have for your collection. The only thing potentially bad strike against it is this game should have been a four disc game, but to my understanding the game's limited budget(thanks to ff8) required them to use only two, and cram as much as they could on those two discs. This will be noticed when you are on the second disc, and do more reading then playing. I don't have a problem with this, but the average gamer might. This is a game that if you see it on ebay or amazon buy it immediately. This game is a culmination of the best things in the ps1 era. Collapse

1. Has a very deep and engrossing (perhaps blasphemous, hence the furore) tale to tell.
    Xenogears is a must for any RPG lover, regardless of your views toward Squaresoft. With its depth and creativity, Xenogears is my choice for RPG of the year.