Corpse Party PSP

8.5

1. Nov 23, 2011
    Amazing game, don't be fooled by the anime appearance.
    This is a true horror game through and through.
    As long as you like survival horror, give this game a try.
    A must have title for psp owners.
  2. Dec 16, 2011
    One of the best horror games I have played in a long time. In terms of gameplay it consists of simple puzzles and moments of intense pacman-esque evasion. It's definitely a game that's meant to be played for the story. It's unpredictability and shocking twists will keep you going till the very last chapter. The sound design and voice acting (although in Japanese) is top notch and reallyOne of the best horror games I have played in a long time. In terms of gameplay it consists of simple puzzles and moments of intense pacman-esque evasion. It's definitely a game that's meant to be played for the story. It's unpredictability and shocking twists will keep you going till the very last chapter. The sound design and voice acting (although in Japanese) is top notch and really sets the mood. Playing with headphones is highly recommended. Being largely a text driven game, it may not appeal to today's ADD Call of Duty gamers. However, for those looking for something unique, original, and truly unsettling it's definitely worth the 20 bucks. Those who say Japanese gaming is dead have clearly not picked up this horror gem of a game. So dust off that PSP and prepare to give the system it's final hoo-rah before Vita's release. Expand
  3. Jun 22, 2014
    Astonishingly creepy and shamelessly violent, with equal and fair indifference to all of its characters, Corpse Party is one of the most, if not the single most, most brutal video attacks on your tolerance for real horror. Outstanding writing, gorgeously violent art, and an exceedingly precise soundscape, with a completely unforgiving, yet appropriate difficulty (you, and everyone elseAstonishingly creepy and shamelessly violent, with equal and fair indifference to all of its characters, Corpse Party is one of the most, if not the single most, most brutal video attacks on your tolerance for real horror. Outstanding writing, gorgeously violent art, and an exceedingly precise soundscape, with a completely unforgiving, yet appropriate difficulty (you, and everyone else around you, *will* be killed, repeatedly, as it should be--who would want a forgiving horror game in which everything is easily escaped?) makes this any horror fan's wettest dream. Spits on pseudo-horror nonsense like Resident Evil, and even Fatal Frame. The Golden Standard for how to terrify the player. Expand
  4. Sep 6, 2014
    **** me. I just watched Pewdiepie's playthrough of this, and all the words have pretty much been sucked out of my mouth with a five-thousand-watt vacuum cleaner. Whenever such a talented group of writers, coders, producers and artists get together and make a masterpiece...I never can fathom the amount of emotional attachment I acquire with the characters. Naomi, Satoshi, Yuka, Seiko (damn**** me. I just watched Pewdiepie's playthrough of this, and all the words have pretty much been sucked out of my mouth with a five-thousand-watt vacuum cleaner. Whenever such a talented group of writers, coders, producers and artists get together and make a masterpiece...I never can fathom the amount of emotional attachment I acquire with the characters. Naomi, Satoshi, Yuka, Seiko (damn it, the manly tears!) and everyone else are unforgettable characters, with an unforgettable and gruesomely real story behind them.

Whatever you do in the coming week, play this game. Or watch Pewdiepie play through it on YouTube, I found it just as, or even more enjoyable.

P.S. I noticed you might die sometimes and would get a 'wrong' ending. You don't want that. Save your game often and try to collect all the information (you should do that anyway, it makes the plot and game that much better).
  5. Feb 25, 2013
    Simple graphics with a great story really makes a difference. That's all i'm going to say.

What? You want me to say something else? Okay, umm.......If I was to beat someone with a dictionary is it a psychical or verbal assault? There, that'll keep you occupied for a little while.
  6. Dec 29, 2011
    Really good horror game, with a very thrilling plot that really hooks you in and characters that makes you pity them as soon as they enter this nightmare: so what's wrong instead? First, "what's going on?" is the question you'll do more often: it's really easy to die in this game (but it's a part of the secrets), but yet i RARELY see what's happening and there's usually a line of textReally good horror game, with a very thrilling plot that really hooks you in and characters that makes you pity them as soon as they enter this nightmare: so what's wrong instead? First, "what's going on?" is the question you'll do more often: it's really easy to die in this game (but it's a part of the secrets), but yet i RARELY see what's happening and there's usually a line of text telling me that. Yes there are moments where it shows the images of them but...I want to see what's going on! I don't ask for images of dead corpses but at least what's happening, some imagery of the scene it's the vital part of this kind of games: this to me was a very annoying flaw, but as I said the text lines explains (actually very well and detailed) but I want to see what's happening more often, not just read it. And second: you can't skip any single dialogue of the entire game: if you die after a LONG cutscene...you'll have to see all of it again....just why? As i said it's so easy to die, which means you'll see some of the actions and events you just did over and over, and this is a PART of the game...and yet no skipping feature?!
    That's actually all to me: it's a great psp horror game and yeah even if graphics are dated I don't give much bother; the voice acting is left in (a very good) japanese so for those who love the original dubs (I don't, but i don't hate either) it's a plus: buy it if you like horror games with very (VERY) thrilling plots and and scenery.
  7. Nov 23, 2011
    Pues a mi si me saco sustos o.o . Estilo de RPG antiguo pero con tantos factores en su desarrollo, el miedo que van generando en los personajes, las decisiones rapidas que hay que tomar, hasta la decision mas casual puede llevarte a un final malo. Pero si sabes moverte con suerte llegaras al final del capitulo......entre comillas final "bueno"
  8. Dec 30, 2011
    Great game and easily the PSP's swan song. It's not for everyone as the game is VERY depressing, even the 'happy' ending has a depressing undertone. This game will definitely take you on an emotional roller coaster filled with more downs than ups. On the technical side of things, the biggest problem is that the game only occasionally tells you what to do next. Most of the time yourGreat game and easily the PSP's swan song. It's not for everyone as the game is VERY depressing, even the 'happy' ending has a depressing undertone. This game will definitely take you on an emotional roller coaster filled with more downs than ups. On the technical side of things, the biggest problem is that the game only occasionally tells you what to do next. Most of the time your wondering around the halls of the school frantically smashing the X button trying to find that one small thing you missed an hour ago. It can get very bad at some points in the game and you can spend quite a bit of time not knowing where to go or how to get to that point. Other than that though there really isn't much to this game other than watching the very depressing story and wondering if any of the characters will actually live through the game. Don't play this game if your feeling depressed for any reason and don't play this game without some semblance of a guide and don't feel bad if you do use one. There literally is no skill involved in this game other than some brainless puzzles that don't have any impact on the story. Just watch your emotional state when playing this game. It can be a real downer at times but if you can get by that, you'll easily find a great horror game, one that deserves to be played. Also you'll only find this as a download on the PSN and NOT on an actual UMD so don't go around looking for this at stores. Expand
  9. Dec 27, 2011
    Awful graphics and extremely outdated gameplay, but definitely a great game. Voice acting and SFX are great, music is superb and the story although full of cliches, is very absorbing and well elaborated.

You'll be trapped with this game until you finish it.

RECOMMENDED
  10. Jan 3, 2012
    It's already been said here but I'll say it again. One of the best Horror games I have ever played. The story, the dialogue, the characters, the many endings, all great. It's genuinely disturbing and even though I beat it almost a week ago I'm still thinking about it. Don't let the top down 16-bit RPG look fool you, this game is scarier then any Resident Evil or Silent Hill. Best 20 bucksIt's already been said here but I'll say it again. One of the best Horror games I have ever played. The story, the dialogue, the characters, the many endings, all great. It's genuinely disturbing and even though I beat it almost a week ago I'm still thinking about it. Don't let the top down 16-bit RPG look fool you, this game is scarier then any Resident Evil or Silent Hill. Best 20 bucks you'll ever spend on a game. Expand
  11. Feb 4, 2012
    This is one of the best horror games I'd played for such a long time. Even though Corpse Party is not totally similar to survival horror games like old Resident Evil and Silent Hills, it involves light puzzle solving, exploration & best of all, a great atmosphere.

Corpse Party is a must play game for fans of true survival horror games along with visual novel lovers.
  12. Oct 5, 2015
    I was never a fan of horror games, mostly because I am a wuss. This is an exception though. I loved every minute of it. The story is gripping and leaves you wondering how it will all end. Obviously it doesn't technically end... since there are sequels. Point being, this is a unique game in that there isn't much gameplay, as all you do is walk around and inspect objects. The story drivesI was never a fan of horror games, mostly because I am a wuss. This is an exception though. I loved every minute of it. The story is gripping and leaves you wondering how it will all end. Obviously it doesn't technically end... since there are sequels. Point being, this is a unique game in that there isn't much gameplay, as all you do is walk around and inspect objects. The story drives the game along, though, which as I already said is great. The game also features multiple endings with extra chapters that expand on the story, which gives it a lot of replay value. For any horror fans who also like anime or are just looking for a great story-driven title, try this one out. Expand
  13. Sep 28, 2012
    This is one of my fave games on psp.. so far :) i do not own that many psp games yet ,but i have to say that this was one of the best i have played yet. Its actually a pretty scary game, especially if you play it alone at night. There are five chapters in all and in my opinion Chapter 1 and 5 are the creepiest. In each chapter there is the possibility of getting a wrong ending so you haveThis is one of my fave games on psp.. so far :) i do not own that many psp games yet ,but i have to say that this was one of the best i have played yet. Its actually a pretty scary game, especially if you play it alone at night. There are five chapters in all and in my opinion Chapter 1 and 5 are the creepiest. In each chapter there is the possibility of getting a wrong ending so you have to make sure to save a couple of different files or you will have to start the chapter from the start . This can get very annoying and is one of the reasons i have marked the game down a little. It is based around a fairly big story so there is a lot of dialogue and you cannot skip past this dialogue if you get a wrong ending and have to start from the beginning. I really loved the story and the anime art. The ghosts are done brilliantly, the game is pretty graphic especially in chapter 1 and 5 . I also marked the game down because when you die there are very long death scenes where it is actually jst quicker to restart the whole game then wait for your character to die. I also didnt really like the ending the correct one that is, i thought it was a bit unbelievable and let the game down. Anyway for just 10 euro on the ps store i would defo recommend it, for horror/anime lovers it is a must have also people who enjoy puzzles will love this. i had fun playing it and was sorry when it was over :) Expand
  14. Jun 28, 2013
    Opening Statement:
    Opening Statement:
    As a writer in training, I love stories. I love trying to figure out, what well happen next. Corpse Party, is one of those games, that kept me guessing the whole way through. It's a game that focuses more on the story, then the gameplay, and it's very anime like. Those of you who hate anime, don't this turn you off of the game. True, that it is very anime like, but it's a true survival horror game.

Plot Summary:
    It's about these high school kids and their teacher, who are having a farewell party for one of their friends who is moving away. One of the kids, suggests to preform the Sachiko Ever After charm, so that they can be close to each other, even when they are far apart. Something goes wrong, and they get sent to a place called Heavenly Host Elementary School, where a series of murders toke place. People who are sent to the school die, and become part of it, then kill the other people who are trapped their.

Gameplay:
    It take about 30-40 minutes to start the gameplay. Like I said before, it mainly focuses on the story. What you do in this game, is go around the school, pressing the X button, to interact with objects, to get through the school. However, if you mess up somewhere, then you get something called a Wrong End, which is this game's way of saying "Game Over". However, if you are going for 100%, then you have to get all of the wrong endings.

There are moments, where the computer AI will chase you, however they are really dumb. It is really hard to get caught by the computer AI. I don't think that this is a bug or something. I think that the creators did this, so that you wouldn't have to worry about getting caught by the AI, as much as other games.

Music and Voice Overs:
    The music fits the game perfectly. It's both creepy, and memorable. Sometimes, it can even freak you out. They say that music makes a movie, or a video game, and this proves it!

As for the voice overs, the voice actors do a good job here. I don't think, that they needed to add any English VAs, cause the Japanese VAs do a really good job (I prefer Japanese voice overs anyway).

Final Thoughts:
    The game may turn some people off, because it's mainly focused on the story, and not the gameplay, and it takes a least half an hour to get to the gameplay in the first place. It's not a problem with me, as long as the story is good enough. I should warn you right now, if you don't like reading, horror games, or only care about the gameplay, then Corpse Party isn't for you. If you do decide to pick the game up, be forewarned, you may get freaked out a couple of times.

Now, again with my Project X Zone review, I would give this game an 8.4 out of 10, but I can't with this website, so I'm kinda forced to give it an 8. I'm sorry.
  15. Oct 27, 2015
    Amazing horror game, very fun, very creepy. This game can honestly stand alone without it's sequels and be a fantastic experience. I legitimately couldn't put this title down once I started.
  16. Jun 7, 2015
    With wonderful writing, intense atmosphere and astonishing presentation, which includes an awesome soundtrack and AMAZING voice acting, Corpse Party on the PSP is one of the best experiences you can have on the console. The highlight is definitely the story, which is full of crazy and intense plot twists and some of the most brutal gorgeously drawn imagery. The plot will always keep you onWith wonderful writing, intense atmosphere and astonishing presentation, which includes an awesome soundtrack and AMAZING voice acting, Corpse Party on the PSP is one of the best experiences you can have on the console. The highlight is definitely the story, which is full of crazy and intense plot twists and some of the most brutal gorgeously drawn imagery. The plot will always keep you on edge 100% of the time with a lot of instances where you have to react fast or suffer one of the many wrong ends. Do not be fooled by the people who say that anime is for kids. While the ending may not be the most satisfying one, there's the 2 sequels Corpse Party: Book of Shadows and Blood Drive (which is coming later this fall) for that. HIGHLY recommended! Truly this is one of the reasons the PSP did not completely fail. Expand
  17. Jul 13, 2015
    Now when I first saw the game's title, I thought it would be another dumb RPG maker horror game. But don't let the graphics fool you, because this game will shock you on how well made it is. The writing and the dialogue in this game left me speechless. The mood was set by amazing writing and surprisingly good voice actors. But this game has done something that no game has done before; ItNow when I first saw the game's title, I thought it would be another dumb RPG maker horror game. But don't let the graphics fool you, because this game will shock you on how well made it is. The writing and the dialogue in this game left me speechless. The mood was set by amazing writing and surprisingly good voice actors. But this game has done something that no game has done before; It made me care about the characters and hope for their well-being. Another thing that I liked about this title is it's length. It wasn't a game that you could finish in one sitting. It was a game that took it's time and allowed the story to develop in a good fashion. Since it is a horror game after all, it did have good scares every now and again. But please don't look at this as only a horror game. You would be doing you and the game a MAJOR disfavor. This game has a good plot, unique characters that you will feel for and maybe even relate to, a brutal villain that you will either love or hate depending on how you view her, and surprises that await you every corner and leave you on the edge of your seat. Don't ignore this game by the critics and their reviews. If you enjoy the things I just said, please play or watch a play-through on this game. You're not going to regret it, trust me. Expand
  18. Dec 11, 2015
    A true experience of horror and loathing as it suddenly takes characters that you are attached away and does it in the most brutal way possible. Although it makes you walk around Heavenly Host Elementary looking for something for long periods of time (which is the only reason why I'm giving this an eight instead of a ten) its puzzles are smart and require some knowledge on certain topics.A true experience of horror and loathing as it suddenly takes characters that you are attached away and does it in the most brutal way possible. Although it makes you walk around Heavenly Host Elementary looking for something for long periods of time (which is the only reason why I'm giving this an eight instead of a ten) its puzzles are smart and require some knowledge on certain topics. It's very difficult and requires some skilled fingers and previous experience. Although the game has its silly, often awkward moments (for example: panty shots, and accidental breast grabbing), and uses typical anime visuals for all still shots (which I don't fully appreciate). The dialogue is heavily descriptive but some-what unrealistic (but I won't give it a hard time on that because, well it's Corpse Party). The voice acting sounds alive, real, and sounds like a lot of effort went into it (even to a person who can't understand Japanese language). It's simple in game mechanics (although it would be nice if there was a run option) as it doesn't go far into the "Butterfly Effect" mechanic (but uses the ending results of certain choices in the sequel, Book of Shadows, which I think is pretty smart) , and doesn't have any special mechanics, just move and make certain choices occasionally; the later sequels add special mechanics such as character switching in Blood Drive and Darkening in both Book of Shadows and Blood Drive (although this game does have darkening, it's used as a story element, not a status effect). A big negative about it is the MPC A.I. which sucks to the core; MPC's would get stuck in certain in notches and try to move though it to get you (which is a sign that they were programmed to simply follow you and don't have any programming that tells them to move to an available medium to get you, which is actually added in later titles). All-in-all it's a charming, creepy, and emotional game that requires a bit of skill and knowledge to complete; it needs a bit of work in some areas but it is still great. Expand
  19. Dec 29, 2011

#3 Most Discussed PSP Game of 2011
#3 Most Shared PSP Game of 2011

1. Feb 27, 2012
    If you're going to spend the $20 on Corpse Party, it is very important to know what you're getting into. This is not a "game," but an interactive novel with video game elements that, for the most part, aren't very good. You will get frustrated and lost a few times, but if you stick with it and keep a cool head, Corpse Party will reward you with an unsettling story that will keep you on the edge of your seat. The game doesn't shy away from violence so be prepared to sit through some really disturbing and uncomfortable moments.
  2. games(TM)
    Jan 29, 2012
    It's extremely rare that a game would be better with less gameplay. [Issue#118, p.113]
  3. Jan 10, 2012
    Corpse Party proves that a minimalistic approach can get some of the best results when it comes to horror. If a little blood gets you weak in the knees, this game is not for you.