8.6

1. Sep 6, 2014
    **** me. I just watched Pewdiepie's playthrough of this, and all the words have pretty much been sucked out of my mouth with a five-thousand-watt vacuum cleaner. Whenever such a talented group of writers, coders, producers and artists get together and make a masterpiece...I never can fathom the amount of emotional attachment I acquire with the characters. Naomi, Satoshi, Yuka, Seiko (damn it, the manly tears!) and everyone else are unforgettable characters, with an unforgettable and gruesomely real story behind them.

Whatever you do in the coming week, play this game. Or watch Pewdiepie play through it on YouTube, I found it just as, or even more enjoyable.

P.S. I noticed you might die sometimes and would get a 'wrong' ending. You don't want that. Save your game often and try to collect all the information (you should do that anyway, it makes the plot and game that much better).
  2. Jun 22, 2014
    Astonishingly creepy and shamelessly violent, with equal and fair indifference to all of its characters, Corpse Party is one of the most, if not the single most, most brutal video attacks on your tolerance for real horror. Outstanding writing, gorgeously violent art, and an exceedingly precise soundscape, with a completely unforgiving, yet appropriate difficulty (you, and everyone else around you, *will* be killed, repeatedly, as it should be--who would want a forgiving horror game in which everything is easily escaped?) makes this any horror fan's wettest dream. Spits on pseudo-horror nonsense like Resident Evil, and even Fatal Frame. The Golden Standard for how to terrify the player. Expand
  3. Feb 10, 2014
    Corpse Party - I saw a reference to this game on STEAM and decided to give it a go. After looking online I managed to find the website for the game and was able to investigate a little bit more into the game. More importantly the original Corpse Party was actually designed in RPG Maker in the 90's and it's glaring problems are a direct result of that, namely poor writing, bad design and complete lack of game-play.

I want to be perfectly clear, the website that advertises Corpse Party is incredibly misleading. In it, the game gives you the feeling that it is more of a gruesome, survival horror, adventure, RPG game. Further is misleads people by advertising features such as constantly changing paths, maps or branches of the school.

The entire game is incredibly static. Do not expect the maps to shift or change on you at any given time. The only time the maps are even remotely altered is when a plot device requires it and even then, the most the maps do is simply redirect your routes, nothing more.

Beyond that, don't let the idea of having an inventory, save system or even "HP" fool you, this game is the furthest thing from a RPG you'll ever get. It is more of an interactive novel, much like a 'Choose Your Own Adventure' book.

The problem is, the game is far too much like those books, in the fact you can expect and most likely will experience completely unfair and unannounced deaths that are in no way the fault of player in any sense. Stupid, thoughtless death traps that give no indicators at all are scattered throughout the game, forcing you to start over.

Speaking of starting over, the save system is fairly limited, few and far between. Expect to be back tracking a lot to save once you understand how annoying and long winded this game is. It wouldn't be so bad if you could just pick up from where you last left off, but when a death sequence takes several minutes to get through and you repeat it several times, it gets frustrating beyond belief.

There are no in game animations, almost everything is completely static besides character animations and even then, they are stiff and lifeless. The game suffers from an incredible lack of details, which can be especially bad when considering you are dealing with a survival horror adventure game. The game advertises itself as being incredibly gory and gruesome, but that is simply not true.

Even when considering this as a visual novel, it barely even passes. A lot of the time, writing is dry, long winded and annoying. More often then not, you'll find yourself simply mashing on the 'X' button of your PSP simply so you can get through their bull crap.

What really sucks is, I've been given the impression that the original 90's version of Corpse Party actually has more game-play and RPG elements then the PSP version. How the hell did that happen?
  4. Jun 28, 2013
    Opening Statement:
    As a writer in training, I love stories. I love trying to figure out, what well happen next. Corpse Party, is one of those games, that kept me guessing the whole way through. It's a game that focuses more on the story, then the gameplay, and it's very anime like. Those of you who hate anime, don't this turn you off of the game. True, that it is very anime like, but it's
    a true survival horror game.

Plot Summary:
    It's about these high school kids and their teacher, who are having a farewell party for one of their friends who is moving away. One of the kids, suggests to preform the Sachiko Ever After charm, so that they can be close to each other, even when they are far apart. Something goes wrong, and they get sent to a place called Heavenly Host Elementary School, where a series of murders toke place. People who are sent to the school die, and become part of it, then kill the other people who are trapped their.

Gameplay:
    It take about 30-40 minutes to start the gameplay. Like I said before, it mainly focuses on the story. What you do in this game, is go around the school, pressing the X button, to interact with objects, to get through the school. However, if you mess up somewhere, then you get something called a Wrong End, which is this game's way of saying "Game Over". However, if you are going for 100%, then you have to get all of the wrong endings.

There are moments, where the computer AI will chase you, however they are really dumb. It is really hard to get caught by the computer AI. I don't think that this is a bug or something. I think that the creators did this, so that you wouldn't have to worry about getting caught by the AI, as much as other games.

Music and Voice Overs:
    The music fits the game perfectly. It's both creepy, and memorable. Sometimes, it can even freak you out. They say that music makes a movie, or a video game, and this proves it!

As for the voice overs, the voice actors do a good job here. I don't think, that they needed to add any English VAs, cause the Japanese VAs do a really good job (I prefer Japanese voice overs anyway).

Final Thoughts:
    The game may turn some people off, because it's mainly focused on the story, and not the gameplay, and it takes a least half an hour to get to the gameplay in the first place. It's not a problem with me, as long as the story is good enough. I should warn you right now, if you don't like reading, horror games, or only care about the gameplay, then Corpse Party isn't for you. If you do decide to pick the game up, be forewarned, you may get freaked out a couple of times.

Now, again with my Project X Zone review, I would give this game an 8.4 out of 10, but I can't with this website, so I'm kinda forced to give it an 8. I'm sorry.
  5. Feb 25, 2013
    Simple graphics with a great story really makes a difference. That's all i'm going to say.

What? You want me to say something else? Okay, umm.......If I was to beat someone with a dictionary is it a psychical or verbal assault? There, that'll keep you occupied for a little while.
  6. Sep 28, 2012
    This is one of my fave games on psp.. so far :) i do not own that many psp games yet ,but i have to say that this was one of the best i have played yet. Its actually a pretty scary game, especially if you play it alone at night. There are five chapters in all and in my opinion Chapter 1 and 5 are the creepiest. In each chapter there is the possibility of getting a wrong ending so you have to make sure to save a couple of different files or you will have to start the chapter from the start . This can get very annoying and is one of the reasons i have marked the game down a little. It is based around a fairly big story so there is a lot of dialogue and you cannot skip past this dialogue if you get a wrong ending and have to start from the beginning. I really loved the story and the anime art. The ghosts are done brilliantly, the game is pretty graphic especially in chapter 1 and 5 . I also marked the game down because when you die there are very long death scenes where it is actually jst quicker to restart the whole game then wait for your character to die. I also didnt really like the ending the correct one that is, i thought it was a bit unbelievable and let the game down. Anyway for just 10 euro on the ps store i would defo recommend it, for horror/anime lovers it is a must have also people who enjoy puzzles will love this. i had fun playing it and was sorry when it was over :) Expand
  7. Feb 23, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A fantastic game almost ruined by its horrible ending. I loved this game, I loved the voice acting, the soundtrack, the story, everything! Except when I got to the end. This is obviously a huge spoiler, so reader beware. So at the end of the game, you find out that the Nexus makes it so that anyone who dies in the Nexus doesn't exist anymore. First off, that makes no sense, second of all, that's a terrible writing choice. It was pretty much there way of ending the game without having to worry about any loose ends like "Oh hey, where did my kid go?" So obviously, if they didn't exist, then any of the events before the Nexus probably couldn't have happened, right? And if you say it only effects things after they die, then how do the parent explain having an entire bedroom devoted to someone who never existed? Another reason this ending makes no sense is because Naho Saenoki (the creepy paranormal girl) purposefully wrote the wrong instructions on her website so more kids would get killed. But Naho dies in the Nexus. See where I'm going with this? SHE DOESN'T EXIST. Her website doesn't exist! So none of this COULD have happened! This is one of the reasons I always hate the "this never happened" endings in video games, it's messy and it's lazy. Finally, plot holes aside, the biggest reason I hated this ending was because at the very end, the VERY end, when you kill the big bad, and you've spent the entire game trying to save the freaking world, The ghost girl just straight up tells you "Nope! That thing I said would work? Yeah, it won't! All your friends are going to be in Hell now!" That was a low blow. It's not just because you can't save everyone that makes me mad, it's because the game TOLD you you could, and that was the goal of the entire latter half of the game. It's like playing Majora's Mask, only to have the moon kill everyone in the world no matter what you do. I was also attached to the characters, and the teacher's bonus chapter made me very sad in particular. Like I said, I REALLY loved the rest of this game, but that was such a low blow that it ruined it for me right at the end. So yeah, everyone goes to hell, and it's gonna happen forever. Thanks game. Expand
  8. Feb 4, 2012
    This is one of the best horror games I'd played for such a long time. Even though Corpse Party is not totally similar to survival horror games like old Resident Evil and Silent Hills, it involves light puzzle solving, exploration & best of all, a great atmosphere.

Corpse Party is a must play game for fans of true survival horror games along with visual novel lovers.
  9. Jan 3, 2012
    It's already been said here but I'll say it again. One of the best Horror games I have ever played. The story, the dialogue, the characters, the many endings, all great. It's genuinely disturbing and even though I beat it almost a week ago I'm still thinking about it. Don't let the top down 16-bit RPG look fool you, this game is scarier then any Resident Evil or Silent Hill. Best 20 bucks you'll ever spend on a game. Expand
  10. Dec 30, 2011
    Great game and easily the PSP's swan song. It's not for everyone as the game is VERY depressing, even the 'happy' ending has a depressing undertone. This game will definitely take you on an emotional roller coaster filled with more downs than ups. On the technical side of things, the biggest problem is that the game only occasionally tells you what to do next. Most of the time your wondering around the halls of the school frantically smashing the X button trying to find that one small thing you missed an hour ago. It can get very bad at some points in the game and you can spend quite a bit of time not knowing where to go or how to get to that point. Other than that though there really isn't much to this game other than watching the very depressing story and wondering if any of the characters will actually live through the game. Don't play this game if your feeling depressed for any reason and don't play this game without some semblance of a guide and don't feel bad if you do use one. There literally is no skill involved in this game other than some brainless puzzles that don't have any impact on the story. Just watch your emotional state when playing this game. It can be a real downer at times but if you can get by that, you'll easily find a great horror game, one that deserves to be played. Also you'll only find this as a download on the PSN and NOT on an actual UMD so don't go around looking for this at stores. Expand
  11. Dec 29, 2011
    Really good horror game, with a very thrilling plot that really hooks you in and characters that makes you pity them as soon as they enter this nightmare: so what's wrong instead? First, "what's going on?" is the question you'll do more often: it's really easy to die in this game (but it's a part of the secrets), but yet i RARELY see what's happening and there's usually a line of text telling me that. Yes there are moments where it shows the images of them but...I want to see what's going on! I don't ask for images of dead corpses but at least what's happening, some imagery of the scene it's the vital part of this kind of games: this to me was a very annoying flaw, but as I said the text lines explains (actually very well and detailed) but I want to see what's happening more often, not just read it. And second: you can't skip any single dialogue of the entire game: if you die after a LONG cutscene...you'll have to see all of it again....just why? As i said it's so easy to die, which means you'll see some of the actions and events you just did over and over, and this is a PART of the game...and yet no skipping feature?!
    That's actually all to me: it's a great psp horror game and yeah even if graphics are dated I don't give much bother; the voice acting is left in (a very good) japanese so for those who love the original dubs (I don't, but i don't hate either) it's a plus: buy it if you like horror games with very (VERY) thrilling plots and and scenery.
  12. Dec 27, 2011
    Awful graphics and extremely outdated gameplay, but definitely a great game. Voice acting and SFX are great, music is superb and the story although full of cliches, is very absorbing and well elaborated.

You'll be trapped with this game until you finish it.

RECOMMENDED
  13. Dec 16, 2011
    One of the best horror games I have played in a long time. In terms of gameplay it consists of simple puzzles and moments of intense pacman-esque evasion. It's definitely a game that's meant to be played for the story. It's unpredictability and shocking twists will keep you going till the very last chapter. The sound design and voice acting (although in Japanese) is top notch and really sets the mood. Playing with headphones is highly recommended. Being largely a text driven game, it may not appeal to today's ADD Call of Duty gamers. However, for those looking for something unique, original, and truly unsettling it's definitely worth the 20 bucks. Those who say Japanese gaming is dead have clearly not picked up this horror gem of a game. So dust off that PSP and prepare to give the system it's final hoo-rah before Vita's release. Expand
  14. Nov 23, 2011
    Pues a mi si me saco sustos o.o . Estilo de RPG antiguo pero con tantos factores en su desarrollo, el miedo que van generando en los personajes, las decisiones rapidas que hay que tomar, hasta la decision mas casual puede llevarte a un final malo. Pero si sabes moverte con suerte llegaras al final del capitulo......entre comillas final "bueno"
  15. Nov 23, 2011
    Amazing game, don't be fooled by the anime appearance.
    This is a true horror game through and through.
    As long as you like survival horror, give this game a try.
    A must have title for psp owners.

1. Feb 27, 2012
    If you're going to spend the $20 on Corpse Party, it is very important to know what you're getting into. This is not a "game," but an interactive novel with video game elements that, for the most part, aren't very good. You will get frustrated and lost a few times, but if you stick with it and keep a cool head, Corpse Party will reward you with an unsettling story that will keep you on the edge of your seat. The game doesn't shy away from violence so be prepared to sit through some really disturbing and uncomfortable moments.
  2. Jan 29, 2012
    It's extremely rare that a game would be better with less gameplay. [Issue#118, p.113]
  3. Jan 10, 2012
    Corpse Party proves that a minimalistic approach can get some of the best results when it comes to horror. If a little blood gets you weak in the knees, this game is not for you.