Def Jam: Fight for NY: The Takeover PSP

8.3

1. JamesH.
    Sep 29, 2006
    I think its a great game but it did not suprise me. If you need a PSP fighting game, get it.
  2. JohnY
    Aug 10, 2008
    If you're a fan of defjam vendetta or defjam fight for ny on the ps2 then you'll love this too. Almost a flawless game. I've beaten 4 times. The only thing bad about it is it has the worst dialogue in between battles that i have ever seen in a game. It sounds like a bunch of white writers trying to be "gangsta". For an m-rated game the worst language used between the If you're a fan of defjam vendetta or defjam fight for ny on the ps2 then you'll love this too. Almost a flawless game. I've beaten 4 times. The only thing bad about it is it has the worst dialogue in between battles that i have ever seen in a game. It sounds like a bunch of white writers trying to be "gangsta". For an m-rated game the worst language used between the fighters is "punk" "sucka" and "chump". Just to name a few. If you can step past that, this is an amazing game worth getting. Collapse
  3. DavidB.
    Sep 28, 2006
    I have spent half of my teenage years playing Wrestlemania 2000 on N64. This takes me back to the old days, minus the high flying capabilities. AND it's portable! Pure gold, although the storyline is a bit cheesy.
  4. Aug 27, 2012
    First, I am not really a fan of 3D Fighting games. But this is special, I can create my own character with the right 5 Fighting styles combinations. If you get it correctly you will be able to create character that has speed, power of grappling skills & submissions. This is something that others fighting games do not have. Besides the hip hop-influenced 3D games and bad dialogues,First, I am not really a fan of 3D Fighting games. But this is special, I can create my own character with the right 5 Fighting styles combinations. If you get it correctly you will be able to create character that has speed, power of grappling skills & submissions. This is something that others fighting games do not have. Besides the hip hop-influenced 3D games and bad dialogues, everything else are great and keep you long hours of enjoyment. What a pitty no more new version from this series. I just hope that Capcom can learn from here in producing the newly 2D fighting games using the newly improve super street fighter 4 Engine in future. Expand
  5. Sep 16, 2017
    Aki's last ever licensed game before retiring from the international gaming industry.

A really impressive spinoff of a beloved game and port for the PSP. I love this game. I beat it three times. The graphics are exactly the same as the other ports of Fight For New York just watered down. The soundtrack is THE best rap soundtrack in a licensed fighting game ever. The sound and sound

The graphics are exactly the same as the other ports of Fight For New York just watered down. The soundtrack is THE best rap soundtrack in a licensed fighting game ever. The sound and sound design like the other ports are superb, brutal and satisfying to listen to. The voice acting is fantastic too. Every rapper gave it their all.

The gameplay is essentially the same as Fight For New York but with new additions such as pre match beatdowns, environment reversals, a mount mechanic, mount reversal, dazed clinch punches and throwing sand and dirt into the opponents face.

Another mechanic added to the game is the Crew Wars in Story Mode in which you can recruit up to 15 fighters and select one fighter to attack a property in any of the five territories and earn rewards.

The story is a prequel to Fight For New York, it's non-linear and is presented by text messages and only 4 comic book styled cutscenes which play at specific points unlike Fight For New York in which you follow a path to defeat Crow and become King of New York and is presented with movie styled cutscenes.

The customization system is amazing and is a lot like WWF No Mercy's customization mode.

We also get four new arenas: Airport, Car Company, Boat and Backstreet and they are fun to brawl in.

The Inferno Match was removed due to memory limitations but I never liked it. The character Suspect was also removed but I didn't care about him. Blaze, D-Mob and Sticky Fingaz costumes
    were also removed probably because of memory limitations.

There are also many mistakes in the game such as Redman having Blaze's Blazin yell, Magic having Nyne's Blazing yell and Santos using the Let's Dance Blazin' instead of the Filipino Pride. These mistakes could have easily been fixed.

A thing I found disappointing is that the three way, four way and tag team matches were not included as they probably weren't able to implement these matches because of the PSP's capabilities.

The only things that held the game back was that story mode was too short and match types were removed.

Overall a perfect game from Aki Corporation and a great way to retire.

#46 Most Discussed PSP Game of 2006
#21 Most Shared PSP Game of 2006

1. Electronic Gaming Monthly
    Like so many PS2-PSP ports, you won't find much compelling new content, either. [July 2006, p.93]
  2. Game Informer
    Hip-hop moves fast, and Def Jam seems to have lost its cutting-edge appeal. [Aug 2006, p.93]
  3. Official Playstation 2 Magazine UK
    A versatile and immersive fighter packed with individual characters, top tunes, and bone-breaking aplenty. [Aug 2006, p.98]