8.0

1. Dec 7, 2010
    a great SRPG by nippon itchi . this company knows how to make great SRPG's . the story is entertaining the alot of fun special moves and 100s of hours of gameplay , good voice acting with some deep gameplay. ive never played the PS2 version of this game infact ive never even heard of the disgaea series till i played the 3rd on the PS3 but if you havent as well deffinitly get the PSPa great SRPG by nippon itchi . this company knows how to make great SRPG's . the story is entertaining the alot of fun special moves and 100s of hours of gameplay , good voice acting with some deep gameplay. ive never played the PS2 version of this game infact ive never even heard of the disgaea series till i played the 3rd on the PS3 but if you havent as well deffinitly get the PSP version if you have a PSP you get much more extra content . they have added etna mode which gives you Etna as the main charicter and story is told as a what if she killed laharl. the iitem world isnt as good as the 3rd's setup . i also miss the class world because of how easy it is to transfer skills . also staticians seem to do little compared to what they do in the 3rd. still this is the first in the series and just shows you how much they have improved the 3rd . still any SRPG fan should have this game in there collection . Expand
  2. May 2, 2014
    Weird f*cking game, but in a good way. I like the turn-based strategy games, and this series delivers it longer, wetter and deeper than any other on the market. There are many areas to get lost in or completely neglect. Customization options are staggering. This game can be very intimidating to the new guy, but very fun and rewarding to anyone willing to invest some time in it.
  3. Dec 29, 2014
    Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness is a brilliant strategy RPG that sucks the player in with witty humor and often hilarious fourth wall breaking dialogue along with it's addictive game play.

The main cast of characters are likable and the story is enjoyable even if the 'power of love' theme can be a little too cheesy at times. Game play is also challenging and deep enough to keep the player interested and wanting to continue down the storyline to it's conclusion.

The graphics and sound are great for a port of such an old game and the master-pupil system allows for extensive customization of your party members to allow them to perform many different roles if you so wish.

Overall, Disgaea is an extremely fun game that can keep the player interested for hours upon hours at a time (Especially if you feel the need to reach the insane maximum character level of 9999).

+ Excellent strategy based RPG
    + Interesting characters and storyline
    + Great visual and sound design
    + Deep game play and ample character customization options
    + Witty humor and entertaining dialogue

- Can sometimes be necessary to grind old stages to pump up your characters levels
    - The 'power of love' theme is a little cliched and can be irritating at times
  4. Jan 12, 2012
    I began to play this game only in 2012, and i think it's one of the best on PSP. I loved Jeanne d'Arc but Disgaea is much deeper in terms of gameplay and more attractive because of outstanding humor, character design etc.
  5. ChrisR.
    Jan 17, 2008
    Just about a perfect SRPG... the only thing that would make it better would be the ability to save within battles... otherwise, the dialogue and delivery is laugh out loud quality.
  6. JulianB.
    Jan 9, 2008
    A fantastic turn-based strategy title. Disgaea by day - recharge PSP by night.
  7. JohhnyC.
    Dec 3, 2007
    A very good port of the excellent PS2 game with bonus Etna storyline to boot. Wonderful. If you are a SRPG fan then you should not miss this.
  8. ArtH.
    Jan 22, 2008
    Turn based open-ended strategy at its best. The way you can always continue to improve your characters by revisiting old levels until they are strong enough for the next level, combined with allowing to restart your characters at level 1 with some of the stats retained makes it extremely re-playable, and a game that can last for months and months. The only minor issue is the sometimes bad Turn based open-ended strategy at its best. The way you can always continue to improve your characters by revisiting old levels until they are strong enough for the next level, combined with allowing to restart your characters at level 1 with some of the stats retained makes it extremely re-playable, and a game that can last for months and months. The only minor issue is the sometimes bad literal translation from Japanese, especially in the repetitive exclamations whenever characters perform an action. Hearing Laharl shout "Here I come!" for the nine hundredth time would have been nice to avoid. Expand
  9. BradP.
    Jan 23, 2008
    This game kicks ass and is definitely more addictive than FFT. Plus it's comical point of view as well as challenging and customized gameplay easily makes this one of the most diverse and best rpg's on psp, with of course the other one being Tales of Eternia. This game will rock you!!!
  10. JoshC
    Aug 7, 2009
    This game is simply amazing. As a fan of SRPG's, I was amazed by how different it was, what with the fast gameplay, amazing graphics and skill animations, quirky dialogue/characters, and the great replayability. Combine all that with some exploding penguins and it's Disgaea. I did get tired of the game though, but that was after 200 hours of massive hardcore extras that i just This game is simply amazing. As a fan of SRPG's, I was amazed by how different it was, what with the fast gameplay, amazing graphics and skill animations, quirky dialogue/characters, and the great replayability. Combine all that with some exploding penguins and it's Disgaea. I did get tired of the game though, but that was after 200 hours of massive hardcore extras that i just needed to play. I can't wait for a Disgaea 2 PSP. Expand
  11. LowellF.
    Nov 10, 2007
    A really excellent adaptation of this game. This is the perfect platform for playing this-- allowing you to do quick missions, level up characters and delve into all of the vast side material for the game.
  12. JacobP.
    Dec 16, 2007
    I haven't played the original, but I've went and got this game, Jeanne D'Arc and the remake of Final Fantasy Tactics for the PSP. I honestly say-- this game is the better deal. If you're stuck between the three, choose this one, hands down. It's extremely open and funner to play than FFT and has much more character than Jeanne D'Arc. Everyone says Disgaea is I haven't played the original, but I've went and got this game, Jeanne D'Arc and the remake of Final Fantasy Tactics for the PSP. I honestly say-- this game is the better deal. If you're stuck between the three, choose this one, hands down. It's extremely open and funner to play than FFT and has much more character than Jeanne D'Arc. Everyone says Disgaea is a laugh riot which I don't find, but the story is both light and compelling, so it just sweetens the deal. This is the very best SRPG on the PSP right now. Expand
  13. RyanS
    Nov 20, 2008
    A flawless version of one of the best tactics RPGs ever created. Not only does the PSP version of Disgaea run perfectly without any framerate issues or hickups, it also improves upon the PS2 version in a number of ways. Full Japanese and English language support is included, so you don't have to listen to an odd mix of English and Japanese voices in battle anymore, a Collection A flawless version of one of the best tactics RPGs ever created. Not only does the PSP version of Disgaea run perfectly without any framerate issues or hickups, it also improves upon the PS2 version in a number of ways. Full Japanese and English language support is included, so you don't have to listen to an odd mix of English and Japanese voices in battle anymore, a Collection system makes collecting items strangely addicting, the music store lets you use different Disgaea music within the item world, and the Multiplayer prinny lets you challenge friends. On top of that, the new Etna campaign adds a ton of fresh content with hilarious dialog and fun battles. Expand
  14. BP
    May 22, 2009
    Finished Jeanne & FFT, both great in their ways, different flavors, but Disgaea:AoD may never be removed from my PSP. The tactics are perfect for portable SRPG'ers...if you have a 'completionist' in your life and want to drive them over the edge, this is the perfect game with which to do it. The learning curve may be a bit steep for some.
  15. SteveP
    Aug 10, 2009
    This game is absolutely flawless, and I don't even like SRPGs. The only problem I had with it was that some of the sounds became repetitive after awhile, but I would expect that after putting 150 hours into the game.
  16. Jan 11, 2011
    Exceptional port of the PS2 classic. Contains pretty much everything from the original (and, in my opinion, best) Disgaea game plus a few additional features. The save and loading times are almost non-existant! Despite ploughing a silly amount of hours into this game a few years ago I find myself doing the same again... brilliant stuff and probably one of the top 3 SRPG's I've played inExceptional port of the PS2 classic. Contains pretty much everything from the original (and, in my opinion, best) Disgaea game plus a few additional features. The save and loading times are almost non-existant! Despite ploughing a silly amount of hours into this game a few years ago I find myself doing the same again... brilliant stuff and probably one of the top 3 SRPG's I've played in the last 25 years... Expand

1. For portable role playing on the go you can't do much better...okay, "Jeanne de Arc", but that's it. [Oct 2007, p.94]
  2. Though not as hilarious as its PS2 sequel, Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness is the best, most expansive and most addictive strategy/RPG available for PSP.
  3. A Disgaea veteran who is interested only in the new content may find AoD to not be worth the purchase, but it's a must-buy for any PSP owner who's been yearning for an engrossing strategy RPG. [Nov 2007, p.58]