7.7

1. Mar 22, 2011
    this game is excellent a very good update of the old game. And even better, you get access to the old game after you beat the main storyline with the upgraded game mechanics. New characters to play as and a better story. Get this game! ^_^
  2. Mar 23, 2011
    Fell in love with Dissidia when it first came out. I think I have spent more than 200 hours into the game obsessively trying to master all the characters. I was so happy when SE announced Dissidia prequel, Dissidia 012 duodecim. I even picked up the Japanese version of paid-demo, Dissidia prologus despite the fact that I don't know Japanese. Not surprisingly, I have spent more than 30 hours into this demo (money well-spent for sure!). Now, after nearly one-month wait after the Japanese release, I got my hand on this game at the first day of launch for the English version. Considering it is a masterpiece, and it certainly is after I have spent good 10 hours in the game, it costs merely 238 HKD (yes, I live in Hong Kong). The game play is deep yet fun (the learning curve is actually not that steep). The graphics is no doubt a top-notch for PSP small screen. The soundtrack is so wonderful that I have spent another 450 HKD to buy the soundtracks. Moreover, the RPG elements of the game certainly has made the action-packed game more than just slash and hit. OK, the storyline is a bit cliche, but who cares (at least I don't). I just enjoy the fact that I can see all my favorite protagonists and antagonists from the Final Fantasy series gather and fight! I love this game, and I already see myself spending even more hours in this game compared to the first one - considering this game also includes Dissidia! Get it! Expand
  3. Oct 9, 2011
    Dissidia Duodecim is a true God send for both final fantasy fanatics and for fans of the action- RPG genre and Fighting games. This game stands out as one of the best games ever developed for the PSP. WHY?. It adds multiple additional features from it's predecessor Dissidia. With brand new fighting mechanics including assist characters and additional characters to the existing roster Duodecim builds onto an already amazingly well developed game. The sound is as to be expected fantastic with music being remixed or introduced from final fantasy 1 through to 13, the sound track is stunning. The gameplay mechanics themselves are very deep and you can tell Square Enix put a lot of thought into character balancing etc...
    Also the Longevity of this game is astounding with the main game consisting of around 8 new chapters along with the fact after beating the new twelfth cycle (which revolves around the story of the additional characters) you unlock the entire 13 chapter campaign from the original Dissidia. But that's not all they've also added a challenge chapter for once you've completed the main Dissidia campaign. The camera angles within the game could greatly be improved as within the stages they often cause a problem however minor it may be. Another downer is the no online fighting aspect which would have been awesome for this game in particular. With this game so packed with features it would take a while to explain all of them, what can be said is this game is a real treat. Graphics: 9
    Presentation: 9
    Story: 8
    Gameplay: 8
    Sound: 9
    Longevity: 10
  4. Mar 23, 2011
    I'm absolutely amazed. I'm not sure why this would deserve anything less than an incredible score. Dissidia has always been about it's characters and epic battle scenes, which it brings up to full scale with a new arsenal or combos using the new assist system and new characters. The PP, accomplishments, story modes and SO much more will keeping me playing this game for a VERY long time, and happily so. Square took what made the first Dissidia awesome and went all out! If you love Final Fantasy and call yourself a fan, this game is a MUST BUY. Expand
  5. Jun 21, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Dissidia 012 is one of the best games this year! The world map and addition of gateways adds a ton of content and exploration! Thank god the world map isn't nearly as large or complicated as in past games, it's actually quite easy to navigate. No more destiny points=WIN! When you beat the game, you unlock the first dissidia, but it is inside dissidia 012, all the chapters have been upgraded with world map, and all of them have been put into order! (HALLA) The assists are absolutely amazing, though a little hard to aim, and EX Mode is very hard to do. (fewer EX cores, so little EX force) Kupo Points are a cool addition, and you can actually cancel a chain! Awesome, right? People say the story isn't very good, but i think it's really good. You know all those cut-scenes in the first dissidia that hinted at previous battles and had hidden meanings? After completing the twelfth cycle, those hidden meanings aren't so hidden anymore. Example: we finally find out HOW Jecht was on cosmos and then became chaos. The new characters are great, and they come in a package deal with new EX bursts, new exclusive equipment, new backstorys and new stages to fight on. You can either play one-on one in battle mode, or you can play in RPG mode, similar to other final fantasy games. There are a lot more swears in this game. (*Cough* Tidus 90% *Cough*) The shop is really cool, the Colosseum has been upgraded so there more to it than battle, get prize. The characters actually MOVE when they hop from space to space on the board, so they are no longer demented little chess pieces. The graphics are amazing, the game play is outstanding, and with data install there are NO load times. They retooled the first game, added a second game, gave it kick ass everything, and put it on the shelves. This is the game to get! Expand
  6. Apr 10, 2011
    This is a review from someone who has played the first game but never bought it. I did however, buy doudecim, and i have to say that it is for sure money well spent. First off, let me say that the graphics are simply jaw dropping for a handheld game. I would have to say that it looks even better than ghost of sparta and definitely some titles on the ps2. The gameplay is also very very good. Executing moves isnt very difficult but the simplicity adds to the fast pace of the game. The depth of the fighting system comes in knowing when to use what move. Some are quick and close range and some take long to execute but have better range. Also, there is something called summons that can turn the tide in anyone's favor at any point in the battle. Not to mention, a new addition to the series called assists. Once you fill up the assist bar, you will be able to summon a friend, of your choice to help you out for a short while. You will always be unlocking new magic/physical attacks, summons and other perks for your character, as you level up so you dont need to worry about this part of the game becoming repetetive. Being a big monster hunter fan, i found the deep customization to be one of my favorite parts of the game. Now the story, isnt as phenomenal as the rest of the game but i still have to give them props for trying to cram one into a fighting game, where stories are usually not very good. I didnt think it was as horrible as everyone made it sound but a bit of progression throughout woudnt hurt. A big part of the storytelling, in my opinion is the people who are a part of it. This was the only big complaint i really had with the game. Many of the characters in the game were just too one dimensional for my liking. And the voice acting did not help at all. If squeenix ever decides to continue this series, and i hope they do, i think that the majority of the time should be spent on a more interesting story and more development of the characters. There is a lot more to the game than what is in my review but i think this review is long enough so ill have to leave it at this. GO BUY IT! Expand
  7. Nov 20, 2011
    Final Fantasy Dissidia 012 Duodecim is the prequel to FF Dissidia. Fans will get answered the many questions they have gotten from the first game as this game explains what happened before the events of the first game and to the characters who appear in this game on why they didnt appear in the first game. Pretty much the mechanics are the same, there are some new additions to the gameplay such as to affect the fighting field and etc. Players who have missed the first game will also have a chance to play the storyline from the first game in this game. Expand
  8. Feb 20, 2012
    This game was a great deal of fun to play. The story holds many of the characteristics of the first game, but with the addition of new characters it makes the plot a bit more interesting. The game play mechanics are a lot of fun especially with the new characters. If you are looking for a great Final Fantasy fighting game this is your pick!
  9. Aug 18, 2013
    Best PSP game ever!
    Awesome graphics,great music,wide-range customization,FF-Universe with well known characters,unique gameplay style,and also great PvP. Plus FF Worthwhile cinematics.
    A well-designed game with much effort put in it.
    When i first played Dissidia,it looked hard,i thought it won't last for 2-3 hours.Then it sucked me in.Now at like 88 hrs gameplay i still play it.(I
    started with this,play 1-2 battles in the original Dissidia) Expand
  10. Feb 14, 2013
    This game is great. I really like it, because they added a variety of characters, skills, equipment, costumes etc. I have not encountered any bugs yet, but i'm sure this game is not... bug-less. The only issue so far is, if i'm correct, that it only has local I have so far used around 300 hours of my life playing this game (also leaving it on idle, making it around 260) and i do not regret it. Get this game, do whatever it takes, because you won't regret it! Expand
  11. Feb 26, 2013
    I was a FF fan since... well, for years for now, played from IV to IX, nights without any sleep... good old days So when Dissidia came out, I was furious. What they did to the series was a crime itself, but hey, still rpg for you at least. Then an all-stars brawl with every hero and villain came into this world and I said "Aw Hell no!!" After that, I tried the game and something just didn't feel right... I enjoyed the game and only God knows why. The battle system is fluid, perfect in every way, the characters are extremely well balanced, fully customisable. The chessboard-style was a little strange at first, then I had to admit: it fits the game perfectly. The graphics are truly awesome, the early characters are redreamed flawlesly, Firion, Kefka, Golbez, every single one is perfect in design AND the voice actors... well... I'd like to say it is marvelous, but some characters are just not right. I was fully dissapointed in Cloud, he sounds just like a stoner friend of mine just before his munchies, just not as funny. Terra was irritating and Tifa sounded like a stupid bimbo (well, at least the design and the brawling with her made it all worthwhile). On the other hand all the other voices are in place: the maniac, nihilistic voice of Kefka, the gloomy, dark, wise Golbez, the narcissistic Emperor and boy they are giving me the chills, in the good way.
    The main plot is interesting, full of twists-turns and Hell, it's very long. The 2 cycles+labirynth are giving you lots and lots of hours battling. Oh and you want to level up your favorite characters? Well, be prepared young ones, because this grind-train is one helluva ride. But you'll love it
  12. Oct 1, 2013
    Great game. Good if you are just wanting something to kill time, I think what everyone forgets is that PSP games are MEANT to be fun and addictive many do not have a worth while story. Save for franchises like Metal Gear
  13. Feb 15, 2014
    As I write these words, I hear the game calling to me, asking me to give it a 10/10 and I really do want to, but this one I can just let slide.
    Let me just get it out right now - I'm a sucker for this game. I won it two times - on the PSP and on my Vita + I have the original Dissidia. I'm not sure if I could fit it into my top 10, simply because I believe there are still titles better
    than this one. But I can't deny facts: this game is a technological marvel, cramming up so much content into such a small UMD, it looks and sounds awesome, and it really tries to tell a meaningful story, and don't even get me started on how much fun playing it is. But it has flaws that I cannot deny either.
    Let me revise: graphical side. This game looks amazing. It follows the same style as Crisis core and Kingdom Hearts for the PSP, which I think it's very nice. Some sprites do look a bit pixelated at times, but never the less - this game puts a lot of stress onto the PSP's hardware - a lot of things going on on screen, breakable terrain and a 60FPS to boot! This game is one of the better optimised games for the system and is one of the achievments that Square Enix has made, in my opinion. The cinematics are also very epic, but I think they've done better in the past, and further more - there aren't that many included this time around.
    In the sound department this game doesn't fail either - renowned composer Takeharu Ishimoto doesn't fail to deliver once again with a beautiful score, that also compiles some classical themes from older Final Fantasy titles, as per appropriate for the title. There is a lot of voice work included also, the translation doesn't seem as off as Crisis Core's did, but still there are some awkward moments of silence.
    The story of this game needs you to pay attention to detail, or you will miss it. It never tells you anything out loud, or - for the most part it does, but I've found a subtle hint of symbolism which is really fitting the overall theme and is really nicely blended with all of the characters, their backstories and it's also nicely paced. The only problem is that not anyone can see it and I often find myself not talking about it, because I see how most people regard the story as "forced", but if you have a keen eye for writing and have studied symbolism before - you will see it and enjoy it. I know I did and I happen to be a bit of a bookworm.
    The gameplay is where this game really shines. In it's core - it's a one on one figher. But it does so much more. First of all - the game quizzes you really fast to find out what type of a gamer are you, and it will either provide you with a spectacle to view, while you choose the skills you want to use in a similar to the turn-based system of the franchise way, or if you choose - you can play it in full-out action mode, which I prefer and I think you will too. The gameplay is both free and chained. It is very free because you feel powerful playing the iconic hero or vilain you have chosen - their skills look great, they feel powerful and you can see the effects they cause - sometimes victory, but always including a bit of ruin and chaos. The battle system tends to be more Smash Bros. than Mortal Combat, with a touch of zero-gravity added in, but it's all in good fun, and honestly - if I try to describe it, it will most certainly end up sounding very boring, so I suggest trying it out - demos are still available! When you are not batteling, however, you also get the chance to explore an open-world and grind to your heart's content in checkboard-style dungeons - these segments I found to be more of a waste of time than anything, but maybe that was just me. I mentioned above that the game also feels chained, and that is because it limits you very massively to the moves you can use in a fight, and though you get used to them and don't mind - you have so much more available, and you can't use it almost ever. And I understand this is probably due to the system's limitations, but still I'd rather not have as many, or for them to have thought of a compromise. This will stutter your experience without a doubt, but it's worth it and I grew to teach myself to ignore this. In the end - the good things outweigh the bad - awesome cast of iconic characters, fun systems, interesting story and a lot of polish. Also, this game includes the entire first Dissidia as an unlockable after beating it, because technically it's a prequel - what more could you want?
    Truth be told, this game is a 10/10, because it's most certainly not the game's fault that some people can't appreciate the complex story or that the system can't handle the full potential of it's combat system. Never the less, I have to warn, so I judge appropriately, giving a 9/10 and saying: This is one of the best games ever made and it's a mistery to me why it hasn't been HD'd and ported on everything, because with a bit more work it could be even better. If you have a PSP or Vita - get this game.

1. Jun 29, 2011
    Dissidia 012 is technically an improvement on its predecessor. The stylish combat is still a blast and Final Fantasy fans will be as enamored as ever, but a number of the improvements seem half-realized.
  2. May 23, 2011
    Dissidia 012[duodecim] FINAL Fantasy is a unique title has a lot to offer. The sheer amount of things to do, deep customization and fantastic character line-up make Dissidia 012[duodecim] FINAL Fantasy an absolute must for Final Fantasy fans and PSP owners.
  3. May 9, 2011
    Dissidia 012: Duodecim Final Fantasy is a better game than the original with its refined gameplay mechanics and battle system. Though the story leaves much to be desired, Square has addressed many of the problems from the original game by giving fans more of what they want. A feeling of déjà vu still exists but Square has managed to keep things fresh with Dissidia 012: Duodecim Final Fantasy, which is a worthy game for series' veterans and fans.