Fate/Extra PSP

8.1

1. Nov 3, 2011
    fate extra is yet another great jrpg on psp, with the added bonus of a great plot written by nasu of fate stay night fame. the choices provided during the game, along with the possibility to replay it using different servants, really boost the replayability factor, and the localization is one of the best seen this year. it plays like a mix of traditional dungeon crawler and turn basedfate extra is yet another great jrpg on psp, with the added bonus of a great plot written by nasu of fate stay night fame. the choices provided during the game, along with the possibility to replay it using different servants, really boost the replayability factor, and the localization is one of the best seen this year. it plays like a mix of traditional dungeon crawler and turn based duels where you have to memorize enemy patterns in order to counter them, an interesting combination that feels really fresh compared with other games' stale mechanics.
    every type moon and jrpg fan should give this game a chance, it's really unique and well crafted.
  2. Aug 1, 2012
    I'm certain, after all these bad reviews for games of new styles with manga designs, that reviewers are trying to review it based on terms for which it doesn't need reviewing. This game is, for all intents and purposes, a visual novel and an RPG in about equal amounts. The visual novel part is like a choose-your-own-adventure deal, with multiple dialogue paths complete with permanentI'm certain, after all these bad reviews for games of new styles with manga designs, that reviewers are trying to review it based on terms for which it doesn't need reviewing. This game is, for all intents and purposes, a visual novel and an RPG in about equal amounts. The visual novel part is like a choose-your-own-adventure deal, with multiple dialogue paths complete with permanent consequences--such as death, should you choose a path that leads you right to it. The game is *supposed* to have a lot of text, and what's most important is whether or not the text is interesting--and it most definitely is, with its wonderful localization team doing another fantastic job, to create individual characters with believable personalities. It's very, very well-written work, far from your usual video game fare, and it stays consistently interesting and, honestly, emotionally moving throughout. It's really hard to make an imported game based in a lot of text emotionally moving, but this game succeeds in that on many counts. The RPG part of things, which only happens after class is over and you can enter the Arena, is beautifully original and a joy to experiment with. See, you can't just power-level your way through every week and expect to win the extremely difficult duels at the end of ever week. You absolutely need information on your opponent first so you can maybe find some pattern, or to know what's particularly effective against them. Without knowing those, you have no chance, since it's a given that every duel is brutally unforgiving, and to be unable to predict your opponent's actions is certain death. Having said that, the level-up system isn't static and lets you choose which stats to advance, and you get to wear up to two pieces of "formal wear", i.e., gear, that all do different things. It's equally important to take full advantage of your gear and any abilities they unlock.

The bottom line is that the audience for this type of game will have that "just one more day" syndrome, due to its consistent rewards that tend to appear at the beginning and/or end of every day. Anyone with any appreciation for a visual novel/RPG approach will adore this for its excellent localization, intriguing dialogue trees, planning your week ahead of time, gathering information on your opponent, and a far more strategic method of winning every week's duel with more than power-leveling. Very highly recommended for both PSP and Vita owners (the game works just fine on the Vita).
  3. Nov 3, 2011
    I gave up on this game long ago since I believed a western release was unthinkable, but then I learned Aksys translated it and, being a huge Type Moon fan, I immediately preordered the L.E.. It turns out I made the right choice, since this game is absolutely awesome and has the best dialogues in quite some time. It's also far different from the Persona games, and that pleased me since byI gave up on this game long ago since I believed a western release was unthinkable, but then I learned Aksys translated it and, being a huge Type Moon fan, I immediately preordered the L.E.. It turns out I made the right choice, since this game is absolutely awesome and has the best dialogues in quite some time. It's also far different from the Persona games, and that pleased me since by the infos I read at the Japanese release I thought Fate/Extra was a Persona 3 clone. Characters are great, too, and I'm already loving new Saber's personality. Expand
  4. Nov 17, 2011
    Fate/Extra is a rather unique game basing its fighting like Rock/Paper/Scissor. The story line is pretty nicely done and the ending can always be changed. I have yet to see a dead end yet but with 3 characters and multiple endings there is a lot of possibilities with this game.
  5. Aug 12, 2012
    Really good game a mix of persona 4 witha fighting game it is a little hard on the beggining and may scare some players but when you get used to it you will notice that is one of the best rpg made to psp
  6. Nov 5, 2011
    Fate/Extra is an interesting game. When you first start playing, the game feels like a complete rip-off of the Persona games. From the visual styling and calendar-based daily cycle to the nighttime dungeon battles and social interaction, everything feels like an attempt to capitalize on the popularity of its Shin Megami Tensei rival. That being said, Persona 3 stands as my favorite gameFate/Extra is an interesting game. When you first start playing, the game feels like a complete rip-off of the Persona games. From the visual styling and calendar-based daily cycle to the nighttime dungeon battles and social interaction, everything feels like an attempt to capitalize on the popularity of its Shin Megami Tensei rival. That being said, Persona 3 stands as my favorite game of all time, so there are definitely worse franchises to imitate. Like Persona, it takes about an hour to get through Fate's introductory material, but after that, it starts to take a life of its own. The scenarios were written by Nasu, of Fate/Stay Night PC fame, but since this story takes place in an alternate universe from the original, no prior knowledge of the Fate series is necessary. You start by playing through a mostly linear prologue using a generic male character, after which you are able to select one of three companion types and a gender for your character. The gameflow is similar to Persona 3/4, where you spend your daytime hours attending high school and chatting to other students, often leading to clues that will aid in your nighttime confrontations. Combat occurs inside randomly generated wireframe dungeons, not unlike Tartarus or Mayonaka TV in Persona, and at the end of each calendar week, you'll face off against a rival and their servant, again not unlike the full-moon showdowns against Arcana demons in Persona 3. Even your servant, who does all of your fighting and leveling, is vaguely reminiscent of using a persona to deal damage in combat. Battle structure is a paper-rock-scissors affair, where memorizing your opponent's patterns is key to inflicting more damage than you sustain. I'm sure this was intended to mimic the push-turn system that gained praise for Persona, but in that department, Fate/Extra fails to execute the mechanic properly. Due to your enemies' unexpected changes in pattern, you could literally do everything right and still get beaten, but more often than not, a trial-and-error approach will still prevail. On that note, it is also very important to maintain multiple save files, as the branching story and choice-based plot progression can lead to dead ends and undesirable outcomes. This is actually Fate/Extra's greatest strength; while the game is not as long or immersive as Persona, it does offer a comparable amount of replay value, especially considering the number of possible player-servant combinations. The social elements are fun and teasingly titilating, as well, though they ultimately feel more shallow than Persona's social links. Many fans of Fate will be frustrated by the game's constant comparison to Persona and will claim that the game manages to forge an identity all its own, but I believe it falls short of that goal. In blatantly stealing so many elements from those games, this new entry seals its own Fate (pun intended), and it would be ridiculous to expect anything besides contant comparison by people who have played both franchises. However, that does not mean there is no originality or fun to be discovered in Fate/Extra. Its graphic presentation is gorgeous, and with the PSP nearing the end of its lifespan, it's nice to see a good JRPG grace the UMD library. In all honesty, I would never have expected it to get a US release, but Aksys has done well to bring overlooked Japanese titles to America. Voiceovers are still in Japanese, which will please purists, and the game is very reasonably priced, with a standard version at $29.99 and a Limited Edition (box, artbook, and soundtrack included) at only $39.99. Many niche Japanese games see PSN release as a digital download only, but considering most fans of this subgenre appreciate the collectibility of a hard copy and bonus materials, the gorgeous packaging and presentation are a definite plus. It's no secret that Aksys models its publishing efforts after Atlus of America (which publishes Persona, of course), so it's appropriate that Fate/Extra gains proper attention from their localization team. In the end, I would definitely recommend Fate/Extra to any fan of JRPGs or of the Fate franchise, and while it doesn't reach the lofty position of the games that obviously inspired it, it can be a fun and compelling way to extend the life of your PSP. Expand
  7. Nov 9, 2011
    I purchased this barely knowing what the Fate series even was. I had heard it originated from a visual novel and was rather popular in Japan, not much else. I was intrigued by the few videos and images sporadically posted on rpg sites and gave it a go. Fair to say I was quite impressed with the game. Not exactly how I imagined it to be - as I foresaw a Persona 3 or even God Eater BurstI purchased this barely knowing what the Fate series even was. I had heard it originated from a visual novel and was rather popular in Japan, not much else. I was intrigued by the few videos and images sporadically posted on rpg sites and gave it a go. Fair to say I was quite impressed with the game. Not exactly how I imagined it to be - as I foresaw a Persona 3 or even God Eater Burst type of game - I wrong, yet pleasantly surprised.

The game seems to be a hybrid of the VN original style mixed with a dungeon crawler (Persona 3) and a rock paper scissor combat system with a magic/skill added in the mix. You level up killing enemies as with most rpg games and you unlock abilities for your servant while answering questions and performing specific story-based elements. The combat mainly revolves around comprehending and adapting to enemy attack patters (some stronger enemies have far more than 1 pattern) making the combat interesting each time. When you're at the point you know the enemy's pattern by heart, it changes keeping the combat rather fresh and interesting. At one point the level grinding can get tedious, and if you do not level enough, you'll get pummelled by the other named servants (especially true if you play the Caster class).

All in all, I loved the story, the gameplay was also pretty good - if mildly repetitive at times - and the graphics are among the better ones of the PSP.

If you like Fate, I assume you already bought this. If you do not know Fate but like well-written rpgs I'd recommend you get Fate/Extra.
  8. Jan 15, 2013
    Good jrpg, but after the first time I beat the game I tried to replay it with the other characters and it just felt like the same game. There are little differences between being male or female, or which servant you choose, so IMO it has little replay value.
  9. Jan 23, 2017
    Tenho certeza de que, depois de todas essas críticas ruins para jogos de novos estilos com desenhos de mangá, os revisores estão tentando revisá-lo com base em termos para os quais não é necessário revisá-los. Este jogo é, para todos os efeitos, um romance visual e um RPG em quantidades aproximadamente iguais. A parte da novela visual é como um negócio de escolha-sua-própria-aventura, comTenho certeza de que, depois de todas essas críticas ruins para jogos de novos estilos com desenhos de mangá, os revisores estão tentando revisá-lo com base em termos para os quais não é necessário revisá-los. Este jogo é, para todos os efeitos, um romance visual e um RPG em quantidades aproximadamente iguais. A parte da novela visual é como um negócio de escolha-sua-própria-aventura, com vários caminhos de diálogo completo com consequências permanentes - como a morte, se você escolher um caminho que leva você direto para ele. O jogo é * suposto * ter um monte de texto, eo que é mais importante é saber se o texto é ou não interessante - e é definitivamente, com sua maravilhosa equipa de localização fazendo outro trabalho fantástico, criar personagens individuais com personalidades credíveis . É um trabalho muito, muito bem escrito, longe de sua tarifa usual de videogame, e permanece consistentemente interessante e, honestamente, emocionalmente se movendo por toda parte. É realmente difícil fazer um jogo importado baseado em um monte de texto movendo emocionalmente, mas este jogo tem sucesso nisso em muitos aspectos. A parte RPG das coisas, que só acontece depois da aula é longo e você pode entrar na Arena, é lindamente original e uma alegria para experimentar. Veja, você não pode apenas power-level seu caminho através de cada semana e esperar para ganhar os duelos extremamente difíceis no final de cada semana. Você absolutamente precisa de informações sobre o seu oponente primeiro para que você possa talvez encontrar algum padrão, ou saber o que é particularmente eficaz contra eles. Sem conhecê-los, você não tem chance, já que é um dado que cada duelo é brutalmente implacável, e ser incapaz de prever as ações de seu oponente é a morte certa. Dito isto, o nível de sistema não é estático e permite que você escolha quais estatísticas para avançar, e você começa a usar até duas peças de "desgaste formal", ou seja, artes, que todos fazem coisas diferentes. É igualmente importante aproveitar ao máximo o seu equipamento e as habilidades que desbloquear.

A linha inferior é que a audiência para este tipo de jogo terá que "apenas um mais dia" syndrome, devido a suas recompensas consistentes que tendem a aparecer no começo e / ou no fim de cada dia. Qualquer pessoa com qualquer apreço por uma novela visual / abordagem RPG vai adorar isso por sua localização excelente, intrigante árvores de diálogo, planejando sua semana antes do tempo, recolhendo informações sobre o seu adversário e um método muito mais estratégico de ganhar duelo cada semana com mais de Power-leveling. Muito altamente recomendado para PSP e Vita proprietários (o jogo funciona muito bem no Vita).

#10 Most Discussed PSP Game of 2011
#7 Most Shared PSP Game of 2011

1. Playstation Official Magazine UK
    Jun 18, 2012
    If it didn't suffocate you with screens of sub-par writing [a clumsy nod to Fate's visual novel roots] it could almost look the Persona series in the eye. Almost. [July 2012, p.117]
  2. Play UK
    Jun 17, 2012
    The plot is compelling, the visual style is gorgeous, but the combat can't hold up its end of the bargain and sustain excitement. [Issue#219, p.80]
  3. May 21, 2012
    Fate/Extra is an intriguing game that features a brilliant story, solid characters and good art, but when it comes to the RPG aspects it's all a little uninspiring, and at times tedious and boring, with too much repetition in gameplay and design. If you like to play RPGs for the story and aren't worried about a basic battle system based around luck, then by all means check Fate/Extra out, you'll certainly get a well worth kick from its story, just don't expect to be blown away by its gameplay.