8.5

1. Jul 7, 2012
    This game has no value in the modern SRPG field. Issues include:

1) The worst thing about this game is the AI. You often have guests - friendly AI controlled characters - on your team that screw up everything. For instance, one of them ran into a doorway, behind which was almost the entire enemy army. He was a strong fighter, so I positioned my White Mage behind him to heal why he
    fought. I healed him, it came to his turn...and he used a potion on himself (to restore about 15 of his 78 hit points) and ran away, leaving the enemy army against my White Mage. Horrendous.

2) You place your characters on grey square tiles before you even get to see the map. Random enemy placement often results in team members being in less than ideal positions.

3) The camera is horrible. It works off the four angles of the board, so if an enemy is in between walls in the middle of the map you usually can't see them. Worse, you generally have to exit the command menu to actually control the camera.

4) There's no easy way to check the turn list or AOE on enemies attacks. You have to exit the command menu, bring up another menu, find the character you want and click on them. This really slows games down, as enemies will often charge a spell within two seconds, so you're checking every move to see where you can and can't move and wondering whether they've locked the attack to the unit or tile. The enemy always knows what you've done, but there's no way for you to know.

5) It's impossible to keep your team alive. Phoenix Downs restore a random amount of health, which is always less than a single hit from an enemy. Trying to restore an ally to health usually results in the death of your healer.

6) Enemies rank off your highest level character. The game's tutorial suggests you keep a balanced team, but it's impossible when in one mission your entire army dies. You go to town, hire new warriors, find a random battle, and then die instantly because the enemies are 8 levels higher than you.

I honestly have no idea how this was ever considered any good when it was released, but it certainly isn't any good now. All the Fire Emblem games are basically the same gameplay wise, but they are infinitely better than this. The same goes for Jeanne D'Arc, the Disgaea games and Tactics Ogre.

I would never recommend this game to anyone. My biggest regret is assuming it would be good and buying it off the PSN, since I can't return it.
  2. Mar 18, 2011
    I missed this game when it came out on PS1 but I'm glad i finally had the chance to experience this game. The story is incredible and engrossing as the veil is slowly lifted on the corrupt face of Ivalice. The job system works well and combat is always a challenge. The sprite animation is charming and the cut scenes are beautiful. The camera can be a bit unwieldy but this doesn't take away from the gameplay. This is an unmissable game for RPG enthusiasts. Expand
  3. Jun 23, 2014
    I'm giving it a 10 because FF Tactics deserves no less. HOWEVER, I really do not like this remake. They did a better job with the Tactics Ogre remake. I would rather play the PS One Classic than this. Some sound quality issues are present and can be noticed when compared to playing the original (e.g. on Vita).

I don't like the writing style at all. Whoever they hired to write the new
    translation needs to never write dialogue again. I actually prefer the Engrish of the original game to this verbose crap that they call good dialogue. I get what they were going for (medieval feel) but it's annoying, confusing and feels corny.

Still, same game with same plot, music and mechanics, so I have to give it a 10, because FFT is still amazing.
  4. Jun 21, 2011
    One of the greatest games of all time and THE best game on the PSP hands down. The story is like no other, it grabs you from start to finish and the endearing characters make you cling to their every move. 10/10
  5. Aug 23, 2013
    Great story with a nice ending. The gameplay let you have various possibilities. But the PSP Remake seems to be done without much effort, having slowdowns during every special attack and magick sequence.
  6. Jul 30, 2011
    Simply an amazing portable system game with an interesting story mixed with a fantastic class system. This game takes you to many places and presents itself with a very fine-tuned cinematic sequence. In response to GlennG.'s review, I must say I completely disagree as I have played Jeanne D'Arc and find WotL to be a much more enjoyable experience.
  7. Oct 18, 2014
    FF: Tactics is not a game for the faint of heart. The difficulty is ruthless, whether it be Dark Knights hitting like a truck and healing that same amount, chocobos casting meteor to one-shot your weaker units, or setting up a seemingly impossible battle...However, this is what makes the game so rewarding. Grinding is useful, but nothing can get you to the end of the game except a spot on strategy. That is what this genre should be about, and FF: T nails it.

This added to a wonderful skill learning system, jobs galore, and a satisfying progression makes this game simply one of the best strategy games out there, if not the best. While it may not be my absolute favorite, I can easily understand why many people still cite this as the best of the best.

This game is not without its faults though. The story undoubtedly has a lot of depth and quality, but it has never interested me. Maybe the writing is not to my liking, or simply that I cannot wait to get back into the battle. I won't subtract points for this however, as the majority of people do thoroughly enjoy it. However I have never been able to finish the game due to poor pacing in the middle, something that can't be forgiven. I should be enticed to finish the game, not have it feel like a chore.

There are other problems that I can't forgive. The game has several technical problems. For one, major slowdown plagues many of the actions, mostly spells. The camera is also horrid, as there are not a lot of options for it and many times you won't be able to see all the units no matter which angle you point it.

Another weird problem that has arisen more times than it should have is the randomness of abilities sometimes seems skewed in the enemies favor. This will happen occasionally, and it seems like the game won't let me succeed in my actions while the opponents hit or crit every time. I've not lost to this phenomena, and it doesn't happen often, but it can get annoying when it happens.

On top of this, the difficulty might not be for everyone. Some especially might not like the perma-death to units that don't get revived in time. I enjoy it, though. It is a nice change from the easiness of modern gaming. Overall this is a very high quality game and is worth playing for EVERY strategy fan. 9/10
  8. Feb 18, 2014
    I honestly don't feel like giving a huge review tonight, but let me just say that I firmly believe this is the greatest game of all time. From the masterfully crafted story (holy s**t, a Final Fantasy story that makes SENSE?) to the beautiful sprites, to the impeccable job system, to the amazing characters (some call them "boring", I say they are very realistic. I named my dog Agrias after one of the characters, for f***s sake), to the punishing but fair difficulty (that can be decimated with psychotic levels of grinding- and I love it)- everything comes together to make this my most beloved game. I'm confident enough to say that it'll never be topped, either. I've played uncountable amounts of Tactical RPGs, and I think only 3 are really worth extended playtime- and this one is on the top of the heap. Also, don't listen to the guy above me, he apparently can't play TRPGs worth a s**t if he's having THAT much trouble. Expand
  9. Sep 19, 2014
    Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions hearkens back to a golden age of video game design where a game had to stand largely on the merits of its gameplay, and the mechanics of this turn-based strategy opus stand the test of time. Not content to simply port a classic title to a newer, portable platform, Square Enix has added beautifully animated, watercolor-style cutscenes complete with fantastic voice acting. These help convey a tale that is complex, dark, and strikingly human in nature. If you're a fan of strategy games and/or good stories, this is a must-play. Expand

1. As for consolidation and logical expansion, Final Fantasy Tactics: War Of The Lions achieves more for SRPGs than recent efforts from other studios. [Aug 2007, p.108]
  2. Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions has a brilliant storyline and addictively deep battle mechanics. The game is pure gold from the beginning to the very end. [Sept 2007]
  3. But Tactics is still engrossing, time-consuming fun. [Nov 2007, p.116]