7.6

1. Aug 26, 2012
    It even says iit is not a game, why the hell is this in the psp games section?
  2. Nov 21, 2010
    This movie was designed for the people who have played the original game. To those who haven't played the original game, a lack of understanding for the original story line is understandable, and animosity towards the movie is acceptable. However, what isn't acceptable is the mere fact that one will judge and reduce the movie to what it isn't, by stating too much and stating what is untrue.

" Heal yourself from a deadly desease TAKING A BATH". - AlessioP.

One who has played the game will know that it's not a **** "bath". The only reason why Geostigma was able to be cured there was because that church in the slums of Midgar was the only place in Midgar that was flowing with Lifestream, which is also why flowers were only able to grow there, for those who remember the original game.

Such levels of animosity shows ignorance. Of course I'm not blaming people for not understanding it, but don't judge the movie when you don't have the full picture, go do a little **** research. The story did not offer anything new to the franchise, however, this is not **** Harry Potter, there was a plot to the movie, and to understand it, only those who have played the original game could see how the plot fitted in, the plot made sense. Given all this in mind, the plot wasn't fantastic, and you had to be a fan to really appreciate it. And even then, the plot kinda destroyed everything the game was going for. 4/10.

The music was a remastered version of the original game soundtrack, but it was remastered well. 9/10.

The graphics were amazing, that's all there needs to be said. From the fight scenes down to the level of detail in the cityscape, it's no surprise that this movie was "Final Fantasy". 9/10.

By the way, Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within had no affiliation to the series "Final Fantasy". You would be a fool to think so. In summary: This movie is only aesthetically pleasing, but very aesthetically pleasing at that. Original players of the game will appreciate some of the "Finishing Touches" made to the film, but beyond that, the plot only serves as detrimental to the story. 7/10.
  3. Oct 10, 2011
    Oh, that's cool, evidently movies are filed under games in the PSP section of Metacritic. I mean, it's on a game console, and it comes on a disc, and the games on the game console also come on the same format of disc, so the only logical conclusion is that Advent Children is a game. I love playing as Cloud but I can't get him to do anything besides the same thing he does every single time during the first two hours of gameplay. It's like Final Fantasy XIII all over again! Wait, did I say first two hours of gameplay? I meant only two hours! This game is such a rip-off, it's so short, way shorter than any other Final Fantasy. I remember the original Final Fantasy VII had four discs (or was it twenty-seven?) and lasted at least three hours. For shame. Expand
  4. Jun 26, 2013
    A film that requires a heap of context to understand or enjoy and is not for the casual viewer. For those who played through the game (Final Fantasy VII), Advent Children is as evocative and engaging as anything, seeing beloved characters fully visualised in photo-realistic CGI was worth the price of admission alone for many. Yes, fan-service, yes, fans only.
  5. Aug 6, 2012
    This is one of the movies you have to go with an open mind to it, because I admit: It ain't easy to fully understand. Following the events of verious games and putting them into a 101 minuted movie is not a very simple thing to do. For the works, the movie was incredible aas well as intense. The CGI was...oh, I'm so dazzled. There are no words for the quality this movie contains. It is and will always be the best Final Fantasy ever. Expand
  6. Aug 11, 2012
    The movie is decent, but it really butchers the story of Final Fantasy 7 and has many things which upset me. I didn't want to list them here, since most people reading these reviews have not seen the movie, but if you're a Final Fantasy 7 fan this may not be worth watching. The visuals are great, but the story is hard to follow and many other things, but the revised version released in 2009 is much better (still not great though). Expand
  7. Nov 19, 2012
    Perfect movie made for fans, its been 6 years since the release and still has the best animation made so far. If you don´t know the story you will probably don´t get most of it, but still its worth seeing for its animation.
  8. Dec 26, 2012
    Great movie all around...things could've been worked out, but I'm happy that there's at least a good video game movie out there. Well, "good" is giving it too much credit...I would say decent.
  9. Jan 17, 2013
    I have no problem admitting I'm a Final Fantasy fanboy. I adore this film. Great visuals, being based on FFVII it has great characters who's voice acting was superb. the action scenes are "cool" enough to be enjoyed by anybody and there are enough nods towards the original game, from the obvious (Tifas 'Victory' ringtone) to the more subtle (like the limit breaks within the film)

If you
    can't understand what is happening, then you can either try to pay more attention instead of playing on your phone through the entire damn movie, or maybe just go back to your wooden 'fit the hole' toys.

This film gave all the ups and downs you expect.

and Aeris....

what else do you need.
  10. Jan 22, 2014
    This movie was excellent.If someone wants to know even a bit of final fantasy lore,then this movie is a really good place to start.A Stupendous movie with exceptional animation....This is coming from someone who watched this movie in 2014....so yeah ENJOY!
  11. Jun 1, 2014
    If you have ever played Final Fantasy 7, or even Final Fantasy Crisis Core on the PSP, then this is a must see; as it has brilliant graphics and a fantastic story, if you are a Final Fantasy fan, then it is definitely worth watching. I would recommend it to anyone
  12. Sep 3, 2014
    Everyone has a favorite videogame and I’m sure most people would want that videogame turned into a movie. That happened to my all-time favorite game: Final Fantasy VII. The game came out in 1997, so when I played the game I was only seven years old. Over the years I had played the three-disc game enough times to memorize it by heart. So when I found out in 2004 they were making a movie about it, my heart leapt with joy. When it came out on September 14, 2005 I had already ordered it so I could watch it as soon as possible. (It was only available in Japanese for a long time, so I had to get it from Japan).
    The first great thing that comes to my mind with this movie is the music. Nobuo Uematsu, the film’s composer, never fails to create magnificent music. The game music (which he also did) was already incredible, and he was able to recreate it again to give you an eargasm. You know game music is good when you have it on your iPod like I do.
    The movie was beautifully directed. Every scene was uniquely created with different types of shots that I had never seen before. The breathtaking graphics help reveal the creativeness that the director used. As someone who grew up loving most of the characters, it was quite thrilling to see them as if they were real. Although I can’t complain about the funny, stubby way the characters looked in the original game, I loved seeing them in a whole new light. The fight scenes in the movie were fantastic--especially the final fight with Sephiroth, the main villain of the series.
    When I watched this movie as a 15-year-old, I thought it was perfect. Oh, how I was naïve. Over the years, after seeing the movie many times, I’ve realized they could have done better with the movie. For one, everyone who grew up playing the game was able to experience all the characters thoroughly by using them in the party and being able to see their backstories. It is disappointing to not see all of these characters as much in the movie.
    Of course, we get to see a lot of Cloud (the main character) and Tifa (one of the playable characters). All the other playable characters such as Barret, Cid, Red XIII, etc., who we got to know intimately in the game, we don’t see at all. It would have been more enjoyable if all the other characters had more screen time. One thing I did like was the subtle, beautiful scenes we got to see with Aerith (Heroine of the game). The way Square Enix hides her face until the very end shows how important she is and how they knew we wanted to see her the most.
    Being of a lover of the summon Bahamut (a magical entity that you could use in battle), I thought they made him way too different from his game appearance. He looked artificial and not like a dragon at all. When one of the party members summons Bahamut in the game, he always looked evil, intimidating, and badass. When he was summoned in the movie, he looked like he was made of plastic. What the hell, Square Enix?
    One plot point that I didn’t understand was Cloud taking care of Marlene (even though her dad is Barret) and Denzel, an orphan. He went from mercenary-saving-the-world to a distraught, depressed man that, for some reason, needs to take care of kids that aren’t even his. The story makes it feel like Cloud is being forced to do things he doesn’t want to do. I’m not saying he doesn’t care about them. I know he does. But why does he have to do what everyone else is telling him to do? I really feel like the whole story could have been altered and been so much better. What happened to your skills, Enix?
    With every movie come good and bad things. As a diehard Final Fantasy VII fan, I can’t help but get touchy on the subject. I only wish I could go and talk to Square Enix and Tetsuya Nomura (one of the main creators). I shouldn’t complain too much though. They are the reason my favorite game and character exists, and those stories helped shape who I am as a child.

The Making of Advent Children, is easily the best of all the features. In lieu of a commentary track, this is the only bridge between fans and the creation of this beautiful work.
    It's an amazing technical feat that Nomura's team have pulled off here, and an impressive first foray into the alien world of movie making. Coming from a team that's used to making CG cinemas less than five minutes long, Advent Children is a surprisingly auspicious debut. Here's hoping they do it again.
  3. The quintessential gaming flick it is not, but Advent Children still satisfies, both to fans and casual viewers.