Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children PSP

7.3

1. TyeN.
    Aug 13, 2006
    How could this film turn out so bad? I thought that Square would really put a lot into this film, but it has far more flaws than good things about it. The best thing I can say about this movie is that the CG is good and most of the action is as well. That's about it. Normally I love Nobuo Uematsu's music, but it's integrated into this movie at the most horrible times that How could this film turn out so bad? I thought that Square would really put a lot into this film, but it has far more flaws than good things about it. The best thing I can say about this movie is that the CG is good and most of the action is as well. That's about it. Normally I love Nobuo Uematsu's music, but it's integrated into this movie at the most horrible times that it's very puzzling. And although the CG is good, it's not as smooth as other animated films like Shrek 2, The Incredibles, or even Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within. The action scenes are sometimes exciting, but sometimes the action is hindered by poor direction. The worst thing about this movie, however, is the script. The story and dialogue are terrible. I also wish they had put the other supporting characters in it earlier on rather than having them all in the final fight in very brief cameos. See it if you're a fan I guess, but if not just pass it up. Expand
  2. CharlesT
    Nov 16, 2008
    Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children was certainly entertaining, and that's where it gets its 5. If the fight scenes weren't so utterly ridiculous, i.e. Cloud's friends, throwing him futher and further in the sky, while in the air themselves, seemingly defying the laws of gravity with absolutely no reason as to how they can do this. This and other absurdities really let theFinal Fantasy VII: Advent Children was certainly entertaining, and that's where it gets its 5. If the fight scenes weren't so utterly ridiculous, i.e. Cloud's friends, throwing him futher and further in the sky, while in the air themselves, seemingly defying the laws of gravity with absolutely no reason as to how they can do this. This and other absurdities really let the movie down for me, otherwise the storyline was half decent, script/voice acting pretty good and there were a few laughs in there. Otherwise, poor form Square. Expand
  3. Oct 10, 2011
    Oh, that's cool, evidently movies are filed under games in the PSP section of Metacritic. I mean, it's on a game console, and it comes on a disc, and the games on the game console also come on the same format of disc, so the only logical conclusion is that Advent Children is a game. I love playing as Cloud but I can't get him to do anything besides the same thing he does every single timeOh, that's cool, evidently movies are filed under games in the PSP section of Metacritic. I mean, it's on a game console, and it comes on a disc, and the games on the game console also come on the same format of disc, so the only logical conclusion is that Advent Children is a game. I love playing as Cloud but I can't get him to do anything besides the same thing he does every single time during the first two hours of gameplay. It's like Final Fantasy XIII all over again! Wait, did I say first two hours of gameplay? I meant only two hours! This game is such a rip-off, it's so short, way shorter than any other Final Fantasy. I remember the original Final Fantasy VII had four discs (or was it twenty-seven?) and lasted at least three hours. For shame. Expand
  4. Dec 26, 2012
    Great movie all around...things could've been worked out, but I'm happy that there's at least a good video game movie out there. Well, "good" is giving it too much credit...I would say decent.
  5. Sep 3, 2014
    Everyone has a favorite videogame and I’m sure most people would want that videogame turned into a movie. That happened to my all-time favorite game: Final Fantasy VII. The game came out in 1997, so when I played the game I was only seven years old. Over the years I had played the three-disc game enough times to memorize it by heart. So when I found out in 2004 they were making a movieEveryone has a favorite videogame and I’m sure most people would want that videogame turned into a movie. That happened to my all-time favorite game: Final Fantasy VII. The game came out in 1997, so when I played the game I was only seven years old. Over the years I had played the three-disc game enough times to memorize it by heart. So when I found out in 2004 they were making a movie about it, my heart leapt with joy. When it came out on September 14, 2005 I had already ordered it so I could watch it as soon as possible. (It was only available in Japanese for a long time, so I had to get it from Japan).
    The first great thing that comes to my mind with this movie is the music. Nobuo Uematsu, the film’s composer, never fails to create magnificent music. The game music (which he also did) was already incredible, and he was able to recreate it again to give you an eargasm. You know game music is good when you have it on your iPod like I do.
    The movie was beautifully directed. Every scene was uniquely created with different types of shots that I had never seen before. The breathtaking graphics help reveal the creativeness that the director used. As someone who grew up loving most of the characters, it was quite thrilling to see them as if they were real. Although I can’t complain about the funny, stubby way the characters looked in the original game, I loved seeing them in a whole new light. The fight scenes in the movie were fantastic--especially the final fight with Sephiroth, the main villain of the series.
    When I watched this movie as a 15-year-old, I thought it was perfect. Oh, how I was naïve. Over the years, after seeing the movie many times, I’ve realized they could have done better with the movie. For one, everyone who grew up playing the game was able to experience all the characters thoroughly by using them in the party and being able to see their backstories. It is disappointing to not see all of these characters as much in the movie.
    Of course, we get to see a lot of Cloud (the main character) and Tifa (one of the playable characters). All the other playable characters such as Barret, Cid, Red XIII, etc., who we got to know intimately in the game, we don’t see at all. It would have been more enjoyable if all the other characters had more screen time. One thing I did like was the subtle, beautiful scenes we got to see with Aerith (Heroine of the game). The way Square Enix hides her face until the very end shows how important she is and how they knew we wanted to see her the most.
    Being of a lover of the summon Bahamut (a magical entity that you could use in battle), I thought they made him way too different from his game appearance. He looked artificial and not like a dragon at all. When one of the party members summons Bahamut in the game, he always looked evil, intimidating, and badass. When he was summoned in the movie, he looked like he was made of plastic. What the hell, Square Enix?
    One plot point that I didn’t understand was Cloud taking care of Marlene (even though her dad is Barret) and Denzel, an orphan. He went from mercenary-saving-the-world to a distraught, depressed man that, for some reason, needs to take care of kids that aren’t even his. The story makes it feel like Cloud is being forced to do things he doesn’t want to do. I’m not saying he doesn’t care about them. I know he does. But why does he have to do what everyone else is telling him to do? I really feel like the whole story could have been altered and been so much better. What happened to your skills, Enix?
    With every movie come good and bad things. As a diehard Final Fantasy VII fan, I can’t help but get touchy on the subject. I only wish I could go and talk to Square Enix and Tetsuya Nomura (one of the main creators). I shouldn’t complain too much though. They are the reason my favorite game and character exists, and those stories helped shape who I am as a child.
  6. JamesM
    Dec 31, 2008
    The Good:
    Amazing visuals
    -Exciting action -Does well in slightly extending the FF7 storyline without breaking the magic of it -Good music overall The Bad: -Writing leaves something to be desired -Most of the English voice actors are acceptable but others(Tifa, in particular) will make you cringe -Laws of physics are defied slightly too much to be believable(I realize it is an
    The Good:
    Amazing visuals
    -Exciting action
    -Good music overall
    The Bad:
    -Writing leaves something to be desired
    -Laws of physics are defied slightly too much to be believable(I realize it is an alternate reality, but still...)
    -Sephiroth doesn't take over the world. ;)
  7. EricR
    Apr 3, 2009
    It's script relies too heavily on the assumption you've played the games. (I did, but it was a while ago). Although, it was very well crafted. The editing, camera work, CGI, music, seam together, it's no doubt very well directed and made. Maybe my opinion will change if I play FF7 again.
  8. Nov 21, 2010
    This movie was designed for the people who have played the original game. To those who haven't played the original game, a lack of understanding for the original story line is understandable, and animosity towards the movie is acceptable. However, what isn't acceptable is the mere fact that one will judge and reduce the movie to what it isn't, by stating too much and stating what isThis movie was designed for the people who have played the original game. To those who haven't played the original game, a lack of understanding for the original story line is understandable, and animosity towards the movie is acceptable. However, what isn't acceptable is the mere fact that one will judge and reduce the movie to what it isn't, by stating too much and stating what is untrue.

" Heal yourself from a deadly desease TAKING A BATH". - AlessioP.

One who has played the game will know that it's not a **** "bath". The only reason why Geostigma was able to be cured there was because that church in the slums of Midgar was the only place in Midgar that was flowing with Lifestream, which is also why flowers were only able to grow there, for those who remember the original game.

Such levels of animosity shows ignorance. Of course I'm not blaming people for not understanding it, but don't judge the movie when you don't have the full picture, go do a little **** research. The story did not offer anything new to the franchise, however, this is not **** Harry Potter, there was a plot to the movie, and to understand it, only those who have played the original game could see how the plot fitted in, the plot made sense. Given all this in mind, the plot wasn't fantastic, and you had to be a fan to really appreciate it. And even then, the plot kinda destroyed everything the game was going for. 4/10.

The music was a remastered version of the original game soundtrack, but it was remastered well. 9/10.

The graphics were amazing, that's all there needs to be said. From the fight scenes down to the level of detail in the cityscape, it's no surprise that this movie was "Final Fantasy". 9/10.

By the way, Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within had no affiliation to the series "Final Fantasy". You would be a fool to think so. In summary: This movie is only aesthetically pleasing, but very aesthetically pleasing at that. Original players of the game will appreciate some of the "Finishing Touches" made to the film, but beyond that, the plot only serves as detrimental to the story. 7/10.
  9. Aug 11, 2012
    The movie is decent, but it really butchers the story of Final Fantasy 7 and has many things which upset me. I didn't want to list them here, since most people reading these reviews have not seen the movie, but if you're a Final Fantasy 7 fan this may not be worth watching. The visuals are great, but the story is hard to follow and many other things, but the revised version released inThe movie is decent, but it really butchers the story of Final Fantasy 7 and has many things which upset me. I didn't want to list them here, since most people reading these reviews have not seen the movie, but if you're a Final Fantasy 7 fan this may not be worth watching. The visuals are great, but the story is hard to follow and many other things, but the revised version released in 2009 is much better (still not great though). Expand
  10. Jan 4, 2015
    The gameplay in this was **** terrible! *JOKING!*
    A very well done sequel MOVIE to one of the greatest games ever made.
    There are a few minor things I could have lived without, namely Denzel. That character didn't need to be in the movie at all. I really have no idea why he's there.

The Making of Advent Children, is easily the best of all the features. In lieu of a commentary track, this is the only bridge between fans and the creation of this beautiful work.
    It's an amazing technical feat that Nomura's team have pulled off here, and an impressive first foray into the alien world of movie making. Coming from a team that's used to making CG cinemas less than five minutes long, Advent Children is a surprisingly auspicious debut. Here's hoping they do it again.
  3. The quintessential gaming flick it is not, but Advent Children still satisfies, both to fans and casual viewers.