7.2

1. Sep 9, 2011
    Take-Two have obviously payed for reviews. The game is well structured, and is fun quite a lot, but it's not amazing. I would recommend you buy it, but don't expect something amazing.
  2. MutiG
    Oct 30, 2009
    This game must be phenomenal on the DS. It may even be a breakthrough game. This is NOT the case on the PSP. There have already been two GTAs on the PSP, and they both trump Chinatown Wars in every way. The graphics are a HUGE backstep, and there are NO VOICE OVERS! The gameplay has been dumbed down, and the characters are candy coated and pg-13. I am not sure where all this positive This game must be phenomenal on the DS. It may even be a breakthrough game. This is NOT the case on the PSP. There have already been two GTAs on the PSP, and they both trump Chinatown Wars in every way. The graphics are a HUGE backstep, and there are NO VOICE OVERS! The gameplay has been dumbed down, and the characters are candy coated and pg-13. I am not sure where all this positive attention is coming from, but I can tell you one thing, the cheers originate from DS owners, and we are simply hearing echoes on the PSP. I am not saying Chinatown wars is a bad game, it is just not NEARLY as good as either of the other two offerings on the PSP. Congratulations DS, you finally have one in your stable. PSP owners, keep your expectations low. Expand
  3. trixw
    Dec 28, 2009
    Didn't like the music, the gameplay is less immersive than the other GTA games, weak story...not a 10.
  4. MarcDoyle(GamesEditor&Co-Founder-Metacritic)
    Oct 23, 2009
    GameSpy reviewed GTA: Chinatown Wars (PSP), but they have since removed the review from their site. I removed the review exerpt and 70 score (originally a 3.5 stars on their site) from Metacritic after speaking with the GameSpy team regarding the situation. I am satified that GameSpy's decision to de-publish the review was an independent and principled one. Per GameSpy's GameSpy reviewed GTA: Chinatown Wars (PSP), but they have since removed the review from their site. I removed the review exerpt and 70 score (originally a 3.5 stars on their site) from Metacritic after speaking with the GameSpy team regarding the situation. I am satified that GameSpy's decision to de-publish the review was an independent and principled one. Per GameSpy's Editor's Note: "We have decided to remove our review of Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars after finding some factual inaccuracies in the text. We apologize for the error and any confusion this might have caused, but we're dedicated to making sure we bring you the most informed and honest reviews possible." (http://bit.ly/3Kak8v) Metacritic's original excerpt taken from the de-published review reads as follows: "So, while Chinatown Wars is a solid, entertaining title for the PSP, it simply lacks the oomph and 'oh wow!' factor that it had on DS." Expand

As a PSP game, it's still a well-done portable GTA; not necessarily a better one than before. But that's fine; it's still worth playing Chinatown Wars for those bite-size bits of the GTA formula, and if you're still warm to it, then definitely give it a go.
    An absolute blast from start to finish with plenty of trademark Liberty City locales ripe for exploration, not to mention a cast of incredibly memory characters (Chan Jaoming, I hardly knew ya.) If you're looking for a good action adventure experience that harkens back to the more cartoony Grand Theft Auto days, then Chinatown Wars is certainly worth the investment.
  3. Chinatown Wars on PSP was always going to be a port job, and though it soils some of DS original's intuitive mini-games it maintains the inventive, thoroughly entertaining and built-for-handheld mission structure of the original - and that's what we loved most in the first place.