Gungnir PSP

• Publisher: Atlus
  • Release Date: Jun 12, 2012
7.9

1. Jun 17, 2012
    First impressions: For one, disregard the official 'critic' who wrote that the story does not develop for twelve hours, it develops quite fast and with excellent writing within the first hour! All fans of Tactics Ogre, Final Fantasy Tactics and similarFirst impressions: For one, disregard the official 'critic' who wrote that the story does not develop for twelve hours, it develops quite fast and with excellent writing within the first hour! All fans of Tactics Ogre, Final Fantasy Tactics and similar games will immediately feel right at home. I've been playing tactical RPGs since Sega's original Shining Force, and this one is on par with any of the aforementioned games in quality of story and emotional attachment you will develop toward that characters. Graphics are excellent, the combat is intuitive, maps are varied and challenging, yet not overly so, unit upgrades and hiring is fun and well thought out though not ground breaking, and the musical score is beautiful and haunting.

This game is WELL worth the price tag of $29.99. You will NOT regret it!
  2. Oct 16, 2012
    Terrible gaming mechanics, and touch of unbalance game-play, and a lack-luster story = Gungnir. The visual presentation is top notch and the music is great, but outside of that, this isn't a good SJRPG at all. A easy pass, and a last disappointing way too return to the psp. Most of the offical critics got it right this time around.
  3. Jul 31, 2012
    Gungnir is a good game with a nice story and some good tactical battles, a shame it's rather short and too simple for its own good, despite Sting's fame for complex battles. Still, it's a nice pick for any strategy fan, even if I think Growlanser is by far stronger, better and deeper than this if you're to buy a new Psp game.
  4. Oct 26, 2014
    I actually enjoyed the multiple storylines this game has to offer, and I'm not usually one to do that. The storylines differ based on the difficulty curve - if your units get killed, you'll get a better outcome next level in a very early stage to help you along. This seems to be a very early stage only. I don't think losing the units again would prove worth it. Since I have discussed thisI actually enjoyed the multiple storylines this game has to offer, and I'm not usually one to do that. The storylines differ based on the difficulty curve - if your units get killed, you'll get a better outcome next level in a very early stage to help you along. This seems to be a very early stage only. I don't think losing the units again would prove worth it. Since I have discussed this gameplay mechanic and not spoiled anything I haven't included spoilers in my review. I wouldn't buy this trpg game and Hoshigami because unlike Hoshigami this trpg game Rewards you for moving your units. Expand
  5. Jul 11, 2015
    The game itself was great yet felt short. In terms of the plot, I enjoyed it. Battle System and Mechanics, felt short in a sense that it's just the old, plain, basic system tweaked to change it for the sake of changing it. The visuals were oh so stunning. I summon everytime just to watch it again and again. And that's one of the bad yet realistic element of the game. When you summon, youThe game itself was great yet felt short. In terms of the plot, I enjoyed it. Battle System and Mechanics, felt short in a sense that it's just the old, plain, basic system tweaked to change it for the sake of changing it. The visuals were oh so stunning. I summon everytime just to watch it again and again. And that's one of the bad yet realistic element of the game. When you summon, you can get hit also. But how come did you acquire it without being able to control who it attacks. There were bugs. But still, Gungnir can be considered as one of the best tactical rpgs of the PSP console. But not as great as Tactics Ogre, FFTWOTL and Jeanne D'Arc Expand

#3 Most Discussed PSP Game of 2012
#1 Most Shared PSP Game of 2012

1. Aug 13, 2012
    If you're a more casual RPG player, you might want to give Gungnir a pass, but if you are a connoisseur of the SRPG genre, then Gungnir will delight you like few other games will.
  2. Aug 1, 2012
    Gungnir is a fine addition to the Dept. Heaven series of Sting games. It's got enough content to last a good 30+ hours, and offers an immense challenge that even tactical professionals will have a hard time tackling. Coupled with an intriguing story and Atlus' excellent localization, this game definitely shouldn't be missed by PSP owners.
  3. Jul 10, 2012
    It'll scratch the itch of hardcore strategy fans, but there's not a ton to miss by skipping it, either.