Jeanne d'Arc PSP

• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Aug 21, 2007
8.2

1. Oct 28, 2014
    You may have noticed the words "Enemy phase" in some screenshots of this game. That is because there is no queue to be found, just your turn and the enemy's turn.
  2. Dec 18, 2013
    A very satisfying turn-based JRPG all-around. The game starts out very slow, but after a few stages both the story and the gameplay pick up. The characters are for the most part interesting, and you feel for the characters when something bad happens to them. The gameplay can get repetitive at times, but the number of characters, variety of skills and gear, and bonus stages keep theA very satisfying turn-based JRPG all-around. The game starts out very slow, but after a few stages both the story and the gameplay pick up. The characters are for the most part interesting, and you feel for the characters when something bad happens to them. The gameplay can get repetitive at times, but the number of characters, variety of skills and gear, and bonus stages keep the gameplay interesting. The only major weaknesses in the game are the relatively low replay value and the fact that some characters are a pain to use and level up. Expand
  3. Sep 6, 2013
    Jeanne d'Arc was a relatively early PSP release, and an interesting one too.

The story may have been borrowed from the past, but there's a cool fantasy twist on it, and the traditionally animated cutscenes are fun to watch. The gameplay is basically what you would see in classic tactical RPGs, but I have to emphasize how polished the mechanics are. The way each character's unique
    Jeanne d'Arc was a relatively early PSP release, and an interesting one too.

The gameplay is basically what you would see in classic tactical RPGs, but I have to emphasize how polished the mechanics are. The way each character's unique ability fits in with one another really adds to the strategy element. You just have to try this out for yourself. However, it is a little too "beginner friendly", as your team usually has the upper hand in most fights to carry you through the game. So, if you're looking for a punishing challenge, you should look somewhere else.

Presentation-wise, everything from the colourful visuals to the dramatic voice acting is very high quality.

It's a great piece of work, so I recommend picking this up if you're into a unique story driven tactical RPG game.
  4. Mar 30, 2013
    This is a great tactical RPG game. The main advantage is deep turn-based combat, where you need to use any of your troops and skills wisely, the battles have many nuances. The story is decent though of course it has little in common with real history. The characters are memorable, the dialogues are lame sometimes. The anime cutscenes are nice. Also the game has pretty graphics andThis is a great tactical RPG game. The main advantage is deep turn-based combat, where you need to use any of your troops and skills wisely, the battles have many nuances. The story is decent though of course it has little in common with real history. The characters are memorable, the dialogues are lame sometimes. The anime cutscenes are nice. Also the game has pretty graphics and addictive gameplay. Expand
  5. Nov 23, 2011
    Not impressed. The graphics are great for PSP, and I love me some turn-based RPGs. However, what's with the super-archaic turn structure? Super slow heavily-armored knights get to move just as many times as my super fast thief guy (with the exception of Jeanne's special ability, which will have her skipping all over the entire level, killing 4-5 guys in a single turn)? Spells and skillsNot impressed. The graphics are great for PSP, and I love me some turn-based RPGs. However, what's with the super-archaic turn structure? Super slow heavily-armored knights get to move just as many times as my super fast thief guy (with the exception of Jeanne's special ability, which will have her skipping all over the entire level, killing 4-5 guys in a single turn)? Spells and skills don't have to charge at all? Every single one of my units gets to move before every single one of their units does? Forgive me for making the comparison, but this is nowhere near the strategy level of Disgaea or Final Fantasy Tactics. It feels like a beginner's introduction into turn-based games (which never needed an introduction). The whole point of mixing which team moves when (one of mine goes, one of theirs goes, 2 of mine go, etc etc) is to give it a vaguely real-time feel. This game feels like the enemy stands there waiting for all my people to move and attack, until finally asking "is it my turn now?"

Production values are very high (liberties with the story aside), and you can tell it was well-thought out and executed, but given the cons I listed above and the stupidly arbitrary mission-success requirements (ie you have to "escape" your enemies by making it to one edge of the map, but you can still fail even if you kill them all), I will probably never end up playing it again.
  6. Jul 19, 2011
    The most awesome game on PSP, period.
    Don't believe those who say it's not as good as Final Fantasy Tactics, as it is in fact much better! But don't take my word for it...
    The most awesome game on PSP, period.

Quick question: What do God Of War, MGS, GTA, Final Fantasy, and all the other games that are rated higher than this one have in common? Answer: All of them are part of a franchise that was already massively successful, before a new episode was ported to the PSP.

As one of the few people who tried the PSP versions of the new franchise episodes with fresh eyes, from not having played almost any of the previous instances from these series on any other platform, I can't help but find that scores are massively biased. God Of War, GTA, FFVII, Persona 3? Meh. MGS? Will never come close as its first instalment on PS1. The only title from an existing franchise actually worth its place around the top on PSP is Ridge Racer. If critics were actually objective, all the others would be much lower rated.

But let's also compare with non franchise games: Lumines better than Jeanne D'Arc? Not a chance. The Lumines guys haven't spent 10% of the development time that went into Jeanne D'Arc, and, as addictive as the game may be to some, it shows.
    Siphon Filter: very good game, which deserves a lot of credit for managing to be highly playable despite Sony's idiotic lack of insight with regards to the second analog stick. But still a bit too predictable and not as polished.
    And then you get all the stuff like Patapon, LocoRoco, LittleBigPlanet, etc., that tries so hard that it actually gets into the way of the gameplay.

Sorry, but this game is miles above the rest, graphically, story-wise and in terms of playability and, what matters most, enjoyment for players. Truly of a class of its own!
  7. Jul 8, 2011
    Truly a sleeper hit I could easily have missed, if you enjoy tactical fantasy games this is a must play. The theme might seem off-putting but it is actually well handled from a fantasy perspective. From a historical perspective there are someserious liberties taken, but there is just enough true history to make this fairytale a great story and a lot of fun. Graphics and sound are quiteTruly a sleeper hit I could easily have missed, if you enjoy tactical fantasy games this is a must play. The theme might seem off-putting but it is actually well handled from a fantasy perspective. From a historical perspective there are someserious liberties taken, but there is just enough true history to make this fairytale a great story and a lot of fun. Graphics and sound are quite impressive to boot. Expand
  8. LudwigV.
    Oct 4, 2009
    I really wasn't impressed with this game. I heard great reviews picked it up tried it for a couple of hours, is the beginning cliche or what? As someone who knows the history of Joan of Arc quite well I am not impressed. I expected a much different game. I tried to grab on to something about this game to make me like it so it wasn't a complete waste but I just couldn't, evenI really wasn't impressed with this game. I heard great reviews picked it up tried it for a couple of hours, is the beginning cliche or what? As someone who knows the history of Joan of Arc quite well I am not impressed. I expected a much different game. I tried to grab on to something about this game to make me like it so it wasn't a complete waste but I just couldn't, even the battle system has been done better by older games (Disgaea, FFT) Collapse
  9. SeanKim
    Jan 4, 2009
    Entertaining game... the animated cutscenes are top-notch, it's a shame that there are any game-engine rendered cutscenes. I also liked the voice acting, although I was slightly irked that there was no option to change to japanese instead of english. (But I digress...) Personally, this game was WAY too easy. With no difficulty slider and no monsters past level 60, I got Jeanne up toEntertaining game... the animated cutscenes are top-notch, it's a shame that there are any game-engine rendered cutscenes. I also liked the voice acting, although I was slightly irked that there was no option to change to japanese instead of english. (But I digress...) Personally, this game was WAY too easy. With no difficulty slider and no monsters past level 60, I got Jeanne up to level 90 and was able to solo damn near the entire game. Normally, that wouldn't be such a bad thing, but in a game designed with team-play and small unit tactics in mind, the ability to solo and be successful flies in the face of the intent of the game maker. The EXP system awarded points for damn near everything you did, and thus by singling out injured enemies with one character, you ended up with a character, in the end, that was 30+ levels ahead of Henry VI, which made the boss fight a joke. Although the game is a very well-crafted in terms of presentation and battle mechanics, the improper game balancing killed the experience, thus rating the average 7 rating. Expand
  10. PhilJ.
    Aug 3, 2008
    The cut scenes are absolutely amazing (especially the intro)! I really enjoy this game, even though it's not as fun as Final Fantasy. What makes it great is you can customize your characters in a very flexible manner. I am really addicted to this! Worth the price.
  11. AJ.
    Jul 5, 2008
    Great game. love the characters and storyline only problem is it doesn't keep you very interested to keep playing after you beat the game.
  12. MichaelF.
    Apr 29, 2008
    This is a fantastic title for any system and is a brilliant combination of style, story, and gameplay. Anyone remotely interested in strategy or role playing games owes it to themselves to try this game.
  13. CharlesS.
    Apr 7, 2008
    After being totally let down by the titles for the PSP, imagine my surprise at finding this gem! While lacking the same gameplay mechanics and depth of Final Fantasy Tactics, this game manages to bring out some of the best features. Animes cutscenes, in-depth skill customization and creation, and dare I say it even tries to stay historically accurate (outside of the demons and what not). After being totally let down by the titles for the PSP, imagine my surprise at finding this gem! While lacking the same gameplay mechanics and depth of Final Fantasy Tactics, this game manages to bring out some of the best features. Animes cutscenes, in-depth skill customization and creation, and dare I say it even tries to stay historically accurate (outside of the demons and what not). This game is a must have for any fan of the genre! Expand
  14. KristianA.
    Jan 27, 2008
    Truly an amazing work of art. Amazin story-line and charecters. You should buy a PSP just for this!
  15. KrsitianN.
    Dec 18, 2007
    Clearly one of the best games ever. It has amazing graphics, story, characters etc. For all you hardcore Tactical RPG payers out there this is definetly for you.
  16. MinatoNamikaze
    Oct 24, 2007
    This game was great if you like tactical RPG's but what realy dissapointed me is that Jeannne herself dies in the game and the other chic who was travelling with her became your manditory choice and she was so weak on my level...!!!!! but all in all it was a good game
  17. ChrisJ.
    Oct 11, 2007
    An amazing piece of work. Seriously i was going to give up my PSP. Give up. But then i played this. A refreshing tactics game. Anime cut scenes depict certain key scenes and add a nice life like vibe. I dont care for anime to much but i felt that it belonged with this game and actually made it better. Gameplay: ------------- Much like final fantasy tactics or Tactics Ogre. A turnbased An amazing piece of work. Seriously i was going to give up my PSP. Give up. But then i played this. A refreshing tactics game. Anime cut scenes depict certain key scenes and add a nice life like vibe. I dont care for anime to much but i felt that it belonged with this game and actually made it better. Gameplay: ------------- Much like final fantasy tactics or Tactics Ogre. A turnbased combat game. A defense system that works when your allies are close is an interesting twist, making you move in packs that takes time. After time the speed is a little slow. After a town is done on the world map it can be replayed as a basic battle to build stats. Skills are are great and interesting. Some can only be found by binding, o combining the two together. Pros: Great turnbased with interesting game mechanics Cons: Not enough weapons, i felt limited. Slow combat sometimes but thats very minor. Sound: --------- Not bad voices are there and growls. FIre sounds like fire etc. During the Anime cut scenes. Music gets repatitive. Pros: Actual voices! Footsteps, well rounded Cons: Music gets old not too long in to the game Controls: ------------ Flawless, perfect Just amazing very fluid. I love it! Pros: Fast controls easy to use Cons: None A must have for any strategist. Maybe to slow for people who cant appreciate good games when they play it. If you dont like this game go play madden. Because your worthless. Expand
  18. ChadC.
    Oct 5, 2007
    While its no where near as good as final fantasy tactics its still a must own game if only to tide you over till tactics comes out.
  19. Ezekial
    Sep 5, 2007
    SRPG Gold, I havent enjoyed a stratagy RPG this much since Final Fantasy Tactics.
  20. MichaelJ.
    Aug 30, 2007
    Great game. If you like Tactical Role-Playing Games you will really enjoy this game. A must buy for any PSP owner.
  21. RavenX301
    Aug 29, 2007
    I turly enjoy this game. I love SRPG's ever sense I played Dieagea. However, I miss being able to pick my own team instead of having to use computer made and placed charaters. Also you can not change a charaters weopen class which is kinda of werid. But all in all it is a PSP game and without a doubt the greatest of the bunch. Absolutly 10! (or 11).
  22. ChrisN.
    Aug 26, 2007
    WOW! I'm not usually and RPG fan but picked this game up based on trailers and previews - what a great decision that was! I haven't been able to put it down. Stunning graphics, zero load times, deep strategy, engaging plot. Best game for my PSP so far.
  23. Enzo
    Aug 23, 2007
    Wow....if you loved Final Fantasy Tactics then you'll love this game. The gameplay is addicting and the story is one that keeps you going for hours. This game is worth every penny.

#4 Most Discussed PSP Game of 2007
#44 Most Shared PSP Game of 2007

1. Play Magazine
    This looks more like a triple-A PS2 game than a PSP game, and it weighs in at 40-plus hours. [Aug 2007, p.70]
  2. By all means for you SRPG fans out there pick this game up! I can guarantee that you will not be disappointed! I myself have still yet to clear this game and it seems that there will be more than enough volume left to satisfy the casual to the hardcore gamers. This is one game that is worth its weight in gold. [JPN Import]
  3. Hardcore Gamer
    There's just the right mix of story and gameplay, with a couple of cool twists thrown into both for good measure. [Sept 2007, p.69]