Lumines PSP

• Release Date: Mar 22, 2005
6.6

1. FlintZA
    Jul 5, 2005
    This has to be the single most overrated game I have played in years. It's a Tetris clone where the music responds to your actions. Big whoop. The timeline leads to some potentially interesting combos, but it certainly doesn't have the level of depth to warrent a score over 60%. How this rated higher than the utterly brilliant Mercury will always be a mystery to me.
  2. Assimov
    May 20, 2007
    Its a typical puzzle game, and like any other is addictive. Music and video, is no great for my taste and don't make me the playtime better. GameSharing only transfer a One Player Demo to the other PSP. So, don't give the buyer any value (that's not game sharing for me). Score Records, don't let the player select his name, for one console shared into a family. It can Its a typical puzzle game, and like any other is addictive. Music and video, is no great for my taste and don't make me the playtime better. GameSharing only transfer a One Player Demo to the other PSP. So, don't give the buyer any value (that's not game sharing for me). Score Records, don't let the player select his name, for one console shared into a family. It can be OK buying it at low price, but there are many other puzzle games. Expand
  3. Martyn
    Apr 25, 2005
    This game borrows heavily from similar games, especially Tetris, but is still unique enough to be lots of fun. There is a slight feeling of sensory overload when playing it, there are too many unneccesary objects moving and flashing on the screen. Nevertheless these are small criticisms, I give it a solid 7/10 it's definitely worth buying.
  4. MichaelL.
    Sep 23, 2006
    A fun game, but not the wonderful puzzle the reviews promised. The music intergrate would be good, if the music was something more my taste. Better Tetris alikes exist, Metros and Tetris DS come to mind.
  5. JonathanZ.
    Oct 3, 2005
    Just to make matters clear, Lumines is the audio-visual equivalent of crack. I just don't know how else to put it. I more addicted to this game than I was to Tetris, and that's saying quite a bit. The premise is simple: form as many squares of the same color as you can without going past the top of a grid. You're given squares divided into four smaller parts and two Just to make matters clear, Lumines is the audio-visual equivalent of crack. I just don't know how else to put it. I more addicted to this game than I was to Tetris, and that's saying quite a bit. The premise is simple: form as many squares of the same color as you can without going past the top of a grid. You're given squares divided into four smaller parts and two different colors. There is the obligatory "magic block" that you will come to love, for when it is included in a any combo, it gets rid of all blocks of the same color that touch it, which in turn do the same for the blocks around them, leading to a massive combo. This is a solid game mechanic, but it isn't what makes Lumines great. No, that would be the music, wonderful electronic anthems that react to how well you're doing. Doing well? You'll hear a triumphant upsurge in beats that lifts your very being. Not doing so hot? The music will dwindle away to nothing but the most rudimentary notes. As you progress, you'll get to new songs and color schemes, making each level feel fresh (unlike the monotony of other puzzle games). You'd best pay attention to the tempo, since it determines how soon your combos will be cleared off the grid. BOTTOM LINE: There's always time to match a few more blocks. Doesn't matter if you're just waiting in line or you have an entire afternoon to devote to the activity. Collapse
  6. JL
    Mar 25, 2005
    Take the music out an you get another game thats no mroe fun than all the other kind of games in this genre.
  7. RobinH.
    Sep 10, 2005
    I 'd actually give this game a 6.5 - one half point higher than Meteos - just because the music and graphics are more polished. Overall, the pacing just sucks. I don't want to play for 45 minutes to get to the part that's interesting. Needs a save/level feature.
  8. DD
    Sep 21, 2006
    Just don't get it. So many high scoring reviews prompted me to buy this game for my PSP.... but it's just average. A fusion of game and music? - hardly - I'd prefer Tetris.
  9. Matt
    Dec 15, 2005
    Enjoyable puzzler that is attractive and addictive, if not quite the Tetris contender it was billed as.
  10. WeirdN.
    Sep 19, 2005
    This is a good pick up and play puzzler with a few flaws which aren't fatal but are annoying. Firstly the rewards aren't great enough. You unlock skins etc. but as it takes me about 30 mins to get to 100,000 points I really can't be bothered to carry on. The Vs. challenge with the CPU gets ridiculously hard ridiculously fast as well. However, the graphics and music are good This is a good pick up and play puzzler with a few flaws which aren't fatal but are annoying. Firstly the rewards aren't great enough. You unlock skins etc. but as it takes me about 30 mins to get to 100,000 points I really can't be bothered to carry on. The Vs. challenge with the CPU gets ridiculously hard ridiculously fast as well. However, the graphics and music are good with lots of original content and ideas. I'm still playing this for the same reason I still play Tetris - It's a solid puzzle concept with enough flair to keep it interesting. My girlfriend also loves this game which made it easier to justify buying the PSP in the first place! Expand
  11. Nick
    Dec 8, 2007
    Extremely normal puzzle game. Changes music and graphics nicely, but at the end of the day its just a variation of columns from the gamegear done on the psp. ... and the good news for colourblind players is that it uses just two block colours, Note that it is just one puzzle, not a collection of different puzzle games. The different modes are variations on the theme.

#2 Most Discussed PSP Game of 2005
#30 Most Shared PSP Game of 2005

1. With a fantastic selection of memorable catchy tunes moulded together with a simple easy to learn and addictive gameplay, Lumines is the perfect game for a handheld whether you have just ten minutes or a long two hours to kill.
  2. As a handheld game, Lumines excels in almost every conceivable way.
  3. AceGamez
    Lumines is taking over my life, but this is where the main flaw lies; the better you get, the longer it takes to complete one round. It's not unusual now that I've cracked the 100,000 points mark for one play to last an hour, which kind of defeats the whole quick blast of gameplay on the bus quality that games of this type usually have.