Lumines PSP

• Publisher: Ubisoft
  • Release Date: Mar 22, 2005
6.7

1. May 12, 2011
    Not sure what all the hate is about. Yes this is similar to Tetris but it's still beautiful, fun and addicting. If you want a fun puzzle game then definitely check this game out.
  2. ZacheryG.
    Jul 8, 2006
    I only rate games that are worth being rated. Good game!
  3. MarcD.
    Apr 2, 2005
    I'm absolute crap at puzzle games and I try to keep a distance from the genre, but I have this game. Guess that speaks volumes about it's quality.
  4. DavidG.
    Apr 8, 2005
    What can i say? This highly addictive game is just awesome. It is pure fun enveloped in a musical and logical, non-violent case.
  5. CarlS.
    Jul 26, 2005
    The reason, Flint, that this game is rated better than mercury is because this game doesn't star a retarted blob of mercury. Lumines is an amazing game which outshines any other handheld game I have ever played. Awesome.
  6. ToddSmith
    Nov 4, 2008
    This is probably one of the best games the PSP can offer. The gameplay is very addictive, it looks and sounds great, and it can be found in your local bargain bin.

It's one of those games which you can play for 5 minutes while waiting at a bus stop or play hours upon hours to get a new high score.

It's great all around.
  7. DaveC.
    Oct 12, 2005
    The previous 0-scoring reviewer has clearly never played Lumines and is judging the game purely on percieved technical deficiencies, and thus cannot ever hope to understand its addictive charm. Ownership of this game should be mandatory for all PSP owners. It doesn't show off the PSP's hardware and isn't particularly new or original in concept, but the unique way in which The previous 0-scoring reviewer has clearly never played Lumines and is judging the game purely on percieved technical deficiencies, and thus cannot ever hope to understand its addictive charm. Ownership of this game should be mandatory for all PSP owners. It doesn't show off the PSP's hardware and isn't particularly new or original in concept, but the unique way in which everything is presented makes it totally compelling. If you like having fun and you aren't put off by a total lack of flashy 3D graphics, you must buy this game. Expand
  8. RichardM.
    Oct 5, 2005
    I love this game!! Even when I'm not playing I see blocks and hear the music. It's more addicting than tetris was!
  9. BrianB.
    Mar 30, 2005
    Lumines is an amazing game with an awesome soundtrack and graphics. It's fun, challenging, and addictive. I haven't enjoyed a puzzle game this much since the original Tetris. This is definitely a game I'll keep coming back to. Matthew J., you most likely don't own a PSP and sure seem to be a huge fan of a DS game you've never played. I thought fanboys were a thing Lumines is an amazing game with an awesome soundtrack and graphics. It's fun, challenging, and addictive. I haven't enjoyed a puzzle game this much since the original Tetris. This is definitely a game I'll keep coming back to. Matthew J., you most likely don't own a PSP and sure seem to be a huge fan of a DS game you've never played. I thought fanboys were a thing of the past. [Ed: think again.] Expand
  10. MikeH.
    Apr 25, 2005
    The one thing that I can say about this game is that it is like "DIGITAL CRACK" I have not been able to put it down since I bought it. Great Game.
  11. MatthewS.
    May 20, 2005
    Excellent. Buy it now!!
  12. AlejandroW.
    Jun 20, 2005
    Didn't think a puzzle game would be any good, but i was wrong. When i first started playing this game i thought it was a little boring, but when you get used to it, its the greatest game and you will never be able to put it down. Very addicting.
  13. Aubilenon
    Jun 26, 2005
    I am a sucker for puzzle games, and this is one of the best I have played. The integration of gameplay sound fx and music raise it to an art form, similar to the PS2 game Rez. Gameplay is simple and elegant, yet rich and challenging, and ultimately, quite compelling.
  14. Acrodude48
    Aug 30, 2005
    Are you people out of your mind this game is the best game ever.the music is cool and it takes forever to beat meaning it lasts and its worth 40 bucks.
  15. NickB.
    Sep 11, 2005
    The latest gamers' crack. Has that Tetris vibe and lots of bells and whistles to make it pretty along the way. Easy to sit back and play for long periods. One of the few games I know I will keep around for the life of my PSP.
  16. KevinR.
    Feb 24, 2006
    My girlfriend is addicted to this game and so it keeps her quiet. Normally this is a good thing and would lead to a 10/10 score. However her monopolising my PSP to play Lumines means that I cannot play the games I like!
  17. KristenB.
    Mar 9, 2006
    Love this game - looking to purchase for other gaming systems.
  18. AndrewN.
    Jun 1, 2007
    Love them or hate them puzzle games are 10 penny a go on PSP. Some are easy and others are stupidly hard. Lumines stands out from the crowd by being a unique and captivating puzzler. It takes ideas from the tetris formula but manages to create its own identity with the addition of skins and music which change every few levels. It also does a good job of keeping the difficulty balanced Love them or hate them puzzle games are 10 penny a go on PSP. Some are easy and others are stupidly hard. Lumines stands out from the crowd by being a unique and captivating puzzler. It takes ideas from the tetris formula but manages to create its own identity with the addition of skins and music which change every few levels. It also does a good job of keeping the difficulty balanced throughout. Highly recommended. Expand
  19. Nessa
    Nov 5, 2005
    It's So Addicting, It Should Be Illegal!!! (thank goodness its not!)
  20. DemonicAngel
    Oct 8, 2005
    Let's get the problems out of the way to begin with. Firstly, the challenge mode always plays the same skins in the same order, meaning you're bound to get tired of the first few after a couple of weeks. Secondly, the CPU VS mode has the same little quirk. Some option to save your progress after every, say, 10 skins would have been a nice thought ... Now, with that said, Lumines Let's get the problems out of the way to begin with. Firstly, the challenge mode always plays the same skins in the same order, meaning you're bound to get tired of the first few after a couple of weeks. Secondly, the CPU VS mode has the same little quirk. Some option to save your progress after every, say, 10 skins would have been a nice thought ... Now, with that said, Lumines is enough reason in itself to own a PSP. The basic concept isn't all that original - you have two different colours of blocks which come in squares of four, 6 different combinations in total, and you have to arrange them as they fall so that they form 2x2 squares of the same colour. These are cleared by a timeline which passes across the playing field from left to right. The more squares you clear at once, the more points you get. But it's the execution where Lumines really shines. As you progress through the game, you unlock various different skins, which not only affect the look of the game, but also the music and, crucially, the speed of the timeline. The music and visuals also dynamically change with the flow of the game. Musical themes range from driving techno, dance, trance, jazz, abstract electronica, and even traditional Japanese instrumental music, and the skins are all vibrant and lushly animated. What this all adds up to is an utterly mesmerising, almost Zen-like experience. It's a shame there isn't a random shuffle mode for the skin changes, but with all this addictive, trance-like gameplay on offer, who am I to complain? Very highly recommended. Expand
  21. SimonP.
    Mar 21, 2005
    To set the context of this review - I normally hate puzzle games and I bought this game as a stop-gap while waiting for PSP releases from Japan to pick up and I didn't expect much from it. I was wrong. Firstly, Lumines is more than a simple puzzler. It's a superbly presented coherent package of sound, visuals and gameplay which really should be played with earphones to be fully To set the context of this review - I normally hate puzzle games and I bought this game as a stop-gap while waiting for PSP releases from Japan to pick up and I didn't expect much from it. I was wrong. Firstly, Lumines is more than a simple puzzler. It's a superbly presented coherent package of sound, visuals and gameplay which really should be played with earphones to be fully appreciated. The basic premise is very simple; blocks of coloured squares drop from above and must be arranged to form a single coloured block of four. A bar crosses the screen in time with the music. Once the bar has reached the end any blocks of four that you've formed will delete. Before this happens you have a few seconds for some frantic chain building to gain higher scores. Sounds simple because it is but it's also one of the most addictive, stylish and immersive games I've played. As the game progresses you unlock more and more 'skins' - these are essentially just a different look and soundscape against which to play, but each is very distinctive in style and unlocking a new one is very satisfying. There are other game modes - single skin mode (in which you can chosse any of the skins you've unlocked), 2 player, time attack, vs CPU etc - all in all a fairly complete package with huge replay value. The superb Ridge Racers is certainly the game of the moment to show off the power of the PSP but this is easily for me the best PSP game so far. Expand
  22. JayK.
    Mar 24, 2005
    Wow. This is one of the most beautiful, immersive, and addictive games I've ever played, and it is easily the best puzzle game I've ever played. Wipeout Pure is great, but this is unbelievable. Play this with headphones, and turn it up. The music is WAY better than the music in Rez, for those wondering. Whatever. Get this game.
  23. BlakeT.
    Mar 25, 2005
    Don't buy this game if you have family, a job, or a life - because if you do, you can kiss all of those goodbye. This amazing puzzle game defines addiction. It has beautiful graphics for a puzzle game and a great soundtrack. You will find it very difficult to put this one down.
  24. Gazza
    Mar 4, 2005
    Decent graphics, decent-ish music, very addictive gameplay - a game can easily last hours due to the nature of the game as the speed doesn't vary very much (unlike Tetris for example that steadily increased in speed) and the gameplay is relatively simple; your attention is also held by the cycling music and graphics. I don't think it will be remembered as a classic, but if Decent graphics, decent-ish music, very addictive gameplay - a game can easily last hours due to the nature of the game as the speed doesn't vary very much (unlike Tetris for example that steadily increased in speed) and the gameplay is relatively simple; your attention is also held by the cycling music and graphics. I don't think it will be remembered as a classic, but if you're getting bored of Ridge Racers it will definitely fill the gap until the rush of the forthcoming release titles. Expand
  25. MarcD.
    Apr 29, 2005
    Lumines is THE game to get with your new PSP. Pick it up with WipEout Pure, but don't be an idiot -- get this damned game. I've talked to a bunch of people who have it, including random foks at airports, slackers at EB, etc. They all have multiple games, and they all play Lumines most of the time. In my opinion, it's MUCH more addictive than Tetris. The music, the skins,Lumines is THE game to get with your new PSP. Pick it up with WipEout Pure, but don't be an idiot -- get this damned game. I've talked to a bunch of people who have it, including random foks at airports, slackers at EB, etc. They all have multiple games, and they all play Lumines most of the time. In my opinion, it's MUCH more addictive than Tetris. The music, the skins, the pacing, the balance -- much more soothing than any other puzzle game I've played. Feeling stressed?? Lumines. Need to zone out for 90 minutes? Lumines. Waiting in line at El Pollo Loco? Lumines (but be careful -- this sucker tends to draw crowds). Expand
  26. Pat
    Apr 7, 2005
    Good god...what an amazing game. I totally vouch for those out there who have talked about its addictiveness. I bought this while on holiday, and after realising I had reached a Zen-like state playing this for hours on end every day, I did the responsible thing and sold my PSP...I knew this game and the console would have to go if I wanted to keep my job and social life! This game should Good god...what an amazing game. I totally vouch for those out there who have talked about its addictiveness. I bought this while on holiday, and after realising I had reached a Zen-like state playing this for hours on end every day, I did the responsible thing and sold my PSP...I knew this game and the console would have to go if I wanted to keep my job and social life! This game should have a warning sign on the front cover, seriously... Expand
  27. David
    May 10, 2005
    As addicting as crack cocaine. And the visuals make it seem like you're on it. THE game to get for your PSP, I don't care if you hate puzzle games, too good to pass up.
  28. DaMastaBlasta
    May 31, 2005
    This was the first game I got on the PSP. Right after I got it i spent every waking moment trying to get a new skin. This game will take over you life if you let it! And don't get me started about the puzzle mode in this game (very addicting). The only thing I don't like about this game is that once you die while trying to get new skins in challenge mode, you have to start over. This was the first game I got on the PSP. Right after I got it i spent every waking moment trying to get a new skin. This game will take over you life if you let it! And don't get me started about the puzzle mode in this game (very addicting). The only thing I don't like about this game is that once you die while trying to get new skins in challenge mode, you have to start over. Other than that, it is a really fun game. Expand
  29. BriquelleA.
    Jun 11, 2005
    I have this game....im 14...this is better than any game i have for my psp....its addictive and even when i get mad and have to start over after 2 minutes i want to go back and try again...i can't explain it ...even if i do beat it, it would still be a game to play over and over again..i recommend it to whoever doesn't have it.
  30. SamT.
    Sep 6, 2005
    possibly the best well game ever, though the music is absolutely terrible (shake your body, shake your body, down to the ground, down to the ground, down to the ground...) and the gameplay is too constricted. wait for lumines 2 (if they make it [Ed: They're making it]) to buy. demand more from the game studios (like a choice of music...)
  31. Ezekial
    Jan 16, 2006
    I think this is one of the only games on the PSP actually worth the money to buy it. Very addictive and great if you love puzzle/tetris games. I have to admit I didn't think it was that great at first but now I love it.
  32. JamesH.
    Feb 23, 2006
    Lumines is by far the best game the PSP has to offer. It has the simplicity for instant pick-up-and-play and the complexity in the later game to keep you playing for a long time.
  33. Ethan
    Aug 31, 2006
    Get this game! It's addictive and fun!
  34. BrandonK.
    Mar 18, 2007
    Best Puzzle game by a country mile. A must have. You must be a mug not to like this.
  35. EvanJ.
    Jun 6, 2007
    I was a little skeptical at first. I didnt think it was possible for a concept so simple to be as spectacular as the reviews suggest. This game is the best puzzle game i have ever played. I cannot physically put it down, the batteries will run out before i retire for the day, thats the only way i will stop playing it! Finally! A game that makes tetris look like its 20+ years old! Oh wait, I was a little skeptical at first. I didnt think it was possible for a concept so simple to be as spectacular as the reviews suggest. This game is the best puzzle game i have ever played. I cannot physically put it down, the batteries will run out before i retire for the day, thats the only way i will stop playing it! Finally! A game that makes tetris look like its 20+ years old! Oh wait, it is, and its about time! Expand
  36. DavidB.
    Mar 11, 2005
    This game is awesome!!! must have!!!
  37. EdW!
    Apr 21, 2005
    A very good, very stylish puzzler. Nice Music + Nice Visual + Easy/Hard difficulty s= Moderatly challenging Jamming Eye-Popping puzzler. Jam on.
  38. Lokistrike
    May 18, 2005
    Can't...review....must...clear another...skin...in...game.
  39. KyleK.
    May 31, 2005
    Very fun and addictive! One of the best games on the PSP. Much like tetris, but instead of lines, you make cubes or in puzzle mode, make a particular shape. Kewl!
  40. GarrickS.
    Dec 13, 2007
    Fun, challenging and visually interesting.
  41. JasonB.
    Nov 16, 2005
    Lumines is an inventive puzzle game in the vien of Tetris and Dr. Mario. A game everyone in my family enjoys. The puzzle mode is addictive.
  42. BrianD.
    Dec 13, 2005
    Great simple, always different pick-up and play...
  43. TravisM.
    Dec 11, 2006
    Fun, fast, and over great. I have spent many hours on this game. If you get into it, it is good for at least 20 hours of gameplay with all the avaliable levels, PvP, and PvC.

#2 Most Discussed PSP Game of 2005
#14 Most Shared PSP Game of 2005

1. With a fantastic selection of memorable catchy tunes moulded together with a simple easy to learn and addictive gameplay, Lumines is the perfect game for a handheld whether you have just ten minutes or a long two hours to kill.
  2. As a handheld game, Lumines excels in almost every conceivable way.
  3. AceGamez
    Lumines is taking over my life, but this is where the main flaw lies; the better you get, the longer it takes to complete one round. It's not unusual now that I've cracked the 100,000 points mark for one play to last an hour, which kind of defeats the whole quick blast of gameplay on the bus quality that games of this type usually have.