• Publisher: Ubisoft
  • Release Date: Mar 22, 2005
6.6

1. GrahamW.
    Aug 30, 2005
    Agree with the low scores here. I mean there was a varient of tetris for the Amiga ago that was more or less exactly this - even with the mood soundtrack and wave that went from left to right exploding blocks. It was FREE on a cover disk TWELVE YEARS AGO. This isn't a bad game, it's just an old old old game that given the times it's been done before shoulda been free or at Agree with the low scores here. I mean there was a varient of tetris for the Amiga ago that was more or less exactly this - even with the mood soundtrack and wave that went from left to right exploding blocks. It was FREE on a cover disk TWELVE YEARS AGO. This isn't a bad game, it's just an old old old game that given the times it's been done before shoulda been free or at least no more than 5 bucks. So not bad, just not worth it. Expand
  2. DaveM.
    Sep 3, 2005
    Quite possibly the most dissapointing puzzle game I have ever played. Waited so long for PSP to be released in Australia so I could play this, played for a few hours then realized this all felt strangely familiar. Cool idea, but come on... It's freakin Tetris with better music man! If you've got a DS grab Meteos. Much better than this overhyped rehash.
  3. TippyB.
    Oct 14, 2005
    Is it me? I don't understand why this game has consistently gotten great scores in from the industry rags. It's a decent diversion at best. And the incentive to keep playing - unlock new skins - yawn. I've gotten far more play out of every other game I own.
  4. DaveW.
    Aug 1, 2005
    Tetris with tunes..perhaps it's rated so high because the youngsters haven't played an old game like Tetris, I played it, quite liked it, but thought "So what..been there, played that..fifteen years ago"
  5. ArtieA.
    Aug 21, 2005
    Bought this fell for the hype. I am so sick of hearing shine on like 50 times in a row on the first level ( they call them skins) [Ed: try advancing beyond the first level] . This was a waste of 40 bux should have bought Coded Arms. My GBA striek that my cell phone could hadle this game. I mean its on the PSP this game really show off what the psp can do. The box says it all " the game Bought this fell for the hype. I am so sick of hearing shine on like 50 times in a row on the first level ( they call them skins) [Ed: try advancing beyond the first level] . This was a waste of 40 bux should have bought Coded Arms. My GBA striek that my cell phone could hadle this game. I mean its on the PSP this game really show off what the psp can do. The box says it all " the game many are calling the best game for psp", come on its a tetris like game that gets old fast. The Bottom Line : Rent it from Gamefly dont waste 40 bux on crap. Expand
  6. SimonParslow
    Sep 13, 2005
    Geez are you guys playing the same game. It sucks BIG time, I play to about level five - game is still slow and dull, nothing changes cept the music and backgrounds. big deal, i can do that on my pc - its called a screensaver - n they are free.

this ranks as one of the worst games ever. it's like tetris was never made.
  7. DonaldH.
    Sep 27, 2005
    Puzzle me this puzzle me that... Name a game thats just the same As another game with a different name (5 note riff on piccolo) A clue to you I will give But with the loss of £35 you must live It's first in "L" and it means "Light" Mine was back to the shop after ne'er one night The rest isn't worth the extended pun And to cap it all the games no fun Average music. Puzzle me this puzzle me that... Name a game thats just the same As another game with a different name (5 note riff on piccolo) A clue to you I will give But with the loss of £35 you must live It's first in "L" and it means "Light" Mine was back to the shop after ne'er one night The rest isn't worth the extended pun And to cap it all the games no fun Average music. flashy lights. tetris-lite, wallet emptying tripe. Already free games you can play straight from Duo memory that are better than this awful awful game. Expand
  8. IanW.
    Sep 7, 2005
    Apalling game, really tried to like it, went back on day 9, of the 10 trial. Really boring game, doesn't grip you at all like tetris or bejewelled, or many other puzzle games. Plus has the limitation that it's not really a pick up quick and play, as you need the sound to really play. Leave it and pick another game. Rent if you can rather than buy.
  9. Capnbashfull
    Oct 10, 2005
    You guys giving this 9 and 10 you are joking yeah ! Elevator muzak an sum lights. Gr8 NOT My cellphone cud do this !
  10. Steve
    Sep 28, 2005
    Hmm, fun game but not exacly mind blower.
  11. RyanH.
    May 1, 2006
    10 minutes is all it took for me to know this game lacks depth. It's boring with a capital B. I quite like some puzzlers, but this game is so derivative of the sort of freeware stuff they give away on magazine covers that the idea of paying 30 sponds for it seems stupid. I'll play the equally good, and completely free stuff instead. also worth noting the game doesn't 10 minutes is all it took for me to know this game lacks depth. It's boring with a capital B. I quite like some puzzlers, but this game is so derivative of the sort of freeware stuff they give away on magazine covers that the idea of paying 30 sponds for it seems stupid. I'll play the equally good, and completely free stuff instead. also worth noting the game doesn't exactly tax a PSP, graphics are a bit "bling" (i.e flashy but simplistic) and the tunes are for acid heads only. Overall dull, oldshool (VERY old school) expensive puzzle action. Rent first or you may live to regret it Hopper Expand
  12. SeanS.
    Oct 16, 2005
    Game is boring and to much money for puzzles....
  13. JeremyT.
    Dec 13, 2005
    no no no no. Just traded ine everyone golf for this and paid an extra 15 dollars cant believe how lame this game is. where is the development in gameplay? there isnt any. tunes are ok, backgrounds are fit inducing game is lame lame lame. why such big reviews for such a shallow game. no thought required-almost a twitch game rather than a puzzle game going back to get somthing else. any ideas?
  14. MatthewJ.
    Mar 20, 2005
    Lumines is more like one of those flash games that you play for free on the internet, and it will hold your interest just as long. If you want portable puzzle action, try Meteos for the Nintendo DS, it's way better.
  15. PaulC.
    Sep 4, 2005
    Nooooo ! Queued up outside GAME in Worcster until nearly 1:00am on launch day, bought this, played it - took it back next day. They'd only give me 1/2 what I paid for it. Yeah the music is ok, yeah the game is ok, well at least ok for such an ancient tetris rip off. Why didn't i believe the guys here - I loved Tetris, i still play it, and like the bloke says here, you can get Nooooo ! Queued up outside GAME in Worcster until nearly 1:00am on launch day, bought this, played it - took it back next day. They'd only give me 1/2 what I paid for it. Yeah the music is ok, yeah the game is ok, well at least ok for such an ancient tetris rip off. Why didn't i believe the guys here - I loved Tetris, i still play it, and like the bloke says here, you can get hundreds of variations of it - including ones like this - for free. Go to Downloads.com and see for yourself. Put this rubbish in a museum, not on the best handheld device ever. Clarker. Expand
    Jul 4, 2006
    This game was a real bore. I found no innovation in it. It was fun for about half an hour, but gets boring, bland and repetitve easily. Unlike the DS puzzler Meteos, ther is nothing original here. What a waste of cash.
  17. NigelT.
    Dec 12, 2005
    Sort of game a decent digital watch should have, or maybe one of those colour celphones. Terrible sonics, pretty lights, and nineteen eighties gameplay. Should really be able to play this from Duo Card as a free download, not worthy actually paying any money for. Then some think it's great. All I can say is..if you don't think you like updated Tetris, then this won't convert you.
  18. FrankJ.
    Aug 22, 2005
    I dont know who Ed is but I beat the game in one sitting its simple Geometry. I agree with this Artie dude. Thats what I find so borings about it. The music right off the bat. Shine. Dont get me worng I can solve a Rubiks cube in 3 minutes can play tetris for hours. I just dont care for this game.
  19. DavidHoffman
    Apr 27, 2006
    Picked up the game used for $18 USD, played it for 10 minutes, took it back. The game mechanics are not explained at all. If you are the kind of person who likes to figure out how a fast moving puzzle game works WHILE playing and losing, you may not hate it. I would have prefered some form of tutorial.
  20. Caligula
    Oct 14, 2008
    I felt like the most retarded person on the planet after reading the reviews from game sites but now I realize that i'm not the only one who has this opinion. Give me Ultima 1, with dots and lines, and i'll play it without interruption for a month after i see even another screenshot of Lumines. Makes you believe that the next generation puzzle games will be given this kind of I felt like the most retarded person on the planet after reading the reviews from game sites but now I realize that i'm not the only one who has this opinion. Give me Ultima 1, with dots and lines, and i'll play it without interruption for a month after i see even another screenshot of Lumines. Makes you believe that the next generation puzzle games will be given this kind of reviews: "ultra-hyper-gourgeos drawn sheep that dance extremely addictive and jump over a superb designed fence while you'll have the hounor of counting them and pressing the X button accordingly. A definitely must have for PSP owners!" Expand
  21. CallumE.
    Dec 15, 2005
    Lumines - The zeitgeist of portable puzzle games - Or a second rate thumb number ? Definetely the latter - Sorry
  22. ZacheryG.
    Jul 8, 2006
    I only rate games that are worth being rated. Good game!
  23. MarcD.
    Apr 2, 2005
    I'm absolute crap at puzzle games and I try to keep a distance from the genre, but I have this game. Guess that speaks volumes about it's quality.
  24. DavidG.
    Apr 8, 2005
    What can i say? This highly addictive game is just awesome. It is pure fun enveloped in a musical and logical, non-violent case.
  25. CarlS.
    Jul 26, 2005
    The reason, Flint, that this game is rated better than mercury is because this game doesn't star a retarted blob of mercury. Lumines is an amazing game which outshines any other handheld game I have ever played. Awesome.
  26. FlintZA
    Jul 5, 2005
    This has to be the single most overrated game I have played in years. It's a Tetris clone where the music responds to your actions. Big whoop. The timeline leads to some potentially interesting combos, but it certainly doesn't have the level of depth to warrent a score over 60%. How this rated higher than the utterly brilliant Mercury will always be a mystery to me.
  27. Assimov
    May 20, 2007
    Its a typical puzzle game, and like any other is addictive. Music and video, is no great for my taste and don't make me the playtime better. GameSharing only transfer a One Player Demo to the other PSP. So, don't give the buyer any value (that's not game sharing for me). Score Records, don't let the player select his name, for one console shared into a family. It can Its a typical puzzle game, and like any other is addictive. Music and video, is no great for my taste and don't make me the playtime better. GameSharing only transfer a One Player Demo to the other PSP. So, don't give the buyer any value (that's not game sharing for me). Score Records, don't let the player select his name, for one console shared into a family. It can be OK buying it at low price, but there are many other puzzle games. Expand
  28. ToddSmith
    Nov 4, 2008
    This is probably one of the best games the PSP can offer. The gameplay is very addictive, it looks and sounds great, and it can be found in your local bargain bin.

It's one of those games which you can play for 5 minutes while waiting at a bus stop or play hours upon hours to get a new high score.

It's great all around.
  29. DaveC.
    Oct 12, 2005
    The previous 0-scoring reviewer has clearly never played Lumines and is judging the game purely on percieved technical deficiencies, and thus cannot ever hope to understand its addictive charm. Ownership of this game should be mandatory for all PSP owners. It doesn't show off the PSP's hardware and isn't particularly new or original in concept, but the unique way in which The previous 0-scoring reviewer has clearly never played Lumines and is judging the game purely on percieved technical deficiencies, and thus cannot ever hope to understand its addictive charm. Ownership of this game should be mandatory for all PSP owners. It doesn't show off the PSP's hardware and isn't particularly new or original in concept, but the unique way in which everything is presented makes it totally compelling. If you like having fun and you aren't put off by a total lack of flashy 3D graphics, you must buy this game. Expand
  30. RichardM.
    Oct 5, 2005
    I love this game!! Even when I'm not playing I see blocks and hear the music. It's more addicting than tetris was!

1. With a fantastic selection of memorable catchy tunes moulded together with a simple easy to learn and addictive gameplay, Lumines is the perfect game for a handheld whether you have just ten minutes or a long two hours to kill.
  2. As a handheld game, Lumines excels in almost every conceivable way.
  3. Lumines is taking over my life, but this is where the main flaw lies; the better you get, the longer it takes to complete one round. It's not unusual now that I've cracked the 100,000 points mark for one play to last an hour, which kind of defeats the whole quick blast of gameplay on the bus quality that games of this type usually have.