• Publisher: Konami
  • Release Date: Mar 22, 2005
6.8

1. AramisG.
    Apr 15, 2005
    This is a review from someone who had never played a card game, so if you are a butt munch card game fan you don't need to read this. I have played just about every incarnation of Metal Gear from the first NES game to the GB versions. After MGS2 I had lost a little faith in the series but MGS3 brought me right back into the fold. So I bought Acid for my PSP even though I had never This is a review from someone who had never played a card game, so if you are a butt munch card game fan you don't need to read this. I have played just about every incarnation of Metal Gear from the first NES game to the GB versions. After MGS2 I had lost a little faith in the series but MGS3 brought me right back into the fold. So I bought Acid for my PSP even though I had never played a card game before. What can I say? The story seemed fine. The visuals were fresh. Even the music sounded really cool. So why did I pretty much give up on it after several hours of playing it? It just wasn't enjoyable. If you have never played a card game before and are wondering what this game is like, try imagining this. You have to walk across the room you are in and open a door. Sounds pretty simple right? Ok, now imagine that you can only move a few footsteps at a time. This is slowed down by the fact that everyone else in the room can't move while you are moving and vice versa (and they are all moving a few footsteps at a time too). Now then every time you move you have to pick the direction you want to go in and the direction you want to face when you stop moving. Alright let me sum this up for you. You FINALLY get to the other end of the room after about 10 minutes (granted you are not spotted, have fallen asleep while playing or were hiding for prolonged periods of time). Maybe there are people out there who think this type of slowed down, painfully planned out locomotion is invigorating, but not me. I am a get things done kind of guy. I don't need 10 hours to "strategize" on how to how to move from point A to point B. My cerebellum takes care of redundant movements for me, so I don't have to worry about it. It was frustrating because you constantly know what you need to do but there was no way to get around the fact that it was going to take forever to do it. Wait for a real MG adventure or get Splinter Cell (planned for the PSP). Expand
  2. Mobius
    Oct 11, 2005
    metel gear solid is famous for being a dam good stealth em up with great gameplay and action, what they have done here is to keep the looks of MGS but they have decided to be new and diffrent and so they have removed the fun out of the game. if i wanted a card game ill go out and buy pokamon(as if i would do that). the developers relised that they screwed something up in the game during metel gear solid is famous for being a dam good stealth em up with great gameplay and action, what they have done here is to keep the looks of MGS but they have decided to be new and diffrent and so they have removed the fun out of the game. if i wanted a card game ill go out and buy pokamon(as if i would do that). the developers relised that they screwed something up in the game during the developement and decided to change it to a turn based card game. if you find this review not to your liking then go and buy the game and mark my words you will be trading it in towards a better game sooner than later. Expand
  3. Martin
    Oct 11, 2005
    Great graphics and great sound do not make a $40 card game fun.
  4. Mattw.
    Apr 22, 2005
    Card games and awesome strategic shooting games dont mix and when they do (in this case ) they suck horribly.
  5. JonathanS.
    May 8, 2005
    I liked the other metal gear games so i thought id try this one and i was sadly disappointed playing sweet games with cards i mean if turn based games are barely making the cut i think putting cards makes it the worst.
  6. Ben
    Oct 11, 2005
    whats the diffrence between poker/blackjack/snap/solitare/pokamon cards/the gathering and Metel Gear Solid Answer The others are more fun and cost about £25 less. this game is just to slow to be on a poratable gaming system.
  7. Ryan
    Oct 11, 2005
    When i showed my mates my new PSP i decided to show them ridge racer and everbodys golf, but i wasnt stupid enough to admit that i had brought MGS the card game, that game remains in the box ready to be traded in for GTA.
  8. Paul"MGS"freak
    Oct 11, 2005
    ive had every single MGS game there has been and although there have been a few ups and downs all of them have been fun, UNTIL NOW, a card game what the hell where they thinking, this game could have been awsome and great to pick up and play, but i think they thought that the game would have been completed in a few short hours if they had stuck to the original type of control , and to ive had every single MGS game there has been and although there have been a few ups and downs all of them have been fun, UNTIL NOW, a card game what the hell where they thinking, this game could have been awsome and great to pick up and play, but i think they thought that the game would have been completed in a few short hours if they had stuck to the original type of control , and to drag the game out they decided to make into a card game, NO NO NO NO NOOOOOOO!!!. can you imagine what would happen if developers decided to change FIFA 06 into a tactical card game. or ridge racer into a card game, i hope this isnt the start of a new trend. We like MGS because its MGS we forgive you for changing the main charactor in MGS2 but to change the gameplay is totally unforgivable. Expand
  9. Sam
    Oct 11, 2005
    Took it straight back for a refund.
  10. NewRecruit
    Oct 11, 2005
    if you realy want to buy this game then take my advice and wait until nearer christmas where you will see it in the trade in bin for less than a tenner.
  11. MarcD.
    Mar 26, 2005
    Mr Kojima's last 2 MGS games have left me cold. He needs to return to his old formula. The 1st and 2nd games are classics in gaming lore...where on earth is the series heading with this card based nonsense?
  12. ZainS.
    Mar 29, 2005
    Horrible compared to the rest of the MG series. Card-based gaming ruins everything.
  13. JM
    Jun 16, 2005
    Ok, I like the fact that it is Metal Gear and I've always wanted to play it, I won't play this. I have heard about how great this game is, why in the heavens above did they make this the most boring game in the world!!!! Almost no one likes or ever will like card battle games, and I heard that the intro lasts for 45 MINUTES!!! WTF?!!! If you play this, you either have a bunch of Ok, I like the fact that it is Metal Gear and I've always wanted to play it, I won't play this. I have heard about how great this game is, why in the heavens above did they make this the most boring game in the world!!!! Almost no one likes or ever will like card battle games, and I heard that the intro lasts for 45 MINUTES!!! WTF?!!! If you play this, you either have a bunch of time and have nothing better to do, or you were hypnotized by its name. If only this were an FPS. Expand

1. In refusing to let the PSP’s home-console-style graphical capabilities dictate the nature of its gameplay, Acid is a valuable blueprint for future PSP development. [Feb 2005, p.77]
  2. Metal Gear's move from all-out action to turn-based strategy has been handled with style. [JPN Import]
  3. 8 / 9 / 8 / 9 - 34 gold [Dec 2004]