Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops PSP

• Publisher: Konami
  • Release Date: Dec 5, 2006
8.2

1. Jan 28, 2013
    This game is great! I do find the stamina meter extremely annoying, but that doesn't stop me from enjoying this.
    The storyline is wonderful.
    Voice acting is SPLENDID! (David Hayter AND Steven Blum).
    The gameplay and graphics are sweet!
    I'd say get this if you can find it in a retail store or on PSN.
  2. Feb 15, 2014
    As a fan of metal gear series, this is the only metal gear game I haven't enjoyed. And there is only one reason for that: Worst controls in gaming history.
    I've spent few hours with this game and the issue just doesn't go away. Story line can be good and other mechanics can also be very enjoyable but controls being what they are, it's not even worth to play.
  3. NickyL.
    Dec 20, 2006
    Everything everyone else says i agree with... including the problems... when i first got the game the camera was very jerky and really weird, but all i had to do was slow it down a bit (which is very easy to do in the options menu) and it was perfect... There are plenty of settings to make the camera more appealing... As for the controls, did anyone really expect something better from the Everything everyone else says i agree with... including the problems... when i first got the game the camera was very jerky and really weird, but all i had to do was slow it down a bit (which is very easy to do in the options menu) and it was perfect... There are plenty of settings to make the camera more appealing... As for the controls, did anyone really expect something better from the PSP... controls seem to always be a problem with any game... But basically the controls are exactly the same as on any other Metal Gear Solid game... O is confirm and X is back (which actually makes so much more sense), square is fire, triangle is sneak and action, etc etc etc... at least it's the same as MGS3: Snake Eater (that being the only MGS game i have played fully)... To get the controls right just play it for a while, and it's confusing if you switch around playing games, but if you keep it in your psp, as you will want to because of the engaging story, addicting short bursts of play, and over good gameplay, you won't have a problem... but hey, there's always room for improvement for any game... a metal gear SOLID 9 (so lame, i know... i had to...) Expand
  4. Jul 10, 2011
    Very good, it cleared the fog that the MGS series has ( Mostly MGS3, it really explained and made everything soft too understand the series) it also make proud the PSP, there arent too many great games on the handheld, the cutscene are creative ( comic style). This is an important tittle for the PSP.
  5. BradM.
    Feb 7, 2007
    How GameDaily and games(TM) could give this game a 70 and a 60 rating blows my mind. These guys should not even be considered in the rating process. I think they're put there just to bring the overall score down. This game is the reason to own a PSP and is the best game to date on the system. Anything below a score of 85 is off the mark.
  6. ChrisH.
    May 15, 2007
    This is one of the best PSP games ive ever played, a much needed game for the system, and excellently suited to it too.
  7. ZemZ.
    Jul 2, 2007
    If you played MGS 3 & loved it you'll love Portabe ops, i personally liked the origianol MGS & MGS much more but make no mistake Portable ops is on standed with the console serices. my two biggest grips with this game are that one they left the stamina meter without leveing in wildlife. & two it's too short, you'll find yourself playing it all the time & beating it too If you played MGS 3 & loved it you'll love Portabe ops, i personally liked the origianol MGS & MGS much more but make no mistake Portable ops is on standed with the console serices. my two biggest grips with this game are that one they left the stamina meter without leveing in wildlife. & two it's too short, you'll find yourself playing it all the time & beating it too fast, but the multiplayer experiance is still a fun diversion from the real world. Expand
  8. MartyM.
    Dec 26, 2006
    Has a bit of a learning curve, but once you get past that it turns into an amazingly deep and rich game. The camera isn't as bad as everyone is making it out to be, its been fine for me so far.
  9. JacobP.
    Oct 4, 2007
    I really can't get over how much I like MPO. I've had it for almost two years now and its still the game I play the most on that system; and I use the system more than my GC or PS2. It really is a complete package and a bargain at any price.
  10. AnonymousMC
    Jul 8, 2009
    personally, i cant stand metal gear solid games. i haven't played 4 or 1, but by spending hours on metal gear solid 2,3, and portable ops, i could never find the game exciting or fun. maybe its just me, but the controls ruined the ENTIRE game for me. i just could not get how the game's controls were so horrible. the game is cool in terms of variety and graphics, but its notpersonally, i cant stand metal gear solid games. i haven't played 4 or 1, but by spending hours on metal gear solid 2,3, and portable ops, i could never find the game exciting or fun. maybe its just me, but the controls ruined the ENTIRE game for me. i just could not get how the game's controls were so horrible. the game is cool in terms of variety and graphics, but its not immering and is a waste of money Expand
  11. JonF.
    Dec 15, 2006
    Best game on the PSP to date. great graphics, good story, the controls are a hastle at first but once you get used to it there ok.
  12. TroyW.
    Dec 2, 2006
    Incredible experience for the PSP, and the new recruiting feature and multiplayer make it stand out among the very best of the MGS titles. Highly recommended for everyone even remotely interested in a PSP.
  13. CK
    Dec 7, 2006
    Forget ac!d, this is the real metal gear, fantastic graphics and gameplay this could well be the best metal gear ever.
  14. JamesQ.
    Dec 7, 2006
    Amazingly well done, the graphics are nice and the controls are surprisingly well done for a PSP game. Some favorite characters return and the cutscenes are well done. The missions are set up perfectly for a portable game and the online is a very fullfilling experience. I strongly recommend this game.
  15. JohnR.
    Dec 8, 2006
    Great, just brilliant in what Kojima comes up with. Great graphics. Camera has issues, but fantastic game.
  16. KyleS.
    Dec 8, 2006
    Top notch, classic MGS everything, but now with more innovative gameplay elements than ever! Only Team Kojima could come up with something like this!
  17. KevinR.
    Jan 21, 2007
    A very fun little side-story in the Metal Gear story is often overshadowed by frustrating controls and a crappy camera. Nonetheless, it is the best game ever made for the PSP.
  18. AndrewB.
    Jan 23, 2007
    Its been the best game on psp i have to say the new recruit soldier thing makes the game tryin to find the best characters to take online an kick ass is amazing.
  19. ACE5
    Jan 23, 2007
    If they can pull off something like a real metal gear game on the psp, I don't see why they cant just port over some ps2 games like Final Fantasy 10, or god of war, or gran turismo. Or even some of the final fantasy games for regular playstation, I know they couls fit in an umd with no problem, and because of their age they would come in at about $10-$20. Oops... got off topic...MetalIf they can pull off something like a real metal gear game on the psp, I don't see why they cant just port over some ps2 games like Final Fantasy 10, or god of war, or gran turismo. Or even some of the final fantasy games for regular playstation, I know they couls fit in an umd with no problem, and because of their age they would come in at about $10-$20. Oops... got off topic...Metal gear is a great title to have, I still feel the controls are slightly problematic though. Expand
  20. DanC.
    Oct 9, 2007
    Its not as good as MGS3 (of course) but its better than MGS1 and MGS2, seeing as how it has a great story, fully 3D camera, great, superb sound/voices/characters and the amazingly good gameplay of MGS3, complete with the CQC system and the option to create and play as your own version of the Cobra Unit. Its a long, fun and replayable adventure, and its getting an expansion pack this Its not as good as MGS3 (of course) but its better than MGS1 and MGS2, seeing as how it has a great story, fully 3D camera, great, superb sound/voices/characters and the amazingly good gameplay of MGS3, complete with the CQC system and the option to create and play as your own version of the Cobra Unit. Its a long, fun and replayable adventure, and its getting an expansion pack this November. If you've got a PSP and you like the MG series, please, please- at least try this game. Expand
  21. KOKCHEEMENG
    Feb 11, 2007
    It is the best PSP game I ever played. Great graphic, fantastic storyline.
  22. BobbyS.
    Mar 14, 2007
    It is the best game for the PSP yet. I love how you can recruit enemies and place them in your tech, medical spy or snaking unit.
  23. ByronT.
    May 10, 2007
    Perhaps the best game released for the PSP. Portable Ops lives up to the high standards, of the Metal Gear games.
  24. PaulC.
    Dec 10, 2006
    I really wanted to rate this game higher. This is a solid Metal Gear game and I am enjoying it. However, the camera is really bad on this game. It is zoomed in to close to Snake and is a bit jerky at times. Also, the controls are not as comfortable as they should be. Nevertheless, great story and awesome Metal Gear gameplay still rules. If camera and contols were better, this game would I really wanted to rate this game higher. This is a solid Metal Gear game and I am enjoying it. However, the camera is really bad on this game. It is zoomed in to close to Snake and is a bit jerky at times. Also, the controls are not as comfortable as they should be. Nevertheless, great story and awesome Metal Gear gameplay still rules. If camera and contols were better, this game would have got a 9. Rent first before you buy. Expand
  25. JimmyC.
    Dec 7, 2006
    If you have or have considered getting a psp, go buy this now!
  26. JoeS.
    Jan 18, 2007
    This is a great showing of what the PSP is capable of and how the Metal Gear Solid franchise is so innovative and fresh and can be successful on any system. The game overall was pretty amazing, only some camera problems not as much as stressed by others. Gameplay is a hell of a good time and will want you to come back and play some more.
  27. RoryL.
    May 28, 2007
    This game has so much depth and quality the grapics are amazing and the game is so well put together the konami team have cerated one of (if not the) best shooter games on psp. a good enough reason to buy a psp i think so.
  28. JoshD.
    Jun 25, 2007
    honestly if nothing else this is one of the best vgames for a modern portable gaming systems, although people the psp has more console ports/rehashs then it should, at the very least this game is a shinning example of how to translate a console series onto the psp... after all snake eater/subsistance had an almost identical control layout and it worked well for that game, this takes it a honestly if nothing else this is one of the best vgames for a modern portable gaming systems, although people the psp has more console ports/rehashs then it should, at the very least this game is a shinning example of how to translate a console series onto the psp... after all snake eater/subsistance had an almost identical control layout and it worked well for that game, this takes it a step further by making it a portable gamer friendly game by breaking the story/levels into segments...i can explain all day on how this game is (almost) worth getting a psp for, but for anyone who has a psp this game and syphon filter are must have games even if you dont like the stealth genre. Expand
  29. BryanoR.
    Dec 11, 2006
    Best game for PSP, the whole year its gameplay is the best and the storyline is great tha controls may be a little funky but either than that great game for the PSP.
  30. BiboB.
    Dec 17, 2006
    Great game, sadly hindered by control and camera issues.
  31. Jul 24, 2011
    This instalment was very fun especially for players who closely follow the story as players once again take control of Big Boss as he is once again thrown onto the battlefield from retirement against a new enemy and through the story realises that the battlefield is where he belongs and must find his own calling if he is to find something which he can believe in and fight for. The gameThis instalment was very fun especially for players who closely follow the story as players once again take control of Big Boss as he is once again thrown onto the battlefield from retirement against a new enemy and through the story realises that the battlefield is where he belongs and must find his own calling if he is to find something which he can believe in and fight for. The game play is good as well for the system they provide as much of the fun as possible from other metal gear instalment. Expand
  32. Nov 4, 2010
    A worthy addition to the MGS series. Interesting (and comprehensible) story, good stealth, decent controls. Dragging guys around to recruit gets a little tiresome, but the team-building aspect is fairly cool and fits well with the story & MGS canon. There are some control issues and the camera is far from perfect, but neither are debilitating and the gameplay and story are worth it.A worthy addition to the MGS series. Interesting (and comprehensible) story, good stealth, decent controls. Dragging guys around to recruit gets a little tiresome, but the team-building aspect is fairly cool and fits well with the story & MGS canon. There are some control issues and the camera is far from perfect, but neither are debilitating and the gameplay and story are worth it. The stylized cut scenes may not please everyone, but I got to like them. Missions are a good length for a portable game too. Expand
  33. Sep 17, 2011
    Stealth action and CQC adapt well to a portable console, with gameplay mechanics feeling similar but fresher thanks to the inclusion of teams. These teams add a new depth to planning and strategy, with the enticing ability to recruit more and more followers. The story is absorbing and fittingly complex and the graphic novel cutscenes look great . Voice acting is of a high quality as is theStealth action and CQC adapt well to a portable console, with gameplay mechanics feeling similar but fresher thanks to the inclusion of teams. These teams add a new depth to planning and strategy, with the enticing ability to recruit more and more followers. The story is absorbing and fittingly complex and the graphic novel cutscenes look great . Voice acting is of a high quality as is the soundtrack. Expand
  34. Oct 10, 2011
    The only thing better than the poopy-brown graphics is the horrible, Monster Hunter-esque controls, coupled with tons of dialogue with no voice acting and some kind of autistic army management system. This game has hours and hours worth of exciting gameplay, slowly trudging around the blocky levels, not being able to crouch-walk but still having a third person camera implying that youThe only thing better than the poopy-brown graphics is the horrible, Monster Hunter-esque controls, coupled with tons of dialogue with no voice acting and some kind of autistic army management system. This game has hours and hours worth of exciting gameplay, slowly trudging around the blocky levels, not being able to crouch-walk but still having a third person camera implying that you could. My favorite thing to do is to play as characters who aren't even Snake, such as guys who are in disguise, invalidating stealth.
    The team-based action really gets me going, too. What happens is, you get a bunch of guys and hide them in boxes all over the level, right? As if that wasn't awesome enough, you can switch between them by hiding whoever you're playing as in a box. That's not even the most exciting part! If you're ever in danger, your box-hiding comrades absolutely will not help you because box-hiding is just a way to make a team-based game with no teamwork and the developers were too lazy to program friendly AI. So cool!!!
  35. Aug 20, 2011
    Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops
    Its a solid game, good story, good gameplay, good control, and good graphics and voice acting for a psp game, its generally better than most metal gears, though I sometimes find its story over soppy or far too much, this was good.
    Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops

Its multi-player is pretty well rounded if you get past the hackers, and I cant help but be addicted to getting the best soldiers possible. 8/10 My Opinion /Unbais 7.5
  36. Feb 16, 2013
    Although Kojima did not direct this game, it still feels as though he did. If you played any MGS game, then you know what to expect. But this time, you can kidnap enemy soldiers and convince them to join you. It's really cool. Gameplay is the same. Enemy soldiers see you? Alert Mode. Then Evasion mode. Then Caution Mode. And then Normal. Just like any MGS game. And, of course, that's aAlthough Kojima did not direct this game, it still feels as though he did. If you played any MGS game, then you know what to expect. But this time, you can kidnap enemy soldiers and convince them to join you. It's really cool. Gameplay is the same. Enemy soldiers see you? Alert Mode. Then Evasion mode. Then Caution Mode. And then Normal. Just like any MGS game. And, of course, that's a good thing. Believe or not, the story IS canon, that is, it IS part of the timeline. The story is set in 1970, six years after MGS3. The Special Force Unit FOX has rebelled against the USA, and is supposedly sided with the Soviets. Snake has been framed as the mastermind. It's his job to find out who's behind all this and clear his name. And it has its share of twists and heart-wrenching moments like its big-brother consoles. Unfortunately, they have shut down the online-component, but that was just the icing on the cake. As it is, the game can stand on its own. It's $9.99 on the PSN Store now, so if you have a PSP (or better yet, a PS Vita), buy it now. Expand
  37. Dec 27, 2013
    Portable Ops manages to meld the flavor of Snake Eater and some new features to make an impressive Metal Gear game. Strong story with amazing ost, cast of characters and more..
  38. Jul 7, 2014
    I think that this is game is pretty great, the story and even the whole thing is great... though, the controls could be a little better or so. It's true that most of the new MGS games have kinda difficult-to-learn controls, but when you get used to it, you'll pretty much fully enjoy the game. It personally took me few minutes to learn the basics, such as CQC tricks and other things, I alsoI think that this is game is pretty great, the story and even the whole thing is great... though, the controls could be a little better or so. It's true that most of the new MGS games have kinda difficult-to-learn controls, but when you get used to it, you'll pretty much fully enjoy the game. It personally took me few minutes to learn the basics, such as CQC tricks and other things, I also like the cut-scenes... I like Manga after all... although, they could change few things... it's kinda hard to knock every soldier down and try to bring back soldiers to the truck so that you can recruit them, because don't forget that you have Stamina... and if you're using a soldier, but with low stamina; it will pretty much decrease 'till you pass out. The box/radio thing is neat, but still... some people find this kinda pissing... I do myself, not from those patience type and that's it. Also, even if you're mass-fan of the MGS series, you'll understand that they could of had made it better... that's my opinion. Expand
  39. Oct 19, 2015
    This game is still worth Your time (im writing this in 2015). The only downside comes from the nature of PSP and its the lack of second analog stick...
  40. May 11, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Great game. I do not have to say anything more. But i need to write one hundred and fifty characters. i think my score can describe it................ Expand
  41. Feb 4, 2016
    Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops is a very unnecessary and uninteresting entry into the Metal Gear franchise. The controls are finicky and hard to make comfortable, the story is unnecessary, only there to set the stage for Peacewalker. Don't buy this game, just skip to Peacewalker.

#1 Most Discussed PSP Game of 2006
#7 Most Shared PSP Game of 2006

The GPS and WiFi scanning feature is excellently implemented, the online and single player modes are deep, and there are plenty of things to do by tracking down and recruiting new soldiers from various places.
  2. As a single-player game, Portable Ops can't match the scope and drama of its predecessors. Of course, with its bite-sized style and team aspect, it doesn't really try to. This is one of the PSP's best multiplayer titles, giving you essentially a two-for-one experience.
    A game that essentially pushes the PSP in all of its features: graphics, portability, Internet, extra hardware doohickeys, and multiplayer. Sure, it might have hiccups (occasional ghosting, quirky A.I., the one analog nub), but Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops is not only a fine MGS title -- it's also a damn good showcase for the PSP.