• Publisher: Konami
  • Release Date: Nov 28, 2006
6.8

1. BillK.
    Feb 7, 2007
    Could've been good. One problem is if you play black, you can't flip the "classic" board, only the 3D ones, so black is on top. But the biggest problem is the difficulty. I'm OK at chess...can barely beat the easiest levels in Chessmaster. But with this I can handily beat 3 out of the 4 difficulty levels. ONLY 4 settings is another problem. Apart from that its so Could've been good. One problem is if you play black, you can't flip the "classic" board, only the 3D ones, so black is on top. But the biggest problem is the difficulty. I'm OK at chess...can barely beat the easiest levels in Chessmaster. But with this I can handily beat 3 out of the 4 difficulty levels. ONLY 4 settings is another problem. Apart from that its so disappointing that there is nothing to help you get better. No tutorials, no chess school. Nothing. I have two Gameboy Advance chess games that have more features than this, and I think that's more important than how pretty it looks. Really hoping they release Chessmaster for PSP! Expand

1. What this game adds in graphics is lost in the tactile experience of a real chess game.
  2. If you are looking for something more - if you already have chess for a PDA or GBA and are hoping for solid play over the Internet or a great story mode then look elsewhere, because as anything other than a decent chess engine, Online Chess Kingdoms fails to deliver a compelling experience.
  3. It plays a solid game of chess and while it doesn't really bring anything new to the party, the theming and overall presentation make it a decent and brain-taxing title. [Mar 2007, p.81]