• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Apr 12, 2011
6.8

1. Apr 20, 2011
    It's different but the same, all at once. Everyone knows what to expect from Patapon, but it's nonetheless great. I saw this patapon its for entire multiplayer, awesome multiplayer, single player its cool but patapon 1 and 2 were better in that thing, if you wanna feel full experience play online
  2. Apr 16, 2011
    I don't think I've ever been as disappointed by a game as Patapon 3. The first two games were charming, innovative, and fun. There was grinding to be done, but it wasn't critical to the regular campaign, just the after-game extras. The in-game world felt alive, with critters to hunt, enemy tribes to fight, and the occasional boss.

And now we have Patapon 3, where everything is

And now we have Patapon 3, where everything is different. The formerly charming tribal-style music has gone electric. You no longer lead an army, just a squad of four. There are no more mini-games. You can't forge weapons or armor anymore, just upgrade what you find in the field. The skill system is completely mysterious, there is no way to find out what skill a class will get at what level. Stats are crammed into a tiny box that force you to scroll up and down to find basic information.

And let's talk about the actual gameplay. You GRIND. Over, and over, and over again. Each stage is given a recommended experience level, which is completely FALSE. I can't stress that enough. Stages that are rated 5+ typically require at least 9 to make it through reliably. For every new stage in the campaign, you'll have to grind old ones about 20 times to get your squad to a high enough level to proceed.

There's also the new feature of having the regular monsters you find in the stages be much harder than the bosses. When you get to a boss, you will actually feel relieved, because (since most of them are based on bosses from the older games) they're actually balanced, and you can fight them intelligently and have a chance of winning with whatever classes you bring. On the other hand, there are stage monsters that will wipe out your squad in a single hit unless you set your squad up with a very specific set of classes. Anyone who's played the other games knows that there wasn't any monsters or boss you couldn't beat if you didn't know how. If the claws go up, retreat. If the claws go back, defend. It didn't matter which troop classes you brought, you could beat anybody. Not anymore. Now it doesn't matter if you know how, if you're not high enough level or you set your squad to the wrong classes, you'll still get crushed. This is not me complaining about monsters that keep killing me, this is me talking about poor game design.

As for what the game gets right, there's... well, there are lots more class types. Oh wait, only kind of, because there are no more Rarepons to choose, each class is a different Rarepon. So I guess there's still actually less options for your squad (and I'm still annoyed at not being able to say "army" instead). OH! And there's a drum pattern that pauses the game. Which is nice, since that's been asked for since the first game.

...

Yeah, that's really all the good I can say about the game.

I really never thought this day would come, because for the first time I'm regretting the purchase of a Patapon game. Naturally the decision is up to you, but if you thoroughly enjoyed the first two of the series, give this one a pass, it's a big step backward.
  3. Apr 21, 2011
    People complain about how patapon 3 is a bad game because its too different. Personally, i dont think that's a very valid reason, considering that so many people were mad that patapon 2 was "more of the same". This game is really a breath of fresh air to the franchise, in my opinion, and there are numerous improvements that many patapon fans have been clamoring for, for a while now. OnePeople complain about how patapon 3 is a bad game because its too different. Personally, i dont think that's a very valid reason, considering that so many people were mad that patapon 2 was "more of the same". This game is really a breath of fresh air to the franchise, in my opinion, and there are numerous improvements that many patapon fans have been clamoring for, for a while now. One improvement that stood out the most to me is the fact that you have even more control over your patapons then before. For example, you can choose when you want to activate a spell or when is a good time to heal your squad. It really adds to the immersion of the experience and you feel just a little bit more in control of your patapons. also, there are a ton more customization options then before so you can pretty much create your own unique patapon and then take it online and show off all of your hard work. One more thing. I find it funny how people say that strategy no longer plays a part in this game. They claim that leveling up and grinding is the only way to get past most of the game. To an extent, this is true. If you level up enough, which will usually take a while, strategy doesnt play a part. You can just plow through the entire game with your powered up characters. But if you dont want to go through the grind, you can play with strategy. I know this is true because i got past several levels i shouldnt have by using this "nonexistent strategy". Overall this is a very good game and a very welcome addition to the franchise and if you do choose to buy this, start up the game with an open mind. Expand
  4. Apr 19, 2011
    As a rhythm game, it simply fails: Remember the trailer for Patapon 1? (http://youtu.be/-hMN80eCWtI) That game was about "druming to the rhythm". That's all changed. It is now very easy to get a perfect 4 beat, because even then you will still lose, a lot. Winning is all about gearing up and grinding for levels. not rhythm. The enemies no longer give you enough time (one measure) to react,As a rhythm game, it simply fails: Remember the trailer for Patapon 1? (http://youtu.be/-hMN80eCWtI) That game was about "druming to the rhythm". That's all changed. It is now very easy to get a perfect 4 beat, because even then you will still lose, a lot. Winning is all about gearing up and grinding for levels. not rhythm. The enemies no longer give you enough time (one measure) to react, and your Hatapon, who cannot be leveled up or wear armor, will die in one hit, failing your entire mission, dropping the precious loot that lets you actually get through the game. Djinn (aka Miracles) mode is button mashing craziness instead of joyous chanting. Also gone is the groovy quick-time rhythm happiness of multi-player egg stages ending fun. I'm not a fan of the new epileptic art style, the juvenile dialogue, the generic rock music, the cramped menus, the convoluted stats, or the new items that all reek of "trying too hard". The desolate landscape, the lack of celebrations, the stone-cold Meden, and ugly looking enemies are the most apparent "new features". But to each their own, afterall.

My reason for the score is that Patapon should be about music and rhythm. Having failed at delivering a musical game, they have failed completely.
  5. Apr 21, 2011
    If your brain didn't commit suicide from playing angry birds too much you won't find this game difficult beyond enjoyment. This is the best Patapon by far and the direction the game is heading is awesome.
  6. Apr 22, 2011
    I think a lot of reviewers of late are being pretty irresponsible. Opinions are one thing, but reviews should be handled with a little less bias and a lot more responsibility. To give a game a rating of 30 or below(here's looking at 1up) is saying this game is buggy, unfinished and unplayable. I've invested many hours into this franchise, and will continue to do so. I've played this gameI think a lot of reviewers of late are being pretty irresponsible. Opinions are one thing, but reviews should be handled with a little less bias and a lot more responsibility. To give a game a rating of 30 or below(here's looking at 1up) is saying this game is buggy, unfinished and unplayable. I've invested many hours into this franchise, and will continue to do so. I've played this game mostly non-stop since it's release, and even when I received Portal 2 in the mail still maintained that urge to play. That in itself says a lot. Patapon has not severely altered its gameplay. As a matter of fact this transition is almost seamless from 2 to 3. The lack of the Patapon army size, while disappointing to some, in some ways puts an emphasis on their online play. Online play may not be everyone's thing, but if more people get involved this game has potential to expand on it is plentiful. With a few fixes/updates, this game (online) could provide almost the same time-sink as any mmo. And all for the one-time fee for the game..$20!!! If you have never played this game, please do yourself a favor and pick this up. You do not need to play the previous incarnations, the story is pretty simple. This is one of those few instances where I could care less about the story. Feel the rhythm, kill some baddies, upgrade your equipment, customize your hero Patapon to godliness. You would hate this game if it never made any changes, but will still complain when it changes. This change is good. Expand
  7. Oct 7, 2011
    The best and most epic game on the PSP, if not in the world. The campaign is awesome, The music rocks so hard, and the multiplayer is ever more awesome. Definitely better than the old Patapons.
  8. Oct 22, 2011
    This game ruined the previous games feel, the grinding is a joke, the mission "suggested level" is a joke, the multiplayer concept isn't vital, it is only to ease up the grinding. Lots of bugs. Getting stuck behind trapdoor. If you dont have any close combat attackers, dealing with close obstacles or enemies with just arrows is awful. Miracles gone. The watchtower pon spots an extra boss,This game ruined the previous games feel, the grinding is a joke, the mission "suggested level" is a joke, the multiplayer concept isn't vital, it is only to ease up the grinding. Lots of bugs. Getting stuck behind trapdoor. If you dont have any close combat attackers, dealing with close obstacles or enemies with just arrows is awful. Miracles gone. The watchtower pon spots an extra boss, and what a coincidence it is the spider thing that needs rain so it can be hit. Rain is now summoned by presence of a certain class in the battle. If you don't have that class yet, you are effed, the battle's lost. Good job. Stupid clownish patapon dialogs. Perfect drum hits are now nearly automatical, even if you are clearly off beat. Meden turned into a stone represents pretty much what's left of the previous two games. Expand
  9. May 31, 2012
    I was excited to play this since I loved the first two, but it ended up being a total let down. The primary problem is how involved multiplayer is. Patapon 2 snuck it in and that was okay, it didn't take away anything from the single player, but then with 3 they just went too far with it, so far that anyone who just wants to play it by themselves are SOL. I couldn't even finish the game II was excited to play this since I loved the first two, but it ended up being a total let down. The primary problem is how involved multiplayer is. Patapon 2 snuck it in and that was okay, it didn't take away anything from the single player, but then with 3 they just went too far with it, so far that anyone who just wants to play it by themselves are SOL. I couldn't even finish the game I got so bored of grinding. You grind and grind and grind, all the while the game keeps teasing you with levels you can't play and bosses you can't beat because they want you to join multiplayer. It's stupid, frustrating, and pointless. If a patapon 4 is made and they say one word about multiplayer, I'm steering clear. Expand
  10. Apr 30, 2014
    Nothing new and much regress. I went through whole game using only Pikeron hero without really paying any attention to skills/equipment/djinns or anything. No real challenge, zero thinking, just a lot of irritation. Blacksmith and armory seem unnecessary, as you cannot upgrade unique items - and you mostly use these in campaign. This makes ka-ching and crafting materials have no value.Nothing new and much regress. I went through whole game using only Pikeron hero without really paying any attention to skills/equipment/djinns or anything. No real challenge, zero thinking, just a lot of irritation. Blacksmith and armory seem unnecessary, as you cannot upgrade unique items - and you mostly use these in campaign. This makes ka-ching and crafting materials have no value. Village can no longer be expanded with new buildings and there is nothing to do there. Shop in which you can buy equipment and materials is also useless, as it's better to just farm for chests, which will yield the same with +xx already. But anyway you don't need it, since you use uniques. Dialogs are plainly stupid and world map is painfully repetitive - one stage for farm, one stage for VS battle and one stage with 3 levels with boss - do this a few times and you complete the game. Stages are also boring - no hidden secrets, just rush through as fast as you can toward end. Enemies are irritating - as the dragon in Savannah Stage, which has some kind of broken chain hanging from collar and it sometimes hits melee patapons and sometimes don't - for no apparent reason. And when it does, the damage is just ridiculous. And try to call a djinn in the middle of a fight. It causes you to lose control of patapons for a very very long time and makes you unable to evade boss attacks. In the end your party will be wiped out if you do that. So to sum up - most of game's features are broken or provide no value, gameplay is reduced to rushing through stages and farming uniques from chests. You don't need to plan and level up skills for synergies - just grab a better weapon and continue rushing. Expand

1. Oct 20, 2011
    A pretty and very entertaining 2D RTS slash bemani game. There's nothing quite like it, unless you count earlier Patapons. A bit repetitive, though. [May 2011]
  2. Jun 5, 2011
    The jaded mechanics of Patapon 3 are masked behind a stunning piece of art and repetitive gameplay, but it does enough to keep the fans happy.
    Patapon 3 is an amazing audiovisual game working based on proven principles. In the ever improving competition in mobile gaming Patapon could feel bit obsolete. [Issue#204]