• Publisher: Atlus
  • Release Date: Sep 20, 2011
8.7

1. Dec 29, 2012
    Persona 2 - Innocent Sin has a fantastic story and characters. However, the gameplay is extremely dated and archaic. Because this is a remake, Atlus keeping the gameplay largely the same is justified and doesn't factor into my score.
  2. Oct 3, 2011
    Persona 2 Innocent Sin returns players to a remastered, reinvented version of the game never released outside of Japan. Sporting a bizarre, but well-written story about rumours becoming reality and a clash with a mysterious figure known as "Master Joker", the game is a nigh perfect example of a classic-era JRPG.

That is...Until you get to the mechanics. Like it or hate it, Persona 2 is
    full (and I mean FULL) of random encounters with a somewhat clunky battle system. The battles are much improved over their PSX counterpart, but still show their age - some of the mechanics being either simplistic or a bit turned-around to get to.

That said, the encounter rate isn't too big of an issue as the battles are much quicker paced than in the original version and in the first Persona. You can now skip animations entirely to make the battles even faster than in SMT Persona, and believe me, you will come to appreciate it. Contacting demons is a lot smarter here - some of the questions demons ask you can actually throw you off, and the two and three person contacts can be fun. (Maya and Yukino = hilarity)

I am finding that I am really loving this game, however my recommendation comes with a caveat...If you do not like "oldschool", or otherwise aged RPGs, you will want to stay away from this one. If you want something unique and, like me, don't mind the clunkiness of some of the game's systems, then Persona 2 Innocent Sin is a must-have. It's $40 I will never regret spending.
  3. Nov 19, 2011
    Even after all these years this game has never lost its charm for me, I did played it on the PSOne and thoroughly enjoyed it back then. With the PSP released P2 has been given a face-lift and many minor improvements, the only problem that many people seems to be unhappy about are the long dungeons + high encounter rate but it's not exactly a bad thing the battle are fast-paced (in my opinion) and the dungeons are challenging although a bit trying at time. If you like Persona 1 for the PSP you may like this. Expand
  4. Dec 9, 2011
    About I don't know say 11 or so years later Innocent Sin finally graces our shores in a form other than a fan translation. While it isn't as polished as Persona 3 & 4 it stands up well on it's own. It's a good thing that a game made in 90's has more of a soul than most triple A games today. The battle system has been made easier, fusion spells are easier to do and easier to to contact demons slightly. That being said the fusion system this game is not as useful as it would prove to be in later games. You can beat the entire game with the main persona you get at the beginning of the game and use nothing but and you'll be fine at least on easy mode. Also some of the translations seem off but I've seen the entity of the fan translation online so it's not a big deal. The new theater mode is neat too offering three interesting side quests, and yes while the quest make was not added to the North American version I don't that's a big deal though some are mad about it. Story wise this game is great though it gets bogged by the annoying high encounter rate. Though there is meter and on screen map that will flat out tell you when monster showdowns will occur and the high encounter rate often means you won't have to level grind for the most part, though the battles can interrupt the flow of the story and it's also easy to miss certain things. The voice acting has improved from the 90's compared to Eternal Punishment. Though in the Persona 2 saga the silent protagonist makes little sense since the main character IS NOT a blank slate. But that's a little annoyance Persona 2 is still a very solid game. Expand
  5. Sep 25, 2011
    This is a very well made version of the original P2 from the PSX. It think is the best version and a great opportunity to experience the classic again. It´s true doesn`t have high-res graphics and can be a little frustating (lots of random battles), and also can confuse you, causing that you can get lost easily. But, appart from that, is a great game, with absorbing storyline, great character, with a lot of realism and humanity, good Ost, decent voice acting, and a fast-paced battle system. It fixes the weird grid battle system of the first Persona and makes it dynamic with the auto-battle. It has a lot of extras to obtain (theatre, fusion spells, secret tarot cards, secret bosses during the storyline...). It can be a little easy at early stages and it needs a high english level.

The problem with the notes is that you can´t expect a game up-to date, this is like Tactics Ogre, very respectful to the original, but enhanded and very well adapted to the original. I highly recommend it to Shin Megami Tensei and Persona fan who couldn´t experience the lost episode of Persona 2, and to those people who want to play an old-school RPG. If you don´t like the high amount of random battle, the classic game system, the complexity of the storyline (they don´t tell you well where to go) and maybe a very classic scheme, this is not a game for you. Beside of all, is one of the greatest RPGs of the PSX, and now, one of the best of the PSP.
  6. Nov 1, 2011
    Its a great game.Its been criticised for its high battle rate,but its necessary because you have to battle for experience and negotiate to obtain new personas.I don't think its aged at all,the same way i don't think FFVIII(for example) its aged,a great game will always be a great game even if its for psone or for NES.
  7. Nov 7, 2011
    Persona 2 Innocent Sin was well remade, I'm a big Shin Megami Tensei fan and playing Persona 2 brought back some memories. Like other Persona games, it has a immersive and a absorbing story line which really gets you thinking "whats's going to happen net?". Persona 2 gets a little frustrating with the high battle rates and what not but its easily understanable considering you need to gain experience and new personas. With a classic rpg styled game play its a easy going old school touch to it. Atlus has remastered another one of its masterpieces with more twists and turns with a perplexing story line, I highly recommend this! Expand
  8. Nov 24, 2011
    Atlus brings the never before released outside of Japan Persona 2 Innocent Sin to the whole world! Enjoy this cult classic game that has a storyline that involves spirits, demons, gods, goddesses, aliens and even the Nazis! Amazing Storyline, gorgeous music and a unique gameplay system, although some players might get shy away from this game due to its heightened difficulty and horrendous encounter rate. Regardless, if you are a hardcore RPG gamer or a huge fan of the Altus/Persona series, than this game is recommended to get right now! Expand
  9. Apr 11, 2013
    Simply put, the best persona game ever made, better then eternal punishment. better then persona 3 or 4, and better then the first one. Amazing music (There's a remade soundtrack but the original is better), AMAZING characters, this game probably has the best characters in any persona game, the persona 2 duology is the peek of the persona series, BUY THIS!
  10. Nov 20, 2013
    This game is fantastic, from the amazing story, to the colorful characters, to the obviously dated but still fun gameplay. This game stands as a gem in the PSP's library, and is a fantastic entry in the Persona series. The story completely pulled me in, there was just something gripping and amazing about this game. Another thing that I loved about this game is it's soundtrack. This game has an amazing....AMAZING soundtrack!

Overall this game gets a 9.5/10, amazing story and soundtrack, though the gameplay does hold it back a little bit.
  11. Sep 25, 2011

1. Jan 25, 2012
    A rather tame experience. [Feb 2012, p.82]
  2. Dec 17, 2011
    Old school JRPG with a few unique twists, strictly for genre fans. [Jan 2012, p.94]
  3. Persona 2 isn't for everyone. The esoteric style and ageing looks will see off many a curious gamer, but persevere through the niggles and you'll uncover a stylish, incredibly written, charismatic experience.