Silent Hill: Origins PSP

• Release Date: Nov 6, 2007
7.9

1. DirkD.
    Nov 11, 2007
    Completed the game in less than 4 hours. The game is ok for a handheld, but to be honest its the weakest Silent Hill game in the market. With few puzzles and bosses that are simple to beat the challenge is not so great. Breakable weapons also becomes a real pain in the butt after awhile.
  2. FrancuccioC.
    Nov 26, 2007
    A revolution in the silent hill saga, may be the best, but has some problems first the camera is like a kid without candies second is not a game that can be played outside, you must play it in a dark room with headphones third you can finish it in 5 hours, i agree that is a handheld console, but a game is made for entertain his owner for longtime by the way this is a "must have" for this console.
  3. May 31, 2012
    Origins may have it's faults but you have to take a few things into consideration about this game. Originally it was being developed by an American branch of Climax, but production was moving sluggishly and apparently was turning out so bad that a bunch of people got fired and the project was moved over to a UK branch of the studio... who had only about a year to rebuild the game from theOrigins may have it's faults but you have to take a few things into consideration about this game. Originally it was being developed by an American branch of Climax, but production was moving sluggishly and apparently was turning out so bad that a bunch of people got fired and the project was moved over to a UK branch of the studio... who had only about a year to rebuild the game from the ground up. That being addressed, I think the team did a great job on Origins. The main thing that put me off was the story and involvement of familiar characters. The Alessa tie-in was pointless and caused the plot to suffer as a whole, as it felt unfocused and no one aspect of it was touched on enough for you to care. Also the combat system is glitchy and inventory system is just ridiculous. But beyond those things I got everything I wanted in a portable silent hill game. Good exploration of the town and it's creepy buildings, disgusting monsters to face, cleverly executed puzzles and riddles, another awesome soundtrack from Akira Yamaoka, and an overall satisfying experience for a portable horror game. Expand
  4. Travis
    Jan 5, 2008
    This is the first Silent Hill game I've played and being a big Resident Evil fan i was thirsty for some portable survival horror. I haven't finished this yet but so far it's a great game and doesn't disappoint. The graphics are probably the best on the PSP. The real time lighting and shadows are AWESOME. It's more super natural based than RE so it's This is the first Silent Hill game I've played and being a big Resident Evil fan i was thirsty for some portable survival horror. I haven't finished this yet but so far it's a great game and doesn't disappoint. The graphics are probably the best on the PSP. The real time lighting and shadows are AWESOME. It's more super natural based than RE so it's definitely scary. There's one thing that I don't like which is the camera. It sucks. Some parts have a locked on view from somewhere in the room like in RE but then it switches and keeps changing the perspective which makes it difficult to tell where the hell you're going and where the hell the enemies are. Plus the controls for the character are based on the perspective of the camera and not the character (unlike RE) so when you press down to move the character down the screen, if the camera changes suddenly to behind the character, since you're pressing down he'll change direction and go back to where you walked from. This can get annoying. Apart from the camera and controls, the game is great fun and really freaky. You have to play this in the dark though because most of the time you're inside dark places so I wouldn't say this is the type of game to play on the go. Expand
  5. Matt
    Mar 17, 2008
    Honestly, as long-time fan of the series, Origins really didn't impress me. The graphics are good, but the overall mood isn't up to par with the level of emotional involvement in say SH2 or 3. Naturally expectations were a little lower given that this is a portable game but really, the music wasn't Yamaoka's best by a long shot, the combat is actually worse than beforeHonestly, as long-time fan of the series, Origins really didn't impress me. The graphics are good, but the overall mood isn't up to par with the level of emotional involvement in say SH2 or 3. Naturally expectations were a little lower given that this is a portable game but really, the music wasn't Yamaoka's best by a long shot, the combat is actually worse than before (the one-use weapons are absolutely lame), and more than anything...it wasn't scary. I played the game for about 4-5 hours and just couldn't keep going after that. Hopefully this studio's efforts to bring SH5 to next gen systems will be done a little more carefully. Expand
  6. ClareC.
    Nov 23, 2007
    Even scarier on the PSP! One of the best things on the handheld; if you want to show off your graphics this is the game!
  7. GioD.
    Nov 26, 2007
    Lay ur fears to rest, Climax did a phenomianl job. Like everyone else i thought this game was going to be disastrous. Taking a beloved franchise like silent hill and giving it to a new developer was a very risky move, but it paid off...damn did it pay off. Climax without a doubt captured the look, the feel, the pacing, the essence, and most importantly thet creepiness of what makes silent Lay ur fears to rest, Climax did a phenomianl job. Like everyone else i thought this game was going to be disastrous. Taking a beloved franchise like silent hill and giving it to a new developer was a very risky move, but it paid off...damn did it pay off. Climax without a doubt captured the look, the feel, the pacing, the essence, and most importantly thet creepiness of what makes silent hill....well, silent hill. And the music from Akira Yamaoka is once again haunting and beautiful all at once. The ONLY negative i have towards the game is that its very short. I beat it in a little over 4 hours. But being on how very good it is, its a very minor complaint. My apologies to Cimax for doubting u guys, u did a fantastic job. Lets hope The Collective does as good a job on silent hill 5. Expand
  8. RamanK.
    Nov 8, 2007
    Another excelent game, nice graphics and atmosphere. Make sure to play it in a dark room with your headphones on. Really scarry.
  9. J.R.
    Jan 3, 2008
    I cant believe they actually pulled it off! Silent Hill Origins works well as an entry into the series and I can only complain that it can be too generic at time and has a story thats less involved and emotionally draining than the other games.
  10. PaulBenware
    Aug 2, 2008
    The trip back to silent hill is done well on the psp. Not only did this game scare me nearly to death, but thegraphics are amazing. This is an awesome game and one to play with the lights off late at night. The melee system is very weak and could use some work and the camera angles may take away from the experience. Complaints aside this game ROCKS!!!
    If you own a psp and need to get your
    If you own a psp and need to get your horror fix you must get this game!
  11. TomR.
    Nov 12, 2007
    Wow! this is like SH1 and 2 wrapped up in a torrid lovefest of horror that will haunt me... _forever_
  12. LukeD.
    Nov 19, 2007
    An absoloutely outstanding game puts you in the shoes of an innocent truck driver, the puzzles are really interesting and seriously freaky stuff!
  13. DustyK.
    Nov 8, 2007
    This game definitely is a departure from the other games. The quality of the desgn and atmosphere is not as great as the first four games because a US team thought they could develop it. This game is pretty bad in general, bad AI, glitches, and a conflicting story that makes no sense to me, as a fan of Silent Hill 1.
  14. ErlendT.
    Dec 25, 2007
    Silent Hill back to form. A bit short and easy and does suffer from some of the usual SH symptoms, but all in all a great return after The Room.
  15. GautamM.
    Dec 28, 2007
    Ok. I'll be honest.I have never played a Silent Hill game before this.So it was a totally new experience for me.When i saw this game for the first time what really stunned me was the quality of visuals and lighting.Probably the best on the PSP.As i progressed further in the game i actually started realising how scary this game actually was. The first time I saw the nurse coming to Ok. I'll be honest.I have never played a Silent Hill game before this.So it was a totally new experience for me.When i saw this game for the first time what really stunned me was the quality of visuals and lighting.Probably the best on the PSP.As i progressed further in the game i actually started realising how scary this game actually was. The first time I saw the nurse coming to attack me I almost threw away the PSP in shock.The music and sound effects have never been better for any other game.The music was truly truly disturbing.But the most important thing i will remember about Silent Hill was its quality of puzzles.They were absolutely BRILLIANT.As subtle as they could have made them and yet solvable.Without giving away too much,to give you an example of the genius of the puzzles,my favourite puzzle was one where you have to activate a calender to get a key.The way the date was to be found was absolute brilliance on the part of the designers.It was a EUREKA moment when i realised i got the puzzle.Most puzzles in the game will have you scratching your head but you will have genuine satisfaction written all over your face when you solve them.Now being a BIG Resident Evil fan i didn't think this title would stand up to my expectations.But it was much better than what u ever thought it would be.From most reviews i have read a common gripe was that of manually switching between worlds.Now as i haven't played any other SH game before i thought this was quite an amazing layer of puzzle solving(because lets face it,its primarily a puzzle solving game).I really enjoyed the fact that you could shift between worlds and use both worlds to progress in the game.So in short one of the best games i have played on any console in a while.Now the complaints.The most common one...the camera.The cinematic camera was clearly a bad idea when u dont have a strong camera control mechanism and especially when the enemies are invisible to you and you cant adjust the camera to face them is really,REALLY frustrating.The combat itself was weak and flat.It was kind of funny to see a truck driver killing the devil incarnate with his fists(yes thats how i did it).The guns in the game didn't seem to have any depth to them.The melee weapons didn't seem to differ to much from each other.And combat as such was flawed due to poor camera control.Also the inventory system HAS to be improved(as it has to be done with all survival horror games).Inspite of these problems,SH is an incredibly addictive,albeit short,game that grips you like a fever from the word go.This could very easily be the flagship for horror titles on the PSP.Go for it definitely.A thumbs up. Expand
  16. RichardW.
    Dec 8, 2007
    This game is very underrated. It is the best portable survival horror game to date, and I found it very enjoyable. Don't pass this one up, it's a great game!
  17. AramisG.
    Dec 17, 2007
    I enjoyed most everything about this game. It captured the feel of Silent Hill 1, more so than any of the other games in series. Yeah, it could have been longer, but what is here is pretty effective. My only complaints are the cut-scenes, which are poorly done and obvious, the breakable weapons (I doubt a meat cleaver is going to break), and the final boss (looks a little stupid, like the I enjoyed most everything about this game. It captured the feel of Silent Hill 1, more so than any of the other games in series. Yeah, it could have been longer, but what is here is pretty effective. My only complaints are the cut-scenes, which are poorly done and obvious, the breakable weapons (I doubt a meat cleaver is going to break), and the final boss (looks a little stupid, like the original monsters planned for this game). Overall a step in the right direction from the lame Silent Hill 4. Expand
  18. Jan 6, 2013
    Very good game! Silent Hill: Origins features an excellent graphics and performance combination for the PS Vita. Good gameplay and bad/ok longevity. Graphics and performance: 8- (7.75); Longevity: 5 ½ (5.5); Gameplay: 6+ (6.25); Plot: 6 ½; Sound: 7. OVERALL SCORE: 6 ½ [6.6] (6.5 out of 10 [Very good])
  19. Nov 29, 2012
    One of my favorite games on the PSP, i would like to play it on vita :(. But now the review. This game is a good silent hill, nice monster concept, the bosses impressed me, the new breakable weapons are a little boring but it is realistic. This is one of the games that i can replay and replay and i don't get tired of it. Good job on this one Konami, way better than Homecoming.
  20. Dec 16, 2012
    This game is an amazing adventure. I remember playing this a few years ago, back when PSP was released. Reviewing this right now is something nostalgic for me, but this game, for it's time and for being one of the PSP's first games, is an amazing adventure.

Gameplay: 8/10 - Easy controls and nice camera. Graphics: 8/10 - Good enough to immerse you into the game. Music: 8/10 - Sad and

Gameplay: 8/10 - Easy controls and nice camera.
    Graphics: 8/10 - Good enough to immerse you into the game.
    Music: 8/10 - Sad and depressing music (which is good).
    Story: 9/10 - Perfect story for such an adventure.

1. Short, but sweet and--if you followed the game's initial advice--truly scary. [Dec 2007, p.83]
  2. This is not some side-story relegated to the PSP, but a true new chapter worthy of its name and console-sized in scope. [Nov 2007, p.77]
  3. Origins unfortunately also falls prey to the series' most notorious pitfall--crappy combat. [Dec 2007, p.128]