6.2

1. JohnnyNumber5
    Sep 7, 2009
    This game is E-P-I-C. This is the ultimate Soul Caliber experience on the go. If you remember playing the supremely excellent Tekken on the PSP then this will be very familiar. The game has new characters (KRATOS!!!!), tons of customization, great controls, varied game modes and even local multiplayer. The only complaint I could register is the lack of Infrastructure mode AKA online This game is E-P-I-C. This is the ultimate Soul Caliber experience on the go. If you remember playing the supremely excellent Tekken on the PSP then this will be very familiar. The game has new characters (KRATOS!!!!), tons of customization, great controls, varied game modes and even local multiplayer. The only complaint I could register is the lack of Infrastructure mode AKA online multiplayer. But, the game has pretend lobbies where the computer takes on the identity of multiple online players. This is the definitive Soul Caliber experience for those hungry for more. In my opinion, this Soul Caliber game on PSP is better and has more depth than the Street Fighter IV game on the PS3! This is as good as it gets people! Don't deprive yourself of a fun experience. Go out and give this game a real try and you will be happy you did. Expand
  2. JohnO
    Nov 19, 2009
    Even the augmented game modes can't detract from this game being the smoothest and most beautiful fighter on any handheld ever. It's jaw-droppingly good. Yes... that good! Contrary to what a former poster has said, it offers very little by way of true multi-player, though it is possible to play ad hoc and there is a faux multiplayer mode. It is pretty much a single player Even the augmented game modes can't detract from this game being the smoothest and most beautiful fighter on any handheld ever. It's jaw-droppingly good. Yes... that good! Contrary to what a former poster has said, it offers very little by way of true multi-player, though it is possible to play ad hoc and there is a faux multiplayer mode. It is pretty much a single player experience for which, inexplicably, the makers have to decided not to include the normal arcade mode - at least by name anyway - instead including a 'trials' mode (effectively the same deal though, sadly, there is no character unlocking). Still, this is one of THE very best fighters available for the PSP and you'd be mad to miss it. Had it offered true online play and an arcade mode I would have given it a 10. As it stands.... 8/10 Expand
  3. Sep 3, 2010
    This game is beast! It's still my prime reason of my PSP purchase as this keeps me busy for hours in a row!
    Excellent quality. I wish more people could see the extraordinary value of this portable game. I'm absolutly addicted to this one!
  4. chrise
    Sep 17, 2009
    I think namco did a lovely job with this version.The single player might be a bit boring on the long run but the entire game shouldn't be judged by that alone.The game screams quality from the minute you put it on and start pulling off moves and i personally like the inclusion of kratos. i will recommend it to anyone who is either new or has been a fan of the franchise.
  5. ArmonA
    Sep 8, 2009
    Kratos ftw this game is truly amazing. A very fun psp game. You can't ask for much more on a portable gaming system.
  6. JamesD
    Dec 9, 2009
    Although the lack of any kind of story dampens the longevity, the one on one bouts are still as engaging and as appealing on the PSP than they ever were.
  7. Shaunny
    Dec 15, 2009
    First of all, I'd like to declare that I own this game on the Xbox360, and in comparison to graphics and accuracy, I can confidently say that the similarities and shear visuals are just as amazing, which is highly surprising for a portable console. It also contains fully customisable characters, so you could create your own avatar of your favourite fighting style. Huge plus since IFirst of all, I'd like to declare that I own this game on the Xbox360, and in comparison to graphics and accuracy, I can confidently say that the similarities and shear visuals are just as amazing, which is highly surprising for a portable console. It also contains fully customisable characters, so you could create your own avatar of your favourite fighting style. Huge plus since I like making some kick ass chicas, which may not make you too popular with the girls, but huge kudos from your mates when you kick tail! The library of moves, speed of loading (even if not installed), number of characters and playability is brilliant. If you have never experienced the game before, it is a steep learning curve. Help is at hand with the tutorial mode, but it is lacking the demos for the technics (and also the player moves), which could prove to be useful. The single player mode, although lacking by some degree has elements of other fighting games, such as Virtual Fighter 5. Each computer player stat represents the difficulty of your opponent, in which you have a selection of 10 or so at a time, to attempt to defeat them all. All in all, there are about 200 cpu players with varying difficulties, and some of which are customised avatars. You also unlock bonuses for demonstrating certain skills during a fight, or for sustaining an unbeaten run, which is a good and somewhat difficult challenge. There are also other modes to check you fighting technics, and the multilayer which I am yet to experience, but can only imagine it to be even better, as well as a good level of setting, making this a superb game to own, with a hugh replayability factor. I use mine to practise on xbox live, and it has given my online rating a huge boost. If you have a psp, this is one game you can't miss out on!
  8. Jan 5, 2013
    From reading the reviews on this site, there must be some very lonely Soul Calibur players out there since there are a lot of low scores for a lack of online play. While it's true, a lack of infrastructure mode is a little disappointing, it barely detracts from the gem Namco have crafted with this version of the franchise. Visually, for a PSP game it's stunning. How the PSP is able toFrom reading the reviews on this site, there must be some very lonely Soul Calibur players out there since there are a lot of low scores for a lack of online play. While it's true, a lack of infrastructure mode is a little disappointing, it barely detracts from the gem Namco have crafted with this version of the franchise. Visually, for a PSP game it's stunning. How the PSP is able to display so much pretty without catching fire is beyond me, and running so smoothly that you can't take your eyes off the fight for a second without being punished for it. It's like an apology for the mess that was Soul Calibur 4, and feels like the true sequel to Soul Calibur 2. The fighting mechanics are spot on, with the controls feeling just as crisp and sharp as the versions on console. Ad-Hoc multiplayer is there, as is character customisation, which has given me hours of fun as I destroy my friends using Mitsurugi dressed as Santa. Of course, this does require you to have friends in real life, and not just on the Playstation Network. A lack of arcade mode is a little odd, as this game is a mostly single player experience, but there are a good number of ghosts to fight against, and enough game modes to justify the no-doubt budget price it has probably become (in the second-hand shops) since the release of the Vita. Overall, a great PSP fighter that survives well on its own, but is best enjoyed with friends. Expand
  9. Jan 13, 2013
    There's so much content here that you'll be occupied for weeks. The fighting itself also is solid and makes building characters and using them even more satisfying than ever before. Its also fair to say this is a game that looks stunning. Not only for PSP standards, but on par with some PS3 games.

#7 Most Discussed PSP Game of 2009
#9 Most Shared PSP Game of 2009

1. Soul Calibur: Broken Destiny effectively manages to translate the home console experience into a portable one, preserving both the original gameplay and characters. Nice to play and to look at, thanks to the great graphics, it has a limited longevity, though.
  2. Unfortunately, the main single-player mode feels like an extended tutorial, and the multiplayer options are limited to ad-hoc. Fortunately, there are plenty of options for customization, and the trials and versus modes are always fun.
  3. It may only be fans of the series who will take advantage of everything the game has to offer, but the excellent job Namco have done in bringing Soulcalibur to the PSP is clear for everyone to see.