Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Essentials PSP

• Release Date: Mar 21, 2006
7.5

1. DjFIL
    May 21, 2006
    Reviwers were pretty harsh on this game. It's only got 2 main issues in my opinion... there is lots of graphic clipping issues... but more importantly (and maybe reviwers took this as the big reason for low marks) is the static camera, you must move the camera manualy by holding the circle... it kinda sucks (especially in tense gun down kinda situations)... but if you plan out your Reviwers were pretty harsh on this game. It's only got 2 main issues in my opinion... there is lots of graphic clipping issues... but more importantly (and maybe reviwers took this as the big reason for low marks) is the static camera, you must move the camera manualy by holding the circle... it kinda sucks (especially in tense gun down kinda situations)... but if you plan out your moves (as you should in a stealth game like Splinter Cell) you'll be able to deal with the camera issue just fine. Beyond those 2 issues, this game is everything you'd expect or want from a handheld version of Splinter Cell. It may not be a purchase, but I'm glad I rented it to play through while on my night shift. Expand
  2. NathanielS.
    Jul 10, 2006
    I just loved the game.
  3. DonT.
    Mar 27, 2006
    I Really Wanted to like this game! Unfortunately, it's loaded with crash bugs, camera clipping problems, and horrible controls. That's Ubisoft for ya! You did the same with my favorite series Prince of Persia on PSP! As for graphics; the screenshots everywhere on the net look very good, and they had really gotten me pumped for the release. However, The majority of the game is I Really Wanted to like this game! Unfortunately, it's loaded with crash bugs, camera clipping problems, and horrible controls. That's Ubisoft for ya! You did the same with my favorite series Prince of Persia on PSP! As for graphics; the screenshots everywhere on the net look very good, and they had really gotten me pumped for the release. However, The majority of the game is Black (not dark...just balck!) and you end up having to use the night vision all the time. This wouldn't be so bad if the night vision didn't look so bad. If you think this game looks great, then I'm guessing you're comparing it to the DS or something 'cause the newer games like Syphon Filter and Daxter make this Splinter Cell look rather weak. As for the controls, I got used to it after a while, but not being able to shoot and move at the same time was REALLY not intuitive. Maybe it's because I played quite a bit of Syphon Filter and got spoiled by thier controls, but Essential's control implementation lacked finish and forethought. Example: the analog on the PSP is WAY too sensitive and you try to sneak by moving the nub just a bit and end up running: not the outcome you're expecting! Expand
  4. GregB.
    Mar 28, 2006
    The first few levels do not impress, the controls are uncomfortable at first (especially if you have been playing SOCOM and Syphon Filter), and re-loading from a Checkpoint takes longer than I would like, but... ...I am really enjoying this game! Graphics: Weak in the early, outdoor, missions - GREAT in the indoor missions. And NO framerate issues that I could find. The environments also The first few levels do not impress, the controls are uncomfortable at first (especially if you have been playing SOCOM and Syphon Filter), and re-loading from a Checkpoint takes longer than I would like, but... ...I am really enjoying this game! Graphics: Weak in the early, outdoor, missions - GREAT in the indoor missions. And NO framerate issues that I could find. The environments also have lots of stuff in them - not the empty rooms that you see in SOCOM (I love SOCOM, btw). The controls are fine. Really. And you may prefer the Alternative setting, which is very close to the default setting in Syphon Filter (analog stick move you, buttons on the right aim). I do fine with the default controls given that this is a splinter cell game - so I spend time stationary and looking around. Just hold down the circle and freelook with the analog stick. Works just fine, thank you. And the level design is really good. These are FUN levels and I don't feel the need for super-duper precise timing or having to have a Walkthrough handy to get through the levels. I'm on Mission 9 now (NSA) and I'm not an expert gamer by any means. I've also found how to unlock all three of the bonus missions. Collapse
  5. chris
    Apr 8, 2006
    i have enjoyed playing the game i think the atmosphere in the jungleand the oil platform is cool i cant fault it after a while you get used to the controls after all its a psp game not a mouse or keyboard like on pc.Wat do you people expect. I love the game and would recomend anyone to hire it out from video stores as for buying the game i think it a bit pricy
  6. DavidM.
    May 9, 2006
    I personally think it's a great game, which goes back throughout the Splinter Cell series. The gameplay is relatively good, and all the favoured game style is in there.
  7. AllyP.
    Mar 22, 2006
    All I can say is get Syphon Filter not this game!
  8. JohnF.
    Mar 25, 2006
    A all around good game that suffers from the UMD's shortcomings. All in all, an amazing game held back by its PSP host.
  9. JakeC.
    Mar 26, 2006
    I have all of the Splinter Cell games and like them all. This one is basically the same as all the rest except the camera controls are a little hard to use so if you liked all of the previous SC games this one is about the same as all the rest.
  10. BobK.
    Apr 19, 2006
    when I got this game on easter sunday it looked ace from the back. But when i started it was bad the controls were horrible and it was really hard but when i got into it it was very good. The stealth is top class. I never liked Splinter Cell games until i played this i think it has won me over!
  11. YanniK.
    Apr 21, 2006
    I
  12. JordanS.
    May 24, 2007
    This is an amazing game. the graphics are very good although i found that for most of the game i had to play using night vision. I like how splinter cell essentials tells the whole story of the splinter cell saga through the different missions.
  13. Nov 13, 2014
    Did not like the game much. The militaristic/stealth setting is great and shooting/melee attacks from surprise were fun, but overall Essentials is way too hard for non-hardcore splinter cell gamer. High difficulty, complicated controls, often unclear/obscure mission objectives, and also in some places somewhat busted technically. Only for die hard fans of stealth games.
  14. May 9, 2012
    Amazing game indeed. Played it through holding my breath! Stealth elements are made very well, the storyline is also catchy.

#11 Most Discussed PSP Game of 2006
#28 Most Shared PSP Game of 2006

1. The AI is so basic that it is possible to rush through many areas without fear of getting hurt or even getting noticed. Even if you do decide you’re going to take it slow, it is a lottery as to whether some enemies will detect you or not.
  2. To make an embarrassing story short, Splinter Cell: Essentials is a mess. For a series that leads the stealth genre and has worked hard to make itself more accessible and more polished with each successive sequel, an entry like this—even on a portable— can only be seen as a miserable failure.
  3. Play UK
    Fans of the series should be prepared for a fight if they want to get the most out of the game. [Issue#139, p.75]