9.2

1. Sep 17, 2011
    I love the descriptions in other reviews calling Ys antiquated. Who would have thought a game made in 1987 would feel antiquated by today's standards.

That aside, it's great to hear how troubled today's players are by its gameplay and storytelling. I'm sorry children, Adol doesn't talk much, and you're not going to be spoonfed what's going on during his adventures. You simply have to pay
    attention and use your imagination (and read the **** in-game books)

I don't have a button to attack? Deal with it. It's hilarious how the only justification for this system being bad is "it's old".

The level cap is too low? Oh dear me, I didn't know it was wrong to challenge people by putting the stats against you.

If the only thing left to answer is, "Why re-release it?", it's called opening it up to a new platform. To anyone who actually bothered to play it on DS before comparing it, the visual differences are clearly noticable, and the PSP version has the remastered soundtracks/visuals as well as the old ones from the PC-88 and complete versions.
  2. Aug 3, 2013
    Simply the best game ever. Screw those reviewers! It's a wonderfully told story with flawless gameplay and art. Every gamer should play it. Even your mom.
  3. Mar 27, 2014
    I never played Ys until I bought this on impulse a few months ago. I don't understand how reviewers can call this game antiquated or too old to be appreciated by modern standards. I loved the game(s). The soundtracks for both are among the best I've ever heard (with the ability to switch between 3 different versions!), the graphics are sharp and clean and the combat felt fresh and fast-paced compared to simply mashing the attack button in some modern action games. The first game was a little light on story, but it had enough there to satisfy, and the second game opened up and expanded everything about the first, creating a memorable experience that sticks with you.

If you're unsure that you'd like the game or that it'd be too old now to enjoy, then I'd tell you not to worry. If you enjoy action games, you owe it to yourself to buy this game. You'll want to invest hours and hours into it and you'll certainly be happy that you did.

1. Apr 6, 2011
    Ys I & II Chronicles may not be the first release of this two part adventure it is without a doubt the best version.
  2. Mar 30, 2011
    Ys I & II deserve their honored place in history, but from now on, they should probably stay there.
  3. Mar 28, 2011
    Honestly, I don't know if you'll enjoy these original Ys games, but as an old school gamer that is still in love with the classics, I greatly appreciate being able to play them again. Your enjoyment will be limited by your ability to handle unforgiving combat and a red haired protagonist that has no voice.