8.4

1. Nov 4, 2010
    This is a very polarizing game for me to play. I first played this game on the SNES way back in the day and even played the remake on the Playstation 2, which in my opinion is the better version of Ys III. I think this game really shined as a side-scroller and I don't know if I like the PSP version in 3D. The analog nub does not work well with how this game is supposed to play and causesThis is a very polarizing game for me to play. I first played this game on the SNES way back in the day and even played the remake on the Playstation 2, which in my opinion is the better version of Ys III. I think this game really shined as a side-scroller and I don't know if I like the PSP version in 3D. The analog nub does not work well with how this game is supposed to play and causes gamers to miss simple jumps that they should never miss. The voice acting gets you through the story but that's about it. This is a classic game but I don't think it does well in this generation of games. Given the play control alone, I wouldn't give this game over a 5, but I think the additions to the story really make the game more convoluted than it really should be so I am deducting a point for that too. The soundtrack is pretty much the same as what I have heardin past Ys III versions so I'm not going to add any points for that either. This is a so-so game on the PSP and I really anticipated more. Good thing I didn't buy the LE. Expand
  2. Nov 6, 2010
    Having played some of Xseed's other games, I didn't expect much going into this one. It turned out that that I was right not to hope for much. Ys: The Oath in Felghana is another classic example of a male-chauvenistic world. For some reason, the developers of this game think that Adol, the silent, red-haired protagonist is so sexy that women are just going to fall all over him. From aHaving played some of Xseed's other games, I didn't expect much going into this one. It turned out that that I was right not to hope for much. Ys: The Oath in Felghana is another classic example of a male-chauvenistic world. For some reason, the developers of this game think that Adol, the silent, red-haired protagonist is so sexy that women are just going to fall all over him. From a female standpoint, this is male game geekism at its best...though I'm not saying this as a compliment. I'm also looking at the huge contrast between some of these high and low scores and wondering if we've just got a huge number of Ys fans and haters having a turf battle instead of being objective. Despite this, I agree with some of the positive and negative points.

Story: The character development is for the most part pretty iffy and I hardly found any of the interactions between Adol and the supporting cast to feel that believable. This is just me, but for someone who reads a lot of books, I found this to be one of this games biggest weak points. The world is also really skewed in its perspective of both men and women. Men are all macho and women take a back seat and look like a bunch of whiny babies waiting for Adol to come to the rescue. I just don't agree with that idea that women should be made out to look like people who are incapable of helping themselves.

Music: The music is good at first, but the actual tracks themselves are too short so after hearing them repeat so many times without any variation, even these start to become annoying.

Action: The action is good too...for a while. The only problem I had with the hack-and-slash part is that it offers little variety so I ended up just doing what works best. Basically the best way to beat the enemies is just go crazy on the attack button and use the wind magic if there are a lot of enemies. This works on most bosses too, but admittedly some were really hard and it made the experience not as fun. I really hated with a passion the pits I fell down and had to retrace my steps because of one little mistake. I kind of felt like all these mistakes could have been avoided if this game were on a console and I had a real controller in hand. This game doesn't feel suitable for a portable game system and is actually quite irksome in more than just a few places because of the control scheme.

Stages: They are okay in general, but nothing really noteworthy as the graphics are just kind of there instead of any really drop-dead-gorgeous landscapes like you might see in a Prince of Persia, Tales, or even a Final Fantasy game that you would want to visit again and again. The artwork is nice but it really clashes with the low resolution graphics. I was surprised to find that there is only one town in the whole game which in the end seems like it would be impossible for Redmont to even exist given the lack of people living there, let alone the Illburn Ruins or Valestein Castle. This seems really short-sighted on the game developers part and prevents the world from having that convincing touch. This criticism mainly comes from my having read and played tons of books and games. The game is also way too short. I've actually got more game time out of some free demos than I got with this one.

Replay Value: If the story was good I would say that there is replay value and while there are many difficulty levels, it doesn't change the outcome of the game so there is little if any reason to give this game another run through.

My critique of this game is that it is basically an rpg with some action elements, nothing special, nothing fancy, and is it worth buying? I would have a hard time recommending this game to anyone unless they for some reason are more interested in anime girls than real ones. I think there are many other games that will give someone a more fulfilling experience.
  3. Nov 3, 2010
    Ys: The Oath in Felghana is a mediocre game for the PSP with nothing to make it stand out except some fancy artwork that unfortunately doesn't help the gaming experience. Before this game was released, everyone raved about the soundtrack and controls, but they are nothing to write home about. The stages prove to be annoying as the platforming elements don't work as well as they should andYs: The Oath in Felghana is a mediocre game for the PSP with nothing to make it stand out except some fancy artwork that unfortunately doesn't help the gaming experience. Before this game was released, everyone raved about the soundtrack and controls, but they are nothing to write home about. The stages prove to be annoying as the platforming elements don't work as well as they should and I often found myself having to trek back through the entire level again and again after falling or being knocked into a pit. This proved to be immensely annoying. The characters were mediocre, the story was even less of an epic that XSEED made it out to be, and all in all, this left me never wanting another Ys game again. If this is the best action/role-playing game that this company produces, I think the whole creative team should look to find new jobs because this experience doesn't stack up against the kind of quality we are getting from most other companies producing this type of game. Expand
  4. Nov 6, 2010
    Simply put, this is one of the worst games ever on the Playstation Portable System. Ys: The Oath in Felghana has absolutely nothing to offer and does a number of things wrong. Platforming is bad. Voice-acting is bad. Story is bad.

If you're in the market for a hard, oldschool and action-filled JRPG, look no further than the latest chapter of Ys.
  2. It's distracting rather than involving. [Apr 2011, p.101]